Hello all,

Ok, so I'm getting a bit panicky. I have been to Thailand a couple of times and fallen in love with the Country. I've made some friends (both Thai and Farang) who are living out there, and know a couple of people who have been both living and working out there for some time. Since returning from Thailand just a couple of weeks ago my plans have drastically changed - and I am now heading back to Bangkok in a couple of weeks to look for work (I have an interview set up with one company for whom a Thai friend already works).

Basically my dilemma is simple - I don't have a non-immigrant type B visa. Now the people I know who have lived there (one for 8 years before returning to the UK) and who live there now have advised that the visa run to Cambodia is the 'easiest' way to deal with visa issues. My Thai friends have assured me that the job will sort out visa and work permit issues for me - but I am increasingly concerned that I'm going to have problems.

Basically my issue is this - I will be on the standard 30 day tourist visa to start. I'm from the UK so I'm fine with that. I have a one way ticket because my plans are to stay in Bangkok and look for work - if I cannot, I will get a ticket home. I am being supported by my Thai friend until I find a job, at which point I pay them back. So I cannot apply for a Type B for a few reasons - I don't have a job lined up, so no sponsorship as yet, I don't have the funds to prove I am sufficiently covered because that is being taken care of by someone else, and I am leaving in less than two weeks (a quick change of plans) so haven't had time to apply for this visa in the first place.

Now I've read online I can probably sort this out in Thailand once I find a job, as being in the process of getting a work permit will work in my favour. A run to Australia or elsewhere isn't out of the question, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Is it at all possible to obtain the correct visa once I'm in Thailand and have a job secured? I can't believe that I need to have a job lined up before arriving in the Country to obtain one - the reason I'm going to Thailand is to earn money so that I can afford to live there and spend there!

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post!

The work visa gurus will no the answer when they visit your post.I would have thought if the job offer is a serious one then the company will take care of the B visa/work permit.But if it was me i would want to have some money as a back up for time line delays,or in your case that your friend has and is willling to continue to support you until you are on your feet.

Do not count on earning money in Thailand. You are competing against 10 million Thais in Bangkok for jobs. There are too many foreigners looking for work in Thailand.

Thanks for the advice - at the moment I'm applying for a job which requires a fluent English speaker to manage a team of Thais, but as I say, what job I actually end up getting is under no guarantee. This still doesn't answer my visa question, but I seem to be seeing more and more people in the same situation as me going through various different routes to obtain a visa. I think maybe securing a job first would be the best proof I can get to any Visa Bureau.

The work visa gurus will no the answer when they visit your post.I would have thought if the job offer is a serious one then the company will take care of the B visa/work permit.But if it was me i would want to have some money as a back up for time line delays,or in your case that your friend has and is willling to continue to support you until you are on your feet.

Thank you samuibeachcomber, this is the kind of response I was looking for, and I appreciate you taking the time to read my post :)

The job offer is for a large international company, and my Thai friends and Western friends have told me that companies such as this offer to cover any visa/work permit issues themselves. I'm not worried about having to do the visa run a couple of times whilst I'm getting it sorted, so long as I can get this sorted without having to fly back to the UK. I guess that's something I'll have to deal with as it arises.

My Thai friend has offered to support me until I find work, on the condition that I pay her back later. This isn't an issue at the moment, and gives me at least two months of support whilst I'm sorting out my situation.

You are likely to have problems with the airline allowing you boarding without either a visa or an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival (to meet Thai immigration requirements for visa exempt entry - which is what you are planning). Would suggest you obtain a visa from Thai consulate before travelling. From tomorrow (11th May) visa issuance fee is waived, but consulate may charge admin processing fee. Suggest you apply at Hull consulate for double entry tourist visa which, with extensions and a border run in the middle, will give you nearly 6 months stay.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

You will need to obtain Non-B visa and work permit once you find employment - and your employer will need to help you with that.

You are likely to have problems with the airline allowing you boarding without either a visa or an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival (to meet Thai immigration requirements for visa exempt entry - which is what you are planning). Would suggest you obtain a visa from Thai consulate before travelling. From tomorrow (11th May) visa issuance fee is waived, but consulate may charge admin processing fee. Suggest you apply at Hull consulate for double entry tourist visa which, with extensions and a border run in the middle, will give you nearly 6 months stay.

You will need to obtain Non-B visa and work permit once you find employment - and your employer will need to help you with that.

Thanks for the advice. I called them up and they advised I need to apply for the non-immigrant type O visa. I'll fill out the forms, get them sent off early tomorrow morning and await the return of my passport.

Thanks for your help, I've been panicking about this and it seems I finally have an answer.

I suggested tourist visa because that will give you nearly 6 months stay until you are ready and there is no visa issue fee - whereas you will have to pay for a Non-Immigrant visa. It seems from your later posts that you are close to securing employment, so Non-O visa will work well for you and can be used to support work permit application; single entry Non-O visa will give you 90 day permission to stay on entry. Check with your employer that they can then apply for an extension of stay for you at Thai immigration (there are requirements they have to meet).

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

For travel on a one way ticket you require some kind of visa - you do not require a non immigrant O visa. And if not married to a Thai some labor offices and employers will not be able to obtain a work permit and would require change to B visa.

As the tourist visa is free at official locations I would use that for 60 day entry and application for work permit - once you have the receipt for work permit and company paperwork you can easily obtain a non immigrant B visa from Laos/Cambodia or Malaysia with a two day trip.

Thankyou for both your posts.

I have sent off to the Hull Bureau this morning for a non-immigrant type 'O' visa. I hope that it will be granted and I will have no trouble getting into Thailand based on this. I have now a couple of interviews in place, and financially I will be supported until I get myself set up. I felt paying for this visa would be worth my trouble, as in the end it grants me 90 days with multiple entries, so if I do have any problems I have this to fall back on.

Again, thanks for your help!