Summit Windmill Review

bkk2323

I posted this review on a Thailand golf web site, I would like to know if any one else has had the same experiences

Tonight Summit Windmill exceeded all our expectations as the worst run golf course in BKK, they have raised the bar on poor management, appalling starter and stop play, stop play is another level worse than slow play!!!

We started on time which is rare at this golf course, there's usually a back log of at least 20 to 30 players at 5.00 pm.

We had a trouble free front nine, we only waited for a few minutes at a couple of holes, which is more than acceptable. We finished the front 9 and walked to the 10th tee to be confronted by 4 other groups in front of us. We were told we had to wait for the other groups that were teeing of from the 10th tee, as their 1st hole!! We were the 5th group to tee off on the 10th, work it out, 5 groups x 10 minutes we were going to wait 50 minutes to continue our game.

We protested to no avail, all we were told was 'wait a minute" nothing happened in all the time we waited. We were extremely disappointed with their ability to see the logic that we should have right of way to play through first, and sure enough we let the starter know exactly how we felt. After a very vocal dispute we were offered a credit voucher for another game (Which I have never seen offered previously) why would I want to come back to this dump again, are they serious? They need to fix their booking problems first, then we will look at playing their course again. Two of our group are from overseas and cannot take up the voucher as they leave on Friday, the voucher expires in 30 days, they would not leave the date open for 6 months so they could play when they return later in the year.

Summit Windmill you have always been the worst run club in BKK and now you are head and shoulders above 2nd place. Your starter has no ability and no management skills and to tee off somewhere near our booked time previously we've had to kiss the starters ass, I'm over it!!!

I always believe that the fish stinks at the head and the management at this course stink like rotten fish!!!

250 baht for the taxi, 1450 baht for the game, 200 baht for the caddie (usually we pay 300 for 18 holes), 250 baht for the taxi home, total 2150 baht is a lot for 9 holes with sandy greens and a lot of grief.

The started gathered enough courage to ask me for my name and number so the GM can call me tomorrow, I'm not expecting him to call.

Summit Windmill you are a tired old tart!!!

Well...after you comments...I just had to read the reviews, including yours, on thaigolfer dot com. Spread the word guys..that place sounds as bad as any course in Thailand....someone should start a pole on which they think is the worst course.

Now and again I'm sure that we all have a bad experience....look at the problems at Blue Sapphire with those Korean players....just a 'little' short of golf manners and the management/starter absolutely fu_king useless.

Where we are members, if there appears to be a big or slow group in front my wife asks if we can start at hole 3 or 5 or even hole 10. I used to get embarrished at this but now it's the norm. Now our caddys even suggest that we start part way through the course as they know which are the really slow groups and don't want to be behind them either.

The rule at our course is...if there is a group putting out on hole 9 then you are not allowed to jump in and start at hole 10. Usually this works..if not I have been know to make the odd comment...but you have to be careful as you don't know who their father is and they might have a gun, so my wife says.

I have to admit that my wife does sort out our problems and yes it is much more difficult for the average 'alien' to get anywhere with a difficult starter.

It always pays to read reviews before you decide to play somewhere new.

• 2 weeks later...

Having played Summit myself on and off for a couple of years, I can only confirm that this place has a serious management problem, at least if the club is expected to operate as a golf club anywhere else in the world. But this is Thailand, and things are different.

A majority of the complaints appears to be linked to the clubs legendary method of teeing of flights on both the 1st and 10th tee respectively, most likely due to financial problems in relation to the 1997 financial crisis (a couple of concrete skeletons around the course are the remainders of these events). This gets really annoying during night golf on Sundays and sport days, when large number of golfers show up to take advantage of the promotion; the club never denies anyone to play, and tee them of to create the illusion that they have tee times. Many Thais and expats are aware of this, and simply suck it up, but if you don’t know that you will have to wait another hour before teeing off on your back nine, this can ruin your round completely, especially if they pushed your tee off time one hour forward….

I don’t think I have ever played night golf here without witnessing this type of conversation with upset golfers, so this is a well known issue, The problem is that management chooses to continue to support this method, most likely for financial reasons.

The whole thing is a shame, because the course layout is (IMO) very good, but since they have plenty of locals and expats who continue to play despite the 6-hour rounds, they are unlikely to change. Simply get a bowl of noodles and chill out.

The key to playing this course is to tee off on your back nine before 4pm when the promotion starts. Personally, I can’t stand the place in the afternoon/evening and play other courses despite a longer drive.

I haven`t played Summit but Blue Sapphire was mentioned...we played there without a reservation ,a 4ball,we got around in 4 1/2 hrs.We were happy the management apologized for slow play....we were more than happy loved the course. We however did make reservations for Evergreen the next day,we were assured they were not busy....I hate to go when they were busy.We had a 9:00AM tee time we went for breakfast at 7:00AM and were told to rush to the 19th tee ...breakfast buffet was nonexistant so we rushed to the 10th.....3 1/2 hrs later we got to the first tee.....there were 3 groups from tee to green and 4 more waiting to tee off...that left us 8th in line.Needless to say we left but not before trying to confront management...we were told "no manager here"...now that was understating a fact. We just have to accept the reality most a good percentage of Thai courses are poorly run...too bad they have some great tracks

I haven`t played Summit but Blue Sapphire was mentioned...we played there without a reservation ,a 4ball,we got around in 4 1/2 hrs.We were happy the management apologized for slow play....we were more than happy loved the course. are poorly run...too bad they have some great tracks

Blue Sapphire is a lovely course, we used to be members, but after it was taken over or part taken over by Koreans things changed.

Yes you can be lucky and there are good offers to play or stay and play nearly all the time, we still get SMS’s weekly. For us and people we know never again! Unless it’s a closed comp. You can get to the 10th T and find a huge row of buggies all waiting and there is now way through. Actually, same on the first T sometimes, even when you book a T-off time.

It definitely is Thais and foreigners, unless from Korea, are 2nd class citizens.

We frequently used to drive up from BK to play. Four and a half hours for a walking 4-ball, stopping for the odd drink, is fine as there are long walks between some holes and it’s hilly.

I see that recent comments on thaigolfer praise it. We have two lots of friend who played there in the last 2-3 months, even though we said don’t, and neither group finished their rounds..gave up due to queues. Guess it’s pot luck.

As it is such a nice course and you feel you must play, maybe worth enquiring the day before if there is a tour group staying.