Getting To Bangkok Railroad Station From Pattaya

farangguy

Have to get to the railroad station in Bangkok to catch a train south.

Which public transport option would you choose?

Bus to Ekkami? Van to Victory Monument?

Everyone disparages the train from Pattaya to Bangkok but if the train arrives in Bangkok at a good time it seems simplest (except for a cab)if you're taking another train onward.

Opinions?

Using the bus only:

To Hua Lumphong from Morchit 2, use # 77 to go to any point on Phahonyothin Road, get off and board #29. It goes right in to Hua Lumphong Station.

From Ekkamai, use #25, westbound on Sukhumwit Road

If you want to use the BTS Skytrain, to speed up the trip a little:

From Morchit 2, use the #77 bus to Morchit BTS station. Get on the skytrain, but get off at Ratchathewi Station, or any station before that. Exit on the east side (left side in the direction of travel), and board the #29 bus.

From Ekkamai, board the west bound BTS at the station which is about 100 metres east of the bus station. Get off at Ploenchit or any station before that. On the south side of the road (left side,in the direction of travel), board the #25.

Notes: There may be other buses that also work, but these ones come to mind at the moment, and all offer frequent service.

I have prepared this reply in consideration of the "Red Shirt" protests currently disrupting the Ratprasong Intersection. Because of this, the #25 has had to alter its route; the above directions have taken this into consideration.

Another option would be to take the skytrain from the Ekamai bus station to Asoke and then the subway to Hualampong.

Thanks to all who provided input. I think of the alternatives Deke's is the one that I'm most comfortable with since I have never taken any city busses and have luggage. I assume the bus to Ekkami is quicker than to Morchit, is this correct?

I don't go to Bangkok often. How long does the bus take at the end of rush hour? How long should the BTS/subway combo take.

Am also wondering if I can avoid a private taxi to the Pattaya train station if I went that way. Is there are a 10 baht bus that goes from Sukhumvit to the Pattaya train station and if so is there an overpasss or easy cross across Sukhumvit at that point.

Lastly, I haven't ruled out a taxi to Bangkok as there's two people (full disclosure). If I had prepaid reservations for a 19:30 train, what time should I leave Pattaya given that I want a safe cushion so as not to miss the train.

I assume the bus to Ekkami is quicker than to Morchit, is this correct?

Actually, I think it is faster to Morchit. Although the distance is a little more, the bus remains on the elevated expressway until it is almost at the Morchit terminal.

Going to Ekamai on the other hand, it comes down off of the expressway at Bang Na, and then proceeds through city traffic along Sukhumwit road for anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.

In summary: From Pattaya to Morchit: 2 hrs.

From Pattaya to Ekkamai: 2 hrs. to 2 hrs. 30 min. depending on traffic.

Where in Bangkok does the Bll Bus switch you to vans?

Bangkok Office

Office Hours: 07:30 – 19:30, 7 days/week

Located on: Bangna Trad Road km.1 (Near Central Bangna Shopping Mall and opposite BITEC)

Address: 38/12 Bangna-Trad Road, Bangna, Bangkok 10260 Thailand

Contact numbers: 66 (0) 2747-4673, 66 (0) 2747-4675, 66 (0) 2747-4676

Suvarnabhumi airport

Office Hours: 07:30 – 18:00, 7 days/week

Located on: Level 1, Gate no.7 next to Tourist Police counter with a small sign of “Pattaya - Bell Travel Service”

Contact numbers: 66 (0) 89-449-8841 and 66 (0) 89-449-8842

Pattaya Office

Office Hours: 07:30 – 19:30, 7 days/week

Located on: North Pattaya Road (inside Pattaya Bus Station, our office is on the right)

Address: 6/14 Moo 6 North Pattaya Rd., Naklua, Banglamung, Cholburi 20150

Contact numbers: 66 (0) 3837-0055, 66 (0) 3837-0056 and 66 (0) 89-449-8843