Large File Transfer

paulfr

I have a friend with a large [150MB] file he wants to send to me.

Email ISPs are usually limited to 10MB attachemnts.

How can he get this to me electronically .... not using physical mail.

FTP ? How does that work ?

Upload sites ? Which ones ? Fees involved ?

What other alternatives ?

Thanks

Try Mediafire or one of the other free file hosting services. You upload the file to there, send your mate the link and he downloads it. The free service at Mediafire works for files upto 200mb, pay cash and you can go up to 2GB.

Google "free file hosting" to get lots of other options.

I have used Rapidshare and it's quite good. There are many others, just Google. Almost all work the same, you get free up to some size eg. 200MB and can get much larger by paying. The download eg. by friend, gets an email that a file is waiting for him, goes there is offered a direct download for free at a fee, or else just wait a minute and can do free download. Very good for the occasional large file, maybe worthwhile to join up if you do this a lot.

Your friend can also use a free service called Dropbox. Dropbox's original purpose is different, but can be used for what you have in mind now. Your friend would have to open an account with Dropbox and upload his file, then he'd provide you with a public URL for you to download.

Andy

Your friend can also use a free service called Dropbox. Dropbox's original purpose is different, but can be used for what you have in mind now. Your friend would have to open an account with Dropbox and upload his file, then he'd provide you with a public URL for you to download.

Andy

+1

With the iffy state of connectivity in this part of the world, here's how I would do it. Your friend will need:

firefox, with add-in "gmail space" (aka gspace)

a gmail account

WinRAR

You will need only WinRAR.

1) download WinRAR (it's like zip, you can use some form of that as well)

2) use WinRAR to compress the file and divide it into chunks of slightly less than 10Mb, not hard to figure out

3) gspace is an add-on that lets you upload files to your gmail account; the advantage of this is that you have greater control over the state of the file transfer than you would if attaching to an email message. If a transfer fails it is easier to figure out that it did, so you try it again. the max size is 10Mb.

4) the gspace transfers will show up in your friend's gmail account as new messages, and your friend forwards these messages to you.

5) you receive messages with attachments (doesn't matter what email software you use), and when all the pieces are collected in one directory you run WinRAR and, with luck, it will put the .rar files back together and extract the contents

Yeah, a little complicated if you don't already have all these things in place, but at least it gives you more control over the overall operation. Eg, if one of the .rar files gets corrupted WinRAR will tell you which file is <deleted>, and you can get your friend to re-send it. If the file transfers get disconnected, then again a re-send of just that individual chunk can be done.

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to up/download a large file and hours into the transfer it craps out and have to start back from the beginning. That said, sometimes gspace (and with large gmail attachments in general) tends to go south in the last 1% of the transfer. Then again, any email transfer will do, just note the max. attachment size.

I also have the impression (devoid of actual evidence) that some internet providers may cut off transfers they think are taking too long.

If your friend decides to give this a try, first do a check of it all using a much smaller file.