New Car Choices

I now have a Yarris, which is nice to get around in but lacks creature comforts. I have been driving my motorcycle so this didn't matter but I am driving the bike less as the roads are getting more dangerous. Recently dropped it trying to avoid a pack of dogs running into the street and its got me thinking about safety more. I got slightly banged up but luckily its a big bike and I was going slow, but my knee is still hurting a month later.

I would like to buy a new car and have several choices and would appreciate some help with people that brought any of these cars

Honda

Civic - seems nice but a bit small or Accord - much nicer but not near as nice sitting in it as the Camry and its more expensive than the camery

Toyota

Attlis nice car but doesn't feel like a lot of room, my yarris feels more spacious

Camry of the 4 choices this is by far the best, spacious, luxurious, although i am worried its a bit on the larger size for parking in Pattaya. This goes for 1,269,000 for the 2.0G leather and they will do a trade in for my Yarris. Is the 2.0 engine or the 2.4 the way to go. There is a 180K difference in price.

I read where they will not come down in price but will give free options, what should I be asking for

Please give your recommendations etc as I am in the decision mode. price is not the main object

thanks for any help

Toyota, delivery in about a month

Honda, delivery in 2 to 3 months

I take it that if you have to wait two or three months then it is coming directly from the factory and you can order the trim and the colour that you want?

I am personally considering a new Honda Civic seems like a decent car have posted a thread prior to this asking for thoughts on the car but have had no replies so far, maybe it is no good or hardly anyone on the board owns one? :)

That would be a jump from a Yaris to an Accord,lol.I like the Civic too but a few friends have bought them for their wives and they keep breaking the front valance on kerbs when parking as it is so low and 30,000 baht later,lol.

I think the Camry has a bit more room in the drivers cabin than the Accord but both nice cars.

I haven't tried the Hyundai but i think resale would be a problem and not sure the ride quality would match up.

I'm going to buy in the next few months and all things considered i'm going to stick with the Vigo which i think is great value for money.

I looked at the Fortuner but not convinced it's worth the price of a Vigo and a City.

Anyway hope your happy with whatever you choose.

If you're considering a larger car. I think Honda Accord is a good choice. But the Hyundai option is also worth considering along with the Nissam Maxima. The camry is also a good car.

The funny thing is that if you put the Accord, Camry, Hyundai and Nissan next to each other there is an uncanny resemblance.

They're all good, maybe go for the best deal.

I don't normally weigh into these types of direct comparisons, guess you caught me at a soft moment :)

If you want something comfortable and quiet, steer well clear of the Accord - it's horrifficly bad on these two pionts. Buy a City and laugh at the Accord owners queed up at the local dentist.. I have now test driven the Accord twice and still can't get over how badly they missed the mark. Don't even get me started on the stereo and aircon controls - what an abortion they are!

The Teana 2.5L V6 is far and away the best in this segment in LOS, so long as you can learn to like it's styling and can eat the (slightly) lower resale value in return for a far better driving experience. Fit, finish and finness are head and shoulders above the beloved H & T offerings.

The Camry falls somewhere inbetween, with acceptable styling, a soft (but mushy) ride, and an adequate drivetrain. OK, let's be frank - it's as boring as bat-sh!t but Thai's will pay you a mint when you're sick of it, so there's little risk involved. Be warned that the Hybrid version is horrificly bad to drive if you lean towards a heavier right foot - the drivtrain lag will 'drive' you insane unless you drive like a granny.

As for the Sonata, the current model is all-round mediocre, as accurately reflected by it's price and market share. Bear in mind that there's an all-new model due later this year in Thailand (styled like a cross between a Camry and a Hyundai Coupe) that could be a challenger in the segment based on early reports. Pricing probably won't be as aggressive as we're seeing on the current, outgoing model though.

Just my 2 Baht :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Lower resale value of a non Toyota or Honda........... Can never work that out.........

Take the top Accord and the top Sonata, buy new and you save 600,000 baht on going with the like for like equipped Sonata...

The old models look far different but take a 10 year old Accord and a 10 yr old Sonata, the difference in price is 100 - 150,000 baht. Even with prices 10 years ago the Honda lost more money..

Current Model:

post-42643-1273018490_thumb.jpg

New in Korea the 2011 model SPY SHOT 4 door saloon + Coupe

post-42643-1273018574_thumb.jpg

Edit: The Civic is a good price, but as said above like the CRV smallest of knock and the front bumper is laying on the road.

Edited by ignis

Just been to two dealers and had what I would call ridiculous service, the first one I had actually made an appointment the day before and when I got there, there wasn't even a Civic to test drive, was told to come back whilst they booked it! Then at the other dealers they had a range of Civics unlike the previous one, but one was not allowed to do any test driving as they had had people who had caused a number of accidents. Never heard of buying a new car and not being allowed to test drive it first! :)

I am of the view that the new Honda City top of the range is better than the Civic standard range, the interior looks pretty good in black and there is more variety of colour to City range. Might have to go for the E range of Civic even though it is a bit out of my budget.

I started looking at the Accord/Camry. Then changed to Civic, but to get all the freebies I wantd the sales girl wanted to add 3,000 baht on to cover all the cost of all the freebies . I couldn't get her to wave the 3,000 baht as it was a dis-incentive.

I walked away to let her think whether she wanted a quick cash sale or not.

In the end it also gave me time also to re-think my whole needs strategy and in the end I've changed my mind and finally decided on a top of the range Honda Jazz with all the extras at just over 700,000 .

So, the saving of over 300,000 (civic) to 800,000 (accord/camry) baht I am now assured of a really great extended holiday in Europe/Middle east in the first half of next year.

thanks to everybody, i did the run again and checked the cars again. The camry won hands down, so I just ordered the 2.4. It comes loaded and is really roomy and comfortable. Hope it was the right choice but as posted on this thread, the resale is really good. I am 6'1 190# and the yarris, although a nice small car, is just too small and basic to drive all the time.

thanks for replies

thanks to everybody, i did the run again and checked the cars again. The camry won hands down, so I just ordered the 2.4. It comes loaded and is really roomy and comfortable. Hope it was the right choice but as posted on this thread, the resale is really good. I am 6'1 190# and the yarris, although a nice small car, is just too small and basic to drive all the time.

thanks for replies

How long till you will get delivery

thanks for replies

I may have been a little harsh in my previous reply, but fact is, all considered, the Camry truly does make the best sense in the Thai market (I did hint at that, didn't I?). Congrats - you won't be dissapointed.

:)

delivery in 4 weeks - Thai time :)

anybody want to buy my 2004 636 Ninja Motorcycle, after 3 years I am going to sell it and get a small one. I am just getting too old. Great bike with green book. It will be a camry 90% of the time and a small motorbike 10% instead of Ninja 90% and Yarris 10%. [Yarris is already spoken for]

Edited by Lost in LOS