Advice For Acer Notebook Needed...

Sisaketmike

Hi,

A friend was asking me if I couldn't help him with his four year old Acer notebok, type unknown, doesn't really matter which one it is.

A Thai Super technician told him his motherboard would be broken, but:

He had his notebook in his fridge, and it started up okay. Switched off after a few minutes. I guess the fan cooling the CPU is out of order.

Any help would be appreciated. My friend can't afford to buy a new notebook and he needs it to work.

Thanks a lot for any helpful advice.

Could be a number of things, does it start from room temperature?

If not it's likely a bad joint somewhere on the motherboard, possible to fix IF you can find it.

Laptops get very dusty inside as they as there is so little room for circulation. Try putting a vacuum to the vents to draw out any dust. When you take the laptop apart (which requiers alot more skill than a desktop) you will probably find the fan(s) are caked with dust. Simply clean as best you can. Replacing the fans very much depends on the type of fan/processor combo and sourcing can be difficult. Also check the contact between the processor and heat sink, it might need some more electrical grease to help the heat conductivity. That's if the heat sink can be detatched fo course.

Good luck, laptops are not easy to work on.

is there any sound while starting the system?

usually if there is a problem, there should be a sound coming from the

mainboard speaker.

it is like i.e. five times a short sound or something like that.