What's Your Favorite Coffee?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't say to restrict to what's available in Thailand, so for me it's a very large cup of strong Major Dickason's blend Peet's French press brewed coffee. Black.

post-37101-1272869739.jpg

First..........I have never had a good cup of coffee in Thailand :):D

Second.......the best coffee is what I got back in the USA: dark beans (any kind), freshly ground, and made in a coffee maker (no fancy machine......no whipping cream, etc) w/ coffee mate added and a bit of sugar.

I like strong coffee....with a great smell.

Having said that, virtually any roadside diner in the USA serves better coffee than you can get in Thailand :D :D

Someone before had mentioned COFFEE MATE in your coffee...... let me see... that is a Nondairy product. Ever wonder just what it is ??

Why is it called what it is NOT. I strongly suspect it is just a lot of Chemicals post-32989-1272874095.gif

freshly ground Dao Coffee beans from Laos (red bag, strong), brewed in a Bialetti on the stove, along with 2% milk microwaved til it's slightly hot, then whipped with a hand wish til it foams, along with a scrape or two of cinnamon. This is not a working man's coffee........but when you're retired, you get to enjoy stuff like this. Deelicious!

You didn't say to restrict to what's available in Thailand, so for me it's a very large cup of strong Major Dickason's blend Peet's French press brewed coffee. Black.

Yep Jing. Peet's is the best. He brought the dark bean roasting process back to the U.S. from Europe and opened his coffee house in Berkeley. The founders of Starbucks worked in the shop, and, when they moved to Seattle, were supplied by Peet's for the first two years of operation. Starbucks then mass-produced the roasting process, which is why their beans are bitter, from being burnt. Peet died three years ago, but they have a good number of stores, mostly in the Bay Area.

In Thailand, I like Aroma and Bon Cafe whole bean but it's nothing like Peet's.

ideally any full expresso roast will do, the beans glistening wid de oil...grind an' pop into yer cheap expresso coffee maker and OK...I used already ground Lavazza expresso for this purpose in Bahrain fer a couple of years and not bad...

Peets in the East Bay was the best but I dislike snobs of any stripe so I avoided the place...useta get good beans from the old Berkeley Co-op when I lived there...

here in Hanoi I get instant CaffeViet (in the black sachets)...interesting flavor and quite nice; the Berkeley coffee snobs would never approve, however...

did you know that Peets in North Berkeley became known as a pick up place for local yuppies? sleek young professionals ogling each other over their designer coffee...I left soon after in the mid 80s...the place had gone to the dogs...

"Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee 100% Pure Thai Arabica Coffee Hand picked and Hand roasted Hill tribe Coffee"

Not a bad brew and it benefits the Hill Tribes. Through an espresso machine, it is quite tasty, strong but not bitter....

I have bought good Hill tribe beans in Chiang Mai but here in Pattaya I only see preground Hill tribe beans and I only buy whole beans.

Personally, I prefer a medium-roast arabica, made in a coffee press, steeped for 4-minutes.

I measure a heaping chinese spoonful into the press - full-max heaping; as much as will stay on the spoon.

After adding the hot water and initial stirring, the grinds are left to float on the surface so as to form a "crust".

This keeps the coffee below from oxidizing while it steeps.

After 4-min, I press the coffee, pour it into a cup. and drink it straight; no sugar, no milk/cream.

No need for these when the coffee is of adequate quality.

I do enjoy the high-end Thai beans - some are quite excellent: such as Doi Kham or Doi Pui.

Recently I discovered a most excellent coffee from Chumphon: Lom Haun, 100% arabica, medium roast.

Perfectly roasted. Very aromatic. The best Thai coffee I've tried thus far.

"Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee 100% Pure Thai Arabica Coffee Hand picked and Hand roasted Hill tribe Coffee"

Not a bad brew and it benefits the Hill Tribes. Through an espresso machine, it is quite tasty, strong but not bitter....

I have bought good Hill tribe beans in Chiang Mai but here in Pattaya I only see preground Hill tribe beans and I only buy whole beans.

Pattaya:

go to FN Factory Outlet (Fly Now Outlet) and get yourself some Doi Kham whole beans.

Its located on the highway out of town, towards Bangkok, left side of the road.

They should have available light, medium, and dark (espresso) roast.

Very good and reasonably priced.

Here in Bali Kopi Luwak is easy to find although expensive (around 100/125.000 Idr for 100 gr) (350/400 baht) an personally I don't find it so special.

Give me a creamy espresso cup, 1 finger deep, with 5 mm of cream, your choice between Lavazza, Illy, Segafredo, with a dash of full cream fresh milk and little bit of sugar.

I'll miss forever the wonderful taste of a Camel after a good espresso (I stop smoking the last December).

I was up near Chiang Rai for a few days. My friend and his wife had never been up to Doi Tung so we went up there. I found Doi Tung coffee beans. Quite pricey at 230 baht for a 200 gram bag. I bought a bag of Classic and a bag of Espresso. I found the Classic was quite weak and mixed the Espresso together with the Classic. It's not a bad cup of coffee but overrated for the price.

The bag description is;

Single origin, shade grown Arabica coffee.

douwe egberts , i buy them in ready made up 3 in 1 sachets , lovely taste and beats any other coffee ive ever tried cant get then here in uk though but can buy them anywhere in isaan and thailand in general .

I was up near Chiang Rai for a few days. My friend and his wife had never been up to Doi Tung so we went up there. I found Doi Tung coffee beans. Quite pricey at 230 baht for a 200 gram bag. I bought a bag of Classic and a bag of Espresso. I found the Classic was quite weak and mixed the Espresso together with the Classic. It's not a bad cup of coffee but overrated for the price.

The bag description is;

Single origin, shade grown Arabica coffee.

I used to live in CM, and bought Doi Tung as well on occasion.

I thought the quality is usually good, but not stable.

You might have got a bad batch, unless things have gone downhill since my experience...

Doi Kham is quite stable in quality - it is a Royal Project brand.

Got some really interesting coffee, roasted by the grower, near the roadside on the way to Pai.

"Got some really interesting coffee, roasted by the grower, near the roadside on the way to Pai."

It's probably HighlandKoffee (highlandkoffee.com). I bought two kilos of his freshly roasted arabica beans. Wonderful stuff. I've tried to contact him to get more, but no luck. Nice guy.....gave my daughter and I a cup of expresso made with some rare blend of Sumatra beans.

Oh God! can you smell fresh coffee coming out of the post << addicted hallucinating!

many great kinds are here, wonderful coffee party =)

I've heard a lot about Peet's, have to try it!

someone told me once that Coffeemate is made of coconut oil, I don't know how right is that!

I like coffee and happy you shared me your experiences and favorites =)

keep posting plz , ..