1 Yr. Retirement Visa With 6 Mo. Remaining On Passport ?

What options is Immigration lilely to give me if I walk in and request a 1 yr. "Retirement visa", with approximately 6 mo. remaining on my current passport ?

- 1 yr. Visa, and transfer to new passport once I have it ?

- approx. 6 mo. Retirement Visa, with requirement for new "seasoning period" at the end of the 6 mo. ?

- outright refusal, with instructions to get a new pasport first, then come back ?

- other ?

I am a long-time Thai resident, presently on a Non-Immigrant "B". To the best of my knowledge, I meet all the normal requirements for a "Retirement Visa."

You will get the extension based on retirement without any problem, but only till the date yur passport expires. When you have a new passport, you go back to immigration to transfer the stamps to the new passport and at the same time they will give you the rest of the 1 year extension for free.

Do get a new passport ASAP. In case you want to travel, you will only cna go to your homecountry as most countries require at least 6 month validity to enter!

Two more questions in this context.

Assuming he will get his new passport. They will also cancel the old one but he will be able to show the old re-entry permit stamped in the old passport.

Question 1: Will they let him in on the old re-entry permit?

Question 2: Is there any certification needed for the new passport, should he decide to get a new passport thru embassy services within Thailand?

Re: Your Question 2: These passport renewal questions depend on the country of origin; each country sets their own requirements. As a Canadian, I am able to renew my passport here. I pondered your Question 1 too. I just completed a discretionary trip outside of Thailand, timed to ensure that I was back before the 6 mo. final portion of my current passport. I suspect that Thailand will not let you come back in if you have less than 6 mo. remaining. I never quite understood the logic of this rule, but it is quite general I think. For whatever it is worth, in my view, 30 days longer than a standard 30 - 60 day tourist visa should be enough to ensure coverage due to any extended stay on account of illness etc.

My situation was very similar - only 5 month left on old US passport. I did the following:

1) Applied for new passport at US Embassy 2 month before expiration of 1 year visa extention (takes normally 3 weeks - I think).

2) Had all stamps - reentry permit (but didn't use it) - departure card - transferred from old passport to new passport by Thai immigration.

3) Applied for my next 1 year visa extention with new passport and usual documentation - without problem