Governments Around The World Warn Citizens To Avoid Thailand

webfact

Governments warn citizens to avoid Thailand

SYDNEY (AFP) -- Governments around the world warned their citizens to avoid Thailand's capital Bangkok as deadly political violence paralysed the city centre Friday.

From Washington to London and Canberra governments also joined the UN in urging all sides to show restraint as riot police faced off against thousands of anti-government "Red Shirts" behind heavily fortified barricades.

Tensions in the long-running political standoff rose after five grenade blasts hit the area on Thursday night, leaving one Thai woman dead and scores wounded, including foreigners.

"There is a strong possibility of renewed violent clashes in Bangkok between demonstrators and security forces," Australia's foreign affairs department said, as it confirmed that an Australian was among the wounded.

"We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Thailand."

The United States also warned that more violence was possible.

"Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, all US citizens should avoid non-essential travel to Bangkok," the State Department said, upgrading a travel alert issued two days earlier.

"The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out."

The State Department also urged travellers to exercise caution in provincial areas, warning that protesters could spread to other parts of the kingdom if dispersed in the capital.

Britain, France and Austria urged their citizens to stay away from the demonstrations, while Finland said it would move its embassy from the area to temporary premises.

London warned against all but essential travel to the Thai capital due to the "increasingly volatile" situation on the streets.

French foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said in a statement: "We advise our compatriots to exercise the utmost caution and in particular not to go to places where there are political gatherings."

He expressed concern over stern warnings by Thai army spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd that force could be used in a crackdown against the anti-government protesters.

"We reiterate our call to the authorities and protesters to act responsibly," Valero said. "It is more indispensable than ever for dialogue to prevail over confrontation."

Austria's foreign ministry also issued a travel warning, advising against any unnecessary trip to the Thai capital, citing a "high security risk for the greater Bangkok area".

The United Nations appealed to authorities and anti-government protesters to avoid further violence and settle their dispute through dialogue.

"We appeal to both the protesters and the Thai authorities to avoid further violence and loss of life and to work to resolve the situation peacefully through dialogue," UN spokesman Martin Nesirky told a press briefing.

"This is a moment that requires restraint on all sides."

Nesirky said UN chief Ban Ki-moon was "very concerned about the continuing standoff and tension in Thailand and the potential for this to escalate."

The Reds began mass anti-government rallies in Bangkok in mid-March that degenerated into fierce clashes with security forces on April 10, leaving 25 dead and more than 800 injured.

The Thai authorities say Thursday's grenade attack came from within the Red Shirts' sprawling encampment, which has been fortified with sharpened bamboo stakes and piles of car tyres.

The protesters are demanding immediate elections.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-23

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I think it's only a matter of time before Foreign Governments put the Red Shirts on the Terrorist list.

I hope they do so, just so the people watching the news understand that these terrorists are not supported by 99.9% of the population here.

They give Thailand a bad image pretending to be a massive protest while they are just criminals on the run. They have hurt the country and it's reputation very badly.

Anyone associated by any means with them should also be jailed, for supporting a Terrorist Organization.

Why isn't the Thai Baht falling..... surely the govt can't support their currency indefinitely......

Yearning for the good old days of 70 baht to the pound....

It did went form 32.16 to 32.32= $ one problem back to 32.19 now. 70 to the pound again in our dream's.

How much longer can the PM sit with his thumb up his bum?

Anbd what do you presume will happen after he removes it? :)

since it it has been up there for quite some time now

so I guess when he finally removes it it will realease

quite a lot of pressure, no telling how loud or dangerous

the explosion(s) will be

I think it's only a matter of time before Foreign Governments put the Red Shirts on the Terrorist list.

I hope they do so, just so the people watching the news understand that these terrorists are not supported by 99.9% of the population here.

They give Thailand a bad image pretending to be a massive protest while they are just criminals on the run. They have hurt the country and it's reputation very badly.

Anyone associated by any means with them should also be jailed, for supporting a Terrorist Organization.

The red shirts won't get on any international terrorist list.

Unless ofcourse the government does clean them out of their protest zone. Then they will start attacking government properties in the country areas, just to show how democratic they are.

You have been reading too much propaganda. The word terrorists is being used to justify action from the incredibly inept government that may result in more death and injury.

The reds had held many cards until recently and had made their point and should have packed up a couple of weeks ago at least and started preparing for elections for which they had a huge amount of support- even from people in Bangkok and the south. That is now rapidly disappearing and the hardcore element remaining in the protest are the dangerous ones,a reduced numbers of protesters but now a powder keg.

This should, and could have been resolved weeks ago, now all factions are equally to blame for a highly volatile situation that is threatening to go countrywide.

A very sad time for the Land of No More Smiles that requires positive leadership and cool heads from all sides not the current rhetoric that is generally inflammatory. :)

Why isn't the Thai Baht falling..... surely the govt can't support their currency indefinitely......

Yearning for the good old days of 70 baht to the pound....

You probably want to speak to the pollies back in ole blighty for the MAIN part of the answer to that.

You have been reading too much propaganda. The word terrorists is being used to justify action from the incredibly inept government that may result in more death and injury.

The reds had held many cards until recently and had made their point and should have packed up a couple of weeks ago at least and started preparing for elections for which they had a huge amount of support- even from people in Bangkok and the south. That is now rapidly disappearing and the hardcore element remaining in the protest are the dangerous ones,a reduced numbers of protesters but now a powder keg.

This should, and could have been resolved weeks ago, now all factions are equally to blame for a highly volatile situation that is threatening to go countrywide.

A very sad time for the Land of No More Smiles that requires positive leadership and cool heads from all sides not the current rhetoric that is generally inflammatory. :)

What is their point?

- help the poor. How have they done that so far? How are they going to do that in the future?

- democracy. They are showing what they think of democracy by forcing an elected government into elections.

- corruption. The corruption in the villages is what is keeping the poor down. And there leader ... corrupt while PM.

- elite. Change one elite with a different elite.

- elections. So they can get caught buying votes again. And then get a minority of votes again. And try and form a coalition with parties that are not supporting them now.

Did I miss anything?

What is their point?

- help the poor. How have they done that so far? How are they going to do that in the future?

- democracy. They are showing what they think of democracy by forcing an elected government into elections.

- corruption. The corruption in the villages is what is keeping the poor down. And there leader ... corrupt while PM.

- elections. So they can get caught buying votes again. And then get a minority of votes again. And try and form a coalition with parties that are not supporting them now.

Did I miss anything?

Quite a lot actually . Does'nt matter , does it

it is the duty of all Governments of the world to inform and advise on travel to countries that they think is volitile. But Thailand is a very big country, whilst Bangkok is only a small dot on the map. Why punish the rest of Thailand just because of a very small minority of stupid people. N Ireland suffered 35-40 years of uneccessary atrosities in the hands of a minority group with the use of violence. but the ordinary people continued with daily life.Can the Thai government not learn from N Ireland?

I think that gov'ts are being cautious, but let's remember, there have been problems in other provinces as well. There are the southern provinces, of course. CM has certainly had a few problems and recently the taking of a military train in khon Kaen are examples.

Since most international flights land in BKK and also leave BKK, any problems here are likely to have far reaching consequences.

I think that gov'ts are being cautious, but let's remember, there have been problems in other provinces as well. There are the southern provinces, of course. CM has certainly had a few problems and recently the taking of a military train in khon Kaen are examples.

add to that samui and the islands being a death zone on the roads with accidents at a shocking level and phuket at the mercy of crazed taxi drivers...is there anywhere else for the tourists to go??? :)

Hitting that particular BTS station was hitting a bit too close to home. I use it often as Im sure most of you who reside in Bangkok do as well. Somebody needs to get a hold on this because it's the violence that will keep people away and destroy the livelihoods of Thai people who rely on tourism and even those who don't. Someone has got to start thinking about the good of the country and not their own greed which seems to be the case no matter what color shirt they wear. These people are not on the verge of democracy but anarchy and destruction of the Kingdom.

it is the duty of all Governments of the world to inform and advise on travel to countries that they think is volitile. But Thailand is a very big country, whilst Bangkok is only a small dot on the map. Why punish the rest of Thailand just because of a very small minority of stupid people. N Ireland suffered 35-40 years of uneccessary atrosities in the hands of a minority group with the use of violence. but the ordinary people continued with daily life.Can the Thai government not learn from N Ireland?

With the exception of Mark. The Thai Government has probably never heard of N Ireland.

Cheers, Rick

You are advocating sending to jail all those who receive SMS via the phone? The jails would never hold that many Thai people. And what have they done to deserve jail?

Far too many people on TV shoving their opinions down others throats and bickering like children or even classroom bullies with their demands for this and that. From people who have no control whatsoever regards the current situation.

I am glad I can sit back and be neutral about the whole situation.

No but supported by enough to win an election, as has been proven time and again!

No but supported by enough to win an election, as has been proven time and again!

With embassies from 40 countries issuing warnings against Thailand it must be pretty much on a par with Afganistan by now.

Cheers, Rick

What is their point?

Did I miss anything?

It does matter.

If people don't know what the point of all these demostrations are, then why are they there?

What is their point?

Did I miss anything?

It does matter.

If people don't know what the point of all these demostrations are, then why are they there?

Mislead, manipulated, abused, and PAID!

Calling them terrorists would amount to tyranny. The same type of tyranny Bush and company used in the US to create a war of aggression and get foreign support.

From my understanding of SE Asia, they've had enough tyrants to last them for a while. I doubt that such a move would sit well with the Thai people.

They are what they are--5,000 or so in a city of 15,000,000--the world knows this. What you have is civil unrest that creates a traffic jam. It'll pass.