A Visit At Tiger Factory

obmx

Dear all,

Thank you for coming to the Tiger Factory Tour .One was missing though :) I must say it was great to meet you all and sorry I was short of "good bye'ing" many of you but things turned a bit rushy for me.

To the Tour itself , I though this was a real nice group of people and the Tour of Khun Pariya was held in a relaxed atmosphere where people could ask him questions as desired.

The reason for the Tour was not only to diminish rumors over Tiger being Chinese parts just assembled here, but also to give a honest and clear picture of what they do here. Tiger has a big variety of products, sometimes they are different labeled ,sometimes made for other Brands assembled and some parts added by them in the Factory.

Tiger as often mentioned , is a low tech approach in Bikes – somewhat in the factory it is quite obvious that lot of things are still made manually. This may have some downsides …but the positive side on this is to have them more flexible on making things new different or special request.

I think there was a lot of the production covered byut with the time available it was in fact impossible to see it all…additionally on Saturdays some of the production is paused ,weekend.

After our Tour we all had the chance to Test the Tiger Boxer 250 RS, Sachs X-road 250 , Sachs Kikass 135 , Tiger Gmax , Tiger Retro . The feedback on the bike testers vary but I thought the Kikass got very good notes from most as well as the Gmax and the Boxer. The X-road 250 I think was evaluated a bit low on power and seemingly the shock didn't absorb as much as some wished. What people found positive was the very good brakes, comfortable seat, . personally I like to add that I like looks of the bike very much. I need to add that I did not ride any of the bikes today as an headache kept my mood of "rather not".

After the testrides we had a delicious Lunch at Tiger Motors followed by a short stop at the "Bikecare" Shop which supplies parts and accessories to Tiger/Sachs Bikes. We got a Van waiting for bringing us to Bitec but this is where my day with the guys ended due to a rushy appointment at other side of town ( was 2 hrs late – but I blamed it on the red shirts  - me bad )

Thank you Tiger Motors & Khun Pariya for your Time and great to have met you all …hope we meet another time on the Motorbikes,

Here some pictures:

DSCF4671%20(Large).JPG

The beginning of tour at the assembly lines

DSCF4675%20(Large).JPG

DSCF4676%20(Large).JPG

we have seen alot of retro's there- i guess they selling well

DSCF4678%20(Large).JPG

Khun pariya explaining things about the production to the Group..behind him on the assembly line is a red Tiger Bulldog 150cc

DSCF4679%20(Large).JPG

Looking at the assembly line

DSCF4684%20(Large).JPG

Yellow Tiger Retro 110C with sidecar....one of the most unique looking bikes w/sidecar, sure raises attention

DSCF4685%20(Large).JPG

I was wondering when the Pink Retro would come :-)

DSCF4687%20(Large).JPG

entrance to engine assembly

DSCF4688%20(Large).JPG

Engine assembly

DSCF4690%20(Large).JPG

Engine assembly

DSCF4692%20(Large).JPG

assembled engine ( note: see the brand name on it)

DSCF4696%20(Large).JPG

forgot the name of this machines...but those pieces are made there

DSCF4697%20(Large).JPG

Bmw Sidecar(top) vs Retro Sidecar(bottom)

DSCF4699%20(Large).JPG

Bmw Sidecar(top) vs Retro Sidecar(bottom)- same same but different :D

DSCF4701%20(Large).JPG

painting the plastics - apparently they will make this a lot bigger in order to paint parts also for some well known Car manufacturer.

DSCF4707%20(Large).JPG

The Paintshop

DSCF4710%20(Large).JPG

"Birth" of a sidecar

DSCF4712%20(Large).JPG

where the Frames are being made

DSCF4713%20(Large).JPG

still in the "frameshop" ..this are btw. frames for the retro

DSCF4728%20(Large).JPG

The E-Boxer ...sold in the US..maybe we see it in Thailand someday?

continued

DSCF4729%20(Large).JPG

Time for testrides...but first a look around on the x-road 250

DSCF4732%20(Large).JPG

The Carb is Japanese and it looks pretty decently altogether.

DSCF4737%20(Large).JPG

Time to ride it and let the expert try it !

DSCF4735%20(Large).JPG

The Retro on testride

DSCF4740%20(Large).JPG

Robert's turn to try out the X-road 250....i wonder if he would take this bike the sangklaburi- umphang trip?

DSCF4734%20(Large).JPG

Chang Noi, an offroader is doing his test on the x-road.

DSCF4741%20(Large).JPG

The Kikass...it was liked and here's a closer look

DSCF4742%20(Large).JPG

Alan on the retro...i think the color doesn't fit to him posing like that...it should be pink :)

DSCF4743%20(Large).JPG

John & jane - a family pic...he seemed to like the Gmax quite a lot,so did some of the others, nice underseat storage - takes at least a case of beers :D

DSCF4745%20(Large).JPG

Alan kickin' the Kikass.

DSCF4746%20(Large).JPG

One last spin on the x-road before we have lunch

Happy trails,

Obmx

Hi, great post, most interesting... so is there pricing and availability on the X-Road 250 and how does the engine differ in power to the Tiger 250 Boxer?

Availability:Tiger (sachs) Motors said it shall be available this year and for appr. 100000+ thb .

Power/Engine: I have not ridden the X-road yesterday so i can not tell you much about the engine power- maybe some of the testers will post later...both are single cyl & carburated and the x-road 250 supposed to have 21 Hp's while the stock boxer 250 (actual 232cc)has 18 Hp's .

obmx

I did the testride and I didn´t found a reason to pay 30K more for a X-Road than for the Boxer. Brakes are marvellous, but this common in a SM.

The factors visit was very impressing. I didn´t supose such a big factory. My favourit bikes are KiAss and Boxer and off course the charming Retro. Everybody loves it.

continued

DSCF4729%20(Large).JPG

Time for testrides...but first a look around on the x-road 250

DSCF4732%20(Large).JPG

The Carb is Japanese and it looks pretty decently altogether.

DSCF4737%20(Large).JPG

Time to ride it and let the expert try it !

DSCF4735%20(Large).JPG

The Retro on testride

DSCF4740%20(Large).JPG

Robert's turn to try out the X-road 250....i wonder if he would take this bike the sangklaburi- umphang trip?

DSCF4734%20(Large).JPG

Chang Noi, an offroader is doing his test on the x-road.

DSCF4741%20(Large).JPG

The Kikass...it was liked and here's a closer look

DSCF4742%20(Large).JPG

Alan on the retro...i think the color doesn't fit to him posing like that...it should be pink :)

DSCF4743%20(Large).JPG

John & jane - a family pic...he seemed to like the Gmax quite a lot,so did some of the others, nice underseat storage - takes at least a case of beers :D

DSCF4745%20(Large).JPG

Alan kickin' the Kikass.

DSCF4746%20(Large).JPG

One last spin on the x-road before we have lunch

Happy trails,

Obmx

How was the x road to ride?

I did the testride and I didn´t found a reason to pay 30K more for a X-Road than for the Boxer.

Hmm you got a point but don't you think that the x-road has better offroad abilities than the boxer?They are some different bikes really and i think comparing the x-road to the d-tracker should be done....i know you had a d-tracker for a while and now you ridden the x-road maybe you can make a comparism to both of them?

Thanks a lot,

Obmx

I did the testride and I didn´t found a reason to pay 30K more for a X-Road than for the Boxer.

Hmm you got a point but don't you think that the x-road has better offroad abilities than the boxer?They are some different bikes really and i think comparing the x-road to the d-tracker should be done....i know you had a d-tracker for a while and now you ridden the x-road maybe you can make a comparism to both of them?

Thanks a lot,

Obmx

I dont think the x-road looks like its intended as an off road bike but rather an sm designed for the road, Would also be nice to know the reasons why it is 30k more expencive than the boxer ...if it had been around the same price i might have been interested.

Thanks a lot,

Obmx

I dont think the x-road looks like its intended as an off road bike but rather an sm designed for the road, Would also be nice to know the reasons why it is 30k more expencive than the boxer ...if it had been around the same price i might have been interested.

I think you can take the x-road to some light offroads, the boxer you can not...i tried it on the boxer and offroad is a "rather not".

What is different ? Firstly the engine has a larger displacement, the boxer has 232 cc and the xroad 250 has 250 cc ( or 249,5 cc or alike) the boxer has 18 hp the sachs has 21 hp. The frame i find really nice and strong on the sachs . On my own boxer i mounted the rearview mirrors and digital speedo from the x-road because they are better. those are only a few obvious things listed and while 100000 thb is not a lot for a new bike it should actually be compared with the d-tracker as it is 52500 thb cheaper than that bike.

happy trails,

Obmx

I am wondering how the registration and clearance of the sidecar is done.. Here on Phuket police seem to say ANY sidecar no matter how well made is illegal.. Not only rebar type samlors but any 3 wheel bike setup. Someone with a goldwing and sidecar was lamenting the issue.

Is it how they are first registered or ??

I am wondering how the registration and clearance of the sidecar is done.. Here on Phuket police seem to say ANY sidecar no matter how well made is illegal.. Not only rebar type samlors but any 3 wheel bike setup. Someone with a goldwing and sidecar was lamenting the issue.

I belive manufactorer has bothered to have them approved centrally, thus the third brake and lights on Tigers sidecar. excited to see how an approved sidecar book looks like. does it say 3 up? 3 wheels? increased total vehicle weight?

Hi Livinlos,

According to Khun pariya from Tiger Motors, it is 100% legal ( meaning the tiger retro with sidecar) this is achieved by having it built with sidecar and first registered as such . I think those samlors or motorbike sidecar"shops" have never been registered as such nor are they "officially" made to transport an extra person (but there are often more than a few persons on it ). Assuming the goldwing with sidecar was brought in and registered as regular bike only..maybe the sidecar was added later ? I don't know if it is possible to have a new imported motorbike with sidecar legally registered but i think so ...i shall stand corrected as i am not in the know over bikeimports.

happy trails,

Obmx

I know and agree that samlors are illegal, but the goldwing was a legit factory type setup and the owner had poured money into it so you would think he would have paid a price to legalise.. He was told he could not, end of, but of course Thailand is a land where theres no easy answers to unusual questions.

If anyone speaks with Tiger its a question that would be interesting to ask, not only if it was legit (I am sure they will say yes) but what they had to do.

If anyone speaks with Tiger its a question that would be interesting to ask, not only if it was legit (I am sure they will say yes) but what they had to do.

Ok will do ...will let you know what they had to say.

Obmx

Does anyone know if tiger has plans to build any larger cc bikes?

something like the x-road with a 500 vtwin would be interesting at the right price :)

We all hoped ,but there are "officially" no plans ....if they plan something "behind closed doors" that would be a nice surprise so lets hope again :-)

Obmx

Hi all. I had a great time at Tiger. I liked the Kickass, The 250rs. And the X-road for looks but about the X-road i think they need to to do a little more work. it looks great, the brakes are great BUT the engine is a bit anemic (underpowered) this may be down to gearing or just plain and simple no power, not sure.

The Retro i love but the front brake is retro as well. So i will not get one for the girlfriend as planned (maybe i will ask if i can spec a different front end. is possible i think)

Khun Pariya was very good giving us the information about each different part of the operation (a large operation, i might add).

IF Tiger could source some decent engines then i think they COULD be a source to be reckoned with.

ala CCM motorcycles. Think Suzuki DR400 engines or similar.

If they have the will. But that's the problem I'm not sure that they have.

Allan

"According to Khun pariya from Tiger Motors, it is 100% legal ( meaning the tiger retro with sidecar) this is achieved by having it built with sidecar and first registered as such." - obmx

I received the same information in response (e-mail) to my question. While I did not inquire further into the mechanics of the process, I did ask about detaching the two. Khun Pariya reported that they could be separated if you had the tools. I did not ask further at that point, depending on my own common sense instead.

I hope in May to visit the company again and discover, among other things, which tools are needed. Meanwhile, I would be very happy to hear about a front disk brake on the Retro 110 as an option.

I would be very happy to hear about a front disk brake on the Retro 110 as an option.

I would think that is possible as they had a cx135 at the motor show with the retro front end rather than a disc brake. So if it can have the retro front end then it should be possible to have the disc front end on the retro.

I was thinking go with a drum brake for effect, just not that leading link fork (which was really weird)

Allan

Did it come up about how they can legally get away with producing a motorbike (Retro) that is physically the same as the old Honda? Is it because the Honda version is so old that the patent is now finished or something like that?

I also don't like having no disc brake but I must admit that the old style front end is a very big part of what makes it the "Retro". A disc brake would like very out of place unless they could managen to disguise it somehow.

I also can't imagine them getting Japanese motors for their bikes as someone mentioned. These are cheap bikes. If they were buying motors from someone like Suzuki, their prices would have to go up something huge. I also don't imagine that the quality issues would end at the motor. Although I must admit, my friend really loved his Boxer 250 after he got a lot of parts beefed up. He sold it to buy an ER6N and is actually considering going back to a Boxer 250.

Did it come up about how they can legally get away with producing a motorbike (Retro) that is physically the same as the old Honda? Is it because the Honda version is so old that the patent is now finished or something like that?

I also don't like having no disc brake but I must admit that the old style front end is a very big part of what makes it the "Retro". A disc brake would like very out of place unless they could managen to disguise it somehow.

I also can't imagine them getting Japanese motors for their bikes as someone mentioned. These are cheap bikes. If they were buying motors from someone like Suzuki, their prices would have to go up something huge. I also don't imagine that the quality issues would end at the motor. Although I must admit, my friend really loved his Boxer 250 after he got a lot of parts beefed up. He sold it to buy an ER6N and is actually considering going back to a Boxer 250.

About the Retro thats why i suggested a drum brake. its the leading link fork that creates the bad brakes not so much the lack of disc. Also about the Jap engines i was suggesting that Tiger could recreate themselves the same as CCM motorcycles did. just look at some of their bikes. Bloody marvelous. iF THE BIKES ARE GOOD THEN IT DONT MATTER WHO MAKES THEM. tIGER JUST HAVE TO WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T JUST SOURCE THE CHEAPEST STUFF ALL THE TIME.

No word spoken about this really...noone asked ... nor do i care much about that.

I couldn't agree more...that style of brakes are retro and a disc brake takes away the retro look...in fact i have done total about 600km on retro's and the brake is not that bad really- just need to get used to the "uplifting"( but granted there is room to improve)...maybe a bit weak specially when you have a sidecar added but the force of the braking itself is a little delayed with the "lifting action" ie "retro antidive :-) "

As much as i like the Boxer250 but i also like the Er6n ..and since the ER6n has more juice i think i'd enjoy the ER6N more...that may all change in town or over short distance and in roads with tight and narrow turns...but you're right Tiger has a view on bringing some decent quality for affordable price. So the buying of motors outside is mostlikely "out of the question" to them...personally i think it would be great if they're developing something in the 500 cc size..wishful thinking i guess.

@ Thaicbr:

tIGER JUST HAVE TO WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T JUST SOURCE THE CHEAPEST STUFF ALL THE TIME.

To be honest most of their bikes are decent and solid built...but stuff like speedo or rear view mirrors which both are mostlikely outsourced are a bit weak...so hopefully they find better stuff for a decent price...they want to sell their bikes for a affordable price so they can't mount a Koso digital Konsole and thats really understandable...but if they just have a decent analogue Speedos and a better mirrors that won't break their budget. Lucky enough that most of the bikes are actually made in Samut Prakarn and relatively little is outsourced

happy trails,

Obmx

I hope in May to visit the company again and discover, among other things, which tools are needed.

A spanner to undo the mounting bolts (front, bottom and behind the seat) and the brake cable, and a knife to cut the wires to the front and rear lights!

The sidecar is available separately (20,000 baht), but without any form of guarantee or paperwork and obviously without the correct mounts for another bike. Fitting it to most other "classic" style bikes should be straightforward once you have had the hardware fabricated - I plan on doing so later in the year when I have the time.

I hope in May to visit the company again and discover, among other things, which tools are needed.

A spanner to undo the mounting bolts (front, bottom and behind the seat) and the brake cable, and a knife to cut the wires to the front and rear lights!

The sidecar is available separately (20,000 baht), but without any form of guarantee or paperwork and obviously without the correct mounts for another bike. Fitting it to most other "classic" style bikes should be straightforward once you have had the hardware fabricated - I plan on doing so later in the year when I have the time.

I will not recommend to " disconnect" the side car if you want that set-up. I just bought the side car model, and yes relatively easy to disconnect the side car when looking at the brackets/wires for light, but when attaching later it will have to be aligned properly or the rig will drag.

Yes the brakes are too weak, wish something could be done about it :)

TIGER has 300 staff. The happy workplace environment is striking. Many died in the wool bikers work here, not surprisingly.

IMHO the Tiger Boxer 250 RS has more power than the X-Road.

Here are some of my photos.

Ride on,

Chris

post-7704-1269945669_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946117_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946236_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946323_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946373_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946452_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946524_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1269946595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kf6vci

Just a thought about the brakes. Check if Honda still sells brakes for the original. They are likely interchangable and the Honda quality should be better. I understand that drum brakes simply aren't that good especially with this funny front end but the Honda pads are surely better if they still sell them.