Accident

Forkinhades

Ok here is the result of this.

Got 'summoned' to the police station, The motorbike taxi driver was there, together with the lady that got hurt in the accident.

The lady wanted 60,000 baht, my insurance offered her 35,000 (I gave her 10,000, as she was clearly hurt and seemed a sweet old lady)

Heres the rub, the motorbike taxi (who had NO license and NO insurance) wanted 10,000 baht, my insurance told him to <deleted> off basically, as he should not have been on the road, and my insurance obviously knew that. So now the motorbike is threatening me to go to court, and the police are saying immigration will get involved, and I will get deported!

Anyway cut a long story short, I paid the motorbike taxi 7,000 and ALSO had to pay the police 10,000 to stop deportation! not sure what the charge was going to be, but I know of a case of a fralang going to court, and the police said dont worry, you will just get a 500 baht fine and thats will it, he went to court got 1 months suspended prison sentence, and GOT deported! So I sure as hel_l was not going to go to court!

Edited by Forkinhades

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here is the result of this.

Got 'summoned' to the police station, The motorbike taxi driver was there, together with the lady that got hurt in the accident.

The lady wanted 60,000 baht, my insurance offered her 35,000 (I gave her 10,000, as she was clearly hurt and seemed a sweet old lady)

Heres the rub, the motorbike taxi (who had NO license and NO insurance) wanted 10,000 baht, my insurance told him to <deleted> off basically, as he should not have been on the road, and my insurance obviously knew that. So now the motorbike is threatening me to go to court, and the police are saying immigration will get involved, and I will get deported!

Anyway cut a long story short, I paid the motorbike taxi 7,000 and ALSO had to pay the police 10,000 to stop deportation! not sure what the charge was going to be, but I know of a case of a fralang going to court, and the police said dont worry, you will just get a 500 baht fine and thats will it, he went to court got 1 months suspended prison sentence, and GOT deported! So I sure as hel_l was not going to go to court!

I'm not sure that I wouldn't have done exactly the same in your position, but I seriously don't believe you would have been deported. That was a baseless threat so that the police could get their share of the pie. Anyway it's over now and you can go on with your life without this crap hanging over you.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Could have got a lawyer involved, but that was going to be an expense also, probably about what I paid out :)

Yep. Once you are in their sights you are pretty much screwed. Just write it off as it being your turn to take it up the arse. It could have been worse.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Could have got a lawyer involved, but that was going to be an expense also, probably about what I paid out :)

Yes agree, but if we foreigners keep paying them all the time each and everyone it would change anything.

Suggestion, Thai Visa setting up some proffesional people include Thai lawyers, members can get advice on legal issues and get for reduced price a good lawyer. Each member pay a few baht each month.

From second hand experiances. She will try it on - might involve a friendly policeman to apply pressure to you. Be firm, refer to insurance company, if they keep coming at you tell policeman that you will progress a case against the taxi driver for damages to your car and the failure of police to prosicute him for illegal driving etc etc. you aim is to create a greater and greater issue, involve more people. Take pictures and say you will publish details on the internet.

The British Television programme Trouble in Thailand has propergated higher levels in Thailand and they are begining to understand that bad publicity can affect the country.

If you have a freindly policeman it might be worth talking to them.

Depends how much is being sought.

Just to show I'm not just another armchair expert, I took on a guy in a pickup that knocked over my parked motorbike two weeks ago - I got money out of him after roping in my friendly policeman.

You got srewed by the police, no way you would get deported for that. But in the end you still got away ok, Court Case would have cost you. It doesnt matter if the Taxi Guy had Licence or not, he is the weaker and you were in the wrong, you pay him. However the Police could fine him for not having the paper in order.

Reading some of the comments here I am not sure if the OP did drive into a Human or a Buffalo. :)

This Woman has every right to get compensated for what happend to her. And no, I would also not go to a cheap hospital if I would know that a proper Insurance is covering the cost.

Precisely. You ran into the back of her, the accident was your fault. Why should she do you, or your insurance company, a favour by going to a cheap hospital?

The Bangkok Pattaya is well known for its exorbitant prices, also would like to point out, that if it was thai/thai accident, they would have gone to a much cheaper hospital in the local area.

Added to which, she is entitled to compensation as she has been unable to work due to your negligence . . . why do you consider it 'trying it on'?

Put yourself in her shoes, would you act differently or do you have this 'all Thais are out for my money' attitude?

Again I echo, the thais see a fralang in an accident, and go straight to the most expensive hospital. They all think we are millionaires, and have an attitude of go forth and multiply the fralang.

Yeah I always thought that if you ran into someone it would be your fault. From experience I can say that this is not the case in Thailand. I once braked hard because the cars in front braked. I was hit by a car from behind who didn't brake hard enough. Luckily, the insurance sorted it all out as the damage was minimal BUT the fault was mine for braking too hard!!!!!!!.

Another time I was accused of backing into a large pick-up bending it's metal crash bar by 3 or 4 centimeters. I was driving a dirty CRV and not a single mark in the dusty plastic bumper. Still they demanded 5000 baht or police action but I managed to get them down to 1000 baht to avoid involving the police even though I knew I had done nothing wrong.

It's always a case of paying up

Thai laws simply don't follow western laws.

In this case she is just trying to get as much out of you as possible.

Anyway cut a long story short, I paid the motorbike taxi 7,000 and ALSO had to pay the police 10,000 to stop deportation!

You did what?

Did you go to the police station alone or take a Thai friend to assist with you?

I think she is just trying it on, tell her to contact your insurance company and not to contact you again. If the police want you they will send for you.

In accidents like this there are two levels. 1st is the police, legal, aspects of it and 2nd is the civil part which she is trying out on you. As said, have the insurance guy deal with her.

Tell the greedy bitch to fuc_k off

Anyway cut a long story short, I paid the motorbike taxi 7,000 and ALSO had to pay the police 10,000 to stop deportation!

You did what?

Did you go to the police station alone or take a Thai friend to assist with you?

I was assisted by a thai woman, who spoke very good english, and by the way the insurance guy said that 'she' should work for his company as she spoke very good english

You must be kidding, if you went by American law you would have paid a lot more,You decided to drive on Thai streets, ignorant of Thai law and complain when you by your own words state you ran into the taxi from behind,

The taxi driver also broke the law and will be fined for his crimes, Where I live the fine for driving without a licence is 200 baht, your insurance company is paid to represent you and they did not, if any one is at fault in this situation it is the insurance company, that did not look out for your interest for which you are paying them to do.

This is not the West! in America if the other person was at fault, and you are uninsured, the law finds you automatically at fault and make you financially responsible for the damage covering the complete accident.In Mexico if you get in an accident there resulting in injury ,it is a criminal offence and you can go to prison as a result of an accident.

You choose to drive in a country that you know nothing about your driving responsibility. It also is true you can be deported for breaking Thai law and refusing to comply with the law, which also includes compensation for the damage to the taxi driver and motorbike.

There are so very logical reasons many Falangs choose not to drive a car in Thailand!

Cheers: :)

." It also is true you can be deported for breaking Thai law and refusing to comply with the law, which also includes compensation for the damage to the taxi driver and motorbike."

Please explain how a simple traffic accident can result in deportation and blacklisting.

Nonsense.

philw

." It also is true you can be deported for breaking Thai law and refusing to comply with the law, which also includes compensation for the damage to the taxi driver and motorbike."

Please explain how a simple traffic accident can result in deportation and blacklisting.

Nonsense.

philw

You would be amazed at how impossible things can blossom..

Someone I know has been sentenced to a year in jail, because a Thai ran into his PARKED CAR while he was asleep in bed !!

At this point I dont know if he will be blacklisted after he is deported or simply deported. He owns a resort and everything.

It's quite easy to run into the back of somebody after they pull out in front of you.

I have had to slam my brakes on many an occasion because of erratic behaviour in front.

yeah Livin LOS "Thai (Wild West) Justice". You falang you wrong.

The law is clear on this. If you hit someone from behind - you are at fault. Need to be able to control your motor vehicle.

I have slowed my speed considerably now, I go 30 klicks on the small roads, and 50 klicks on a dual carriageway. Getting all kinds of honks and beeps from behind. I wonder do these people beep and honk at the food sidecars, that drive at aboiut 15 klicks, or even the advertising vehicles you get!

Thinking of selling the car now, just not worth it.

I have slowed my speed considerably now, I go 30 klicks on the small roads, and 50 klicks on a dual carriageway. Getting all kinds of honks and beeps from behind. I wonder do these people beep and honk at the food sidecars, that drive at aboiut 15 klicks, or even the advertising vehicles you get!

Thinking of selling the car now, just not worth it.

Were you driving a car or a tank?