Why Is Airasia Canceling Phuket - Hcmc - Phuket?

NamKangMan

Anyone know why Airasia is caneceling this route. I have taken this flight 3 times and the flight was near full everytime. It's great for visa runners, like me, and HCMC is a bit like Bangkok. A fun place. There is a Thai Embassy in HCMC.

Several times I have been on Airasia flights with a lot less people onboard, regularly, and these routes still exist. I would have thought this route would have been profitable for them.

Does anyone know if the Bangkok - HCMC - Bangkok route will still be active? I have tried to ring their office, but, after being on hold for several minutes, I hung up.

I believe Thai Nationals don't need a visa to go to Vietnam (don't quote me on this - info comes from a bar girl) - if this is the case, this route would also be good for "coupled up" expats in Phuket for an easy look at Vietnam.

Anyway, I would have supported this route, regularly. There may be an explaination, like, Vietnam "locked Airasia out" or some other similar reason, but, if Airasia are canceling, I am quite surprised.

Same reason Tiger stopped UTH SIN PER. They opened up Australian markets and decided to use their aircraft on more profitable routes! In other words <deleted>#k You! They don't give a shlt, it's all to do with the almighty dollar!

Same reason Tiger stopped UTH SIN PER. They opened up Australian markets and decided to use their aircraft on more profitable routes! In other words <deleted>#k You! They don't give a shlt, it's all to do with the almighty dollar!

I never thought of that mate. A full plane is a full plane, but, if the passengers are paying Thai Baht versus Australian or Singaporean Dollars - big difference.

Airasia are always buying planes. I hope they, eventually, get a plane for this route.

Air Asia has just signed a joint venture deal to operate in Vietnam, both domestically and internationallly. I think you will find that the deal involved Air Asia Vietnam taking over the routes handled to Vietnam by Thai Air Asia. Expect to see the route reinstated in due course.

I also have used this flight many times since they started back in November 2009 - about 8 times. And so has my wife who is Vietnamese. It was nice quick trip back "home" for the weekend. Now, having to go through BKK I doubt we will travel that much to Saigon.

Our only hope is that Air Asia will reinstate the route in the upcoming high season in October.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Why do you think it is canceled? I bought a ticket for mid July and recently got an SMS from Air Asia to contact their customer service. I did so today and they wanted to tell me that flight times for both directions had changed but only 15 or 20 minutes. They confirmed this by email so a flight in mid July does not seem like a canceled service.

The problem seems to be they sell tickets ridiculously cheap when you book early.

We traveled to Bangkok last year and return flights for 2 people was under 6000 baht.

Made a late booking for family member to come back to Phuket with us and his return

ticket was 7000 baht .

They seem to rely on selling high priced tickets close to departure date to make a profit,

if they don't sell the higher priced tickets i don't see how a flight can be profitable so that's maybe why they stop flying the routes.

A recent check of the Airasia website reveals you are still able to book this route up until December 2010 (just a random date I picked).

When I posted, a check of their website revealed you could only book this flight up until May. I then spoke with a travel agent who confirmed the route was going to be cancelled shortly.

It may be possible this route has been reinstated. I hope so.

A recent check of the Airasia website reveals you are still able to book this route up until December 2010 (just a random date I picked).

When I posted, a check of their website revealed you could only book this flight up until May. I then spoke with a travel agent who confirmed the route was going to be cancelled shortly.

It may be possible this route has been reinstated. I hope so.

Not yet. At the moment you can only book until 15th May, then nothing.

Not yet. At the moment you can only book until 15th May, then nothing.

You are right mate. I'm not sure what's going on with that route and their website. I checked the other day and it could be booked, but, after reading your post, I checked again and you are right. It can only be booked to May.

I really hope they put this flight back on.

So, you expect airlines to be run as a charity, rather than a business?

So, you expect airlines to be run as a charity, rather than a business?

I think what he was getting at was that the route was not failing to attract customers - the flights were either near full, or full, everytime, BUT, instead of leasing/buying another plane for the other route - they used this plane and cancelled the Phuket - HCMC route purely because the Australian Dollar has more value than the Thai Baht and/or the Vietnamese Dong. As we are living in Thailand, we have no choice but to pay, over the internet, for the ticket in Thai Baht, so, in a way, we are being penalised because of our location and the currency we pay for a ticket from that location.

A full plane, no matter what currency is paid for the ticket, should still be profitable, otherwise it would cease to exist. I hope they get another plane for this route, or cancel a unprofitable route and redirect that plane to Phuket - HCMC - Phuket.

I think what he was getting at was that the route was not failing to attract customers - the flights were either near full, or full, everytime, BUT, instead of leasing/buying another plane for the other route - they used this plane and cancelled the Phuket - HCMC route purely because the Australian Dollar has more value than the Thai Baht and/or the Vietnamese Dong. As we are living in Thailand, we have no choice but to pay, over the internet, for the ticket in Thai Baht, so, in a way, we are being penalised because of our location and the currency we pay for a ticket from that location.

A full plane, no matter what currency is paid for the ticket, should still be profitable, otherwise it would cease to exist. I hope they get another plane for this route, or cancel a unprofitable route and redirect that plane to Phuket - HCMC - Phuket.

if it were that simple, aa would have leased another plane for that new route.

As I said I flew it last month... perhaps 1/4 full on outbound.. Maybe 1/3rd full on return.. Entire empty rows all over the plane.. We all remarked that a route like that would not last when we only paid 299 baht for the tickets !!

Also your theory on THB being 'weaker' than AUD is odd.. If it was simply 'weak currency' they could just put the baht price up ?? Its not the weakness of the baht, its the lack of ticket sales even at crazy cheap prices. The ticket prices are dynamically adjustable as tickets sell so they have obviously felt that the route was not performing economically and have used the plane for a route they feel will do better. Thats business, and its that tight margin business that enables us to get air tickets for a few hundred baht.

I too wish they could keep the route.. But they are not going to fly empty planes around just because I want them too..

As I said I flew it last month... perhaps 1/4 full on outbound.. Maybe 1/3rd full on return.. Entire empty rows all over the plane.. We all remarked that a route like that would not last when we only paid 299 baht for the tickets !!

Also your theory on THB being 'weaker' than AUD is odd.. If it was simply 'weak currency' they could just put the baht price up ?? Its not the weakness of the baht, its the lack of ticket sales even at crazy cheap prices. The ticket prices are dynamically adjustable as tickets sell so they have obviously felt that the route was not performing economically and have used the plane for a route they feel will do better. Thats business, and its that tight margin business that enables us to get air tickets for a few hundred baht.

I too wish they could keep the route.. But they are not going to fly empty planes around just because I want them too..

Mate, I flew this as recent as the 24th April. I flew from HCMC to Phuket. I watch as people got off the plane in HCMC - it was near full. Then, I boarded, and despite the plane landing late at night in Phuket, it was also near full. I paid more for my ticket than you did, and I gather everyone else onboard paid around the same. So, I formed an opinion that the route was being supported by customers.

My comment on the currency difference was in reply to a previous post, which seemed to make sense.

Anyway, I hope one of the budget airlines picks up this route.

Amazingly we were on the same plane :) !! Same day.. Same route..

I was going to go to Long Tan for ANZAC Day but came back to Phuket for ANZAC Day and was surprised at the lack of ceremony here.

This was the subject of another post.

I estimated that flight at more that 3/4 full and I watched as the people disembarked up the "ramp." There were a lot flying in.

As I have said before, I have been on flights with a lot less people, consistantly, and that route remains. A shame they didn't stick with this one.

QUOTE (LivinLOS @ 2010-05-10 18:55:52) post_snapback.gifAmazingly we were on the same plane :D !! Same day.. Same route..

:D same day same plane same route WTH? you cannot have afull plane thats near empty :D:D

somone is in need of op[tical treatment or more :) come on guys who was really on the plane?

Mon 24th was my return flight.. He must have seen both myself and my brother move around after take off to get entire rows each.. A whole bunch of blondes moved to the back of the plane to also get rows each..

Now the return did have more people than the outbound for me as I said.. But I doubt it was more then 1/3rd seats full.. Loads of entire rows empty, including the exit row ones (my buddy went to take them but the stewardess moved him) and the 'pay extra' rows in the front.

I was just behind the exit doors midway up the plane. I was sitting near a bunch of Indian guys who wear really loud and giving the stewards a hard time. I never said the plane was full, but it was no where near empty. There were vacant seats, but a lot more passengers on seats than were vacant. Admitedly, I did not pay much attention to the rear of the plane, but, in my opinion, there were enough passengers onboard to enable the route to keep flying.

I have been on many Airasia flights with a lot less passengers, consistantly, and they continue with these routes (high/low season irrelevant).

Edited by NamKangMan

Realized I made a mistake.. I flew 26th... Sorry..

I knew it was a monday, looked at the PC calender and saw 24th was monday but thats this month not April..

Wondered as I didnt remember any loud indians on the flight.. Apologies but same impressions remain.

Realized I made a mistake.. I flew 26th... Sorry..

I knew it was a monday, looked at the PC calender and saw 24th was monday but thats this month not April..

Wondered as I didnt remember any loud indians on the flight.. Apologies but same impressions remain.

No problems. There was no need for me to check when my flight was. It was the night before ANZAC Day. I searched the internet for a dawn service in Phuket, but there was none. As the plane lands at Phuket around 11:30pm, I was just going to stay up all night and go to a dawn service. Instead, I checked in, went to bed and went the the large Australian theme bar on Bangla Road for ANZAC Day.

There were definately some vacant seats on my flight, but, in my estimate, it definately 3/4 full if not more.

As I waited to board my flight, I saw the amount of passengers disembarking and there was a steady stream of people, for quite while, walking up the ramp. I never counted them, but, there were a lot of people.

I have used the word "packed" to describe the times I have used this flight. I have never said the flight was full with not one vacant seat. I "packed" has been misleading to some, I apologise.

In any case, there were a lot more people on my flights to, and from, HCMC then have been on other regular Airasia flights.

I thought about having ANZAC Day at Long Tan - but thought I would be in no shape to fly the day after (26th) due to a hang over. Possibly why this flight may not have had many Aussies on it. :)

I stand by my estimates of the number of passengers on my flight/s.

what happens if you paid well in advance for a flight scheduled in late August time? do they just refund you the money or try to re-route you via BKK at no extra expense? I have a hotel booked in Phuket and it would be a shame to change my plans. Im flying SGN-HKT-SGN.