Are Reds Shirts Prejudiced Against Farang

leininger

I just returned from Phrae which is for most part a very nice and quiet town. However there is something which I found to be strange. It seemed to me that the people were not as friendly towards me as other places. Everywhere I have gone in Thailand, especially places like Phrae where there are basically no farang, Thai people have been extremely friendly and I always felt welcome. However I did not feel this way in Phrae. Then last night i walked with wife, who is Thai, to the area near govt. buildings and therewas a red shirt rally going on. A guy was giving speeches and they were playing the red shirt song over and over. It seemed like whole Phrae police force, suchas it is, was there and quite a few soldiers. The people there looked at me in what I do not feel was a friendly manner, although I am not saying they were outwardly hostile, and my wife refused to even go near these people and was also clearly uncomfortable about the whole thing.

I am not saying every single Thai person in Phrae was unfriendly, but I definitely feel these people were for the most part not fond of farang. This is the first time I have felt this animosity inn Thailand, and I am wondering if it has something to do with red shirt situation? I talked to other people who have been to Phrae who say people were very friendly there.

Perhaps they were just having a bad day, or maybe it was just me, but I am just wondering how and in what way the whole situation with red shirts will affect farang in Thailand in future.

Maybe girding their loins for a civil war makes people grumpy, short-tempered, bellicose and intolerant.

I shouldn't worry about it, nor take it personally.

I wouldn't try and bring race into it either.

Maybe they thought you were from Bangkok. I believe that there is some animosity there...

SC

Probably heard how many of the Bangkok rif raf talk about them.They know that farangs in Bangkok are very racist towards working class people

"working class" is now a "race"?

Probably heard how many of the Bangkok rif raf talk about them.They know that farangs in Bangkok are very racist towards working class people

Oh PLeasssssssssseeeeeeeeeee. the are angry about people that take the rule of law as a joke. they are angry about people stopping hard working people going to work and earning a living, thai and farang must I go on

I will offer a suggestion and it may or may not be true.

In my employment, I work with over 250 Thais. I have a great relationship with them, without exception, although differing personalities make for variations in the amount of friendship and warmth received. However, a few years ago when I first came to Thailand to work in this place, after a few weeks I decided that they were sullen and unfriendly people. Guess what the problem was? ME! I am not a morning person. After having an argument with a motorbike driver about the fee, nearly getting knocked over walking into work, trying to dodge people wandering aimlessly in uncertain directions, I glared at each Thai fellow-worker as I came to them because they did not wai me, smile, or even greet me. What I thought about LATER, was that this culture is one of vocal thriftiness. The most economical way of saying something is the correct way, even if it misses communication necessary to the Westerner. The rest is done with facial expression and body language.

The next morning, I smiled at everyone I came to. I waied them. I spoke to them in my most warm and friendly voice, in my feeble Thai at the time, "Sawatdee krup!"

I made a lot of friends and I learnt a lesson. The rest is history.

Your experience may or may not be about politics - I suspect it is not. I suggest that it may have been more about your wife than you: "my wife refused to even go near these people and was also clearly uncomfortable about the whole thing". They would recognise this immediately.

I visited a Red Rally twice out of interest. On each occasion, I could feel the people watching me and checking to see whether I was friend or foe. As soon as I smiled at them, or spoke to them, the friendship was returned.

This is Thailand. It is not the Land of the Stiff Upper Lip. But anyone who finds Thai generally cold needs to know that it is an equal and opposite reaction to the behaviour that they perceive you are displaying yourself. I have met many nice conservative Western tourists who say that they didn't find Thais particularly friendly. They just didn't know how to reach them.

Interesting topic, but keen to see what others have to say.

Who would want to be friends with red shirt thugs?

Not me, that's for sure. I do however very much enjoy being friends with red shirts activists who peacefully advocate democracy, equality, and oppose dictatorship! :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There are parts of Thailand that are farang unfriendly - Petchabun town comes to mind and the great Stick went to some border town (can't recall which) where he felt like he had to get out of there pronto - whether Phrae is amongst them I could not say. As the last poster says, it is surprising how sullen looking Thai men can positively react to a smile or nice vocal tone but there are a few places in Thailand where other rules apply.

A lot of it is down to individuals as well, Stick raves a little bit about Udon Thani city but I can not stand the place, nor many of its people, whereas I could (and have) happily live in Nakorn Ratchasima...

The OP's wife was probably worried about standing out from the crowd in a potentially violent situation; it would only take one idiot to start a rant about farang for the mood to darken...

"working class" is now a "race"?

Oh course it is

What ever "they" say must be true

or is what ever they think is true

or maybe it is whatever they want

it to be true, therefore must be true

Either, his statement is false

Not me, that's for sure. I do however very much enjoy being friends with red shirts activists who peacefully advocate democracy, equality, and oppose dictatorship! :)

So ... can we take it that none of those people belong to Rak Chiang Mai 51? The Udon group or similar groups? That they have all denounced Arisaman and EVERY Top tier Red leader that has openly called for violence from the red stages? That your friends are not part of the violent illegal rally in BKK? That they were not part of the local read that threatened the home with women and children and threatened to take over the police headquarters? That they aren't associated with ANY leader that has called for violence?

OK, I thought not .... NEXT :D

> Petchabun town

??? Again, I think that's a very friendly town.. Perhaps not quite as charming as Phrae, but still...

No comment on border towns, some of those can be sketchy.

My wife is from Phetchabun, and everyone there is really friendly to me. Of course, much more than the city life of BKK. I thought, personally, Nong Khai was really friendly. And south thailand, less so. subjective topic and depends on your background and your presence.

LOL!, Thats like saying I don't like cats, except for the ones that bark.

So ... can we take it that none of those people belong to Rak Chiang Mai 51? The Udon group or similar groups?

Yes, you can. (Kind of implied in my statement above, but happy to spell it out.). Rak Chiang Mai 51 get some very weird things into their heads, have some kind of thing against gays.. Nasty group IMHO.

That they have all denounced Arisaman and EVERY Top tier Red leader that has openly called for violence from the red stages? That your friends are not part of the violent illegal rally in BKK? That they were not part of the local read that threatened the home with women and children and threatened to take over the police headquarters? That they aren't associated with ANY leader that has called for violence?

OK, I thought not .... NEXT :D

??? You assume a lot.

( Some of course did join the protest, back while it was peaceful, before the April 10 massacre. )

Not me, that's for sure. I do however very much enjoy being friends with red shirts activists who peacefully advocate democracy, equality, and oppose dictatorship! :D

And where might THEY be located :)

LOL!, Thats like saying I don't like cats, except for the ones that bark.

No, it isn't. It's sad and unfortunate that you don't understand this, but I hope it's not lost on the more neutral readership.

Not me, that's for sure. I do however very much enjoy being friends with red shirts activists who peacefully advocate democracy, equality, and oppose dictatorship! :D

And where might THEY be located :)

You don't say where you are in Thailand, but if it's somewhere other than the South then chances are that the answer is: All around you. All you have to do is talk to people.

The vast silent majority of people want a peaceful resolution, justice, equality and democracy. That applies to people in what some seem to call "Redland" as well as anywhere else.

Double post.

:) So some joined the protest before the "april 10th massacre" ???? back when it was peaceful? LOL ---- I guess you NEVER listened to the violence being preached from the stage from March until April 10th?

The red shirt rally was violent even before it started --- with Arisaman calling for people at an upcountry rally where he was speaking to bring empty bottles to fill with petrol to burn BKK down ... BEFORE the rally started.

Did you have a yellow shirt on?

Red Shirts are not especially friendly with Farangs, but don't generalize it. Same story for the Yellow Shirts. I know both sides and the vast majority is friendly.

It's a Thai story and I would not go in between. Nobody will listen to me Farang anyway, when it comes to Thai politics.

Me, I have many friends who are red shirts, I wouldnt call them thugs.

What harm have they ever done to you?

Me thinks there are other issues here.

And before you accuse me of being a red shirt hugger I have just as many friends who are yellow shirts.

Me, I have many friends who are red shirts, I wouldnt call them thugs.

What harm have they ever done to you?

Me thinks there are other issues here.

And before you accuse me of being a red shirt hugger I have just as many friends who are yellow shirts.

Exactly.. There are a couple forum bullies around who label anyone who doesn't agree with their radical anti Red / anti Thaksin views as 'terrorists' or 'red shirt apologists', or just call them names. These people rarely get sent on posting holidays, even when repeatedly advocating (and applauding!) violence and murder, or persisting in blanket derogatory and ethnicity inspired remarks against 'stupid rice farmers', etc. They'd write one-line posts like 'Just cut off their pla ra supply and they'll scurry back to Issan", or "don't send in the dogs, they'll eat them", and actually think that's funny, or smart.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

What a silly post from somtampet.

Anyway I do not think red shirts have a particular issue with foreigners.

From what I can make out there problem is with the Thai political system.

The protesters looking badly at you were probably just thinking 'look at

this old git walking around with another one of our girls.'

Most of the half intelligent (I am not sure real intelligence exists in Thailand)

demostrators will understand that farang people help the poor areas evade

poverty. So for them to like or dis-like is not a issue for them, they will tolerate

as they know we help and probably care more about them than their leaders.