Being Rip Offed! Sucker For Punishment?

billyboy

I take the train to Pattaya, 100B that includes the drinks, and food I buy along the track, pack of smokes pah yen duai. :D Sometimes it is too hot to take the regular train so I pick the time that has aircon cars just add another 25B  :o

Just for the sake of accuracy....

the train to Pattaya from Bangkok is an unreserved-seating, 3rd Class diesel train and takes up to 5 hours for the trip. There are no aircon trains....

unless something new has started up within the last day or so that I'm not aware of.

Just to be sure, a re-check of their website reveals that, as I thought, there is only ONE train a day from BKK to Pattaya daily, the aforementioned 3rd Class, Train #283.

Fare: 31 baht. Includes: Nothing.

Having said that all, I did like the remaining parts of the story you told.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SiamOne

In 28 years in Aus/NZ & 29 years in the UK, not once did I get ripped off or had anything stolen.

I wish I could say that about your beautiful, third world country.

Items and cash stolen regularly as though Thais think they have the right to steal and short change you.

Refunds are a joke, as is service, I guess you haven't read the "service" thread. :o

You seem to have an uncanny knack of pissing people off with your posts.

Have a nice one. :D

Edited by udon

Don't know why, but on 3 separate occasions in the past 2 weeks I have been approached by Thai guys asking me in English ' where did you buy your shoes?'

As said shoes are just an old pair of trainers and worth nowt I am immediately suspicious and make myself scarce :o

Potential scam? Or is there a shortage of used trainers in Thailand?

I’m a brand new poster and I wanted to get a cool little picture like you other’s have before popping my cherry but I’m so dumbfounded by these confessions that I have to dive in, little picture or no, and add my 2 cents worth…

It seems to me there’s a psychological need to be ripped-off, victimized, etc,. How else to explain these tales?

Working as a doorman at a night-club in the states in a tourist area, I became familiar with the street hustlers preying on the gullible and attempted to keep them run off of ‘my’ block. I went so far as to boldly tell many knuckle-heads that I saw being set-up that they were, without any doubt, being set up and they better keep their money in their pockets and find another friend. Never once did I manage to get a one to heed my words. If anything they’d get angry at me as I tried to warn them about their new-found friend now directing them to the nearest ATM. Then, half an hour later, I’d see them pacing up and down the street in frantic search of that new friend--and the cash--that’d disappeared into the night.

One night I half-carried a falling-down drunk from Nana to his hotel on Sukhumwit. I literally scooped him up off the street, explaining to him that he was a pigeon about to be plucked by the sleazy old hooker and the lady-boy ‘befriending’ him and following close behind us, calling out to him; as I kept telling them to get the *%#+ away from him. When I got him outside his hotel, he thanked me for my help, shook my hand, and as I turned around to walk away, he jumped in a cab and rode away with the two of them.

I’ve been falling down drunk many times, but never that drunk. He WANTED to be their victim.

20 years ago in a Thai restaurant with an attached go-go club, I had some dining ‘ladies’ sit near me at a large table, strike up a conversation, eat, and then disappear just as my check arrived. I looked at it and smelled a rat, at least three of them. After calmly arguing with the manager over the amount on my bill, he called the cops. I stood my ground; they weren’t my ladies, I didn’t know them, hadn’t ordered for them, I wasn’t paying. Where were they? Cops seemed to take the establishments side and gave me dirty looks. I didn’t get excited, but I didn’t give in. When, after 10 minutes or so, it became obvious I wouldn’t be suckered, the cops shrugged and left. I got up and followed them out and walked away.

I could rattle off a dozen more stories but I’ll spare you. Just remember what your Mama said-’DON’T talk to strangers’, keep your money in your pocket and make sure the taxi’s meter is on.

P.S. Can anyone remember when Thais were warm hospitable and always insisted on picking up the tab? Somebody sure messed this country up.

P.S. Can anyone remember when Thais were warm hospitable and always insisted on picking up the tab? Somebody sure messed this country up.

Sure can :o

Many times I have eaten or been drinking as the guest of a Thai.

Please remember, keep it in perspective. A few bad apples don't have to spoil the whole barrel.

My experience is that Thai's are general very warm and hospitable at every social and economic level.

Naturally, the country has many people and everyone is not the same and everyone's experience will not be the same.

My experience with Thai people is that they are very warm and hospitable. Please see my posts in this thread in the Thai Language forum for more insite into why I have this opinion and experience with Thai people.

Edited by Mr. Farang

Yeah, there is still a lotta warmth here when you get outta the tourist areas. My ‘P.S.’ was intended to be provocative in light of all the negative things being said.

May I add as one who has driven cabs in NYC that the scamming of foreigners in that, the taxi industry, is universal. While most honest drivers want to get in and out of the airports as fast as possible, there is an ever-present group of con-men who would sit for hours at the international arrivals, waiting to victimize an arriving foreigner. It was common knowledge that most of the ones doing this in the 80’s were themselves, Russian and Israeli immigrants.

I thought I knew the price of a taxi from the airport until one night a driver delivered me to Sukhumwit for 138 baht and no tolls.

Don't know why, but on 3 separate occasions in the past 2 weeks I have been approached by Thai guys asking me in English ' where did you buy your shoes?'

As said shoes are just an old pair of trainers and worth nowt I am immediately suspicious and make myself scarce :D

Potential scam?  Or is there a shortage of used trainers in Thailand?

A very strange, but possible, explanation??? :o

Shoe fetishism, also known as retifism, involves being irrationally or abnormally fixated on shoes or other footwear to the extent it may interfere with sexual expression.

There are also entire sexual subcultures revolving around specific types of shoe fetishism—sandals, combat/work boots, and sneakers (or trainers as they are called in British English) are particularly common fetish-objects.

One theory of shoe fetishism, as well as of foot fetishism, is that an infant's experience of their mother in many cultures may involve crawling around their feet. If sexual behavioral imprinting occurs during this time, it may lead to the feet or shoes becoming the primary object of arousal.

If this is the case, then indeed making one's self scarce is the appropriate action.

SiamOne

In 28 years in Aus/NZ & 29 years in the UK, not once did I get ripped off or had anything stolen.

Items and cash stolen regularly as though Thais think they have the right to steal and short change you.

Refunds are a joke, as is service, I guess you haven't read the "service" thread. :o

Well, good for you. If you look at the crime stats for those countries, it would seem that you are a lucky man.

Yes, there is crime in Thailand, but, once again, my point was that Thailand is not unusual, it happens everywhere (except to you Udon)

I agree that service and refunds can be a big problem, but you seem to forget that Thailand is still a 3rd world country, so consumer laws are not yet a top priority. I wish they were too sometimes.

As for your last sentence, maybe the truth can piss people off, but thats life.

I will have a nice one, thank you :D:D

My experience is that Thai's are general very warm and hospitable at every social and economic level.

Naturally, the country has many people and everyone is not the same and everyone's experience will not be the same.

My experience with Thai people is that they are very warm and hospitable. Please see my posts in this thread in the Thai Language forum for more insite into why I have this opinion and experience with Thai people.

and thank you Mr farang for those kind words.

I have a feeling that the warm Thai people are still there, but in the areas that most Farangs venture into, they are slowly being pushed out by the businessmen and crooks. Where do most of these scams and cheatings take place?? In the tourist areas mainly, where the best pickings are. If you go somewhere else, you will meet the real Thai people, who are not after your money.

before another 100 posts on how you got ripped off in some tiny village, oh well :o:D

Sorry....but I'm suspicious about the authenticity of the original posting.....a bit too pat....and for some reason I get the feeling the 140baht "moo steak" story (whatever it is).....is unbelievable..... I just can't imagine that ever happening here. And the 20 baht taxi thing is wrong etc.

These anacedotes could have been posted by a one time tourist who has an axe to grind - but not about the incidences he/she is alleging actually took place....

Mind you...I could be totally wrong....and if I am....apologies.....BUT.....

Does anyone else have any suspicions about the OP?

ripped off in the loS. I've had this conversation so many times.

I worked with a really tight guy and he was always being ripped off by 5 or even 50 baht that would cause a mood for a day ! He lives a life catching buses instead of taxis and permanently thinks taxi guys are taking the wrong turn! its bizarre !

Do the maths.. 35 baht start up 1 1/2 km free after that not sure now,i think 3 baht 1/2 km??? so for the stressed out taxi guy whats better one long journey with lots of twists and turns or short pick up and drops offs...... they do a service and a ###### fine one ! always take a limo they offer a much better ride for the same price as an old banger......

Restaurants do play up for the tip but hey, what would you do in their position !

It gets on my goat to see farangs moan about being ripped off over pennies !

get on and get over it!

look after your baht notes and let the Thais have the coins.. that's how i lived and it made me feel good !

up to you!

SiamOne

Refunds are a joke, as is service, I guess you haven't read the "service" thread. :D

Well, good for you. If you look at the crime stats for those countries, it would seem that you are a lucky man.

Yes, there is crime in Thailand, but, once again, my point was that Thailand is not unusual, it happens everywhere (except to you Udon)

I agree that service and refunds can be a big problem, but you seem to forget that Thailand is still a 3rd world country, so consumer laws are not yet a top priority. I wish they were too sometimes.

As for your last sentence, maybe the truth can piss people off, but thats life.

I will have a nice one, thank you :D:D

I did mention that Thailand was a 3rd world country...... I hadn't forgotten !

When corruption is endemic in the Customs dept, Forestry, Police, Parliament, et al, for once I agree with Sickman that it will take many generations for Thailand to catch up with the West, and this will only be achieved thru higher wages and an educated population.

Please name one Thai gov't dept which is not riddled with corruption. :D

Thailand is very unusual when compared to the West. :o

I'm with SiamOne on this and am very surprised at how quickly people are offended when she tries to turn the table by talking about being cheated in other countries. It's as if we - as visitors - have every right to slag off our hosts (who - incidentally - have few of the economic advantages we take for granted) yet don't like getting it thrown back in your face.

A few general comments:

1) There are thieves and liars everywhere. In every culture and creed. West, east, UK, Thai . . wherever.

2) Those complaining of being ripped off a few baht in Patpong etc need to remember that if you live in a gutter it's difficult to smell anything other than s**t. If you like to spend time in those places, do you really feel any moral superiority over the mamasan who tries to stiff you out of an extra 30 baht for a drink, or a taxi driver taking you a few extra trips round the block?

3) I'd like to think that every farang here who is bitter about the rip-offs and institutional law breaking is here completely legitimately, paying all their taxes, contributing to the economy and not taking advantage of legal loopholes such as visa runs etc. All present and correct? Good stuff. And, of course, none of you have done anything to break the law like . . ummmm . . paid for the company of a girl, bought a lacoste shirt for 150 baht, or will be watching The Island on dvd tonight, right?

4) If you don't like it, stop complain and go home.

This is a poor country full of people experiencing poverty like no farang could ever imagine. Farangs come here with western money and have a lifestyle that is beyond their wildest imagination in the west.

The odd attempted scam in a sex show bar? Jeez . get over it, or get some self-respect and don't go there. A taxi driver pretending the meter doesnt work? Get out and get into the next one. A policeman demanding a fine for dropping a cigarette butt? Use the rubbish baskets and stop treating this place like your own personal playground.

Show it some respect. And then, just then, you might stop feeling so defensive and victimised.

I'll get my coat. . . . . .

3) I'd like to think that every farang here who is bitter about the rip-offs and institutional law breaking is here completely legitimately, paying all their taxes, contributing to the economy and not taking advantage of legal loopholes such as visa runs etc.  All present and correct?  Good stuff.  And, of course, none of you have done anything to break the law like . . ummmm . . paid for the company of a girl, bought a lacoste shirt for 150 baht,
All Black Jerseys In Bkk

bendix Posted on: 2005-07-29 13:25:17

New adidas ones available from a streetseller who is always at the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Soi 11. If - by fluke - he's not there, walk back down Suk Road 20 metres and you'll see two shops (side by side) selling a variety of rugby and football shirts. All copies of course.

Thanks for giving that great tip on precisely where to buy the copyright-violating shirts... even if it does detract entirely from your other sentiments on this thread, it's good of you to share

I'll hold the door for you... :o

3) I'd like to think that every farang here who is bitter about the rip-offs and institutional law breaking is here completely legitimately, paying all their taxes, contributing to the economy and not taking advantage of legal loopholes such as visa runs etc.   All present and correct?   Good stuff.   And, of course, none of you have done anything to break the law like . . ummmm . . paid for the company of a girl, bought a lacoste shirt for 150 baht,

All Black Jerseys In Bkk

bendix Posted on: 2005-07-29 13:25:17

New adidas ones available from a streetseller who is always at the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Soi 11. If - by fluke - he's not there, walk back down Suk Road 20 metres and you'll see two shops (side by side) selling a variety of rugby and football shirts. All copies of course.

Thanks for giving that great tip on precisely where to buy the copyright-violating shirts... even if it does detract entirely from your other sentiments on this thread, it's good of you to share

I'll hold the door for you... :o

I'll leave with Bendix after I turn off the light. :D

*Sigh*

I thought my point was reasonably simple. I have nothing against people buying hookey gear. Frankly, it's good for the business i'm in.

But it's a little rich for moaning farang to complain about little scams every now and again when all of us are involved in our own little scams at the same time.

Double standards, don't you think? Or do we think it's ok for us to have our little tricks because we're white, not like those little brown thai fellas trying to pull one over on us?

Sick of farang complaining about life in LOS all the time when, frankly, it's very easy to get on a plane and go home. The Thais, unfortunately, don't have the same freedom.

*Sigh*

I thought my point was reasonably simple.    I have nothing against people buying hookey gear.  Frankly, it's good for the business i'm in. 

But it's a little rich for moaning farang to complain about little scams every now and again when all of us are involved in our own little scams at the same time.

Double standards, don't you think? Or do we think it's ok for us to have our little tricks because we're white, not like those little brown thai fellas trying to pull one over on us?

Sick of farang complaining about life in LOS all the time when, frankly, it's very easy to get on a plane and go home.  The Thais, unfortunately, don't have the same freedom.

never really looked at the rip of scams and had it justified the way you have, very well put forward. i will try and change my outlook.

you are quite correct about the double standards in the 'honest west' we would never be scammed and ripped of for such paultry amounts, we have perfected this art to do it big time and legally 'pensions, insurance, plumbers,credit cards' need i go on.

• 5 months later...
A Thai person going about their normal business will never approach someone they don't know. If one does, and just so happens to speak suprisingly good english, turn around, and walk away from them.

The best advice on this topic. Thank you, Samran.

I have read in other places that sometimes when people get a huge bar tab and refuse to pay it they get beaten up. Several times on the Lonely Planet Thai forum I have read about one guy saying his bar tab is much to high and suddenly having 5 guys who work in the bar jump him and beat the crap out of him.

How do you create a balance between standing up for yourself and getting into a violent situation?

Then walked out, and waiing on the way, said good night in my best and clearest Thai.
Great story, Greer. Thank you for posting.

When necessary, I've used the same technique, responding in clear Thai, in a strong voice - using the sort of tone that a senior manager would use with underlyings. I don't go looking for trouble - as you did with your escapade above - but sometimes it approaches me, say a Tuk-Tuk driver who just won't stop walking next to me. I make sure to respond loudly enough for other Thais in the vicinity to hear: motocy boys lounging on the courner, the grilled sausage lady, the tailor with the Singer on the footpath. A few words in clear Thai language is great "repellant" for two-legged mosquitoes.

I have read in other places that sometimes when people get a huge bar tab and refuse to pay it they get beaten up. Several times on the Lonely Planet Thai forum I have read about one guy saying his bar tab is much to high and suddenly having 5 guys who work in the bar jump him and beat the crap out of him.

How do you create a balance between standing up for yourself and getting into a violent situation?

tc101, you're reading some possibly very rare cases. How do you currently create the above balance? Too much worry on your part, me thinks.

To my knowledge someone has only tried to rip me off once in 3 years.

We were in the taxi queue at Don Muang and this taxi pulls up at the end of the stand and beckons us over indicating that we don't have to queue. We rush over, dump all our cases in the back, then ask him to put the metre on. He refused and said the cost would be 550Baht, (we normally pay 200 Baht to get to Sukhumvit from the airport).

WE say NO NO NO, 200 baht or we get out, he says NO , he has already moved 300 yards. Again we say 200 baht or nothing, so he screetches to a halt, we get out get or bags and leave with both doors still open. I am uttering obscene English words (which he cant understand, so we have to walk the 300 yards back to the queue.

It did not work out too well for him either as when he came back round again and parked at the end (not far from where we were standing (again) my Wife rushed off and told the taxi rank controller, who beckoned him to join the rank. Just gald he was gone before we got to the front... and he would have HAD to go by meter.

Serves him right the greedy bastard.

There may of been other times in bars when I have been ripped off, but I was too drunk to tell!!

To my knowledge someone has only tried to rip me off once in 3 years.

We were in the taxi queue at Don Muang and this taxi pulls up at the end of the stand and beckons us over indicating that we don't have to queue. We rush over, dump all our cases in the back, then ask him to put the metre on. He refused and said the cost would be 550Baht, (we normally pay 200 Baht to get to Sukhumvit from the airport).

WE say NO NO NO, 200 baht or we get out, he says NO , he has already moved 300 yards. Again we say 200 baht or nothing, so he screetches to a halt, we get out get or bags and leave with both doors still open. I am uttering obscene English words (which he cant understand, so we have to walk the 300 yards back to the queue.

It did not work out too well for him either as when he came back round again and parked at the end (not far from where we were standing (again) my Wife rushed off and told the taxi rank controller, who beckoned him to join the rank. Just gald he was gone before we got to the front... and he would have HAD to go by meter.

Serves him right the greedy bastard.

There may of been other times in bars when I have been ripped off, but I was too drunk to tell!!

:o:D

I think quite often these little rip offs are anoying but don't really hurt (the wallet). To a lot of people (first time tourists) the prices still seem atractive otherwise the guys wouldn't offer them and they always just do this in places where at least some tourists might appear and of course in dodgy places on the second floor. :o

I think if you want to get along in Thailand "un-ripped-off" you should simply act and react reasonable. Avoid too many stupid mistakes everyone knows about once he/she reads threads like this or any other kinds of advice (Lonely planet etc.) or lived in LOS for a while. Learn from your mistakes and of course as discribed very often already: walk away or let them know (speaking thai) they are/were not successful in their attempt e.g. taxifee

On the other hand there are some idiots in each and every country on this planet and major tourist places are well known for their gatherings :D:D:D:D:D ... this is not really typical only for LOS.

Hence...ENJOY THAILAND :D

KY

Edited by Khun Yak

I had an experience with the now ex-wife which I strongly suspect was a rip off Has anyone heard of or experiened similar ?

In December I bought the now ex a new car for cash, in her name. Then I went back to my home country leaving the ex in Surin province. On my return I found the car had been financed. The ex's explantion was:

a woman came to the village and asked me if I was interested in work. I went with her to a restaurant to discuss. During the meal she reached across the table and touched my wrist. The next think I remember was waking up in a hotel room in BKK the next day with the car sale documents on the table next to the bed.

I didn't want to loose the car so I went back to the dealer who told me I was there the day before with two men and a lady and sold the car to them, but I didn't have any of the money. The dealer arranged to sell me the car through a finance company so I could get the car back.

I didn't tell the police because they may do something bad to me.

Is this a scam ? Smells like one to me which goes a long way to explaining why she's now the ex-wife.

Got this great trick which annoys taxi drivers..... if they pull thoe stunts when you get in their car i.e. asking ludicrous flat fee's, just get out, and leave the back door open and walk to the next taxi. Really annoys them as it a bitch to close in the driver seat.

I generally never take a taxi which is parked as they always rip u off ( or try to ). I always waive the ones down who are driving and they very very seldom give you hassles.