Old Chiang Mai Songkran Pics

Blinky Bill

These were just emailed to me by an old friend.

They are pics taken by the wife of the friend of a friend of my old friend. I hope they don't mind me putting them here.

post-24617-1270832813_thumb.jpg

This is Narawat Bridge, not the steel bridge at the eastern end of Loi Khroa Road

Duke's is just to the south of the old Church in the background

Edited by Blinky Bill

Thank you Blinky Bill!

Amazing photos!

Love the teapot one, and the 'beach' at the river!!

And everybody looks so smart! :)

*ps found an old US army jeep trailer, rotting away.. a bit like in one of the pics.. still has painted white star etc... if anyone is interested...

Edited by whiterussian

"is this thapae road?"

Yup, I reckon so. I reckon its Wat Bupparam, the first one you come to on the right hand side, going away from the moat.

Amazing pics. So many people wearing hats. Guess motorcycle killed off that fashion. Just guessing that thoes wide brimmed hats would be the traditional Thai mans hat. Apart from the farmers hat, that bit of dyed cloth, which is still seen.

(Hat collector/pervert)

Thanks for the pics.

Nice pics BB

Wat Gate Temple just behind Riverside restaurant houses a small museum of the collectibles of Mr. William Blain former and last manager of one of the teak trading companies. At the rear of the museum is a gallery of loads of old Chiang Mai photographs including a public execution. Fascinating if you like pics of old Chiang Mai. The compound where Hinlay Curry is located is owned by his granddaughter.

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for posting!!!

It also shows that Songkran was ALWAYS fun! The vinegar-pissing brigade would have you believe that it was just temples and a little water on the elder's hands 'back in the day when they first got here', typically MUCH more recent than 1965! :D:)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Interesting to see how low the water in the river is in the Narawat Bridge picture.

Not sure when the low weir (dam) was built just south of the Diamond Hotel but I'm sure it was after 1965 hence the low water levels during the dry season.

Where are the bare-breasted women ?

There's always one idiot who lowers the tone..... :)

Nice photos BB, were you around CM back then :D

It was quite normal for Northern Thai women to dress topless. There are photos in the various museums and restaurants around town such as Jok Somphet that show local women smoking cheroots walking around town bare-breasted. Styles started to change after the missionaries arrived I believe. I think by 1965 this style of public dress had pretty much disappeared though.

Edited by Loaded

It also shows that Songkran was ALWAYS fun!

Very mainstream thinking... for the other half it's defenitely no fun, more and more Thais (not only elderly) admit they don't like it.

Just a little less insane then the Indian Holy festival :)

Songkran: Buddha's big lottery... 400-600 people don't know yet they gonna die next week... You call that fun ??

This days I'm always extra happy with my 2 rai garden, internet and two full refrigirators ! :D:D

Enjoy !

I guess that means we won't be running into you. I think I'll get over that disappointment. :)

*sniff* pass the tissues then :D

look out for me, i will have the green, red & blue water gun

oh yeah nice pics btw

Edited by Donnyboy

I guess that means we won't be running into you. I think I'll get over that disappointment. :)

If it's that hard for you to overcome this is a forum where mature people share their different opinions, knowledge and experience on things, that sometimes might not be conform your personal opinion then I suggest you better look for another forum or perhaps a datingsite, however please stop replying to all my posts personally again and again, I'm not impressed by, nor interested in you, sorry.

bye.gif

Edited by ManilaLover

post-67161-1270882346_thumb.jpg I can't believe that I bought that stuff about the Thai people just sprinkling a liittle water on each other in the "good old days". :)

I agree with you very much, same here. But maybe the good old days are just a few decades further back in history, when they where driving T-Fords and horse carts, on this pics are many Jeeps visable so actually it's not that long time ago, just 4 decades, in Europe that was quitte a 'modern' time, perhaps here the same.

Ah, I love these good-old-days pics! Thanks for sharing them.

The gentlemen on pic no. 5 appears to work on some early prototype of the pressurized "Superblaster" water gun introduced in the 90s. He seems to apply a stick to a spray can, possibly creating excess pressure inside the receptacle. Fascinating!

It's also surprising that despite the use of extremely simple tools, such as bowls and kettles, everything is just as wet as today.

Cheers, CMX