Why U Chose Pattaya To Live At?

chillibilly

This topic could be like opening a can of worms you know? It'll be interesting to read the responses you get!

I chose Pattaya ten years ago because it was like nowhere else I had ever been and it was so easy to settle into an uncomplicated expat life style.

Then I met my future wife and several years later I am very happy with everything apart from the change in Pattaya.

It used to be friendly, exciting, a bit edgy and above all great fun.

Overexposure to (often abysmally behaved) expats has left Pattaya with a bad taste in its' mouth and a real intolerance of foreigners.

One thing is for absolutely certain now. Pattaya will not be my final destination and if you're going to let anywhere be your lasting impression of Thailand, don't let Pattaya be it.

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Clean beaches, abundance of temples, colourful local characters, and most importantly no "wingers" they don't like it\can't afford to live here so spend all their time on forums waiting for another chance to deride Pattaya :)

i selected Pattaya because i like culture and cultured people surrounding me :)

Me too. I like the museums, art galleries, the poetry evenings and the wonderful public library facilities. I'm a memeber of the local Boy Scouts group and we often do regular baht-a-job activities assisting pensioners and the like. I like the genteel nature of the populace, especially all those lovely church girls along Beach Road in the afternoon and early evenings. All in all a very civilized location. Gotta dash off to another cake drive. Cheerio.

:D

:) here we go again - pattaya expats claiming the city is a cosmopolitan, clean-cut metropolis, perfect for families, with not even a hint of vice. :D

HERE WE GO AGAIN.

Somebody from Bangkok having a dig at Pattaya

Someone forgot to mention the clean air compared to other dross areas like Bangkok

Pattaya is good for 1 thing beach road 500baht,need I say more?

I have lived in Pattaya for 18 years - and I did not know that the 'going rate' on Beach Rd. was Bt. 500.-: makes me wonder; how come you, who's knocking Pattaya, do know this ? ?

How do you even know what he's talking about? I'd readily agree that 500 baht is a bit pricey for a fish spa but I guess that's what you get in a holiday resort town.

:) here we go again - pattaya expats claiming the city is a cosmopolitan, clean-cut metropolis, perfect for families, with not even a hint of vice. :D

It isn't? Can't comment on living there, but for a family holiday it's indeed pretty perfect.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

pattaya is a dive , im going to hau hin next time :)

Pattaya beats Hua Hin hands down every time.

Was in Hua Hin on Sunday, talk about overpriced, a house we could have bought for 2 million baht in 2003 was for sale at 7.5 million, <deleted>.

A small bottle of beer in the Holiday Inn in Cha Am, 140 baht ++.

pattaya is a dive , im going to hau hin next time :)

IMO, Hua Hin is the biggest cr*p hole I ever had the misfortune to stay in.

Narrow streets with maniac drivers trying to run me down, way too expensive accomodation, no decent public transport, encroached beaches, the list goes on.

It used to be nice years ago before they built that ghastly huge hotel right in the middle of town, the bas*ards, but those days are long gone.

However, if you think Pattaya is a dive, by all means go to Hua Hin.

Pattaya is good for 1 thing beach road 500baht,need I say more?

I have lived in Pattaya for 18 years - and I did not know that the 'going rate' on Beach Rd. was Bt. 500.-: makes me wonder; how come you, who's knocking Pattaya, do know this ? ?

How do you even know what he's talking about? I'd readily agree that 500 baht is a bit pricey for a fish spa but I guess that's what you get in a holiday resort town.

It isn't? Can't comment on living there, but for a family holiday it's indeed pretty perfect.

It's not perfect for families, and I wish they'd all bu**er off as they're ruining the place.

Me too. I like the museums, art galleries, the poetry evenings and the wonderful public library facilities. I'm a memeber of the local Boy Scouts group and we often do regular baht-a-job activities assisting pensioners and the like. I like the genteel nature of the populace, especially all those lovely church girls along Beach Road in the afternoon and early evenings. All in all a very civilized location. Gotta dash off to another cake drive. Cheerio.

being a member of the Salvation Army i find it most gratifying singing for the sinners sitting on barstools when they don't throw beer bottles at us :D

One thing is for absolutely certain now. Pattaya will not be my final destination and if you're going to let anywhere be your lasting impression of Thailand, don't let Pattaya be it.

I like Pattaya because it is NOT like the rest of Thailand.

I like Thailand. I live in Pattaya because it is convenient -- 1 hour to the airport; 1.5 hours to Bangkok, etc.

You forgot to mention all the pretty schoolgirls in nice uniforms gathering every day after school in Soi 6. It is good to see so many lovely and smart young girls devoted to their studies and helping each other.

This topic could be like opening a can of worms you know? It'll be interesting to read the responses you get!

I chose Pattaya ten years ago because it was like nowhere else I had ever been and it was so easy to settle into an uncomplicated expat life style.

Then I met my future wife and several years later I am very happy with everything apart from the change in Pattaya.

It used to be friendly, exciting, a bit edgy and above all great fun.

Overexposure to (often abysmally behaved) expats has left Pattaya with a bad taste in its' mouth and a real intolerance of foreigners.

When are you leaving?

What do I like about living in Pattaya...let me count the ways:

1. Accommodation (renting or buying) is quite cheap compared to most places "back home."

2. Food (either grocery shopping or restaurants is pretty cheap and good quality and restaurant dek-serves are friendly and happy with 5-10% tips (not 15-20% in "civilized" countries.

3. Resort/beach city ambiance and weather (I don't mind hot...as long as there's air-con when inside).

4. Proximity to Bangkok and its cultural offerings (concerts, lectures, shows, and again food) only 2 hours away; also an international airport for world-wide travel.

5. Thai people being generally friendly and easy-going hosts.

6. Very good shopping options for city its [small] size (2 Lotus, 3-4 Big C's, Carrefour, Central Beach[!], Tuk-Com, and lots of small shops to fill any need.

7. Made lots of new expatriate friends who are nice people and not stressed out freaks with a fat-wife and fat-mortgage driving them into the ground.

8. Can drive anyway I want to on the road and not have to worry about a copper hiding behind every light or stop-sign waiting to give me a $200.00 ticket for not signaling during a lane change

9. Relatively low tax burden and none of my tax money going to support welfare state loafers or over-breeding mothers or millions of illegal immigrants in the country.

10. Personal philosophy (atheism) is fairly compatible with the prevailing Buddhist mores of Thailand and there are very few Jesus, Moses, or Mohammad freaks to have to contend with!

If I think of any more, I'll let you know :)

I second every single point, and I add:

11. Living in a villa on the Dark Side it's quiet like in the countryside though you're just 10 minutes by scooter from one of the Asia's busiest resort city.

12. You can live a sober and restrained family life as well as a total depraved and debauched life: it's just up to you :D

You forgot to mention all the pretty schoolgirls in nice uniforms gathering every day after school in Soi 6. It is good to see so many lovely and smart young girls devoted to their studies and helping each other.

Yes, quite so. Many thanks for pointing that out. And also forgot to mention all those helpful chaps along Beach Road offering advice on where to get good tailored clothes. Keep up the good work!

1. Accommodation (renting or buying) is quite cheap compared to most places "back home."

2. Food (either grocery shopping or restaurants is pretty cheap and good quality and restaurant dek-serves are friendly and happy with 5-10% tips (not 15-20% in "civilized" countries.

3. Resort/beach city ambiance and weather (I don't mind hot...as long as there's air-con when inside).

4. Proximity to Bangkok and its cultural offerings (concerts, lectures, shows, and again food) only 2 hours away; also an international airport for world-wide travel.

6. Very good shopping options for city its [small] size (2 Lotus, 3-4 Big C's, Carrefour, Central Beach[!], Tuk-Com, and lots of small shops to fill any need.

7. Made lots of new expatriate friends who are nice people and not stressed out freaks with a fat-wife and fat-mortgage driving them into the ground.

8. Can drive anyway I want to on the road and not have to worry about a copper hiding behind every light or stop-sign waiting to give me a $200.00 ticket for not signaling during a lane change

9. Relatively low tax burden and none of my tax money going to support welfare state loafers or over-breeding mothers or millions of illegal immigrants in the country.

10. Personal philosophy (atheism) is fairly compatible with the prevailing Buddhist mores of Thailand and there are very few Jesus, Moses, or Mohammad freaks to have to contend with!

11. Living in a villa on the Dark Side it's quiet like in the countryside though you're just 10 minutes by scooter from one of the Asia's busiest resort city.

12. You can live a sober and restrained family life as well as a total depraved and debauched life: it's just up to you :D

**********************************************************]

Thanks you two for taking the time out to seriously answer my question. You have brought up some good points. In the future, I wouldn't mind retriing in Thailand but was thinking of Rayong or Hua Hin (Phuket is too expensive). The focus of Pattaya having all the modern conveniences and being international (so the locals understand English) are good points. You forgot to mention the golf courses!

There is everything or nothing in Pattaya.

Meaning you can get anything you want from food, all types from cheap Thai food to a great Steak, clothes from Golf shirts which are copies but I have some I have worn and are still fine for years and were 150 baht about 6 years ago and originals are 60quid back in UK to branded stuff in the Huge Pattaya Mall.

You can go bowling, lawn bowling, shooting, to the cinema, live shows, great Golf courses at far less prices than I was paying in UK, All the water sports not forgetting the great climate, some nice day trips to nong nuch, Tiger park, koh larn, koh samet, Rayong, all not far away, also not great but adequate beaches.

Or you can sit it your condo on the 39th floor with a book and while away the days relaxing.

Its all here, you have the choice.

I like Thailand. I live in Pattaya because it is convenient -- 1 hour to the airport; 1.5 hours to Bangkok, etc.

Great reason. Was in Bangkok yesterday. Easy drive in. Had lunch at a great Japanese restaurant on Soi 55. Did my biz and was home for an evening drink while watching that beautiful sunset last night! Even though it was a bit cool...nice change.

There is everything or nothing in Pattaya.

Meaning you can get anything you want from food, all types from cheap Thai food to a great Steak, clothes from Golf shirts which are copies but I have some I have worn and are still fine for years and were 150 baht about 6 years ago and originals are 60quid back in UK to branded stuff in the Huge Pattaya Mall.

You can go bowling, lawn bowling, shooting, to the cinema, live shows, great Golf courses at far less prices than I was paying in UK, All the water sports not forgetting the great climate, some nice day trips to nong nuch, Tiger park, koh larn, koh samet, Rayong, all not far away, also not great but adequate beaches.

Or you can sit it your condo on the 39th floor with a book and while away the days relaxing.

Or you can go on the internet and whine about the hookers. :)

I second the second as well...especially the part about leading a quiet life if one so desires.

I guess I would add too the recreational and sporting opportunities close at hand. If one wants to be physically active, there is everything from golf and tennis to scuba diving and skydiving to a local farang softball get-togethers. also second someone's point about there being lots of decent gyms/fitness centers.

Edited by FarangBuddha