Obligations For Husband If Married In Thailand?

THAIPHUKET

If your relationship with the bride to be started off with a financial transaction, then accept that as an indication of what is expected from you in your marriage. Installment 2 will be the Sin Sod.

Gentlemen,

I dont need warnings or advise. I'm not interested in the many stories of unfortunate endings.

But perhaps there is someone out there who provides some legal source in English where I can read up to form my own opinion.

That's all I am asking for.

As well as the wealth of material in thaivisa, you can just use google, bing, yahoo, etc .... use search words like "thailand law marriage" and you will find the web sites of thai law firms ... most of these have free articles and discussion papers, even english translations of relevant thai laws ... it's all there. if you want one specific place to start then just google on "tilleke and gibbins''

What's the farang obsession with Sin Sod, I married a Thai and it never came up. I guess if the girl is marrying you for your money it's important.

It's not really a 'rare' custom. It's still praciticed in India, other parts of Asia, and some parts of the West, only it's called 'dowry' and, by some strange quirk of history, it's the bride's family who has to pay. 'Dowry' was a custom in Europe for centuries.

---------------------------

It would be quite 'saw off' if an Indian man married a Thai woman!

----------

Cons

Everything you obtain after the marriage is considered jointly owned and will be split 50/50 on divorce except property which is entirely hers (as you will have signed a letter to that effect when she buys any property at the land office)

Money you bring in after the wedding 'may' be considered joint property.

Pros

You will each be automatically awarded 50 percent custody of any children unless you give your rights away.

Divorce by mutual consent costs about 50 bht in photocopying fees

Child support is set at 100bht a day for children you father within wedlock, but you don'e have to pay if you don't feel like it (no collection agency).

Children fathered outside wedlock ....... not the fathers problem, no rights and no responsibility.

That's about it.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Cons

Everything you obtain after the marriage is considered jointly owned and will be split 50/50 on divorce except property which is entirely hers (as you will have signed a letter to that effect when she buys any property at the land office)

Money you bring in after the wedding 'may' be considered joint property.

Pros

You will each be automatically awarded 50 percent custody of any children unless you give your rights away.

Divorce by mutual consent costs about 50 bht in photocopying fees

Child support is set at 100bht a day for children you father within wedlock, but you don'e have to pay if you don't feel like it (no collection agency).

Children fathered outside wedlock ....... not the fathers problem, no rights and no responsibility.

That's about it.

A very good reply to the thread!

There is a question of Sin Sot, but since my wife had a previous marriage, the subject never came up ,none was requested- none was paid.

Divorce, both parties are in agreement you go to the Ampur office with (2) witnesses, sign the paperwork along with the witnesses signature, Land belongs solely to her! all else obtained since your marriage is community property and is split 50/50 including any house you built or home improvements added. Cost me a grand total of 100 baht as we brought only one witness and paid a Thai women 100 baht to be our other witness, the Ampur did not charge us anything , as they said we had waited a long time in the office.

Cheers :)

Now gentlemen,

these are substantive answer indeed, much obliged.

I assume the marriages were entered into under Thai law and later verified in your respective countries?

And the same verification process was also applied for the divorce?

What's the farang obsession with Sin Sod, I married a Thai and it never came up. I guess if the girl is marrying you for your money it's important.

Not true, when I got married I borrowed the sin sod from wife's parents; just had to have it to show to the village, thats all. We (my wife and I together) bought the gold and still keep it ourselves.

Just because people you know are greedy doesn't mean everyone is. BTW, I'm sure there is a reason you did not have to provide sin sod but I wont speculate on that.

When done correctly there is a good reason for it culturally, unfortunately some use it to bilk foreigners.

Now gentlemen,

I assume the marriages were entered into under Thai law and later verified in your respective countries?

Since your are interested in the strict legal aspects of marriage and divorce....... a comment on contested divorce settlements: I know of a specific case where the expat husband was awarded the house by the court even though it was in his wife's name.

So your "mileage may vary".

Now gentlemen,

Verification?

A translation was provided by the office I used, and a translation of the translation was accepted by Germany, where I was working then.

No divorce experience.