Do Other Farangs Acknowledge You In Public?

KunMatt

You may have noticed that my post had been edited. I orignally made a cutting remark, but then decided to delete it as you are not worth getting a ban for.

Oh ok, I missed that and I withdraw your D+. PM me your original reply if it's clever or funny.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, many caucasians in LOS are miserable gits and have the personality of a piece of dry white toast. Its kinda the same in our own countries; try going out to a bar by yourself and striking up a conversation with a group of people; they will look at you like you are a crazy loser. I have often wondered why our culture is that way.

Life is so much more pleasant when people are nice and polite to each other. Some people will never get it though.

It basically comes down to this illusion that they live in where they think they are Thai, either that or they are the only 'special farang' who exists.

When you turn up and smile at them it spoils the illusion so they blank you and prefer you not to exist.

yep ,,,, I am KING FALANG , you go away ..

and then you have the mayor of the area,

SUPER KING FALANG ,,,,

The question you have to ask yourself is, if that same farang was sitting at a table eating a donut in your home country, would you expect him to acknowledge you? Of course not.

Stop bothering complete strangers.

In light of some of the types that wash up here, it's probably in one's best interests to keep oneself to oneself. Other than the obvious, many foreigners come here to escape the typical humdrum life back home and all the boorish chitter-chatter that that entails. I interact with other foreigners but I'll be buggered if I'll acknowledge all 'n sundry simply because they're the same race away from home. For me, even a couple of seconds is too important to waste on some random pleb which may, gawd forbid, end up in pointless conversation.

Op, it seems you hanker for normality and perhaps the body-language of your eagerness to be acknowledged, and the possibility they may end up having to converse with you, puts them off. You also seem adept at shooting down anyone's opinion on your own topic. Perhaps try chilling a bit. :)

In light of some of the types that wash up here, it's probably in one's best interests to keep oneself to oneself. Other than the obvious, many foreigners come here to escape the typical humdrum life back home and all the boorish chitter-chatter that that entails. I interact with other foreigners but I'll be buggered if I'll acknowledge all 'n sundry simply because they're the same race away from home. For me, even a couple of seconds is too important to waste on some random pleb which may, gawd forbid, end up in pointless conversation.

Op, it seems you hanker for normality and perhaps the body-language of your eagerness to be acknowledged, and the possibility they may end up having to converse with you, puts them off. You also seem adept at shooting down anyone's opinion on your own topic. Perhaps try chilling a bit. :)

Jackr says it the way I see it too.

I moved here to get away from western people.

I certainly don't want to talk to random male strangers just because they are white.

Any young Thai ladies want to smile at me ...... totally different, smile on.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I've been here twice on holiday and just moved to Bangkok the other day (from the UK) to start work.

I'm quite lucky in the respect that I know a couple of 'farangs' and Thais here from my holidays, but there is still that feeling of being alone in a strange Country. When I was here before I saw other Westerners in shopping malls, sometimes older couples - and don't remember being acknowledged. However, at the time I didn't really consider it - it was my first time here and I was on holiday so considered a lot of Westerners were the same, just getting on with their holiday. The second time was slightly different, and I struck up a conversation with a Western guy who turned out to be English, just outside my apartment where I was staying at the time and am living now. He was an older guy who had been living here for over 30 years, and was very friendly. He was recommending places to look for work and saying I should stay (I was indecisive at the time). I'd like to hope he's still in my apartment block, as it was nice to talk to such a nice guy without any pretence whatsoever.

Walking down the street earlier today I didn't see any Westerners, but got a few looks from Thais - I have that 'fresh off the boat' look going on - pale skin, stupid shorts and T-shirt combination with dirty trainers (I seriously need to start working to afford better clothes!) - and it does make you feel like you really stand out. I completely understand nodding, smiling and saying hello to other Westerners in passing.

The 'why acknowledge someone I don't know?' mentality on here is astonishing! I wonder how some of the posters on here have ever met anyone! If someone on the street smiles and says hello, why ignore them? You don't know them, so that's it? They could be ANYONE! Maybe bad, maybe good, maybe crazy - but who cares? If everyone went around with this mentality the World would be as miserable as the West is becoming. What I find particularly ironic is that a lot of us come here to escape the general lifestyle in the West, as well as the general unpleasantness of some of the people there - and yet a lot of people bring that with them and can't even see it. I come here to be cheerful, enjoy life, and let people into mine. Thais don't seem to hold back on talking to complete strangers - it's one of the big draws for me.

I was at the airport in Dehli the other day to transfer to BKK, and met a few Westerners - very nice people. A couple of older guys who lived in Thailand, however, were two of the worst to speak to. Devoid of any sense of humour or charm. Maybe it is living here that does it, but it's very recognisable to me. I've met a fair few 'travellers' - and a lot of them share similar traits - being quite distant, vague and difficult to speak to, and having an air of 'I'm better than you' attitude. That's pure personality though, as I say, the guy I spoke to in Bangkok who had been here over 30 years was lovely. Some people are just as_sholes, and honestly believe they know better than us. One of the guys laughed when I asked if he was heading to BKK: 'Pfft, Bangkok? No no, I'm not going to Bangkok, I'm going to Pattaya!' My Thai friend couldn't stop laughing when I told her this.

As a lot of the good people posting in this thread have proven, there are those in Thailand who have brought their typical Western attitudes to Thailand with them, and then complain when others from the West want to associate with them. They don't realise that THEY are the ones who are ruining any reputation farangs have here. Go to Nana, you'll meet hundreds of these idiots. That being said, I'm sure ANYWHERE in Thailand has lovely people, and idiots, so it's hard to identify them. Just keep being nice, and don't lose that trait. You're making my life, for one, much nicer in Thailand.

Edited by DavidSL

They don't wanna greet you, because you remind them of their shortcomings from their life before the village.

And today's Pulitzer candidate is... :D

To some Farang, asking what line of work they were in is almost as difficult as asking where they met their wife/teerak/kik or whatever...

One suspects that they have, for some time now, enjoyed the shallower end of the gene pool :)

There are many factors to consider (location, context, your personality, etc); most people answer the question without mentioning those factors.

I don't see the point to "acknowledge" other farangs in supermarkets, malls or on the streets in touristic places like Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket. There are other contexts and / or other cities it would make more sense.

In general I'm a city person and I'm currently in Bangkok, and it wouldn't cross my mind to acknowledge people who are not Thai.

As to Asians acknowledging each other in non-Asian countries, I've never observed that. Ever been to Canada (Van, Montreal, Toronto), New Zealand (Auckland, CC), etc? There are so many Asians it wouldn't even make sense to do that.

Edited by thedistillers

Has apparently all topics regarding Thailand have been repetitively repeated,I suggest all posting on TV be closed and thus only used has a place of reference.Although I,m

not sure what some posters would do to pass the time of day.But before that happens and referring back to the OP,after some attempts to be civil to other farangs and

only being rebuked by them putting their face to the ground I have come to the conclusion of "when in Rome".

I normally find kow-towing quite out of place, and a simple nod or smile suffices. Even when in Rome, I have been taught to accord our hosts no more than we would accord our own sovereign (now there's fighting talk if ever I heard it...).

How do you acknowledge other farang in other countries - for example China, or France, or the United Kingdom?

SC

Hello. :)

Hello (Hej, Godafton) Meadish.

We have not met personally but I hope I do get the opportunity some day. We are blessed to be able to live in such an amazing (albeit challenging) place and I have a feeling that you share that sentiment.

Well, I have to go and pick up the kids from the firing range. It's M79 day and I hear they have take-home prizes. :D

See ya,

NG

.......As to Asians acknowledging each other in non-Asian countries, I've never observed that. Ever been to Canada (Van, Montreal, Toronto), New Zealand (Auckland, CC), etc? There are so many Asians it wouldn't even make sense to do that.

So you have never been in the Polnish marshlands or in the Hungarian Pusta.

Preferably not.

Indeed.

Since 90% of the worlds population are morons I have no intention of racking up friends-points with people I don't know or care for just because they happen to be white. It is not a bonding feature for me.

There must be a golden rule with the expats that I'm now learning, be a happy go guy when you first arrive then turn into a miserable old fart.

Like the OP has mentioned, he don't want tea and biscuits with you.

90% of the worlds population are morons, I love hearing this.

There must be a golden rule with the expats that I'm now learning, be a happy go guy when you first arrive then turn into a miserable old fart.

Like the OP has mentioned, he don't want tea and biscuits with you.

90% of the worlds population are morons, I love hearing this.

I feel sorry for the ones who are left out.

SC

Since 90% of the worlds population are morons I have no intention of racking up friends-points with people I don't know or care for just because they happen to be white. It is not a bonding feature for me.

90%? Where do you fit in that figure? Assuming you have a mother and father and maybe a brother or sister, then if you're not a moron, statistically they are!!

The interesting thing about this topic is the number of times somebody has written in to say they avoid other farangs. I still haven't figured that one out. This is basically a farang forum, and as we've just discovered 90% of us are morons, so why do they join?

In answer to the main question - generally, 'yes'.

Edited by twofortheroad

Regardless, I think I got my point across, which was my main objective. :)

In the meantime;

So stop reading this thread then! You say you are opposed to wasting space, electricity and time and yet you have replied more than anyone else with the same point each time!!

If nobody opposed anything, what would happen?

Also, it's not like that old thread is from last week, I'm sure if you didn't do a search you probably would not have known where to find it, so all this really comes down to is your bloodymindedness of needing to be right and telling everyone how they should post on this forum.

As you have clearly indicated, "I'm sure if you didn't do a search you probably would not have known where to find it".

Strangely, I did conduct a search & I found "it". There is nothing "bloodyminded" about this.

As opposed to your view, I have been wrong on many an occasion & I have been happy to admit it. Maybe I'm wrong about this?

Don't take it personally...this is educational.

BTW, you can abuse me as much as your little heart desires. I have a hide like 'Jesse the elephant'. :D

shut up already , you are pissing every one off with your hollier than thou posts .... you sound like a little Thaksin .... live and let live if you dont like the thread dont read it .... damnit are you so borred and your life so insignificant that you have to police a forum on which you are not even a moderator ....pityful really ...

Regardless, I think I got my point across, which was my main objective. :)

In the meantime;

So stop reading this thread then! You say you are opposed to wasting space, electricity and time and yet you have replied more than anyone else with the same point each time!!

If nobody opposed anything, what would happen?

Also, it's not like that old thread is from last week, I'm sure if you didn't do a search you probably would not have known where to find it, so all this really comes down to is your bloodymindedness of needing to be right and telling everyone how they should post on this forum.

As you have clearly indicated, "I'm sure if you didn't do a search you probably would not have known where to find it".

Strangely, I did conduct a search & I found "it". There is nothing "bloodyminded" about this.

As opposed to your view, I have been wrong on many an occasion & I have been happy to admit it. Maybe I'm wrong about this?

Don't take it personally...this is educational.

BTW, you can abuse me as much as your little heart desires. I have a hide like 'Jesse the elephant'. :D

shut up already , you are pissing every one off with your hollier than thou posts .... you sound like a little Thaksin .... live and let live if you dont like the thread dont read it .... damnit are you so borred and your life so insignificant that you have to police a forum on which you are not even a moderator ....pityful really ...

You can all take offence at my thumb. Its opposable.

SC

Nonetheless, a repetitive thread is exactly that...repetitive.

Well maybe, just maybe, if you hadn't spent your life clocking up well over three thousand posts on this board alone, nit-picking through every single thread just to find things to complain about, you would possibly find a topic that you never read on here before!!

Just saying. :)

Why don't you do a search & find out exactly why I've 'clocked up' over 3000 posts since 2005-09-15 09:35:17?

maybe because you have no social life and have nothing better to do than troll the forum ...... seriously man , i was quietly reading the thread and every 5 post there was a parasite ruining the thread... and this parasite was you , offering nothing but insulting or judging the OP .... seriously man ....get a life

I've got a friend who makes a point of saying hello to foreigners he meets in Thailand, if and only if they are pretending not to have seen him - and especially of they are in out of the way places.

I've got a friend who makes a point of saying hello to foreigners he meets in Thailand, if and only if they are pretending not to have seen him - and especially of they are in out of the way places.

I am really not looking forward to meet other farangs or get acknowledged by them in the street, because i came to thailand to be with thai people and not farangs, but when once in a while i cross a farang in the street or in a shop and he smiles/nods/winks at me or wants to start a conversation i' m always ok even if sometimes i find it awkward, its just being polite and civilized, but why are we supposed connect more because we are both white than if i was thai, or indian, or african is beyond me. truth be told , i had my fair share of weirdos or old " adventurers/know it all " approaching me to speak and generally i listen to them making total asses of themselves, due in part as my job is making movies , so the stories sometimes are good to pick up.

I've lived in a few countries and my experiences have almost always been the same. I love interacting with people and it's in my nature to say hello to ANYONE. But, unfortunately, I had a few bad experiences of ending up listening to some bigot, racist or poorly-opinionated fellow-traveller that made me wish that I had never engaged them in conversation.

That aside, I do try and at least acknowledge other farrangs, quite simply because since being in Thailand (which hasn't been long), I've found it much more of a chore to pretend that I haven't seen them! (of course I see them, they stand out so easily!).

:)

Good to hear both sides of it from the blankers and the blankees, and some of the comedic replies genuinely made me smile a lot.

I think everything I pretty much expected from the blankers was covered and I totally understand why they are that way. a combination of why they came to Thailand in the first place and the experience of other farangs they have dealt with over the years. Regardless, I pray I will always remain to be a blankee as I'm not an anti-social kind of guy or bigot wherever I go and I hope that I never let being in Thailand or the farangs here make me that way.

One thing that people are missing is that I am talking about being in a remote part of Thailand where you don't see another farang for weeks, maybe months. All the people that said they ignore other farangs in Pattaya, I know what you mean, I do too!! But that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I've lived in several remote parts of developing countries over the last decade but Thailand definitely seems to attract or nurture the anti-social live-in farang that I have never experienced so much before.

Five pages and counting Mr Elkangorito so clearly there's something to be said for discussing topics that were archived long ago with new people, so Boo Hoo, for you! :)

Seeing another farang in Bangkok...or Udon Thani for that matter is pretty common so it wouldn't likely attract my attention.

I made a farang sighting in the outdoor village market outside Naklang a couple of years ago. That was certainly out of the way.

As to Asians acknowledging each other in non-Asian countries, I've never observed that. Ever been to Canada (Van, Montreal, Toronto), New Zealand (Auckland, CC), etc? There are so many Asians it wouldn't even make sense to do that.

But the OP stated that he sees very few Caucasians, yet the ones he sees ignore him. As an Asian, I can tell you as a fact that we do acknowledge one another, especially if we live in an area that's not like Toronto, etc. This especially applies to Asian immigrants, like my parents. I grew up in a part of the States that didn't have many Asians. The only friends my mom had were the parents of my few Asian classmates.