Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal

sarahlou

I need to get a Thai SIM card. It's for fairly infrequent use - a small number of local landline and mobile calls and occasional international calls when my internet phones (Skype/Vonage) are not available. Can anyone recommend which provider is reliable and inexpensive? I know of two - DTAC and True - but I have no idea whether one is considered better than the other. By preference I'd like one with credit which doesn't expire if that's possible, as I sometimes don't visit Thailand for a few months at a time and therefore would not be using it during that time.

Thanks.

not sure whether AIS Sawadee SIMs still available;

used to cost 49 Baht; any top up and the validity is extended to a year

I guess you are thinking of the AIS Sawasdee Naan Naan card. Every top up gives you 365 days from date of top up. Those cards appear to be in short supply. Took me 10 days to get one here in Chiang Rai (and then I had to pay a 150 baht premium price). Other Sawasdee cards do not confer the same benefit.

Surely it's a joke to mention AIS. For simplicity, get a HAPPY Simple SIM. 49 baht at 7/11. Easily available. Each 60 baht top up will extend your validity to one year.

For International calls I would recommend you keep another card on standby; TRUE Inter, again 49 baht. International calls from 1 baht via 00600.

The question was "Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal?", not just any mobile phone deal. :)

Surely it's a joke to mention AIS. For simplicity, get a HAPPY Simple SIM. 49 baht at 7/11. Easily available. Each 60 baht top up will extend your validity to one year.

For International calls I would recommend you keep another card on standby; TRUE Inte, again 49 baht. International calls from 1 baht via 00600.

The question was "Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal?", not just any mobile phone deal. :)

That's really useful info, thanks. The True Inter card looks great - I'm going to pop out and get one this evening. This is my first ever post on here - a great start! :D

For International calls I would recommend you keep another card on standby; TRUE Inter, again 49 baht. International calls from 1 baht via 00600.

I've had to buy a new Happy SIM on every visit because they cut me off.

There are several Happy deals. I had to get a new one recently (had the card for years, time to get a new number :) ). Did it at MBK, the gal told me good for 30 days, have to top up every 30. I asked about a card that's good for a year, and after a phone call and the arrival os another girl I have a card good for a year. I'm not sure how much time-to-expiration an extension top-up gives.

The question was "Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal?", not just any mobile phone deal. :rolleyes:

You think DTAC is "Best" in an area like mine where they have (very) poor coverage? In the mountains of Chiang Rai AIS blows them away and AFAIK AIS has good coverage just about everywhere throughout the Kingdom.

You think DTAC is "Best" in an area like mine where they have (very) poor coverage? In the mountains of Chiang Rai AIS blows them away and AFAIK AIS has good coverage just about everywhere throughout the Kingdom.

It seems that you can see something the rest of us cannot.... the title must read to you Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal in the mountains of Chiang Rai?. :D

I've had to buy a new Happy SIM on every visit because they cut me off.

Read the post again...allow me to assist you; ....

get a HAPPY Simple SIM. 49 baht at 7/11
It's in a brown envelope, as opposed to white or red.

Even if you don't have a Simple SIM, you can 'extend' your airtime validity on a normal HAPPY SIM tariff at a cost of 2 baht for 30 days. 24 baht for a year won't break your bank.

The question was "Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal?", not just any mobile phone deal. :rolleyes:

It seems that you can see something the rest of us cannot.... the title must read to you Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal in the mountains of Chiang Rai?. :rolleyes:

"Best Coverage" is self-evidently a significant component of "Best Deal". A little help required here for the hard of thinking, it seems.

It seems that you can see something the rest of us cannot.... the title must read to you Best Pre-paid Mobile Phone Deal in the mountains of Chiang Rai?. :D

"Best Coverage" is self-evidently a significant component of "Best Deal". A little help required here for the hard of thinking, it seems.

If the OP, such as yourself lived in Ban Nork where only one network has good coverage, don't you think that she would state 'Best Mobile deal with said network'?

Maybe you would have done better to ask the OP where she intended to stay, rather than your initial negative posting. Therein you could have consulted the coverage maps and actually attempted to contribute something positive to this thread.

It's frankly pathetic when, instead of conceding you have a spurious argument, you insist on carrying on with your nonsense.

• 1 year later...

The website for True sims indicate top ups are available from 7-11's but dont say where the sim itself can be purchased ??

Do 7-11's carry them ?? Is there a Counter at Swampy ??

The website for True sims indicate top ups are available from 7-11's but dont say where the sim itself can be purchased ??

Do 7-11's carry them ?? Is there a Counter at Swampy ??

Yes, there is a TRUE Outlet at the airport. You can safely resist their attempts to tack on a 300 baht refill card(unless you actually want/need it) to your 49 baht purchase of an Inter SIM. You can buy Inter SIMs(49 baht)refills from 50 baht upwards from your local 7/11 & Family Mart.

If you are using it for 3G access, you may need the larger refill card anyway.