Motorbikes

Simone

Wow, flashback !

I posted in this thread back in May 2005, asking about insurance and taxes.

In September '05 I bought a Honda Phantom. It's enough to get me around town, but not something I'd want to take on long trips. Doesn't have a great top speed, but it's got some jump in the lower end, good for manouvering through Pattaya traffic.

It was a 2006 model, and the bike, insurance, taxes, registration and helmet came to a total of 87,000 baht at the time.

When I'm away, I have a nylon cover over it (though it's still filthy when I get back, ah well, 70 baht gets it washed and waxed !). I had a problem getting it going the first time I returned from the 'stan, when the bike had been sitting for a little over 2 months.

Since then though, no problems. I come home, remove the cover, connect the battery, turn on the fuel, unlock the locks, put on the choke and away she goes.

Some places don't want you to park in amongst the smaller bikes, other places will park you in a place that's quite convenient to get out of again. I put a set of those little saddle-bags on it, but they don't hold a lot (especially when doing a grocery run).

It's nice, convenient, and cheap. I might buy something bigger sometime down the road, but for now, it meets (and suits) my needs.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, flashback !

I posted in this thread back in May 2005, asking about insurance and taxes.

In September '05 I bought a Honda Phantom. It's enough to get me around town, but not something I'd want to take on long trips. Doesn't have a great top speed, but it's got some jump in the lower end, good for manouvering through Pattaya traffic.

It was a 2006 model, and the bike, insurance, taxes, registration and helmet came to a total of 87,000 baht at the time.

When I'm away, I have a nylon cover over it (though it's still filthy when I get back, ah well, 70 baht gets it washed and waxed !). I had a problem getting it going the first time I returned from the 'stan, when the bike had been sitting for a little over 2 months.

Since then though, no problems. I come home, remove the cover, connect the battery, turn on the fuel, unlock the locks, put on the choke and away she goes.

Some places don't want you to park in amongst the smaller bikes, other places will park you in a place that's quite convenient to get out of again. I put a set of those little saddle-bags on it, but they don't hold a lot (especially when doing a grocery run).

It's nice, convenient, and cheap. I might buy something bigger sometime down the road, but for now, it meets (and suits) my needs.

Nothing wrong with the Phantom...with TLC will last as long as you will! I had a 150cc Phantom whichI sold & have regretted it ever since

Slightly OT, but have any of you guys taken your 125 on a train, 2nd or 3rd class? :o

As I was checking some boxes through to Chiang Mai, at the BK train station, a girl in front of me put a motorbike in the baggage car. The price was less than 500 bt as I recall. However, she was Thai. If you are not it might cost you more. But it can be done.

my b/f have handa 600 , and i like that too ,so i asking him can i have one , so for me mayby i will just can get 125,(red(becuase i'm so small ) :D ,so if you think you want to buy go for Honda 125, and mayby i can joint with you in thailand

Thai girl :o

Take my advice honestly go for the Honda Wave......... First night i was in Northern Thailand I rode a Honda Wave around a dirt track road at 25-30 mph in the pitch black running from some thai youths........ only problem was the dirt track disappeared and the pappy field started........ Then came that horrible sensation of everything going quiet as I left the earth and the enevitable fear that any second later it was going to hurt.... and I cant tell you wow it bl**dy did. But as for the plucky little Honda Wave, I picked it up and it still got me home. Best dame bike I ever rode...lol :D

P.S spent 2 days in the hospital but the Honda only cost 4500bht to fix.

Now I take Tuk Tuk's. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry got to disagree you definetely need a disk on the front, if you are locking the front wheel up (wet OR dry)you need to check your riding style not blame the force of the brake.

Try finding a quiet bit of road and practice how hard and fast you can stop.Make sure there isnt a 40tonne truck up your arse first though LOL :D

On any modern bike from 125-1000cc,you should be able to have the back wheel of the ground using just the front brake(dont try it in the wet though). :D

Before you see how fast a bike will go,find out how fast it will stop first.

If your riding on gravel a lot then yes use the back brake.Just always remember,be relaxed,be smooth with the controls and assume everyones trying to kill you.

Oh nearly forgot,enjoy yourself :D

Actually i agree with you, my point was that on these bikes there is no way you can be able to get the back wheel in the air, i am used to riding 1000cc bikes so the importance of good brakes on 160 mph bikes is something i truely do understand. These little machines will just lock up the front wheel as the brakes are far to good for the bike. Good tyres would help that. Riding style has a lot to do with everything, but i didnt say i had come off because of this, i was raising a point that might be of value to someone buying a new machine. Disk brakes are far better, and for general riding hard and fast i would not be without them. Over here i ride a NSR 150 honda they are a quick good handling little bike, bit mosquito like after my CBR 1000 back home or the Triumph,s i had before, but great little bike. But a brake that wont lock the front wheel in an emergency is something to consider on a light, low powered machine. Riding style should always be to the power of the brakes, never the engine and really i was talking about emergency stopping when the finely tuned partnership of bike and rider go out the window and arse clenching, pant staining panick assumes control and most people who do not have 30 yrs of daily bike riding beneath there belt grab a handful of over powerful brake and go sliding down road. The only way to stop, or limit this will be to fit really good rubber front and back. If i had my way every bike would have twin Brembo's on front like the old Ducati i used to have now that really stopped! Saved my bacon on several occasions. But a good bit of rubber on front cost me 180 of my ole english pounds but did what was asked of it everytime.

Ohh and in Thailand what makes you think they are not trying to kill you lol :D

rossiok just read your post on road surface in Thailand, that of course may have a huge factor in the slidy front end on a bike! :o interesting point.

Do you know any auto transmission bikes that will not lock up the front brakes in an emergency stop? I have a Yamaha MIO and have locked the front brake, which flipped the bike when I have had to stop to avoid a collision.

Nothing more frustrating then operating one of those pathetic step-through bikes.

They were designed so ladies with skirts could ride a motorcycle. The most serious disadvantage is their wobbly unbalanced ride. This is aggravated by their low clearance and useless suspension which has you slowing to 5 Km for every bump in the road. Automatic means dead slow acceleration, so if you’re in a jam all you can do is hit the brakes and wet your pants.

If you want to ride safe, get something with a little engineering, something with balance. The Phantom and the CBR 150 will do the trick, and you won’t look like a dweeb when you ride either. Pay a few baht more and enjoy the investment.

My Yamaha MIO is far from slow. It will beat most similar sized shifter bikes from the light in most occasions.

Nothing more frustrating then operating one of those pathetic step-through bikes.

They were designed so ladies with skirts could ride a motorcycle. The most serious disadvantage is their wobbly unbalanced ride. This is aggravated by their low clearance and useless suspension which has you slowing to 5 Km for every bump in the road. Automatic means dead slow acceleration, so if you’re in a jam all you can do is hit the brakes and wet your pants.

If you want to ride safe, get something with a little engineering, something with balance. The Phantom and the CBR 150 will do the trick, and you won’t look like a dweeb when you ride either. Pay a few baht more and enjoy the investment.

My Yamaha MIO is far from slow. It will beat most similar sized shifter bikes from the light in most occasions.

Borrow a CBR 150 and see for youself.

Sorry got to disagree you definetely need a disk on the front, if you are locking the front wheel up (wet OR dry)you need to check your riding style not blame the force of the brake.

Try finding a quiet bit of road and practice how hard and fast you can stop.Make sure there isnt a 40tonne truck up your arse first though LOL :D

On any modern bike from 125-1000cc,you should be able to have the back wheel of the ground using just the front brake(dont try it in the wet though). :D

Before you see how fast a bike will go,find out how fast it will stop first.

If your riding on gravel a lot then yes use the back brake.Just always remember,be relaxed,be smooth with the controls and assume everyones trying to kill you.

Oh nearly forgot,enjoy yourself :D

Actually i agree with you, my point was that on these bikes there is no way you can be able to get the back wheel in the air, i am used to riding 1000cc bikes so the importance of good brakes on 160 mph bikes is something i truely do understand. These little machines will just lock up the front wheel as the brakes are far to good for the bike. Good tyres would help that. Riding style has a lot to do with everything, but i didnt say i had come off because of this, i was raising a point that might be of value to someone buying a new machine. Disk brakes are far better, and for general riding hard and fast i would not be without them. Over here i ride a NSR 150 honda they are a quick good handling little bike, bit mosquito like after my CBR 1000 back home or the Triumph,s i had before, but great little bike. But a brake that wont lock the front wheel in an emergency is something to consider on a light, low powered machine. Riding style should always be to the power of the brakes, never the engine and really i was talking about emergency stopping when the finely tuned partnership of bike and rider go out the window and arse clenching, pant staining panick assumes control and most people who do not have 30 yrs of daily bike riding beneath there belt grab a handful of over powerful brake and go sliding down road. The only way to stop, or limit this will be to fit really good rubber front and back. If i had my way every bike would have twin Brembo's on front like the old Ducati i used to have now that really stopped! Saved my bacon on several occasions. But a good bit of rubber on front cost me 180 of my ole english pounds but did what was asked of it everytime.

Ohh and in Thailand what makes you think they are not trying to kill you lol :D

rossiok just read your post on road surface in Thailand, that of course may have a huge factor in the slidy front end on a bike! :o interesting point.

Do you know any auto transmission bikes that will not lock up the front brakes in an emergency stop? I have a Yamaha MIO and have locked the front brake, which flipped the bike when I have had to stop to avoid a collision.

If you are locking up your front wheel,your technique is at fault,not your bike. Two fingers is all it needs on the brake lever on a modern bike ,if you start to lock up just ease off.

Defensive driving schools teach 60% rear /40% front for max efficiency, two tyres in contact with the road stop better than one,as stated in an earlier post,practice panic stops before you encounter a panic stop situation.

A quiet bit of road and starting at 30kph use a marker like a pole and as soon as you get level stop as fast and as smoothly as you can without full lock-up, keep at it ,you will find your reaction time and stopping distance will reduce dramatically,then up the speed to 60kph and go through the same exercises time and again until your satisfied you can stop in the shortest possible distance without drama. then and only then are you ready for the joust that is motorcycling.

Sturdy boots, a riding jacket with a bit of padding and a good quality helmet are the bare minimum you should be attired in .

• 2 years later...

I found this old thread from googling re my potential Honda purchase and thought I'd resurrect it for any up to date recommendations. I'll be buying new and automatic would be my bike of choice. The bike would be used daily for short journeys around town, so mileage would be relatively low with an even mix of both one and two people riding, in addition to some occasional shopping on board.

I'm looking at Honda Dream 125, Honda Wave 125i and Honda Click-i Forward. Can anyone recommend any of these or any others given the above.

Thanks

TCA

I bought a Honda wave 100cc clutch and 4 gears from new 6 years ago. Done 56000 Kilometres so far and still runs as good as when I first bought it.

Great little workhorse, carry all my shopping, no problem.

Have it serviced every 3 months, cost 300 baht.

• 3 months later...

I also have a honda wave Z with a manual clutch...bout it new 2 years ago and its a fantastic little thing, It uses much less fuels than any automatic or semi automatic bikes and apart from oil changes have spent no money on it sofar although soon a new chain and sprockets will be in order...16000 km.

I use the HTC touch cruise both in the car and on the motorbike with garmin software, when on the bike it stays in my pocket then i use the voice comand via a blue tooth ear piece , Simple and no need to worry about it being weather proof.

Edited by tingtongfarang