Thailand's Yellow-Shirts Call For PM Abhisit To Stand Down

webfact

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What could the PAD, Peoples alliance for DEMOCRACY, possibly have against calling for elections ????? -

:-D

Sure, they love democracy so much, they want elections every 6 months. :)

Part of democracy is not being forced into having elections and everyone waiting until they are actually due.

Yep!

It will never end. :D

Oh yes it will, one day the sun will become a big red giant and pull us into it's mass!

Much as one should expect Thaksin will soon nova into his own anal caviity to finally and at long last disappear :) .

Edited by Publicus

What could the PAD, Peoples alliance for DEMOCRACY, possibly have against calling for elections ????? -

Sure, they love democracy so much, they want elections every 6 months. :)

Part of democracy is not being forced into having elections and everyone waiting until they are actually due.

Yep!

PAD want the PM to step down, not elections.

What? You mean we're actually going to have an election? You could see why the Alliance for Democracy would be against that! The PAD realizes, they will lose... again. They realize that their only chance of being in power was to get Abhisit in power without a real election, and now he wants to give up power? This is an outrage! My guess is a couple weeks after the elections the yellows will be camping out in the city, and we can rinse and repeat.

I feel bad for Abhisit. He's in a tough position. The old power figures refuse to give it up, or to compromise in any way. This deal was a compromise, both sides had to give something. He's turned away the people who put him in power though by doing so. Still, kudos for trying. I get the feeling the yellows would have much rather he just plow over the Reds with tanks, ala Tiananmen Square, to put those "poor uneducated peasants" in their place. The first step for change in Thailand, will be teaching both sides the rules of compromise.

What? You mean we're actually going to have an election? You could see why the Alliance for Democracy would be against that! The PAD realizes, they will lose... again. They realize that their only chance of being in power was to get Abhisit in power without a real election, and now he wants to give up power? This is an outrage! My guess is a couple weeks after the elections the yellows will be camping out in the city, and we can rinse and repeat.

I feel bad for Abhisit. He's in a tough position. The old power figures refuse to give it up, or to compromise in any way. This deal was a compromise, both sides had to give something. He's turned away the people who put him in power though by doing so. Still, kudos for trying. I get the feeling the yellows would have much rather he just plow over the Reds with tanks, ala Tiananmen Square, to put those "poor uneducated peasants" in their place. The first step for change in Thailand, will be teaching both sides the rules of compromise.

Without a date of dissolution there is no election.

I think one could argue Abhisit is a weakish leader but I do agree he is a decent man. He doesn't seem too greedy or too proud. I have been disappointed in his leadership at times, but all evidence suggest he is sincere. Having a PM that is weak but decent is preferable to a PM that is effective but cruel.

I agree to a certain extent. He has avoided falling into the trap that Mr.T's cronies set for him, and Mr.T so desperately craves: 'brutal crackdown while the world watches'.

I don't think he is weak. I do think he is way ahead of Thai politics though, a generation ahead of the dinosaurs that abound here.

Did anyone see the "debate" between the reds and the government about a month ago? The reds looked and sounded like clowns out of their depth.

I think the Thai people should give him a chance. He could well be the best PM they've ever had. He doesn't have much competition though :)

You do realize that was one of the poorest excuses the red shirts could have came up with, right? Elections are (hopefully) on the 14th, which means dissolution is mid to end of September. Any 6th grade student could tell you that.

You do realize that was one of the poorest excuses the red shirts could have came up with, right? Elections are (hopefully) on the 14th, which means dissolution is mid to end of September. Any 6th grade student could tell you that.

So why give the "stupid" reds an excuse - all the PM needs to say is "I officially announce the dissolution of parliament on the XX of September", and then probably sign some pointless stuff.

Did you think there may be a reason why those words can't actually come out of his mouth.

BTW, Congratulations on passing 5th grade.

I remember so many claiming that Abhisit was the PAD's puppet. Those claims seem to have disappeared.

Actually the claims have not disappeared. After all, the people who make misinformed and ridiculous statements about Abhisit would never let minor things like the facts stand in their way now, would they?

I think one could argue Abhisit is a weakish leader but I do agree he is a decent man. He doesn't seem too greedy or too proud. I have been disappointed in his leadership at times, but all evidence suggest he is sincere. Having a PM that is weak but decent is preferable to a PM that is effective but cruel.

I agree to a certain extent. He has avoided falling into the trap that Mr.T's cronies set for him, and Mr.T so desperately craves: 'brutal crackdown while the world watches'.

I don't think he is weak. I do think he is way ahead of Thai politics though, a generation ahead of the dinosaurs that abound here.

Did anyone see the "debate" between the reds and the government about a month ago? The reds looked and sounded like clowns out of their depth.

I think the Thai people should give him a chance. He could well be the best PM they've ever had. He doesn't have much competition though :)

I agree. I saw him speak at the FCCT back when Thaksin was still in charge and Abhisit came across as articulate, intelligent, polite and calm, very unlike the buffoons and megalomaniacs who usually end up as PM.

The current political situation in Thailand is one of the most difficult in modern history and people need to consider this before they level flippant criticisms at Abhisit.

If a 6th grade student can tell it, why can't Abhisit? What's the reason why he can't get himself to say the date the House will be dissolved? He keeps coming up with ..you're right ...6th grade answers like "anyone can calculate it" but that's not what a serious Prime Minister should answer. Say the day you will dissolve the House and the red shirts will go home. What's so bad about saying the date? Unless there's a hidden reason behind not telling the date, obviously.

If a 6th grade student can tell it, why can't Abhisit? What's the reason why he can't get himself to say the date the House will be dissolved? He keeps coming up with ..you're right ...6th grade answers like "anyone can calculate it" but that's not what a serious Prime Minister should answer. Say the day you will dissolve the House and the red shirts will go home. What's so bad about saying the date? Unless there's a hidden reason behind not telling the date, obviously.

Because how long the house is dissolved (45 or 60) days will depend on what legislative business is before the parliament. That need not be decided now.

With a date for the election dissolution is implied

They will have elections and the yellows will not like the outcome and the yellows will be back at the airport, with the blessing of she who will not be named.

In the UK it looks like neither the Labour party or the conservatives will win a majority in their election. I guess the reds would say that their government is illegitimate and unelected if they use the same standard they've used in Thailand, they don't want to use double standards.

The real lesson - which the people will not learn in the short time.... is that democracy is rule by majority. In Thailand, even the minority has a say, because people are so corrupt and the system lends to small groups banding together to form the majority.... thus, no one is ever in power and you can't really make the "best" decisions... you have to make the most popular decisions.... Thaksin was the exception... that guy had a clear majority and strength in Parliament. He just ABUSED his power.

I think you are referring to a republic (which is a representative form of government). A Democracy is a form of government where the people vote on every issue.

Oi, vow!!! All this is making me sadder. Thailand is not ready // fit neither for a Republican or Democratic ways. Not with it's history, 'culture' and religion. Poor sods do not have a long enough process of evolutionary development in socio-economico-political sphere.

They could have studied the world experiences, but do not have the stomach for this. 77/78 mil of population is uneducated. The 'cultural' difference is so vast, you can't see the culture behind it.

Except 'wai'. And a 'smile'. And both of them mean something else.

So, sooner or later a strong guiding force (person, group, party???) will appear. They will promise to people whatever... (which they can not deliver!)... and Bingo! you have a very costly explosion, revolution, eruption, BIG CHANGE.

I hope I am wrong. I am afraid I am right. And I do not wish to see it. :)

If you go back to the start of this thread you will see that the yellows main gripe is the election date being brought forward and this dosent seem unreasonable considering that the PM- Govt along with the coalition partners represent the majority of Thai people.

Why should that majority be short changed by the intimidation of a small group of reds?

At least the PM will be able to talk to the yellow leaders and explain his point of view, something he cant do with the red leaders who have threatned his life.

Chamlong Srimuang, a core Yellow Shirts leader, said Thailand's problems would only worsen after the dissolution of the lower house, and subsequent elections.

"The prime minister has reconciled with terrorists by planning to dissolve the house, it's extremely bad for the country and the monarchy," he said.

Seems terrorizing tourists want to leave the violence/country by airport doesn't count as "terrorizing" ... hmmm, political hypocrisy is obiously not owned outright by USA politcal idiots ...

I only wish best for Thai people as a whole, I'm not sure what makes people more crazy [same-same- USA] living in abject poverty not able to feed and house family or rich/drunk with power wanting more for control of other people and keep them down where the real :):D:D think the "others" belong ... sad situation anywhere.

Elections with UN oversight may be thee avenue to free and fair elections...?

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

Ha "Abhisit" is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't :)

Ok Ok, my conclusion is that we can’t have an honest PM here, we need someone like Thaksin to as PM so everyone live in peace

this yellow mob of criminials - is totally unbelievable --- first they bring down the taksin govt with their criminal actions - http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=583 and now they want the ones they wanted in power to step down --- and fancy accusing him of siding with taksin "The group, formally known as the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), also accused Abhisit of conducting secret negotiations with representatives of the Reds' hero -- ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup.think they are on yarba =

the decisions to call for elections in nov is the only possible solution to this current crisis and now they are going to start - wonder when they will occupy govt house and the airports again >> sounds like it wont be too long -- the fun is just begininning --

What was so criminal about the Yellows that makes you look that the reds are that much better??

The real lesson - which the people will not learn in the short time.... is that democracy is rule by majority. In Thailand, even the minority has a say, because people are so corrupt and the system lends to small groups banding together to form the majority.... thus, no one is ever in power and you can't really make the "best" decisions... you have to make the most popular decisions.... Thaksin was the exception... that guy had a clear majority and strength in Parliament. He just ABUSED his power.

the guy bought his clear majority isn't the same!!

Chamlong Srimuang, a core Yellow Shirts leader, said Thailand's problems would only worsen after the dissolution of the lower house, and subsequent elections.

"The prime minister has reconciled with terrorists by planning to dissolve the house, it's extremely bad for the country and the monarchy," he said.

Seems terrorizing tourists want to leave the violence/country by airport doesn't count as "terrorizing" ... hmmm, political hypocrisy is obiously not owned outright by USA politcal idiots ...

I only wish best for Thai people as a whole, I'm not sure what makes people more crazy [same-same- USA] living in abject poverty not able to feed and house family or rich/drunk with power wanting more for control of other people and keep them down where the real :):D:D think the "others" belong ... sad situation anywhere.

Elections with UN oversight may be thee avenue to free and fair elections...?

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

There has been no asult towards foreigners on the airport by the yellow shirts, unlike the reds did/do to tourist

I have to hand it to Abhisit. He took the middle road route, which he knew full well was going to be unpopular with EVERYONE, which sure enough, it was. He's sticking to his guns though, because he thinks this is the best way for Thailand to amend its divides. I have to say, that's nothing short of commendable. Let's hope he manages to make it out in one piece.

It seems Abhisit is certaninly one of Thailand's best leaders to date. It also appears that he, personally, hasn't been involved in corruption.

Perhaps a sure sign that he trying to do the best for all parties in Thailand is the fact that BOTH Red shirts and yellow shirts are calling for him to step down.

A good man with a tough balancing act...

I think you are referring to a republic (which is a representative form of government). A Democracy is a form of government where the people vote on every issue.

Oi, vow!!! All this is making me sadder. Thailand is not ready // fit neither for a Republican or Democratic ways. Not with it's history, 'culture' and religion. Poor sods do not have a long enough process of evolutionary development in socio-economico-political sphere.

They could have studied the world experiences, but do not have the stomach for this. 77/78 mil of population is uneducated. The 'cultural' difference is so vast, you can't see the culture behind it.

Except 'wai'. And a 'smile'. And both of them mean something else.

So, sooner or later a strong guiding force (person, group, party???) will appear. They will promise to people whatever... (which they can not deliver!)... and Bingo! you have a very costly explosion, revolution, eruption, BIG CHANGE.

I hope I am wrong. I am afraid I am right. And I do not wish to see it. :)

I agree that Thailand is NOT ready for full fledged democracy... a leader a bit like Lee Kwan Yew [was] in Singpapore is needed... you know a bit autocratic, but not corrupt, if there is such a person nowadays.... with so much poverty and the LURE of money, there will always be corruption... when people have "enough" money and average GDP is high enough... then corruption can be controlled enough to have a more fair workable democratic system.

I have to hand it to Abhisit. He took the middle road route, which he knew full well was going to be unpopular with EVERYONE, which sure enough, it was. He's sticking to his guns though, because he thinks this is the best way for Thailand to amend its divides. I have to say, that's nothing short of commendable. Let's hope he manages to make it out in one piece.

It seems Abhisit is certaninly one of Thailand's best leaders to date. It also appears that he, personally, hasn't been involved in corruption.

Perhaps a sure sign that he trying to do the best for all parties in Thailand is the fact that BOTH Red shirts and yellow shirts are calling for him to step down.

A good man with a tough balancing act...

Some good points made in this set of posts... Abhisit seems to be a decent, honorable man who can speak coherently. He appears to have important values of a good leader... equally, he seems to lack some very important leadership skills such as decisiveness, courage under fire and personal conviction. But then again, as you point out there is not a lot of favorable competition!