Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

Hmm, will these places only show say UK/ European matches? What about Japan or S.Korea? I'm really interested in going out to watch the S.Korean matches on a nice big screen. :)

On another note... Anyone know where I can get the S.Korean jersey ( the white one. I hate the red one... looks like hot pink at times. lol )? I still havent gotten one yet in all these years. :/

Tuskers as stated by Milton Bentley

UN Irish Pub will be showing ALL games in HD, they have several TV's.

Dragonfly Bar (55" screen) might be.

You will be able to follow your favourite team somewhere. :D

Dragonfly will show all games

There you go Yunnie, problem solved - all you need now is the shirt.

Good luck. :D

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, will these places only show say UK/ European matches? What about Japan or S.Korea? I'm really interested in going out to watch the S.Korean matches on a nice big screen. :D

On another note... Anyone know where I can get the S.Korean jersey ( the white one. I hate the red one... looks like hot pink at times. lol )? I still havent gotten one yet in all these years. :/

i'm hoping to watch every match this world cup same as i did in 2006. see you in tuskers for the greece match at 6.30pm saturday then. :D

the big sportsworld shop in kad suan kaew on the first floor had both home and away south korea shirts when i was in there last week.

:)! Do you happen to know how much?

If we forget about the English Commentary part of the original post, then it would probably be easier to ask which bars aren't showing the world cup. Since it is shown on Thai Tv then I amgine every bar with a TV is showing it. Some have better facilities than others, but of the few set-ups I've seen Tuskers is the best.

I imagine most bars will show all of the 6.30pm, 9.00pm games, irrespective of who's playing, but I wonder who is showing all of the late games (1.30am local time). I know that Tuskers, and Olde Bell  are showing the late England games (and possibly a few more, espescially quarter finals onwards) with the other games being shown according to demand, but is there anywhere that definitely will show all of the late games?

Hmm, will these places only show say UK/ European matches? What about Japan or S.Korea? I'm really interested in going out to watch the S.Korean matches on a nice big screen. :D

i'm hoping to watch every match this world cup same as i did in 2006. see you in tuskers for the greece match at 6.30pm saturday then. :D

the big sportsworld shop in kad suan kaew on the first floor had both home and away south korea shirts when i was in there last week.

didn't look i'm afraid. they're nike official ones though so i would expect a couple of thousand baht or something?

Edited by StevieH

Dragonfly will show all games

If we forget about the English Commentary part of the original post, then it would probably be easier to ask which bars aren't showing the world cup. Since it is shown on Thai Tv then I amgine every bar with a TV is showing it. Some have better facilities than others, but of the few set-ups I've seen Tuskers is the best.

I imagine most bars will show all of the 6.30pm, 9.00pm games, irrespective of who's playing, but I wonder who is showing all of the late games (1.30am local time). I know that Tuskers, and Olde Bell are showing the late England games (and possibly a few more, espescially quarter finals onwards) with the other games being shown according to demand, but is there anywhere that definitely will show all of the late games?

There is your answer

And I think most other bars will as well, all of the late games features big teams.

Edited by AndersSN

i'm hoping to watch every match this world cup same as i did in 2006. see you in tuskers for the greece match at 6.30pm saturday then. :D

didn't look i'm afraid. they're nike official ones though so i would expect a couple of thousand baht or something?

I heard that there was a raid by copyright police in the night bazaar recently and about 3m Baht worth of World Cup stuff was confiscated, so cheap options may be limited. Rumour has it that the boys from BKK will be here for the remainder of the month, so probably no dodgy watches or hand-bags if you need one.

I heard that there was a raid by copyright police in the night bazaar recently and about 3m Baht worth of World Cup stuff was confiscated, so cheap options may be limited. Rumour has it that the boys from BKK will be here for the remainder of the month, so probably no dodgy watches or hand-bags if you need one.

article in CM mail regarding a raid on a sportwear store recently

i wouldnt think the BKK police would stay for 3 weeks in CM, who knows thou

Edited by Donnyboy

At last the day has finally arrived :)

Tuskers has a World Cup Kick off Party tonight

7-9pm happy hours - large Leo. gin or vodka + mixer and other drinks all at just 55 baht.

Durban Bunny Chow food special 100 baht - no rabbits were harmed in the making of this dish it is chicken curry served in a hollowed out loaf of bread.

Game of the Day Prediction - win up to 30% off your drinks bill.

Plus of course the football and a great atmosphere. All welcome to join.

BANNER6%20500.jpg

7-9pm happy hours - large Leo. gin or vodka + mixer and other drinks all at just 55 baht.

Durban Bunny Chow food special 100 baht - no rabbits were harmed in the making of this dish it is chicken curry served in a hollowed out loaf of bread.

BANNER6%20500.jpg

back in the UK until next week, but if I was in CM this is where I would be :D

BANNER6%20500.jpg

English commentary? I ask again because Dragonfly Bar says it will have it?

Funny story. I happened to walk in to that shop while the raid was taking place. I asked a guy if they had a certain jersey and he pointed me to it. I thought to myself that this shop must be doing brisk business as there were bags of jerseys being moved in big bags from the storeroom in the back to pick-ups in the front. Then I noticed the leather wallets hanging around the necks.... Oops. There were about 10 plain clothes, very well-dressed cops on site doing their business quite jovially. I felt sorry for the owner. He was well and truly cleaned out. I wonder what will happen those jerseys. What are the chances they will make an appearance at another venue???

BANNER6%20500.jpg

English commentary? I ask again because Dragonfly Bar says it will have it?

My position is exactly the dame as in my previous post. I will test English commentary tomorrow during the South Korea v Greece game. Just game noise tonight and the atmosphere in the bar

I'm not much of a football fan except for probably the closing stages of the World Cup but I was at Tuskers earlier this evening and have to say that Chas has really gone to town! He's built a sort of mini movie theatre where the pool table usually sits and set his new HDTV up with plenty of seats and fans away from the distractions of the bar. I think it's where I'll be when the competition starts to get exciting.

Funny story. I happened to walk in to that shop while the raid was taking place. I asked a guy if they had a certain jersey and he pointed me to it. I thought to myself that this shop must be doing brisk business as there were bags of jerseys being moved in big bags from the storeroom in the back to pick-ups in the front. Then I noticed the leather wallets hanging around the necks.... Oops. There were about 10 plain clothes, very well-dressed cops on site doing their business quite jovially. I felt sorry for the owner. He was well and truly cleaned out. I wonder what will happen those jerseys. What are the chances they will make an appearance at another venue???

2 senarios afaik

1. Owner pays up and gets stock back, from a few hours to a few days later.

2. No money is paid as BIB are on a crusade for the agent who owns the rights for the branded goods in Thailand. Owner will go to court.

but from your description of the very-well dressed cops, i reckon its senario 1 biggrin.gif

Anyone who finds any bars with decent English commentary please post here, John's place was advertising it outside today, not sure if it's true though. Just over three hours and counting! Can't wait, enjoy everyone!

Bargain Booze has the World Cup in English. They're just up from the Un Irish bar opposite to The Wall restaurant

Was at Tuskers from 8.00pm last night with the wife to watch the football. The place was lively, with plenty of South African Jersey wearing fanatics, blowing their loud trumpets, and making a quiet dinner for two out of order. They had two big screens, one in HD and set up like a movie cinema and also a small tv above the bar, and with the cheap 55baht large LEO the place had all the ingredients for a good night. Unfortunately when the game kicked off between SA and Mexico, they seemed to have problems with the audio, and for the first 10 mins we had audio only coming from the small TV. When they finally soughted out the sound it came through in Thai commentary. We left at half time so I'm not sure if they got the English on the tube, all I know is when I got home to watch it free to air, it was the same Thai commentary. Since this topic was venues that have the world cup in ENGLISH commentary. Would anyone like to recommend any other good venues for the football, with English Commentary, or share their experiences last night....football related:lol:

Was at Tuskers from 8.00pm last night with the wife to watch the football. The place was lively, with plenty of South African Jersey wearing fanatics, blowing their loud trumpets, and making a quiet dinner for two out of order. They had two big screens, one in HD and set up like a movie cinema and also a small tv above the bar, and with the cheap 55baht large LEO the place had all the ingredients for a good night. Unfortunately when the game kicked off between SA and Mexico, they seemed to have problems with the audio, and for the first 10 mins we had audio only coming from the small TV. When they finally soughted out the sound it came through in Thai commentary. We left at half time so I'm not sure if they got the English on the tube, all I know is when I got home to watch it free to air, it was the same Thai commentary. Since this topic was venues that have the world cup in ENGLISH commentary. Would anyone like to recommend any other good venues for the football, with English Commentary, or share their experiences last night....football related:lol:

Thank you for your feedback Brent. Generally apart from a few hitches I think last night at Tuskers was a resounding success with over 20 different nationalities in the bar including fans from both South Africa and Mexico :).

I have discussed the English commentary issue on previous posts in the thread and the situation remains that I will test systems during tonight's 6.30 game. If Supersport is back on that will obviously help.

Last night for the first 10 minutes we tried just game noise only but it was a disaster because of the constant hum of the vuvuzelas that's why we switched to Thai commentary which was much better. I was never going to play around with internet feeds last night with so many people in the bar. I have heard that some of the English internet commentary was on a 5 second delay which in my opinion is utterly pointless and totally distracting. If anyone has better experiences I would be happy to hear it.

This topic is about the general watching of the World Cup as well as the English commentary debate. Last night's atmosphere was electric even though most of the football was sub par and the feedback I had was overwhelmingly positive. I will keep working on the commentary issue to try to bring the very best World Cup experience to people in Chiang Mai

Edited by miltonbentley

Thank you for your feedback Brent. Generally apart from a few hitches I think last night at Tuskers was a resounding success with over 20 different nationalities in the bar including fans from both South Africa and Mexico :).

I have discussed the English commentary issue on previous posts in the thread and the situation remains that I will test systems during tonight's 6.30 game. If Supersport is back on that will obviously help.

Last night for the first 10 minutes we tried just game noise only but it was a disaster because of the constant hum of the vuvuzelas that's why we switched to Thai commentary which was much better. I was never going to play around with internet feeds last night with so many people in the bar. I have heard that some of the English internet commentary was on a 5 second delay which in my opinion is utterly pointless and totally distracting. If anyone has better experiences I would be happy to hear it.

This topic is about the general watching of the World Cup as well as the English commentary debate. Last night's atmosphere was electric even though most of the football was sub par and the feedback I had was overwhelmingly positive. I will keep working on the commentary issue to try to bring the very best World Cup experience to people in Chiang Mai

I think there will be a delay from internet - is there a way to get radio commentary (Five Live) from UK and turn off the sound? you have probably thought of everything already - but I wonder how Dragonfly have cracked it? I'm still debating where to go tonight but I'm desperate for the commentary (as you are I'm sure).