Sunday Lunch Specials

millwall_fan

you've got a bee in your bonnet 'originalposter'!! If you have a view on Sunday Lunches lets hear it. I don't think the mods would pull that. To my knowledge they only pulled a couple of off topic points. Why don't you share with Chiang Mai TV members your considered views on Sunday Lunch in this fine city. Have you tried ours at The Olde Bell or sunday Lunch at The Pub, or somewhere else. do let us hear of your experiences.

hmm... this post doesn't make sense now that Originalposters 2nd and more vitriolic missive has bee pulled.

i wrote a very positive comment about the roast lamb at the pub, non-offensive, it was taken off by the mods, maybe i should have started my post as 'i havn't tried sunday lunch at the olde bell yet , but i did.........i had no motive for writing this apart from telling people how good the lamb was on a 'sunday lunch specials' post.i guess i must have been off topic ! ! :)

Why don't you start a thread called Sunday Lunches rather that add your post to a thread about Sunday lunch specials at a forum sponsor's pub. I'm scratching my head because I would have thought this would be very obvious... unless you are trolling

Good idea. So long as it doesnt turn into a self-promotion thread :D

As for this thread, lets stay on topic.

Why not even post a review if you go along for the Sunday Lunch Special?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please try to differentiate between my (paid for) promotion of my pub and the moderation of threads - over which I have no control and am not consulted on. For the record, I have no problem with anyone discussing other establishments that do Sunday Lunch. The Pub do a fine one and have done for years, but i am not a moderator so don't blame me for what they see fit to leave and what they remove.

I'm not sure how informing TV members about our Sunday Lunches is Spam? Kindly present your evidence that I have shouted down anyone's comments about other options at other restaurants. I have no problem with anyone mentioning other options - but I can understand the mods pulling posts that discuss sushi on a Sunday Lunch thread!

I'm not sure how informing TV members about our Sunday Lunches is Spam? Kindly present your evidence that I have shouted down anyone's comments about other options at other restaurants. I have no problem with anyone mentioning other options - but I can understand the mods pulling posts that discuss sushi on a Sunday Lunch thread!

It's a thread dedicated to the the business of the person who started the thread. That definitely makes it a commercial thread, whether or not the original post meets the definition of spam. It seems like it would have been more appropriately placed as a classified add rather than as a discussion thread.

Edited by OriginalPoster

No dog in this fight. But another option may be put your phone number on your advert and people can call for a menu on a certain day, (Maybe you already have the number displayed) if they have any interest. The Sunday lunch menu does seem quite regular as a new topic and probably fits the definition of self promotion. If I was a business man, and something about my business seemed to bother customers or potential customers, I would make every attempt to put what I could control, to rest and out of the picture. Sorry if this is considered off topic but not sure what the topic is at this time.

It's a thread dedicated to the the business of the person who started the thread. That definitely makes it a commercial thread, whether or not the original post meets the definition of spam. It seems like it would have been more appropriately placed as a classified add rather than as a discussion thread.

OP is a sponsor and as such entitled to the occasional thread. Get over it.

More posts deleted. Any further complaints about moderation or a sponsor will get this topic closed and warnings or suspensions issued. Use the report function or support[at]thaivisa.com if you have issues.

This thread does bring out one obvious point...... some people just like to have something to bitch about.... If they don't have anything at the moment, they will go out to find something.

Many of us , when we were younger, were repeatedly told, ' if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'

Sometimes that is hard to follow, and I know I am guilty , many more times than should be.

But one nasty or negative comment tends to draw a retort, then the wait to see if someone responds, then an angrier comment, and so on....

Simple matter..... If you don't like a thread, don't follow it... go on to something else that is of interest. that is a good recipe, but I know, it is very difficult to follow.

Gang , it is possible to have a different opinion than others, but it is not necessary to get down and dirty , responding to others opinions.

Having said that I will now move on to see who/what I can bitch about....and see if I can go a week without having a thread closed or my wrists slapped....

good Luck

Gonzo

<snip>

Gang , it is possible to have a different opinion than others, but it is not necessary to get down and dirty , responding to others opinions.

<snip>

Gonzo

Hear, hear.

I don't know the general age of posters here. I do know that my teenagers are always testing boundaries.

Thakkar; Have the same problem with 2 teenagers, plus their mother. So I have started thinking about people's mental age instead of the physical side and things seem much more clear when I read and/or hear some of the posts, replies.

Shouldn't this thread be in the "CM News & Events" forum?  That's the forum the OP sponsors, & this thread is more of an announcement.  

Feel free to email sales (at) thaivisa.com for a clearer understanding of sponsors roles, and what they are and are not allowed. In the meantime, you can accept the fact that because this thread is allowed to run it does not breach forum rules.

Now, shall we drop this and move on?

I suppose the negatiove reposts are a result of the lack of interesting new threads for some of your guys to trash! This is a forum. On this forum I have informed residents and other interested parties about Sunday Lunch in my Pub. I have paid for the privelige of doing that. Why is that such a problem to some of you? I will be letting the members of this forum know about other events in the forthcoming days and weeks because I am in the process of renewing my sponsorship. I am perfectly happy to discuss alternatives to my pubs humble offerings on the threads I start, as long as they are on topic. There are lots of offerings for Sunday Lunch in Chiang Mai. I merely present my place as a possiblity - a choice. Some of you will like my pub and what it offers and some of you won't. By why you have to subject my pub to your venomous invective I really don't know.

I have a business to run and these are difficult times. There are few tourists here. so I mount promotions and so forth in an attempt to entice you, the resident, public in Chiang Mai to come and part with your hard earned cash in my establishment. This month we're offering a free meal from a list of 14 choices if you spend 240 baht on drinks every Monday and Thursday night (I chose 240 baht because its just under a fiver even at todays lousy rates) I don't make much profit on that but at least my gaff has got people in it while many are empty. i am trying my best, and most of my customers are happy wiht what we set out to achieve. we don't get it right all the time, but we try. End of pious input. Shoot me down guys!!!!

Edited by millwall_fan

I suppose the negatiove reposts are a result of the lack of interesting new threads for some of your guys to trash! This is a forum. On this forum I have informed residents and other interested parties about Sunday Lunch in my Pub. I have paid for the privelige of doing that. Why is that such a problem to some of you? I will be letting the members of this forum know about other events in the forthcoming days and weeks because I am in the process of renewing my sponsorship. I am perfectly happy to discuss alternatives to my pubs humble offerings on the threads I start, as long as they are on topic. There are lots of offerings for Sunday Lunch in Chiang Mai. I merely present my place as a possiblity - a choice. Some of you will like my pub and what it offers and some of you won't. By why you have to subject my pub to your venomous invective I really don't know.

I have a business to run and these are difficult times. There are few tourists here. so I mount promotions and so forth in an attempt to entice you, the resident, public in Chiang Mai to come and part with your hard earned cash in my establishment. This month we're offering a free meal from a list of 14 choices if you spend 240 baht on drinks every Monday and Thursday night (I chose 240 baht because its just under a fiver even at todays lousy rates) I don't make much profit on that but at least my gaff has got people in it while many are empty. i am trying my best, and most of my customers are happy wiht what we set out to achieve. we don't get it right all the time, but we try. End of pious input. Shoot me down guys!!!!

Having been self-employed in the past, my hat is off to anyone who weathers the storm and succeeds - especially in today's economy. Best of luck to you.

Was writing this morning the same question about bringing a dog along that I asked Gonzo/Pun Pun, but then customers came in.

So: can I bring along a non-aggressive or too boisterous dog on the lead that doesn't have horrible hair loss while having dinner? You do have a small area with tables outside, right?

We have no problem with well controlled and well behaved dogs. My wife and son love dogs and so do most of the staff!

We've got an outside area and I'm sure the local dogs will be interested to meet a new friend!!!

I find that typically restaurants don't have issues with dogs provided he/she stays outside. More often than not some water or something else was served to the dog as well! :) But can't bring a dog inside though of course, also at home the dog isn't supposed to be indoors.

Having been self-employed in the past, my hat is off to anyone who weathers the storm and succeeds - especially in today's economy. Best of luck to you.

I agree, nothing wrong with what MF is doing :)

We have no problem with well controlled and well behaved dogs. My wife and son love dogs and so do most of the staff!

We've got an outside area and I'm sure the local dogs will be interested to meet a new friend!!!

Thanks MF. Naturally, I won't bring a totally out of control dog, but most dogs that come with me are in training, so not 100% super-trained yet.

How old is your son?

@ WinnieTheKhwai: that's my experience as well. Most restaurant owners and staff are all over the dog and always will bring a bowl of water. :)

Thanks MF. Naturally, I won't bring a totally out of control dog, but most dogs that come with me are in training, so not 100% super-trained yet.

How old is your son?

@ WinnieTheKhwai: that's my experience as well. Most restaurant owners and staff are all over the dog and always will bring a bowl of water. :D

great news !!

Ive got a Baby Elephant :) ..How big is the Bowl? :D

How old is your son?

@ WinnieTheKhwai: that's my experience as well. Most restaurant owners and staff are all over the dog and always will bring a bowl of water. :D

great news !!

they only have Singer & dont serve Chang. :D

Edited by Donnyboy

How old is your son?

great news !!

they only have Singer & dont serve Chang. :D

Had me in Stitches :D

That was classic :D

Ive just had Sunday lunch at the olde bell for the first time even though ive lived in chiang mai for 6 years, it was a nice dinner, myself and friend had pork, the wife had beef and my daughter had Thai food, all four of us enjoyed the food. Has a Yorkshireman I can say that the puddings were ok but not as good as my mam makes :) . Thanks also for the free glass of wine even though the waitress said it wasn't on offer anymore, she asked someone and it appeared a few minutes later. I'll definatley be back. Cheers.

Edited by thaimiller

Ive just had Sunday lunch at the olde bell for the first time even though ive lived in chiang mai for 6 years, it was a nice dinner, myself and friend had pork, the wife had beef and my daughter had Thai food, all four of us enjoyed the food. Has a Yorkshireman I can say that the puddings were ok but not as good as my mam makes :) . Thanks also for the free glass of wine even though the waitress said it wasn't on offer anymore, she asked someone and it appeared a few minutes later. I'll definatley be back. Cheers.

With all the TV members that are having Sunday lunch there, it seems strange that the waitress wouldn't know the deal for the entire month of May.

Maybe it's not advertised openly, only TV members know about it and only those who know, ask and get?

With all the TV members that are having Sunday lunch there, it seems strange that the waitress wouldn't know the deal for the entire month of May.

Maybe it's not advertised openly, only TV members know about it and only those who know, ask and get?

That is correct sir! The offer is only advertised to TV members and Olde Bell Gold Card Holders, it's not for the general public! That said, the waitress did know about it, but it can be very difficult to persaude the locals that you are giving something away! So she phoned me first - just to confirm- which I did. No harm in that!

Ive just had Sunday lunch at the olde bell for the first time even though ive lived in chiang mai for 6 years, it was a nice dinner, myself and friend had pork, the wife had beef and my daughter had Thai food, all four of us enjoyed the food. Has a Yorkshireman I can say that the puddings were ok but not as good as my mam makes :D . Thanks also for the free glass of wine even though the waitress said it wasn't on offer anymore, she asked someone and it appeared a few minutes later. I'll definatley be back. Cheers.

That is correct sir! The offer is only advertised to TV members and Olde Bell Gold Card Holders, it's not for the general public! That said, the waitress did know about it, but it can be very difficult to persaude the locals that you are giving something away! So she phoned me first - just to confirm- which I did. No harm in that!

Clarified, thanks MF.

Don't forget to ask folks. :)

I did ask earlier but no response, is this a non smoking pub?

Tried a couple of pubs in CM before for Sunday lunch, actually did not even enter past the threshold of either as the smoke hit us as soon as the doors opened. Eight of us in one instance-ended up at the Holiday Inn which is now an "irregular" haunt!