New British Embassy Warning For Chiang Mai

Wolfie

· We advise against all travel to the city of Bangkok.

· There were a number of violent incidents in Bangkok on 19 May, after security forces cleared anti-Government Red Shirt protest sites. Following the dispersal of these protests, acts of violence are continuing to occur in various parts of the city.

· The situation is highly unpredictable and further acts of violence are likely. British nationals already in Bangkok should stay indoors and monitor this travel advice and local media. British nationals elsewhere in Thailand should wherever possible take transport services which do not involve transiting Bangkok.

· On 19 May, the Thai Government announced a curfew, from 20:00 on 19 May to 06:00 on 20 May in the city of Bangkok and in the following 21 other provinces: Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom, Ayutthaya, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampang, Nakhon Sawan, Nan, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chaiyaphum, Nakhom Ratchasima, Si Saket, Ubon, Nong Bua Lumphu, Mahasarakham, Roi Et, Sakhon Nakhon, Kalasin and Muk Da Han. It is possible that this curfew may be extended for a longer period.

· Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok is operating as normal. The route to the airport from Bangkok city remains open but you should look at our travel advice and the media for any other information.

· The Thai Government have said that travel to and from the airport is permitted in curfew hours provided you are able to show officers at checkpoints your passport and airline ticket. However, in view of the risk of violence, we advise any British nationals currently in Bangkok to remain indoors during the curfew period. If you need to travel to the airport, we advise you to do so outside the curfew times even if this means starting your journey earlier than planned.

· FCO advice against all travel to the city of Bangkok does not apply to passengers transiting Bangkok airport on their way by air to other destinations, either within Thailand or internationally.

· We advise against all but essential travel to the city of Chiang Mai where a number of violent incidents, some involving gunfire, have occurred following the clearing of the Red Shirt demonstration sites in Bangkok. Red Shirt demonstrators have set up a demonstration site at the Chiang Mai railway station. British nationals already in Chiang Mai should monitor this travel advice and local media before going out during the day, and otherwise comply with the curfew in force.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...s/travel-advice

British Embassy

Bangkok

thank God for thaivisa.com

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find latest developments in Chiang Mai, especially after the rising violence and riot in Bangkok! This is the first I found. I should definitely postpone my June trip to Chiang Mai! :)

Arigato!!

thank God for thaivisa.com

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find latest developments in Chiang Mai, especially after the rising violence and riot in Bangkok! This is the first I found. I should definitely postpone my June trip to Chiang Mai! :)

Arigato!!

The Chiang Mai subforum of this site tends to be better for measuring the local climate - you'll find it at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chiangmai-Forum-f28.html

The Chiang Mai subforum of this site tends to be better for measuring the local climate - you'll find it at:

http:// www.thaivisa. com/forum/ Chiangmai-Forum-f28.html

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

you've made my life so much easier!!! :)

Get out now, this is only the beginning.

:) Sad but I think you are right, as soon as my family can safely get to the Visa office for England (and when it opens again) we are outta here. This isn't going to be over any time soon, if the six years i have lived here have taught me anything, it's that nothing happens quickly here, things like this just go on and on.

Unfortunatly this is going to spread nation wide, not to the extent we see now, but there are going to be clashes and unrest for a long time to come.

:) Sad but I think you are right, as soon as my family can safely get to the Visa office for England (and when it opens again) we are outta here. This isn't going to be over any time soon, if the six years i have lived here have taught me anything, it's that nothing happens quickly here, things like this just go on and on.

Unfortunatly this is going to spread nation wide, not to the extent we see now, but there are going to be clashes and unrest for a long time to come.

I have the same bad feeling. Both sides lack respect for each other, do not trust each other. The farmers and the poor see their chance to seek revenge for being cheated so many years, the middle class and westernized urban people see the fruits of their own work being destroyed. And the elite on both sides are just waiting like vultures for a last juicy chunk of meat from the slowly rotting corpse of a nation that was once known for its smiles.

There is only one way out: impartial judiciary and impartial executive powers. Whoever is in charge at the steering wheel of the government, the law must apply equally to all. That's where Thailand malfunctioned. Think it through - it is the reason and solution. Nothing else. The judges failed to provide equality before the law. And police failed to investigate unbiased.

I don't work in Thailand right now but, it is my home since 18 years. I was close to tears yesterday watching in horror the killing and looting. I always critizised politics and society, education and law enforcement. I never realized until now, how much I love that country...

Edited by deepskyfreak

The red protest in the car park at the railway station has been there for weeks. This travel advisory presents this as something new and possibly sinister but it's not and there have been no incidents of violence there as far as I know. I wouldn't rely on the British Embassy for reliable information, but I would rely on the expats (well most anyway) posting in the Chiang Mai section of this forum.

Edited by Loaded

I have the same bad feeling. Both sides lack respect for each other, do not trust each other. The farmers and the poor see their chance to seek revenge for being cheated so many years, the middle class and westernized urban people see the fruits of their own work being destroyed. And the elite on both sides are just waiting like vultures for a last juicy chunk of meat from the slowly rotting corpse of a nation that was once known for its smiles.

There is only one way out: impartial judiciary and impartial executive powers. Whoever is in charge at the steering wheel of the government, the law must apply equally to all. That's where Thailand malfunctioned. Think it through - it is the reason and solution. Nothing else. The judges failed to provide equality before the law. And police failed to investigate unbiased.

I don't work in Thailand right now but, it is my home since 18 years. I was close to tears yesterday watching in horror the killing and looting. I always critizised politics and society, education and law enforcement. I never realized until now, how much I love that country...

Very very true, and let's see what happens to the Redshirt leaders and those arrested over the past few days, that too will determine how the country reacts. I feel a bit worried for the protesters that surrendered and took the free bus home! Notice they all had to have their I.D recorded before getting on the bus....think I would have rather made my own way home.

An excellent post IMHO, and I agree that this is just the beginning. Sad but true, and when you really think about it, inevitable.

I’ve got a friend an Ex colleague at my former school, pretty cool and I can’t hate her for being red which doesn't’ mean that I agree with her political view.

But she was sending me a kind of warning, please be careful next time. Things will get worse.

This was two days ago, yesterday evening on my way home hundreds of cops and Army surrounded the city hall. Actually they sealed the whole area.

Seems that there’s more coming. Watch out for high speed bullets.

The red protest in the car park at the railway station has been there for weeks. This travel advisory presents this as something new and possibly sinister but it's not and there have been no incidents of violence there as far as I know. I wouldn't rely on the British Embassy for reliable information, but I would rely on the expats (well most anyway) posting in the Chiang Mai section of this forum.

<deleted>....I think it is YOU that needs to read the Chaing Mai forum as it has been reported world wide now about the trouble here in CM. If you think there is nothing going on why not put on a yellow shirt and head for the train station. Stop telling people that it is all fine here. You are causing unrest.

I wouldn't say nothing. I live beside the train station. They were dousing lines of gasoline across the road and lighting them mid day. Anyways this has to with the freezing of 106 wealthy individuals bank accounts who are thought to be involved with Thaksin. This is just the start. Pissing off the rich will cause so many problems that will eventually piss off the poor. Tie that in with deaths, drought(looks like another weak year), the king ailing and you have a very serious situation on your hands. Were at the tipping point lets see if we can stop going over the edge.

Chiangmai might get some action but its not going to be anything like bangkok after all most of the people here are redshirts are they going to burn their own buildings?

Its still a million times more peaceful here than in London or New york and a million times safer

UK and USA are experts at bombing countries and killing people by the thousands with violence and they warn their citizens to avoid Chiangmai after a few bottle rockets went off?

What a joke!

I am sorry sometimes that flaming IS disallowed - some post really deserve it

Its still a million times more peaceful here than in London or New york and a million times safer so <deleted> **F UK and USA what the hel_l do you know?

Really, and when was the last time London or New York were locked down by government-imposed curfew?

I doubt if you'll really need to postpone your trip. Most of Chiang Mai is perfectly fine, and next month even safer (I think).

Just make sure you enjoy hotel bedrooms, because that is what you will probably be looking at between 8.00pm and 6.00am. Thank heaven I'm out of this country tomorrow, never to return. I just hope I will be able get to the airport.

Edited by Rumpole

Chiang Mai is fine. Coming here is a good option to avoid the insanity.

Yes, Chiang Mai is fine as long as you don't want to eat out, have a drink, or do anything other than sit in your hotel after 8.00pm. "Avoiding the insanity" is NOT coming to Thailand in the first place.

Chiang Mai is fine. Coming here is a good option to avoid the insanity.

Yes, Chiang Mai is fine as long as you don't want to eat out, have a drink, or do anything other than sit in your hotel after 8.00pm. "Avoiding the insanity" is NOT coming to Thailand in the first place.

It's only for a couple days and for good reason. Try going out earlier and coming home and going to bed at 9pm. Probably do most people some good to turn in early for once, and you'd likely sleep past 5am. Wouldn't even notice the curfew. Early to bed, early to rise.

Edited by Bottlerocket

It's only for a couple days

:):D The rose-tinted Polyannaism of some of the expats in Thailand is a never-ending source of amusement. Do you seriously believe that this mess will be resolved in a couple of days?

Try going out earlier and coming home and going to bed at 9pm.

Yes, lovely. Exactly how I planned to spend my hard-earned holiday. Not.

OK It was my own injudicious decision to come to this country. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. Made my bed and I'll lie in it till I can get the hel_l out to somewhere which is not in a state of semi-perpetual siege (tomorrow, if Buddha wills it). However, the suggestion that everything in Chiang Mai is fine is absolutely laughable.

Edited by Rumpole

<deleted>....I think it is YOU that needs to read the Chaing Mai forum as it has been reported world wide now about the trouble here in CM. If you think there is nothing going on why not put on a yellow shirt and head for the train station. Stop telling people that it is all fine here. You are causing unrest.

It's always funny when people credit you with things you didn't say.

I said the train station protest has been there a long time and isn't new. As far as I knew there hadn't been any incidents of violence there.

You said I said all is fine in Chiang Mai and that I also said nothing is going on in Chiang Mai. I didn't say that but that won't interest you anyway, will it?

I've just driven around Chiang Mai and nothing is happening in the city at the moment. No doubt you'll misquote me on this as well.

Everything is fine. You can feel the tension though. These things have more of an organic growth to them. Things aren't gonna just kick off up in Chiang Mai. However, less tourism, less money for everyone. Tie that in with another poor rainy season(which could happen up here) and people start to get heated. Blend this in with the fact you have a paid militia, red shirt movement that wants change, dying King and the problems can push this thing over the edge.

I think the main problem is what this has done to the tourist industry. A couple bombs where foreigners get injured or killed and this country will implode. Paid militia that are bombing and looting can wreak a lot of havoc.

I've lived her for a while but when you start getting bombs and such no one is safe. In the meantime I believe every where but select areas in Bangkok are safe. But if you start seeing random attacks escalate further I wouldn't underestimate the situation.

Another paranoid soul who lives his life making decisions based around fear. I suggest you go rent and watch the movie "Defending Your Life". You might just "get it"... but then again, maybe not. My condolences for you and your family

I don't live in Chiang Mai city, I live in a typical small town within the province, one of very few farang here. I have a wife and 10 month old son, I know full well what Thai people are capable of, I watch them do it to each other all the time, take your rose tints off and look around, this is not over by a long shot......

You my friend are the one who "doesn't get it", I'm not stuck here because I don't have anywhere else to go, I'm not stuck here because I do not have the resources to leave, I am not stuck here at all, my family can go anywhere for an extended holiday, and that is just what we will be doing, you want to stay here with yours (if you have a family) thats up to you, but I will feel a lot better getting my family out until things start to cool down. Fear and wanting to keep your family out of harms way are two completely different things. Good luck to you.

Edit: And we are over looking why many farang moved here to start with, it used to be LOS, it hasn't been that for a long time, the smiles have faded, there is an undertone within the nation now.

Edited by solent01

:):D The rose-tinted Polyannaism of some of the expats in Thailand is a never-ending source of amusement. Do you seriously believe that this mess will be resolved in a couple of days?

OK It was my own injudicious decision to come to this country. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. Made my bed and I'll lie in it till I can get the hel_l out to somewhere which is not in a state of semi-perpetual siege (tomorrow, if Buddha wills it). However, the suggestion that everything in Chiang Mai is fine is absolutely laughable.

The poster was talking about the curfew, which will probably only last for a couple more days. The stupid posts from some tourists is a never ending source of amusement to me. :D

The poster was talking about the curfew, which will probably only last for a couple more days. The stupid posts from some tourists is a never ending source of amusement to me. :D

Tourist now, but former resident (though it is a moot point whether a farang can ever be considered that in Thailand). I saw the writing on the wall several years ago and had the foresight to get out. Care to have a little wager on how long the curfew is going to last?

Edited by Rumpole

Please give me a point by point rundown of all of the threatening situations that went down here today in Chiang Mai if it's so dangerous in your feeble opinion. Actually... I'd settle for ONE!

Hi Rumpole.

When did you make the decision to leave, before or after the Redshit's invasion of BKK?

Just curious as you've been here longer than most of us.