Current Situation In Chiang Mai

psh

I'm very new to the forum, so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, or if this has already been answered.

My wife and I will be arriving in Chiang Mai on the 21st of May from the US and I was wondering about the current situation. Is it safe? Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-PSH

psh.

re .... I was wondering about the current situation. Is it safe? Anything to worry about?

I was wondering about the current situation. Is it safe? .... yes ... ive been here 5 years and im still alive

re ... Anything to worry about? .... no ... come and enjoy chaiang mai

dave2

hi psh,

i wouldn't worry about chiang mai there are no riots there what so ever

but you'll have to fly tru bangkok and there are some serious problems

up to this moment they have kept the airport open, if i were you directly connect to chiang mai

and do not go to downtown bangkok unless you like to live dangerously

i hope you'l enjoy beautiful thailand

have a nice trip

cliokchi

psh.

re .... I was wondering about the current situation. Is it safe? Anything to worry about?

I was wondering about the current situation. Is it safe? .... yes ... ive been here 5 years and im still alive

re ... Anything to worry about? .... no ... come and enjoy chaiang mai

dave2

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm glad to hear that things are safe.

hi psh,

i wouldn't worry about chiang mai there are no riots there what so ever

up to this moment they have kept the airport open, if i were you directly connect to chiang mai

and do not go to downtown bangkok unless you like to live dangerously

i hope you'l enjoy beautiful thailand

have a nice trip

cliokchi

We are connecting through Bangkok directly to Chiang Mai, and have no plans to head to downtown Bangkok.

Thanks for replying.

i always come through singapore (silkair/singaporeair) directly into chiangmai, never through bangkok. but that is from australia.

there are many ways into chiangmai that don't involve going through bangkok.

ur InSaNE to be coming to thailand now !

people r dying in the street

and CM is enemy territory

Here is one for you to ignore and one of the problems that we have in Thailand atm, farangs who know absolutely nothing and are generally an embarrassment to the majority.

It is great here in CM and the only downside is a daily temperature in the 40's-hot!

There have only been 2 small bombs in CM.

One went off at a place I walked by nearly every day, but it wouldn't have killed me ....... maybe blinded.

Yes, CM is great as long as you don't get blown up, far more likely to get killed in a m/c accident of which there are many.

Of course how wise it is coming to a country that is spiralling into civil war, when you don't have to, is not for me to comment.

There are a lot of very stupid people living here who choose to ignore the reality of the situation.

"I live here so it must be the best and safest place in the world, etc. etc."

Edited by sarahsbloke

One went off at a place I walked by nearly every day, but it wouldn't have killed me ....... maybe blinded.

Yes, CM is great as long as you don't get blown up, far more likely to get killed in a m/c accident of which there are many.

Of course how wise it is coming to a country that is spiralling into civil war, when you don't have to, is not for me to comment.

There are a lot of very stupid people living here who choose to ignore the reality of the situation.

I guess we speak as we find, Chiang Mai for me is, in the main, a peaceful, friendly and mostly tolerant area to live, but there again so are many places throughout the world. In todays society where are the guarantees...pass me the map and a pin please. :)

Sorry to hear of your near miss,scary, sounds like you were lucky, was it this past week?

As for living in dangerous countries, had my share-England was probably the scariest :) . As for Thailand/CM, I have lived here many years, loved every minute of it. Am I concerned about the current situation, I would be foolish not to be but not enough to put off friends/relatives who are coming to visit.

Should the situation warrant a change then I will act accordingly. At the moment that is not necessary, and hopefully that is the way it will stay.

So come and enjoy. Just be aware.

Here is one for you to ignore and one of the problems that we have in Thailand atm, farangs who know absolutely nothing and are generally an embarrassment to the majority.

It is great here in CM and the only downside is a daily temperature in the 40's-hot!

the 40's , as in temperature stated above, does not mean for you to pack your long johns...... it translates to our [ yours and mine] temp readings of slightly over 100 degrees. But not to worry about the area saftey....

I have been here for 20 + years and have really come to love this part of the world...... hope I am never forced [health reasons] to relocate.

As the gods would have it, I have very good friends who are traveling over as we speak....their biggest problem has been plane trouble in the US causing a delay inconnections ..... but as far as CM is concerned, I would not worry about it .... just plan on having a good time

We have a nice little restaurant / guest house here and would love for you to stop by and shoot the %&^$^ if you have the chance...... PM me if you would like to......

Have a safe and enjoyable journey

Gonzo

No, just a :D :D

They come out of the woodwork at times like these.

:)

I agree with Winnie!

:D:D

Chiang Mai Sunday night market tonight was business as usual. A few people wearing red shirts in the crowd but I would like to stress that they were just going about their normal, every day business. One good thing about the little storm this afternoon was a bit of respite from the high temperatures. Dropped to about 27C and a lovely breeze. It's been 39C all week and hit 40C before the storm. Pity it knocked the power off though! At least it got me off the keyboard and gave me time to meditate.

You have to travel via Bangkok though. So, how are you getting from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? By plane would be the safest, I think.

I wouldn't advise anyone who has not already booked to come to Thailand at the moment, however. Wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Better safe than sorry!

:D

Actually I think that Chiang Mai drivers are the best in Thailand. I know that is not saying much, but they are much more law abiding and disciplined than everywhere else I've been. Some of them even stop at pedestrian crossings! Never seen that anywhere else.

I would like to thank everyone who has kindly taken the time to reply to my initial question. We are connecting through BKK to Chiang Mai on Thai Airways, with a short layover. From the replies to my question, Chiang Mai seems like a wonderful place with friendly people. My wife and I are looking forward to our visit.

All the best,

PSH

From the replies to my question, Chiang Mai seems like a wonderful place with friendly people.

I would just like to point out that Chiang Mai has its fair share of Thais who don't like foreigners. Almost every time I go out on my motorbike I get some asshol_e, usually going the other way, say something like "Go!" or "awk!" (out) or "bpai!" (go). A few of them are women. Happens in malls sometimes too. They think they can say what they like to you in Thai without you understanding, especially as it is usually muttered under their breath so that it's not obvious.

Unlike most places in Thailand, most people here have had some contact with foreigners and some have surely had negative experiences. Unfortunately all foreigners are then stereotyped.

From the replies to my question, Chiang Mai seems like a wonderful place with friendly people.

I would just like to point out that Chiang Mai has its fair share of Thais who don't like foreigners. Almost every time I go out on my motorbike I get some asshol_e, usually going the other way, say something like "Go!" or "awk!" (out) or "bpai!" (go). A few of them are women. Happens in malls sometimes too. They think they can say what they like to you in Thai without you understanding, especially as it is usually muttered under their breath so that it's not obvious.

Unlike most places in Thailand, most people here have had some contact with foreigners and some have surely had negative experiences. Unfortunately all foreigners are then stereotyped.

Some of the farangs that i see in Chiang Mai i would not want to encounter in my own country .I dont blame the thais at all .We do not have any problems with the thai people we come into contact with.

Iv'e never had anyone speak to me like this :) well apart from the wife :D .

After seeing how some of us treat them, I have to give most of them credit for not being more prejudiced against us. whistling.gif

Agreed, but I have very rarely had any problem with Thais, as long as I treat them with respect.

</P> <P>I would just like to point out that Chiang Mai has its fair share of Thais who don't like foreigners. Almost every time I go out on my motorbike I get some asshol_e, usually going the other way, say something like "Go!" or "awk!" (out) or "bpai!" (go). A few of them are women. Happens in malls sometimes too. They think they can say what they like to you in Thai without you understanding, especially as it is usually muttered under their breath so that it's not obvious. 

</P> <P>

You sir, are someone who 'thinks' he hears people talking, but unless you act or look strange, I don't believe your story.

The Nation newspaper claims that there was an Army bus set on fire here yesterday. Anyone else here this that lives here? I think if things cannot be controled in Bkk that it could easlily spread to the north here so I would still say sure be careful but still think its very safe here if you just stay out of the politics.

banjo-playing-smile.gif

The Nation newspaper claims that there was an Army bus set on fire here yesterday. Anyone else here this that lives here? I think if things cannot be controled in Bkk that it could easlily spread to the north here so I would still say sure be careful but still think its very safe here if you just stay out of the politics.

BBC claims the same about CM though have seen nothing myself.

The news have started to show up that red shirt leaders are now willing to negotiate ceasefire without any condition.

After seeing how some of us treat them, I have to give most of them credit for not being more prejudiced against us. whistling.gif

Agreed, but I have very rarely had any problem with Thais, as long as I treat them with respect.

</P> <P>I would just like to point out that Chiang Mai has its fair share of Thais who don't like foreigners. Almost every time I go out on my motorbike I get some asshol_e, usually going the other way, say something like "Go!" or "awk!" (out) or "bpai!" (go). A few of them are women. Happens in malls sometimes too. They think they can say what they like to you in Thai without you understanding, especially as it is usually muttered under their breath so that it's not obvious. 

</P> <P>

You sir, are someone who 'thinks' he hears people talking, but unless you act or look strange, I don't believe your story.

:D

Charming. Up to you, as they say.

Do you believe all Thais like farangs? Do you believe there are any Thais who resent foreigners being here? Do you believe all Thais are peaceful and non-aggressive?

I would say that it's more likely to happen if you are

• male
  • good looking
  • young
  • alone
  • outside - on a motorbike or walking about
  • "impolitely" dressed e.g. walking around with no shirt on
  • behaving like a boor e.g. being loud
  • in a "safe" situation for the mutterer i.e. in a crowd or you wouldn't be able to catch them and thump them

Not saying that I'm young or good looking, like. :D:)

It doesn't happen when I'm with my girlfriend, unless they don't see her with me. It doesn't happen when I'm with my son, unless I'm on the motorbike and they don't see him on the back.

I never go out without at least a T-shirt (not a vest) and long trousers, even in this heatwave.

I try not to be a boor.

A bore, I hear you say? Maybe, but hey, nobody's perfect. :D

Edited by seahorse