New Scooter To Replace My Nouvo

2long

I plan to replace my Nouvo after five years of abuse. I want the Elegance 135cc, mainly because the old bike has been so good and I just LOVE the convenience of the seat opener and helmet storage. It really does make a big difference to the time I (don't) waste every day.

Does the Mio have those features? I don't care too much about the performance (I need slowing down).

Does the new Nouvo still have the stupid design of having to put it on centre stand to kick start (when mr battery is tired) and remove the exhaust and more to change a rear tyre?

As mentioned in the sub-title, I don't need opinions about who makes the best bike, just the facts.

Cheers.

Facts from my owning one and I'm 68cm tall, and 91kgs with gear.

The NE135 is a whole new bigger chassis over your older Nouvo, its a significant difference in size and comfort.

The NE135 can fit a full face helmet under the seat, the Mio has a smaller storage bin.

I don't know if the new Mios have the key seat opener but the NE135 does and it does save time over the lock in the rear.

For max time saving, get a rack and big rear storage bin; I lock my helmet, jacket, and gloves in it and keep spares under the seat.

I don't know about the center kick thing, since the battery always works after 7 months.

You may not care about speed but the extra power helps passing and getting out of dangerous lane splitting situations.

The 135cc can cruise easier and faster than a smaller cc engine so I think it saves gas for fast riding, I get 34KM/L.

Dual shocks provide plenty of suspension for my fat ass.

Decent stock brakes, haven't felt a need to upgrade.

My 2009 model had suspect tires after I dumped in a low speed crash, so I upgraded them.

The rear wheel is captured on both sides as it is a dual shock bike so yes you will have to unbolt some stuff to get the tire off.

If you're heavy the dual shocks will be appreciated far more than the infrequent tire change.

Get alloy wheels, less air pressure maintenance and blowouts, plus they'll never rust like the spokers.

If I had to buy an auto scooter again, I'd still pick the NE135 over anything else.

It has the best bang for the buck and utility for my needs.

I like the PCX but I think its fairing is wider than the NE so splitting lanes will be tougher.

Your needs may be different so search the threads, there are a few regarding the NE135.

Can anyone confirm or give an opinion on ttakata's comment about mag wheels having less chance of punctures? If that's the case, it'd be well worth the extra 2,oooB+ for a bike to kept for a few years.

I want all black, but it appears that they have gone to younger colour schemes.

Again, any comments?

Can anyone confirm or give an opinion on ttakata's comment about mag wheels having less chance of punctures? If that's the case, it'd be well worth the extra 2,oooB+ for a bike to kept for a few years.

Again, any comments?

If you live in town or ride on perfect roads then alloys are good. But they may be more difficult to fix if buckled by riding over a pot hole etc. so if the roads around your place are less than perfect maybe consider spoked. There is a reason they are offered, of course it could be to justify the 2xxx baht premium.

Again, any comments?

If you live in town or ride on perfect roads then alloys are good. But they may be more difficult to fix if buckled by riding over a pot hole etc. so if the roads around your place are less than perfect maybe consider spoked. There is a reason they are offered, of course it could be to justify the 2xxx baht premium.

Wrapping a strip of old innertube inside the wheeel before putting the good innertube back can help reduce puntures on with spoked wheels.

Think about it, if there is no innertube, the tire has to support the bike and hold all the air.

Tubeless tires should be stronger than innertube tires.

When is the last time you heard a car having innertubes, its been decades.

I've driven cars over 100,000 miles and only had 2 flat tires but I've ridden bicycles less than 1000 miles and have had over a dozen flats.

I've owned enough bicycles to realize the inner tube loses air and then shifts inside the tire and shears the valve area leading to an unfixable flat.

Yep, I'm American so of course I'm fat and heavy, and I have hit some pretty big bumps at speed with no problems.

You'd have to do something really bad like ride into a high curb at speed to warp these alloys.

All sportbikes roll on alloys, its a proven technology.

The alloys don't require tightening of spokes, which means less flex and less maintenance too.

My friend has a Click and he always had to refill the air and sheared an inner tube without even hitting anything.

He soon upgraded to alloys and no problems.

If you're debating spending 2000 baht, you should be considering a bicycle instead.

I'm just kidding, but not having to refill the air every week is worth the money alone.

When you tear an innertube, you need a spare tube, air, tire wrenches, and tools to remove the wheel from the bike.

Will you be near a bike shop when this happens?

I have yet to get a flat but I carry a small tire plug and air kit so I can be back on the road in 5 minutes instead of an hour.

Just sand the wheels with 400 grit and spray paint them black with outdoor Rustoleum, not that cheap Thai paint.

Edited by ttakata

So are you saying the mags are tubeless? (I used to have, don't laugh, a Honda Super Nice with mags and can't remember them being tubeless, but then can't remember punctures eiether. It was a while ago, though)

Looks like I'm sold, if that's the case.

They look better too, even though the designs are a bit gay. But at my age looks are a waste and being gay means happy.

Ted, I had a good laugh.

I know your size 2 month ago. With your current size - I hope you can reach the pedals. And if you continue to shrink that fast, you will resemble the shape of a sphere by now. :)

Helmut

Ooops my bad, I'm 5'8" so 68 inches tall or 172cm.

I'm still trying to get the metric system down after 36 years of the stupid English system.

Even England uses the metric system, America is stubborn & stupid regarding this.

Now pass me a 15/64 wrench.

• 1 month later...

Today I went to test drive the Honda CPX and the Yahama Nouvo Elegance 135. I my opinion, NOT EVEN CLOSE! The CPX is heavy, not very responsive, somewhat sluggish when you twist the throttle, and that seat with the "butt pad" on it is, literally, and pain in the ass if you are over 5'4" tall! Plus, it angles downward, so every time you slow down, or break, you tend to slide forward, and that pulls your pants tighter around the crotch and, for me, that is NOT a good thing! And the ride was Very Rough. The dealer let me take it out on the road, and after about 3 kilometers, I couldn't want to take it back. Pulled it back into the show rooom where my wife was waiting, got off, pulled my jeans out of my crotch and told my wife: "No Way!". Told her I'd rather have an Air Blade than the CPX.

Left there and immediately went to the Yahama dealer by Kad Suan Kaew Mall. They let me test an Elegance. Totally different. Standard seat allows me to sit back farther to accommodate my legs, much smoother ride over small bumps, much quicker response when you twist the throttle, and simply handles better in traffic.

The CPX listed for 73,500, and the best deal I could get, since I have previously bought a CBR, Air Blade and recently Scoopy R, was 72,000. Nouvo, with mag wheels, plus 2 years theft insurance, was 61,500. Even if they had been the exact same price, I would still have taken the Nouvo, hands down.

Also, Yahama DOES make a Nouvo Elegance 150cc, but it is not available in Thailand yet. They are having problems getting the government to sign the import papers, or so the rep said, and that it could be up to a year before they can finally get them in country.

I love my Nouvo Elegance. Very comfortable ride, getting close to 40 km per litre, lots of storage space. Haven't had to do a kick start yet as it's always started for me, but as I'm away for about a month, might need to coming back to it. For that, yes, you do need to have it up on the centre stand.

I got the spoked tires and have had two front flats. I'm thinking that when I take it in for its next major service, I'll see about changing over to the alloys.

The NE135 is a whole new bigger chassis over your older Nouvo, its a significant difference in size and comfort.

The NE135 can fit a full face helmet under the seat, the Mio has a smaller storage bin.

I don't know if the new Mios have the key seat opener but the NE135 does and it does save time over the lock in the rear.

For max time saving, get a rack and big rear storage bin; I lock my helmet, jacket, and gloves in it and keep spares under the seat.

I don't know about the center kick thing, since the battery always works after 7 months.

You may not care about speed but the extra power helps passing and getting out of dangerous lane splitting situations.

The 135cc can cruise easier and faster than a smaller cc engine so I think it saves gas for fast riding, I get 34KM/L.

Dual shocks provide plenty of suspension for my fat ass.

Decent stock brakes, haven't felt a need to upgrade.

My 2009 model had suspect tires after I dumped in a low speed crash, so I upgraded them.

The rear wheel is captured on both sides as it is a dual shock bike so yes you will have to unbolt some stuff to get the tire off.

If you're heavy the dual shocks will be appreciated far more than the infrequent tire change.

Get alloy wheels, less air pressure maintenance and blowouts, plus they'll never rust like the spokers.

If I had to buy an auto scooter again, I'd still pick the NE135 over anything else.

It has the best bang for the buck and utility for my needs.

I like the PCX but I think its fairing is wider than the NE so splitting lanes will be tougher.

Your needs may be different so search the threads, there are a few regarding the NE135.

Sorry for sounding rude but are you really 68cm tall? that is very small

Yes, all non-spoked wheels have tubeless tires on them.

Rock and roll, you'll like the bike.

Not correct - a lot of m/c's with alloy wheels also have inner tubes (including Clicks!).

And I am afraid that you're wrong about the bicycle tyres too, as racing bicycle tyres are "tubeless" as they are glued to the rims and they get just as many punctures as the equivalent tyres with inner tubes, if not more, even if they are filled with nitrogen. Bicycle tyres are kept as light as possible so they will always lose air quicker than thicker car/mc tyres, so if you are shearing the valves because your inner tube is moving it is because you are not runnng the tyres at a high enough pressure - most road tyres are specced for 50 to 60 PSI, and I ran my tandem tyres at 120 PSI!

Not correct - a lot of m/c's with alloy wheels also have inner tubes (including Clicks!).

And I am afraid that you're wrong about the bicycle tyres too, as racing bicycle tyres are "tubeless" as they are glued to the rims and they get just as many punctures as the equivalent tyres with inner tubes, if not more, even if they are filled with nitrogen. Bicycle tyres are kept as light as possible so they will always lose air quicker than thicker car/mc tyres, so if you are shearing the valves because your inner tube is moving it is because you are not runnng the tyres at a high enough pressure - most road tyres are specced for 50 to 60 PSI, and I ran my tandem tyres at 120 PSI!

Hey I've been wrong before, but I need proof because I don't believe you.

I've been into the auto/bike industry for 25 years and cannot recall any modern motorbike with one piece wheels running an innertube.

Can you really show me a diagram or picture of an any modern motorbike with one piece wheels with an innertube in it?

I just don't see why Honda would have a Click with more expensive one piece wheels and then still put in the cost of an unneeded innertube.

Of course being Thailand, maybe they do add an innertube for no reason, but it makes no sense to add the extra weight, cost, and heat friction from an innertube into a one piece wheel designed to use tubeless tires.

The motocross world even has some spoked rims (DID Dirtstar and Alpina) that are tubeless so they shed the weight and hassles of innertubes.

Bicycling wise I rode mountain and beach cruisers so they required much lower pressures than the high tech road stuff you assumed I was talking about.

All I know is the innertubes got flats and sheared valves and so I have a personal hatred towards innertubes.

In the motorcycle world, innertubes are old technology and are not as reliable and carefree as tubeless.

ttakata,

When I purchased my new Tiger Boxer 250RS, I had to pay extra to get tubeless, even though the machine is not offered with spokes. I seem to recall too that the Elegance - or was it the earlier MX - could be had with tubes unless you paid more.

There has been much discussion about flat tires on motorbikes and motorcycles on these pages. It is contested, but I believe that most submissions have held, for various reasons, that tubeless tires are less prone to punctures. I have a number of friends too who just cannot believe how frequently they must check tire pressure on their tubed tires - I am one (other bikes, with tubes). Tubeless, of course, are likely to lose air too when mounted on older wheels.

The virtues of spokes versus "one piece" wheels compete, but one thing is sure: Spokes can never support tubeless tires, even with those liners that some use (to prevent spokes from harming the tube).

Hey I've been wrong before, but I need proof because I don't believe you.

I've been into the auto/bike industry for 25 years and cannot recall any modern motorbike with one piece wheels running an innertube.

Can you really show me a diagram or picture of an any modern motorbike with one piece wheels with an innertube in it?

I just don't see why Honda would have a Click with more expensive one piece wheels and then still put in the cost of an unneeded innertube.

Of course being Thailand, maybe they do add an innertube for no reason, but it makes no sense to add the extra weight, cost, and heat friction from an innertube into a one piece wheel designed to use tubeless tires.

The motocross world even has some spoked rims (DID Dirtstar and Alpina) that are tubeless so they shed the weight and hassles of innertubes.

Bicycling wise I rode mountain and beach cruisers so they required much lower pressures than the high tech road stuff you assumed I was talking about.

All I know is the innertubes got flats and sheared valves and so I have a personal hatred towards innertubes.

In the motorcycle world, innertubes are old technology and are not as reliable and carefree as tubeless.

Click, airblade, PCX, Nuovo MX are all available with onepiece mags, but all come with tubed tyres. saves money.

I believe Elegance 135 is the only stepthrough with tubelss on mags. another world. not one flat on my 3 Elegances in 2 years and 4 months. just like my bigbikes.

So what is the real score on the Nouvo Elegance 135 and tubed versus tubeless tires? I finally got down to the dealership where I bought my bike and looked into replacing my spoked wheels with mag wheels. In fact they had an Elegance the exact same color as mine with mag wheels and a set of tubeless radial tires that looked good and I got a bid on what it would cost to replace my wheels and tires. I even showed the gal who waited on me my 135 c.c. Elegance. She said they definitely could put the same tires I was looking at on the mag wheels equipped Nouvo even though I have spoked wheels. I can't see any reason why not---that there would be any great advantage to getting new wheels as well--other than looks that is. But---I do not want to be making a mistake. One way or the other by tomorrow afternoon I should have tubeless tires. The only question is whether or not I'll still be riding on spoked wheels.

Jack,

I may have understood your post incorrectly. But my understanding is this:

I cannot have tubeless tires with spoked wheels. Spokes leak air, if not immediately, then after use.

That is, I can only mount tubeless tires on an alloy or "one piece" wheel.

Also, with many models, one pays extra at the time of purchase of a new bike for alloy wheels and something more yet for the tubeless tires. The tires themselves can cost more yet for "oversize" and/or manufacturer too.

Edited by CMX

Jack,

I may have understood your post incorrectly. But my understanding is this:

I cannot have tubeless tires with spoked wheels. Spokes leak air, if not immediately, then after use.

That is, I can only mount tubeless tires on an alloy or "one piece" wheel.

Also, with many models, one pays extra at the time of purchase of a new bike for alloy wheels and something more yet for the tubeless tires. The tires themselves can cost more yet for "oversize" and/or manufacturer too.

t I

I'm going to go the whole route per your suggestion. The woman at the dealership is saying....."Yes...We can mount tubeless tires on wire rims." Too many times too many Thais won't think. So what is important? That it will work, not whether or not "we can fit them on." Work meaning I will get a bit better performance, more safety and fewer flats." In any case, it might seem high to do all this but I do like my Nouvo a lot and am not likely to change bikes for a couple of years or so. It''s not like I'm springing for the cost of an aftermarket supercharger or something equally expensive on a car and I believe I'll have a bit more safety with this setup as well as not having to constantly check the tires or worry about getting a new tube now and then.

What I don't get about the NE is those pointy side panels. They look positively dangerous to me. Could cause some really serious shin damage in an accident.