My Opinion Of Pattaya

californiabeachboy

Having just returned from my first trip to Thailand, I want to share my thoughts about Pattaya.

I was reluctant to go there, having heard all the negative comments, and thought it might be h..l on Earth. Central Pattaya is in fact pretty bad - the bar girls wouldn't leave me alone, even if I was walking with my female friend). It is basically an open-air market for prostitution. But then I went up to North Pattaya (NaKlua - North of the Dolphin roundabout), and to my surprise, I really liked it! Good local markets, comfortable hotels. Not the greatest beaches in the world but not bad, and swimable. It is one of the most tourist friendly places I have been to in Thailand - great transportation with the public taxis, English is spoken, easy transportation to Bangkok, lots of good restaurants.. My feeling is that "Outer Pattaya" is not as bad as it is portrayed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pick a girl up in a night club/bar/dance (back in your home land) you pay for her drinks,a meal at the end of the night, you go back to a room have sex.What is the difference between that girl or the girl from Pattaya who you say are prostitutes????

You pick a girl up in a night club/bar/dance (back in your home land) you pay for her drinks,a meal at the end of the night, you go back to a room have sex.What is the difference between that girl or the girl from Pattaya who you say are prostitutes????

In Thailand, you can do better with a 2 for 1 deal. :)

The lady aint always a lady. Ask the Indians and arabs that are featured regularly on the cover of pattaya Daily News.

I go to Pattaya for almost every vacation that I have. It is by the ocean. Prices are reasonable for almost everything including hotels. Girls are quite friendly if you are interested and quite easy to ignore them if you aren't.

My only real complaint would be the bothersome tailors, but one can just cross over to the other side of the street.

In Thailand, you can do better with a 2 for 1 deal. :)

The lady aint always a lady. Ask the Indians and arabs that are featured regularly on the cover of pattaya Daily News.

That's the problem with those guys the poor girl gets into bed with them and don't know wich way to turn.

Because basically the girls I picked up that way back home in my youth didn't want money before they left the next morning. :)

I think Pattaya gets an unfair rap. Sure there is a sleaze factor but you can find this in almost all major cities if you look for it. Pattaya and area are diverse enough that you can still find a quiet place along a beach and enjoy shopping, go carting, island hopping or whatever you prefer. It really is what you make of it and the prices are definitely much better than Phuket. I like Phuket but I must honestly say I find the population of Pattaya much friendlier than their southern counterparts. I think it may have a lot to do with the abundance and friendliness of the Isaan people.

A thai friend was telling me that they are trying to hire only Isaan natives to drive the taxis in Ko Samui as there are more problems with southerners. Any truth to this?

Because basically the girls I picked up that way back home in my youth didn't want money before they left the next morning.

That's the problem. isn't it. We are no longer young - but in Pattaya we are all called Hansum Man. We all have egos and they are well-fed in Pattaya.

Thailand: Bangkok for the shopping, Issan for 'real' Thailand and Pattaya for fun. Yes - it's cheap, it's sleazy - but there is a lot of things to do during the daytime in Pattaya too.

Peter

Because in one instance you're paying for dinner and getting laid for free while in the other you're paying for dinner and then paying for sex.

Because basically the girls I picked up that way back home in my youth didn't want money before they left the next morning.

That's the problem. isn't it. We are no longer young - but in Pattaya we are all called Hansum Man. We all have egos and they are well-fed in Pattaya.

Thailand: Bangkok for the shopping, Issan for 'real' Thailand and Pattaya for fun. Yes - it's cheap, it's sleazy - but there is a lot of things to do during the daytime in Pattaya too.

Peter

Peter you kidding us " a lot of things to do during daytime" :)

As dealing with your hangover, counting the leftover coins in your wallet so you know what you spend least night, asking your mates if you had a good night.

Because in one instance you're paying for dinner and getting laid for free while in the other you're paying for dinner and then paying for sex.

Only a real newbie buys an expensive dinner for a working girl. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Peter

Peter you kidding us " a lot of things to do during daytime" :)

As dealing with your hangover, counting the leftover coins in your wallet so you know what you spend least night, asking your mates if you had a good night.

no temples in pattaya???

Maybe for you

... Sure there is a sleaze factor but you can find this in almost all major cities if you look for it.

The difference is the sleaze factor in other cities DO NOT occupy a good part of the CBD, is not the major "industry" in town and usually not the MAJOR reason for the town's existence. In Pattaya, the sleaze factor is everything. Hey, I am OK with it and I chose to live here in an area where I can avoid or partake in the sleaze factor; at least the options are there. My point is this: the authorities seem a little embarrassed by the reputation hence the overreaction to some minor Belgian newsreport a year ago about the sleaze factor...it's time they woke up and understand the realities of Pattaya...maybe then there'll be a little more town planning as opposed to white washing the real issues.

What is CBD? Take a map of Pattaya (there is a link to a decent one pinned on top of this forum). Then look at the area between the beach and Soi Buakao. That's where you have your sleeze. Now look at the other 9/10th of Pattaya. That's where the locals and expats live. No sleeze (or certainly not more than you would find any other place in Thailand).

Again, odd how the Pattaya bashers always judge the place on the tiny area they saw during their weekend here.

Edited by Phil Conners

What is CBD? Take a map of Pattaya (there is a link to a decent one pinned on top of this forum). Then look at the area between the beach and Soi Buakao. That's where you have your sleeze. Now look at the other 9/10th of Pattaya. That's where the locals and expats live. No sleeze (or certainly not more than you would find any other place in Thailand).

Again, odd how the Pattaya bashers always judge the place on the tiny area they saw during their weekend here.

Right on, Phil (ah... wanna revisit this issue tomorrow?)!

That was a funny post. I take it the poster was being tongue-in-cheek(no pun intended). You cold buy a Pattaya bargirl all the drinks and

nice food all night,but come the morning after the bedroom-gymnastics,you just try "not" paying her.The girl's very raison d'etre for being

in Pattaya is centered on "earning money" ,let's diplomatically say. A girl back home in a nightclub doesn't necessarily specifically

plan on renumeration for a night's activity/fun.....sure,she might want and get a kick out of some amorous guy paying for all food and drinks

but it wouldn't go and proceed to the next level of demanding money for services rendered. We all know where this is going,and "if" this

poster typed this as a genuine piece, I find it quite sad actually !!!

Sorry, perhaps you need to understand that I was referring primarily to Pattaya's Central Business District is before you reply? Anyway, your response re: between beach and Soi Buakao merely confrims my point. I did not refer to outer pattaya or or its surrounds at all but even that can be rather unpleasant in some areas. Call me a Pattaya basher, I don't really care...but just get some perspective please; I was replying to one post about how the sleaze in Pattaya is no different from other cities, which I feel is untrue given the extent of the sleaze in its main CBD areas. And that's just a statement of fact.

Just another sad attempt by a two week millionaire to slag off the place some of us call home!! :)

Home is a good word. No problem in having a wonderful family home on the outskirts of Patters, Schools, recreational facilities by the ton and as many "family" friendly restaurants to keep anyone interested for a lifetime. Families do not live in Walking Street, there is never any need to do so. However that's where the bashers just love to come for their own little fix, before scurrying back to be sanctimonious behind their keyboards........Sad really.

Just another sad attempt by a two week millionaire to slag off the place some of us call home!! :D

Home is a good word. No problem in having a wonderful family home on the outskirts of Patters, Schools, recreational facilities by the ton and as many "family" friendly restaurants to keep anyone interested for a lifetime. Families do not live in Walking Street, there is never any need to do so. However that's where the bashers just love to come for their own little fix, before scurrying back to be sanctimonious behind their keyboards........Sad really.

:):D