Transformer

Spaniel

I have a slide projector that I brought with me from the USA but it is 110v. I have checked several places in Bangkok but no one seems to sell a step up transformer. Does anyone know where in Bangkok or Pattaya I can buy one?

Pretty well any mom-and-pop electrical outlet should have transformers, however you need a step-down transformer so maybe that's what the problem is.

Try a simple drawing if you don't speak Thai, just a box with 220V and an arrow pointing in and 110V and an arrow pointing out :)

You need to ensure the transformer you get is adequately rated (Watts or Amps) for your appliance.

I'll move this to the Technology forum.

Plenty to be found in Ban Mo, there's a dedicated transformer shop about 10 meters inside the three-floor parts market that can surely set you up.

You can go for a full 220-110 volt transformer or a cheaper 220-110 V "autotransformer" The latter just has a single tapped winding and is therefore not insulated from mains. Both will work fine.

Just make sure you get one rated for the wattage you will draw, 100W will probably be fine, but check your projector. Price for a 'real' transformer should be around 500Baht.

Check the wattage/VA closely. If I recall most projections were in the 3-500 watt range and add fan/motor/electronics could be a bit more. Most transformers sold here are not good for the wattage they are marked so best to always buy larger if in doubt.

Bought 4 myself in Pantip almost two years ago. Can't remember what floor. They were 80W, had a 110/220V switch on them to stepup or stepdown, enclosed in sturdy white plastic, about the size of two packs of cigarettes, all 4 are still working, each one cost me about 200 Baht