The Huntsman - Two For The Price Of One - Not For Me !

ukrules

I finished whatever I needed to do Wednesday afternoon and as I hadn't eaten anything all day I decided to go for a steak at The Huntsman.

On my arrival I ordered the food and was told it's buy one get one free on the beer so I ordered a bottle of Heineken, about 20 minutes later I asked for my other bottle - the free one and a bottle of water as well.

I ate my food, drank my drinks, paid my bill and then left.

Normally I don't even bother looking at receipts but to my horror I find I have been charged for both beers, there are two 'extra' 'LOCAL BEER' additions on the bill as well which I assume are the free beers.

It looks like someone pulled a fast one on me hoping that I wouldn't notice, and I didn't notice either, not until now.

So now I have noticed I'm warning you - check your invoices at this bar ! This kind of thing makes me angry.

Just for good measure here's a scan of the receipt :

post-44895-1273686518_thumb.jpg

In case anyone from the bar reads this, I'm not interested in excuses, refunds, free beer credits for my missing drinks or anything, don't contact me at all.

Edited by ukrules

The point is - I drank two beers with my food and then left. I only expected to be charged for one and assumed they'd be honest about it.

im not poking fun at you... thats just down right mean spirited

I do know how they tend to add things to bills in Thailand and even my Thai friends double check their receipts but dont jump to conclusions it could have been a simple mistake that could have been solved by you just checking your bill or calling them up after.

I was overcharged at the Landmark buffet during their buy one get one frees and the manager was very helpful and apologetic when I pointed it out. If this happens to you time and again then maybe it is standard practice and a reason to get upset.

Obviously the 20 minutes in between the beers was the problem,was it the same server?

"I ate my food, drank my drinks, paid my bill and then left."

"Normally I don't even bother looking at receipts but to my horror I find I have been charged for both beers, there are two 'extra' 'LOCAL BEER' additions on the bill as well which I assume are the free beers."

You should always check your bill when paying for anything anywhere....personally if i had to pay 1300 bt for a steak and a beer and it came to that i would have noticed something was fishy,but if you don't check your bill...well???

The real stinger is that they charged you service charge and tax for it as well!!...OOCH!

I would take the bill back and get the money back.

scandelous..... charged you for 2 and even documented that you had 2 freebies :):D

Big time ripoff, for the price of one beer you can buy two most other places for the same price, so no such thing as a free beer for the price of one. For what he paid for two beers I could have gotten four beers at my favorite pub over on Soi 8 and Pints at that.

Well, it's not my job to keep track of invoices, deliveries, etc when I go out for a bite and a beer, that's what I pay them for. I'll have to start checking these things a bit more closely.

The worst thing about this whole sordid affair is normally when I eat at that time of the day I will only generally drink either one beer or coffee with a bottle of water with my food, that's enough. I only ordered the second one as I thought it was free !

I go to the Landmark quite often as they have decent specials on the buffet and when using local issued major credit cards get 50pct off. I think the problem is they have too many different type of discounts and promotions which confuses the staff. 3 weeks ago I agreed to meet a friend at the Landmark Huntsman in the early evening before we were to head out to dinner. I got there first, saw they had happy hour on the beer and wine. I had a glass of wine and while drinking it my friend showed up and I called over one of the waitresses and asked for the other glass. We drank our wine and when we asked for the check but when I saw the amount I was surprised. We had been charged for 2 glasses of wine and the other 2 showed free. Only 2 glasses of wine had been drunk. When I inquired about the charge it turned out to be a simple mix up with the other waitress not inputting the 2nd glass as the free glass. New check was brought with buy one get one on the bill.

I used to rarely check my bill and throw the credit card down for payment but in the last year I've been much more careful as I see many mistakes from all kinds of restaurants both local and in hotels. Bad training, confusion and generally too many promotions for the staff to keep track of.

I've drank there recently and had no problem with their buy 1 get 1 free; as indicated on your bill, you did qualify for the

promotion as it begins from 5:00pm or 17:00.

- it is most likely a technical human error on the register. I myself hate it when things like this happens.

I learned to be mindful of any bills/invoices where ever I go, including overseas.

Normally I don't even bother looking at receipts

They can spot people like you a mile away. This sounds like a simple mistake though. I always check my bill, everywhere in the world, it's foolish not too. Not just for being overcharged either, I don't want some poor waiter getting screwed because they left something off the bill, especially if I'm eating someplace expensive. Have had that happen numerous times in Thailand.

The point is - I drank two beers with my food and then left. I only expected to be charged for one and assumed they'd be honest about it.

Oh horror ! Meanwhile up the road the country sinks into anarchy ! :)

This kind of thing is happening all too often in many parts of Thailand due to no tourists anymore. I hadnt been to the bars for a few years but a few weeks ago went out with a mate that was here and was shocked that almost each bar in Cha am and Hua Hin we went to tried pulling some kind of stunt. Its bad enough the high prices they charge but when that isnt enough and they try adding extra beers etc its no wonder the bars are empty.

Never understood why people would bother with 2-1 happy hour at way over the top prices

looking at your bill, 169.00 baht plus 10% + 7% (200 baht all in) is hardly a good price for a heineken bottle.

The only thing I can think is when does the happy hour start there? Your bill shows you check binned at 5:11 pm, guessing your order your beers prior to happy hour which could have meant they were rung in before happy hour started?

Not sure really.

The "Happy Hour" is from 15.00 to 21.00 except on Sundays when it starts earlier to take account of the, recently increased in price, carvery.

I go there fairly regularly and the bill certainly indicates that you should have received a second drink. Seems like a genuine mistake, my experience is always that the staff bring your "free" drink as you are finishing your first one.

I quite like The Huntsman even though they aren't the cheapest on the block, but I really wish they wouldn't allow smoking in the bar - there, I've said it now.

Never understood why people would bother with 2-1 happy hour at way over the top prices

The happy hour was irrelevant and I didn't even realise it wasn on until the waitress told me about it. I like the sauce that comes with the steak at The Huntsman which is the only reason I went there in the first place.

For me when eating steak the most important thing is to have a good sauce served with it, after all it's just a lump of plain meat without a tasty sauce.

We drank our wine and when we asked for the check but when I saw the amount I was surprised. We had been charged for 2 glasses of wine and the other 2 showed free. Only 2 glasses of wine had been drunk. When I inquired about the charge it turned out to be a simple mix up with the other waitress not inputting the 2nd glass as the free glass. New check was brought with buy one get one on the bill.

So this is a 'mistake' is not a one off, I'm sure members of this forum represent only a tiny proportion of their customers. I wonder how many times each day they make this mistake and what they do with all the accumulated unclaimed free drinks.

I once worked in a busy city center bar many years ago and it was the policy of the manager to add one or two drinks onto any large rounds as they probably wouldn't notice the difference and no receipts were issued. He was right, I don't remember anyone ever complaining, he used to bragg about it at the time. This was in England. He pocketed the difference. If I wanted a free drink I just helped myself to one whenever I felt like it but didn't feel the need to rip off the customers.

I'd say this was a sinple mistake. But really, don't you think that a bill should be checked as a matter of course :)

I like the Huntsman. I've used it for a good few years now. Theres never been a mistake on my bill, the staff are always extremely polite and the food has been consistently good.

I'm sure if you had brought the matter to their attention things wouls have been swiftly resolved to your benefit.

For me when eating steak the most important thing is to have a good sauce served with it, after all it's just a lump of plain meat without a tasty sauce.

A good steak never needs any kind of sauce. :) Of course it is not easy to find a good steak for a reasonable price in this part of the world.

I'd say this was a sinple mistake. But really, don't you think that a bill should be checked as a matter of course :)

I like the Huntsman. I've used it for a good few years now. Theres never been a mistake on my bill, the staff are always extremely polite and the food has been consistently good.

I'm sure if you had brought the matter to their attention things wouls have been swiftly resolved to your benefit.

I use the Huntsman often when I'm in Bangkok but only during the happy hours. I've never had a problem with the 2 for 1 drinks but always have a rough idea of what the bill should be. Its still not cheap but decent value considering the surroundings and them having a smoking area. Oh dear it just slipped out.... :D

The food there is good but not great. Yes a little on the expensive side.

Never had a problem with the two for one  but you should always check your bill. Also they have excellent free-wifi and if you come often they will give you a 10% discount card.

Overall, a good place to relax and escape the heat.

Dear Ukrules

Thank you for your recent post regarding your visit to the Huntsman Pub on May 12th. We have checked our records and can confirm that you were indeed overcharged for one bottle of heineken at 199 baht.

The situation occured due to an error on the part of our service team where both members of staff wrote down the same order resulting in a duplicate order.

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding this unfortunate incident. In no way whatsoever do any Huntsman Pub staff members deliberately try to overcharge our guests.

On your next visit to the Huntsman Pub we will be more than happy to refund you the amount of 199 baht, or two bottles of heineken, whichever is more convenient for you.

Thank you for your understanding in this mater.

Management

Huntsman Pub