Bangkok: 10+ Dead, Hundreds Hurt In Bangkok Clashes

webfact

Interesting photo in the SF Chronicle:

853f5645-c841-4755-9960-f96c6f552b6d.jpg

What are they trying to hide?

Their own responsibility for this well prepared decent into violant intimidation of a nation.

I didn't mention this in the original post, but those are indeed CCTV cameras that are being systematically covered. I guess that cameras that look down on the streets are not impartial enough witnesses for some people.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with 3 hospitals not taking any more injured, because of the lack of space, there are more than 500 injured, and there will be many more deaths of those already injured

Yes, "injured" might mean anything from a cut on the arm, to near death...

Anarchism on its way? Would be easy to take some accident victims, put them a red shirt on and tell everybody that the other side did that…I don’t really want to use my imagination at this point.

I feel sad for the soldiers and cops who have to do a job. Most soldiers, the running ones make about 3,500 baht/month. That isn’t worth to die. A similar situation for cops, can’t take their tea money out, being there.

I think you best peruse this forum and some of your like minded posters. Also and article published byt the Nation a couple of days ago. You will find many posters, Democrat Senators, and New Politics members calling for violent crackdown.

Oh yeah, The United States specificlly prohibits US Armed forces from engaging in police activity with it's own citizenry.

National guard are citizen soldier militia, taking orders from state governors.

But, please answer my questions.

How many people can the army kill in this "civil unrest" before it is too many?

How many of the "red menace" threats came to fruition and how many dead bodies did they generate?

How many are dead after 1 day of military intervention?

I see you confuse,

taking action to free to city from the red takeover attempt, even if that means some violence,

with calling for violence.

A none too subtle difference.

No one called for violence, except the red shirts.

Oh yes sending the army with LIVE ammunition was the red fault ?

Oh yes shutting down the red TV while the yellow channel is spitting

lies day and night without problem was the red fault ?

So now with 11 deads yu must be happy I suppose . Dont worry

there might be more . Abhisit has not solved anything

So tired of that bunch of facists here and their illegitimate master .

Abhisit should resign now , he failed

How can you say I could be HAPPY with this? Disgusting flame.

Mob rule can not be allowed,

while sustainable improvements for the people of Issan SHOULD be coming.

But the Red Leaders have lost any ability to work for this worthy goal,

because they have worked hard to create violence.

No army sends in armed soldiers with rubber bullets and not also providing live ammo

in case they are forced to counter live ammo themselves. SOP.

This is the same ANYWHERE.

The red started this and reap what they have sown.

All too sad, but your defense of them is more saddening yet.

Over 20 coups but Thailand's ruling Elite will get it right this time.

HAAAA HAAAAA

Cooked food on TV?

You are gone mr PM.

Can you imagine impeaching a president or removing a PM for cooking on TV?

NO you cannot because it would never happen in any other place but Thailand.

The Coup government--you remember the Captain and his gang, put in a new cout and constitution.

The Court has the power to Impeach the PM here.

Convient since none of the court members are elected.

This pretty much makes any democracy here a joke. But of course after 20 coups, it has been a joke for a long long time.

Shooting down your own people in the streets is always a low point.

BUT--when the red gang does not even break up after the gun fight, it is no longer a mob but instead is the beginning of some kind of organized resistance.

I wonder how many plane tickets are being booked by some people?

HAAAA HAAAAA

Cooked food on TV?

You are gone mr PM.

The Coup government--you remember the Captain and hi

Conflict of interest with taking money for his politics while cooking show

was conflict of interest with a segment he is supposed to regulate.

Plus taking ANY pay was against the constitution.

He wasn't impeached, but disqualified, and COULD have been back in PMs office the NEXT DAY.

But the PPP MPs under direction of Thaksin didn't vote for him. They picked Somchai.

I also at this point suspect Samak new of his liver cancer then and this may have played

a part in his not coming back. He never said a word, just walked away and weeks later into hospital.

Politically he could retire for hidden health reasons, and have something for the boss to blame on the elite.

I know you like your ideas, but try to base you arguments on facts, not wishful thinking.

Edited by animatic

I was just watching part two, of the young guy, that took the good quality video. You sort of have to watch both parts, to make sense of it all, but I thought he had some good things to say, following his shooting of part one, which was posted earlier here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/thaifaq#p/a/u/1/AATZQeLIUCY

Sorry, forgot how to insert a youtube video

+1

he seemed fairly neutral and decent footage.

More calming voices of moderation are needed.

A good friend of mine who unfortunately died not so long ago said to me:

"Never talk politics or religion with friends and keep out of such discussions. Try to say nice things about people rather than bad and look for the good in life rather than dwell on the negative. Do that and you will find you will always have a happy time. Life is far too short to spend it hating."

Such wise words.

All sounds nice and "sweet" and I have heard it many times before. My answer to that is...

Yes, I agree with the last part...Life is far too short to spend it hating. Very true! As for never talking politics and religion with friends....result...Catholic priest get to keep diddling little boys longer, the rich get to stay rich longer, oppression will continue longer. Such a sweet saying, but in the end, it just helps to keep people in the dark.

Just my opinion though :D

So many times, when I attempted to discuss a political or sometimes religous issue (in a non-agressive, friendly way) with friends, family and aquaintences, I had the above sentence thrown in my face. Sort of goes with sayings like "listen to your elders", "give to Ceasar what Ceasar is due", "when someone strikes you on one side, offer him the other cheek, too", "obey your masters" and other sayings, that help to keep the dumb, dumb, the poor, poor and the meek licking someones boots. (I haven't seen them inherrit the earth yet) :)

This is a forum about politics, but I'm sure you can find some on TV, that are not political or religious. (Not trying to be offensive, just making a point. Hope you don't take this personal)

To me, the saying "Never talk about Politics or Religion with....", doesn't wash. My saying is "No Justice - No Peace" (and no, I am not Red, not in the Thai sense of the word anyways)

I think you best peruse this forum and some of your like minded posters. Also and article published byt the Nation a couple of days ago. You will find many posters, Democrat Senators, and New Politics members calling for violent crackdown.

Oh yeah, The United States specificlly prohibits US Armed forces from engaging in police activity with it's own citizenry.

National guard are citizen soldier militia, taking orders from state governors.

But, please answer my questions.

How many people can the army kill in this "civil unrest" before it is too many?

How many of the "red menace" threats came to fruition and how many dead bodies did they generate?

How many are dead after 1 day of military intervention?

So what is your suggestion then? let the red run rough shot over Bkk forever? They are breaking the law, the other option here for those peace loving reds (sarcasm again) is to simply go home or at least protest in smaller groups without disrupting other peoples lives.

The solution as i said before was very simple . If you are the PM and yu can not negociate or stop a protest except by using live ammunition then you simply RESIGN . There is no shame in that at all . Abhisit is very very much disliked in the country side FYI , he is a golden boy with a pretty face acting as a lap dog to those who are responsible for the misery of the Isaan ppl (3000 baths per month , familly of 4 , try to live on that) and moreover he stole their vote . Had he resigned he would have triggered a political crisis followed by a move by the whole political class to form a governement of national unity and they stood a very good chance to have negociated with the reds . No need elections in 15 days for that .

Do you really believe that Abhisit would have stood by his promises to hold elections in 9 months ? And to help the poor ? All he did was done under pressure from the red in the street . He dont understand a rat ass about the poor people. I suggest that he resign soon , at the very least for blatant imcompetence

I looked a lot of videoclips about the last night from different sources. But everywhere I saw that the army are in defense, run away & "SHOT in THE AIR"!!! But the red shirts are the real agressors!!! The explosions are all the time on the soldiers site and in some clips I saw a lot of redshirts with guns in their hands.

I surprised that some people wrote the army kill the people. I'm not so shure about it!!!

It was very interesting if the medical center give more information out about what the people die and the most wounded and how much soldiers got shooting wounds.

HAAAA HAAAAA

Cooked food on TV?

You are gone mr PM.

The Coup government--you remember the Captain and hi

Conflict of interest with taking money for his politics while cooking show

was conflict of interest with a segment he is supposed to regulate.

Plus taking ANY pay was against the constitution.

He wasn't impeached, but disqualified, and COULD have been back in office the NeXT DAY.

But theMPs under direction of Thaksin didn't vote for him.

I know you like your ideas, but try to base you arguments on facts, not wishful thinking.

Over 20 coups

maybe we will get it right next time.

HAAAAAA HAAAAAA

What--the 20 coups thing is wrong?

OH--it is correct so you ignored the main point.

I disagree with your other points too.

I was correct, a PM or president in the United States of europe or Japan cannot be removed by a court. Only the Parliament of congress can do that.

At least get your facts right.

And--removing a PM for doing a cooking show is funny.

I see you confuse,

taking action to free the city from the red takeover attempt, even if that means some violence,

Really, this is a bit much, even for a champion of newspeak.

So you say you/they call for action (that may include violence) by a group (the army) whose professional expertise is violence, but you/they did NOT actually call for violence?

Really?

Tragic. Hopefully the truth will come out in time. In the meantime spin and propaganda will prevail. But so tragic. The main thing is to hope some sense will be found to bring this down now. However, everything must be very very unpredictable. Hope for calm heads to previal

19 dead, 807 injured in Bangkok clashes

By DUANGKAMON SAJIRAWATTANAKUL

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

BANGKOK: -- At least nineteen people were reported to have died and 807 injured from clashes between security forces and red-shirt demonstrators in different parts of the capital, National Emergency Centre's director Phetpong Kamchornkijakarn said late last night.

He said of the casualties, nine were civilians and two were soldiers. Of the civilians killed, eight were red-shirt protesters, while the ninth was a Japanese man who worked as a photographer for Thomson-Reuters.

As of press time on Saturday, six of the dead, including the photographer, had been sent to Central Hospital; two sent to Hua Chiew Hospital; three to Vajira Hospital, which included two soldiers and a 50-year-old red-shirt protester who succumbed to a heart attack.

The Japanese photographer, Hiroyuki Muramoto, died from a gunshot wound to his chest.

Of the red-shirt protesters, one of the dead was identified as 38-year-old Wasan Phoothong, who worked as a tailor in Samut Prakan province; while one was a 43-year-old guard for the movement. Another red-shirt protester killed was Sawat Wa-ngam, who, according to protest leader weng Tojirakarn, had died from a head injury.

Of the two dead soldiers, one was killed by a gunshot wound to his neck.

According to reports, the biggest clash took place in Bangkok's Khok Wua intersection, where about 20 soldiers, a resident and a protester were injured. The victims were taken to hospitals nearby.

Vajira Hospital's director Dr Wanchai Charoenchokthavee said 51 injured people were admitted to the hospital, including 13 soldiers and one protester, who was sustained severe injuries to his lungs and stomach. Another protester was shot in his bottom. As of press time, the injured were undergoing surgery.

Earlier reports said another foreign journalist was shot in the head at Khok Wua intersection, and Wanchai said a foreigner called John Yinglin was among the injured. However, he could not confirm if he was a foreign journalist.

Meanwhile, Central Hospital director Dr Pitchaya Nakwatchara said yesterday that 30 injured people had been brought in from the Khok Wua intersection and Makkawan-Rangsan Bridge protest sites, of which 29 were civilians and one was a solider who had sustained head injury. Of the injured, three had gunshot wounds, including an ABC-News freelance photographer Winai Ditthajorn who was shot in his left leg.

He added that red-shirt protesters had also presented medical staff with some rubber bullets found in the clash site. Pitchaya confirmed that his hospital staff was on standby round the clock.

The hospital director later revealed X-rays of the three injured people, showing that Winai had been shot by what appeared to be a real bullet, while the two red-shirt protesters, Samak Khamsameu and Tag Benjamas, had been hit by a rubber bullet. As of press time, the three were undergoing surgery and will be under observation for three days.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanavisit, who is also chairman of the National Emergency Centre, said of the six soldiers sent to Siriraj Hospital, one had sustained a gunshot. He went on say that he had told all 79 emergency centres nationwide to work with Bangkok hospitals.

Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand's secretary-general Chatree Charoencheevakul said he expected the numbers of casualties to rise further, adding that he had put 1,000 medical staff and 150 ambulances on standby.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I looked a lot of videoclips about the last night from different sources. But everywhere I saw that the army are in defense, run away & "SHOT in THE AIR"!!! But the red shirts are the real agressors!!! The explosions are all the time on the soldiers site and in some clips I saw a lot of redshirts with guns in their hands.

I surprised that some people wrote the army kill the people. I'm not so shure about it!!!

It was very interesting if the medical center give more information out about what the people die and the most wounded and how much soldiers got shooting wounds.

As people have mentioned, if you fire even rubber bullets at close range they are lethal. Therefore, if you are a soldier with apparently incompetent commanders they give you non-lethal ammunition and allow you to get into close proximity with the protest so that in order to save lives you have to shoot into the air.

If red was shooting red, don't you think that that story would run through the protesters like wildfire? 500 baht or not, I don't think I would stay around to protest if I thought my own side might shoot me for the publicity.

I think it far more logical to believe that an under trained army got caught in close proximity street violence and protesters got shot either by rubber bullets at close range or live ammunition. Do you honestly believe that there wasn't any live ammunition used yesterday? This is an army breaking up serious street protests. They need to have live ammunition available simply for their own protection.

19 dead, 807 injured in Bangkok clashes

By DUANGKAMON SAJIRAWATTANAKUL

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

BANGKOK: -- At least nineteen people were reported to have died and 807 injured from clashes between security forces and red-shirt demonstrators in different parts of the capital, National Emergency Centre's director Phetpong Kamchornkijakarn said late last night.

He said of the casualties, nine were civilians and two were soldiers. Of the civilians killed, eight were red-shirt protesters, while the ninth was a Japanese man who worked as a photographer for Thomson-Reuters.

As of press time on Saturday, six of the dead, including the photographer, had been sent to Central Hospital; two sent to Hua Chiew Hospital; three to Vajira Hospital, which included two soldiers and a 50-year-old red-shirt protester who succumbed to a heart attack.

The Japanese photographer, Hiroyuki Muramoto, died from a gunshot wound to his chest.

Of the red-shirt protesters, one of the dead was identified as 38-year-old Wasan Phoothong, who worked as a tailor in Samut Prakan province; while one was a 43-year-old guard for the movement. Another red-shirt protester killed was Sawat Wa-ngam, who, according to protest leader weng Tojirakarn, had died from a head injury.

Of the two dead soldiers, one was killed by a gunshot wound to his neck.

According to reports, the biggest clash took place in Bangkok's Khok Wua intersection, where about 20 soldiers, a resident and a protester were injured. The victims were taken to hospitals nearby.

Vajira Hospital's director Dr Wanchai Charoenchokthavee said 51 injured people were admitted to the hospital, including 13 soldiers and one protester, who was sustained severe injuries to his lungs and stomach. Another protester was shot in his bottom. As of press time, the injured were undergoing surgery.

Earlier reports said another foreign journalist was shot in the head at Khok Wua intersection, and Wanchai said a foreigner called John Yinglin was among the injured. However, he could not confirm if he was a foreign journalist.

Meanwhile, Central Hospital director Dr Pitchaya Nakwatchara said yesterday that 30 injured people had been brought in from the Khok Wua intersection and Makkawan-Rangsan Bridge protest sites, of which 29 were civilians and one was a solider who had sustained head injury. Of the injured, three had gunshot wounds, including an ABC-News freelance photographer Winai Ditthajorn who was shot in his left leg.

He added that red-shirt protesters had also presented medical staff with some rubber bullets found in the clash site. Pitchaya confirmed that his hospital staff was on standby round the clock.

The hospital director later revealed X-rays of the three injured people, showing that Winai had been shot by what appeared to be a real bullet, while the two red-shirt protesters, Samak Khamsameu and Tag Benjamas, had been hit by a rubber bullet. As of press time, the three were undergoing surgery and will be under observation for three days.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanavisit, who is also chairman of the National Emergency Centre, said of the six soldiers sent to Siriraj Hospital, one had sustained a gunshot. He went on say that he had told all 79 emergency centres nationwide to work with Bangkok hospitals.

Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand's secretary-general Chatree Charoencheevakul said he expected the numbers of casualties to rise further, adding that he had put 1,000 medical staff and 150 ambulances on standby.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Can you imagine a PM in the UK serviving after his own military did this to Englishman?

NO

807 imjured.

over 15 dead.

The military opened up with Military fast fire rifles on Thai people.

So much for that nonsense about Thais love thai.

Obviously there was not much love in this case.

So what is your suggestion then? let the red run rough shot over Bkk forever? They are breaking the law, the other option here for those peace loving reds (sarcasm again) is to simply go home or at least protest in smaller groups without disrupting other peoples lives.

The solution as i said before was very simple . If you are the PM and yu can not negociate or stop a protest except by using live ammunition then you simply RESIGN . There is no shame in that at all . Abhisit is very very much disliked in the country side FYI , he is a golden boy with a pretty face acting as a lap dog to those who are responsible for the misery of the Isaan ppl (3000 baths per month , familly of 4 , try to live on that) and moreover he stole their vote . Had he resigned he would have triggered a political crisis followed by a move by the whole political class to form a governement of national unity and they stood a very good chance to have negociated with the reds . No need elections in 15 days for that .

Do you really believe that Abhisit would have stood by his promises to hold elections in 9 months ? And to help the poor ? All he did was done under pressure from the red in the street . He dont understand a rat ass about the poor people. I suggest that he resign soon , at the very least for blatant imcompetence

So basically you ARE suggesting that violent mobs run rough shot over Bangkok forever. This mob, then the next mob, then the mob after that.

So when it was kicking off big time this guy was trying to file his story in an internet cafe instead of on the street collected some facts for us.

"While we talked and checked whether other friends were safe, a man was led by stripped to the waist, whimpering in fear, being bashed around by red shirt guards. He seemed to have been some kind of infiltrator"

A tactic used all over the world by security forces in order to create an excuse for a crackdown, place undercover agents in the crowd to ignite violence.

I see you confuse,

taking action to free the city from the red takeover attempt, even if that means some violence,

So you say you/they call for action (that may include violence) by a group (the army) whose professional expertise is violence, but you/they did NOT actually call for violence?

Really?

Yes.

I guess you're more intent on parsing words than dealing with things as they are.

Real politik is not always pleasant, but it is real. It's a shame you side pushed it this far.

Because it set back the causes of some of their members for a long time. Too sad.

madi this is Thailand not USA, different laws, so different way that they can be applied.

Edited by animatic

At least nineteen people were reported to have died and 807 injured from clashes between security forces and red-shirt demonstrators in different parts of the capital, National Emergency Centre's director Phetpong Kamchornkijakarn said late last night.

9 + 2 = 19??????????

Who were the other 8 dead?

I see you confuse,

Really?

yes, guess your more intent on parsing words than dealing with things as they are.

Real politik is not always pleasant, but it is real. It's a shame you side pushed it this far.

Because it set back the causes of some of their members for a long time. Too sad.

madi this is Thailand not USA, different laws, so different way that they can be applied.

Parsing words? No.

I'm asking a straightforward question.

No parse, no spin, no extra meaning. I'm pretty sure all the words are there and yours.

It is a pretty important point.

Oh yes sending the army with LIVE ammunition was the red fault ?

Oh yes shutting down the red TV while the yellow channel is spitting

lies day and night without problem was the red fault ?

So now with 11 deads yu must be happy I suppose . Dont worry

there might be more . Abhisit has not solved anything

So tired of that bunch of facists here and their illegitimate master .

Abhisit should resign now , he failed

How can you say I could be HAPPY with this? Disgusting flame.

Mob rule can not be allowed,

while sustainable improvements for the people of Issan SHOULD be coming.

But the Red Leaders have lost any ability to work for this worthy goal,

because they have worked hard to create violence.

No army sends in armed soldiers with rubber bullets and not also providing live ammo

in case they are forced to counter live ammo themselves. SOP.

This is the same ANYWHERE.

The red started this and reap what they have sown.

All too sad, but your defense of them is more saddening yet.

You havent replied on shutting down the TV station which started the

violence

Where have you travelled lately ? Somalia , Uganda or Sudan ?

Which democratic governement sends armed soldier with live ammo against

civilians . They send police with tear gas , sound projector , water canon .

Takes a bit longer but usually no deads .

If the governement cant train properly his police in crowd control

they have no one to blame but themselves

But then you are right in one thing ,Abhisit governement dont answer to the people

he is illegitimate , so what for bother ...

I was just watching part two, of the young guy, that took the good quality video. You sort of have to watch both parts, to make sense of it all, but I thought he had some good things to say, following his shooting of part one, which was posted earlier here...

Is that his part 2, I thought he was going to give us more footage of events. Part 1 is good though.

Yes, I was expecting more footage, too, but after listening to his commentary in part 2, I thought it was pretty interesting and put things into a little more perspective. It sounds, like there is supposed to be a part three, that is very graphic, but I haven't been able to locate it so far. Did anyone else find it?

This young man beats the biggies in the business. Very good assetments about the situation.

In 1992 it was about the same.

Third hand, probably army, kinda Sae Daeng and Sondhi, Chamlong created troubles. Army came back at 4:05 with an foreign instructor commanding the soldiers. The first line shot into the crowd, The lines behind into the air. Some Thai army commanders shot with their pistols into the crowd. Army had also snipers on the rooftops near PanFah bridge.

The only difference today is that it is without snipers.

I see you confuse,

Really?

Yes.

I guess you're more intent on parsing words than dealing with things as they are.

That is not my post.

Democracy is an English word with a real definition.

Thailand is not a democracy. Use a Thai word then.

HAAAA HAAAAA

But those dead people sure were not getting love from their Thai brothers in the army were they.

Over 800 dead and wounded in about 1 minute seems to point to thousands of shots being fires by the Thai army upon Thai people.

You want to defend that, be my guest but it is undependable in my eyes.

Is that his part 2, I thought he was going to give us more footage of events. Part 1 is good though.

Yes, I was expecting more footage, too, but after listening to his commentary in part 2, I thought it was pretty interesting and put things into a little more perspective. It sounds, like there is supposed to be a part three, that is very graphic, but I haven't been able to locate it so far. Did anyone else find it?

This young man beats the biggies in the business. Very good assetments about the situation.

In 1992 it was about the same.

Third hand, probably army, kinda Sae Daeng and Sondhi, Chamlong created troubles. Army came back at 4:05 with an foreign instructor commanding the soldiers. The first line shot into the crowd, The lines behind into the air. Some Thai army commanders shot with their pistols into the crowd. Army had also snipers on the rooftops near PanFah bridge.

The only difference today is that it is without snipers.

Agree this bloke seems to be the most reliable news source coming out of Thailand at the moment.

So basically you ARE suggesting that violent mobs run rough shot over Bangkok forever. This mob, then the next mob, then the mob after that.

Read what i said . I suggested a political solution that would had avoided loss of life while solving the problem of the mob as you call them . Of course Abhisit would have been sided out but he is on his way out anyway .

THE NATION: Nuttawut confirmed M79 were fired toward soldiers, "but not by us. We take no responsibility."

It's those fake reds again. They are very useful when violence comes from the red side.

"We take no responsibility"

That's the core of the problem isn't it. Incite violence, and then take no responsibility. That's who these protestors want to lead the country???

Edited by anotherpeter

Interesting photo in the SF Chronicle:

853f5645-c841-4755-9960-f96c6f552b6d.jpg

What are they trying to hide?

Their own responsibility for this well prepared decent into violant intimidation of a nation.

I didn't mention this in the original post, but those are indeed CCTV cameras that are being systematically covered. I guess that cameras that look down on the streets are not impartial enough witnesses for some people.

The nation (website) reported yesterday afternoon that the cameras were covered just after one of the red leaders called for the destruction of BTS stations. If you look carefully you can see the cameras are pointed almost directly down (or in the sky looking for birds?) and are presumably BTS surveillance cameras.

Abhisit really doesn't have many choices, nor would any other person in his place. It is easy to sit and critique the guy, but fact is, I don't think anyone could have done much better! It is simply the situation that makes his job so impossible.

I agree. He is a good man doing the best he can with an impossible situation. The redshirts know that a protest without civil disobedience rarely changes anything and Abhisit has to protect downtown businesses and the economy.

Let us hope that everyone concerned can come to peaceful solution.

spacer.gifu17361565.jpg

You think your business is safe because you sided with them? Think again.