Taxi Service At Don Muang

johna

I am in thailand several times each year going back 20 years and am still

amazed at the chaos of taxi service at the airport, the reuirement to obtain

a ticket before entering a taxi, the idiotic space alloted to taxis and the touts

waiting for you in the arrivals hall. Will the new airport be any better

a ticket before entering a taxi, the idiotic space alloted to taxis and the touts

Oh much better I'm sure. After all, it's a new airport! :o

There are two lanes of taxis at three terminals so is that too much or too little for you?

You receive a "ticket" as a receipt in case of any problem - it has the taxi number and instructions for redress and explains that the 50 baht surcharge is in addition to meter rate.

I did not notice any touts on last airport use (since extra security in place) but they are not that hard to avoid. I have done so for 35 years without a problem.

How can anyone answer your supposed question for an unfinished and unopen airport? Ask again next year. :o

Just go to Departures level and do a deal with cab dropping off someone , no queues no voucher no fee to cabby for accessing airport!! Same everwhere.

Edited by spacebass

Taxis in BKK's airport are cheap and easy to get. Just queue 5 minutes, pay 50 baht (1 Euro!!!) surcharge and ask the driver to use the toll way ....... one of the easiest cities in the world!!!

The worst experience in my life was on NY JFK airport, a real mess with coloured big guys talking to you in a language (the say it's slang) they only understand in the Queens, overcharging you, ........

.... ops Miami is even worst, but at least I can speak spanish much better than the NYC slang :o

Take the lift - or the escalator up to 'Departures' level.

Walk outside the doors and get into any taxi which has just dropped off a departing passenger. No 50 baht surcharge to pay to the 'cartel' running Don Muang taxi rank there.

There are two lanes of taxis at three terminals so is that too much or too little for you?

You receive a "ticket" as a receipt in case of any problem - it has the taxi number and instructions for redress and explains that the 50 baht surcharge is in addition to meter rate.

I did not notice any touts on last airport use (since extra security in place) but they are not that hard to avoid.  I have done so for 35 years without a problem.

How can anyone answer your supposed question for an unfinished and unopen airport?  Ask again next year. :o

agree for this post. I did the same thing. :D

If you think it's bad there try the railway station.

I wanted to go to my sister in laws place "You want taxi mister?" well yes as a matter of fact I do, taken to a tuk tuk I want a a taxi, OK 500 baht. nope I want a meter and turn it on, no this good price, bye then.

Went across the road got a metered taxi, 140 baht, I know they have to make a living but it does get a bit tiring after about 20 years.

Always upstairs in depatures never failed me yet, screw paying them an extra 50 baht, and if by some terrible misfortune there arent any taxis at departures :o just walk out of the airport and get one in the road.

Edited by daleyboy

Always upstairs in depatures never failed me yet, screw paying them an extra 50 baht, and if by some terrible misfortune there arent any taxis at departures :D  just walk out of the airport and get one in the road.

No regard for the mess it makes for others trying to find an unloading place (it is an unloading zone with no pickup allowed) - you really need to save that 50 baht. Never mind the 50 baht pays for security check, video of driver and recording of taxi information for your well-being. :o

Always upstairs in depatures never failed me yet, screw paying them an extra 50 baht, and if by some terrible misfortune there arent any taxis at departures :D  just walk out of the airport and get one in the road.

No regard for the mess it makes for others trying to find an unloading place (it is an unloading zone with no pickup allowed) - you really need to save that 50 baht. Never mind the 50 baht pays for security check, video of driver and recording of taxi information for your well-being. :o

Yeah fair enough i take your point about causing confusion with those trying to unload, i normally try and find one that has actually unloaded first before trying to get in :D as far as saving myself 50 baht! that is neither here nor there but is the principle of the matter, you are already paying for the taxi so why should you pay for a second charge? Obviously if you feel safer taking this route then by all means, but imho i feel perfectly comfortable and safe in a normal metered taxi from the departures or the road. :D

As I have been taking taxi service since before they were even allowed into the airport area (it used to be you bartered ride with off duty Air Force enlisted men driving officers cars with black plates and dodged the police into the city) I really do not have a fear. But I do try to play by the rules and do not consider 50 baht a turning point for that course.

My post was not really aimed at you personally but you were the last in a line of people saying how great this method is and wanted to point out that it is not what they should be doing and that the 50 baht is used for more than lining pockets.

As I have been taking taxi service since before they were even allowed into the airport area (it used to be you bartered ride with off duty Air Force enlisted men driving officers cars with black plates and dodged the police into the city) I really do not have a fear.  But I do try to play by the rules and do not consider 50 baht a turning point for that course.

My post was not really aimed at you personally but you were the last in a line of people saying how great this method is and wanted to point out that it is not what they should be doing and that the 50 baht is used for more than lining pockets.

Dont worry i didnt take it personally :o just my personal feelings on the matter each to their own and live and let live is what i say.

Thats cool you must have been there a longggggggg time ago i would love to hear some of your stories from Bangkok of old as i am relatively new to Thailand only five years or so :D

I usually get picked up by a friend, the one time I didn't I paid 60 baht for the Kao San Rd bus and hopped off at Victory Monument and onto the Skytrain.

I don't do airport taxis.

Would not expect the Scamp to do taxi. But at least you did not climb into a public bus with a 30kg ruksak as some do. :o

I usually get picked up by a friend, the one time I didn't I paid 60 baht for the Kao San Rd bus and hopped off at Victory Monument and onto the Skytrain.

I don't do airport taxis.

Would not expect the Scamp to do taxi. But at least you did not climb into a public bus with a 30kg ruksak as some do. :o

I don't do 30Kg rucksacks. :D

Never mind the 50 baht pays for security check, video of driver and recording of taxi information for your well-being.  :o

Lop - I applaud your confidence in that system working for you if it is ever required.

I too put my cart in the elevator and ride up to departures. I don't believe I have hindered anyones ability to park ,as the taxi I wave over is as keen to depart as I am.

I think it is much easier then pissing around with the instituted system - I wonder how many thai's do the same thing?

I agree with Lopburi3.

The 50 Baht surcharge was started along with some measures to try to the Taxi service into a better shape, including some attempts towards better security, less overcharging, etc.

For those who didn't experience the old situation, then I can assure you it is worth the 50 Baht. I've been here permanently for nearly 20 years, I work continuously right across Asia, and I re-enter Thailand 4 to 5 times every month.

I can tell you dozens of horror stories from personal and friends experiences from the situation before the 50 Baht era. One I recall was 'I want to take you shopping to Silom Road and to Jewellery store'. I made it very plain that I was not interested and wanted to go directly to home, all of this in Thai language. The reply was 'Mr Samak (former governer of Bangkok) has made a rule that it's compulsory for all arriving foreigners to go shopping on Silom Rd and to visit a jewellery shop, immediately upon arrival'. I insisted, very loudly, that he stop the car, and I walked back to the terminal and started again.

A farang acquaintenace (second work trip to Bangkok) tried the departures level idea, perhaps about 6 months ago. Turned out the driver spoke good English. Passenger ended up paying: metre, plus 50 Baht (driver said he had already paid 50 Baht cash to enter the airport grounds - which is not true), plus extra 100 Baht for English speaking driver, plus 30 Baht for each piece of luggage. Farang paid the whole bill because he was a little afraid of the driver.

There is in fact a long list of Taxis who have been permanently barred from the 50 Baht passenger pick up area.

I have noticed several times lately that the touts hanging around the exit doors, both terminals, have been forced to stay within a couple of metres of their booth, and not allowed to confront arrivers. A Thai accquaintance who works for the Airports Authority of Thailand told me that this is to punish them for the aggressive behavior, and for telling 'untruths' to customers - such as 'have car waiting now' which turns out to be untrue and the customer then waits for one of their vehicles to return from last trip.

I too hope it's a lot better at the new airport, i'm not holding my breath.

Regards

Maybe it's just me, but the last few times I have come home, I noticed that the taxi queue was much worse than normal - I have on several occassions waited around 20 minutes in a long line - there were hardly any taxis at all - mind you, it was close to the 6pm time, so I guess it's no surprise in a way.

It's normal at a number of airports I have travelled through to pay a surcharge - Singapore is a case in point where the surcharge used to be S$3 (about 75 Baht) for trips starting at the airport - not bad when you consider how long some of the drivers had to wait, and not a huge problem when you really consider the efficiency of the taxi system in Singapore in general.

I HOPE the new airport has taxi pick-up lanes styled along the lines of those in Changi as that system works very well.

Does anyone know if the Sky Train system extends to the new airport (or is planned to go that far)?

Must admit though that the current system, even with the 50 baht surcharge, is still a lot better than it used to be.... my only real question is not directly related to the airport, but to the taxi service in general - why do they always make the shift changes right in the middle of the rush hour?

:o

Ok. This 50 baht service if for our well-being and to reduce overcharging.

Last time at the airport i was planning to take a taxi to Ekamai , leave my bags there , do some shopping on Sukhumvit and then catch the bus to Pattaya.

At the 50 baht ticket stand i was asked my destination and after replying Ekamai i was informed by the official issueing the tickets that if i wanted to go to Pattaya i could go all the way by taxi and the fare would be 2500 baht . More than twice the going rate of 1200 baht.

I find it ironic that this system set up to protect us is blatently trying to rip us off.

Does anyone know if the Sky Train system extends to the new airport (or is planned to go that far)?

:o

In the first project, yest the sky train (or subway, I do not remember) had to reach the new airport.

Today they decided first to finish the airport and then to make the train/subway station, ....... but nobody wants it!!!

The mafia of the taxi drivers and all the other people working in the tousists transportation will be begging and compete with the worm man in Nana,

HONESTLY THINKING: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

...... but miracles happen sometime

Never mind the 50 baht pays for security check, video of driver and recording of taxi information for your well-being.  :o

Lop - I applaud your confidence in that system working for you if it is ever required.

I too put my cart in the elevator and ride up to departures. I don't believe I have hindered anyones ability to park ,as the taxi I wave over is as keen to depart as I am.

I think it is much easier then pissing around with the instituted system - I wonder how many thai's do the same thing?

But you have. Now every cab that observed him get a fare will delay there departure as long as they can in hope they too can get someone. Soon you have a traffic nightmare with those arriving not being able to access the terminal.

. More than twice the going rate of 1200 baht.

reading the card on the back of the front seats in some taxis , the price is 1500 baht.

If the pattaya highway police see a bangkok taxi they pull them over to get a cut of the money.

But you have.  Now every cab that observed him get a fare will delay there departure as long as they can in hope they too can get someone.  Soon you have a traffic nightmare with those arriving not being able to access the terminal.

Maybe , though as far as I observe every taxi driver is already looking for a fare from departures. All I ever do is catch the searching eye and give a nod and they pull over.

Upatairs I can also choose a nice new taxi , versus the sad peices of <deleted> that I have had to take from downstairs.

and remember this thread

Taxi driver accuses officer of brutal assault

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver has sought help from crime suppression police after allegedly being beaten up at Don Muang airport on Monday by a lieutenant colonel who is also the chief security guard of an airport taxi concessionaire.

Maybe the original intent of the taxi stand at the airport was to protect the tourists ( thought the cynic in me does not accept that ) , but now I would say its has been co-opted for the purpose of maintaining the mia noi/ mercedes / alcohol fund.

I will ask the girlfriend's brother in law ( a bangkok taxi driver ) when I next see him some questions concerning taxi's and the airport. I will post them when I have them.