Curfew will remain Sunday, Monday's night

webfact

Thailand extends curfew for two more nights

BANGKOK, May 23, 2010 (AFP) - Thailand on Sunday extended a curfew in Bangkok and 23 provinces for two more nights for "security reasons", emergency authorities said.

"The CRES has extended the curfew for two more nights from tonight in Bangkok and 23 provinces from 11pm to 4am for security reasons," an official from the Center for Resolution of Emergency Situation told AFP.

Four nights of curfew have been enforced after a rampage of arson and looting broke out in the capital in the wake of a crackdown on anti-government protests.

The new curfew hours were shorter than previously. The measures had been in force between 9:00 pm and 5:00 am for the past three days.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-23

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, but what about the other provinces? Is the curfew still in effect there, or just Bangkok?

Its being ignored in CM, bit by bit.

Same here in KK, but businesses don't seem to ignore it much. Around 8:30pm, soldiers begin running around, screaming at everyone to go home. So everyone, including little food stalls at the markets, close down. You can still go out without reprecussion, but it's pointless because you can't even barely find sticky rice, let alone going for a night out.

So, anyone know? Am I stocking up on food and stuff at 8pm again tonight, or no worries, because the market will still be open?

:) Well I can live with 11 or midnight here in BKK... Hard to get together evenings to see a movie with friends or have dinner, when the Malls close at 6 or 7 and have to be home by 9.... At least midnight is reasonable.... Wish they would extend the MRT beyond 8 though...

And the young teens who ignored the curfew, trashed the ATM trying to steal money, were returned home by the police! Yeah great curfew and now you can ignore it, try theft and still get a warm bed at home for the night. Why is it that all the chest puffing and 'laws' here are simply statements of convenience and never adhered to? Is this supposed to be an example of power of administration? TIT

I was out with friends last night drinking and playing pool in Rachada tin-shed restaurant. It was a smaller crowd than usual - about 30 Thais and the 3 of us. (2 foreign,1 Thai).

As the curfew time drew closer, people started making a jokes about having to sleep on the floor etc but only a few actually left. At 9 pm the staff turned the front lights off and put a single stick of bamboo across the front entrance to signal they were closed, but the remaining cutsomers hung out down the back.

We left at 9:30, the others remained. We found a taxi no problems at all, but on the way home around 9:45 we got stopped at a roadblock and asked what we were doing out. The cops accepted our excuse (traffic) and let us through no drama at all - didn't have to show ID cards and no attempts to levy any "fines".

We werent in the city centre and its was a pretty relaxed curfew, I saw people walking around when we were looking for a taxi. Pretty soon the govt will lift it, and if they dont, people will increasingly ignore it.

We're being told that peace has returned to Bangkok, so why the need to extend the curfew?

I tried to go to my office in Soi Chidlom on Friday but was not allowed through the last of three Army checkpoints and was informed it was still 'dangerous' in the area.

The curfew must be really bad for many businesses - so there must be some significant issues to warrant an extension?

Curfew in other provinces? And still affects overnight buses/vans right? I was suppose to leave Friday night from Chiangmai to Vientiane. I guess I'll keep waiting. better safe then sorry, plus I would need all provinces from Chiangmai to Nongkhai cleared. :/

We're being told that peace has returned to Bangkok, so why the need to extend the curfew?

I tried to go to my office in Soi Chidlom on Friday but was not allowed through the last of three Army checkpoints and was informed it was still 'dangerous' in the area.

The curfew must be really bad for many businesses - so there must be some significant issues to warrant an extension?

were you here for the significant issues that occured wednesday? Hello, city under siege. They have a lot to clean up, look for any threats and ensure safety.

One thing few are currently looking at is when the curfews are over and the military return to barracks who will provide security considering the police have shown they will not provide protection to citizens against crime from the reds? Dont think the authorites arent thinking about this and dont think the reds arent either.

Here in Chiang Mai Friday night Night Bazaar hardly any sellers. Saturday night almost all sellers there.

Curfew extension very clear Bangkok dosen't say a word about any other provinces.

besides they ran out of tires here in Chiang Mai but they still have a few fire trucks

I vote for a permanent Curfew. stop all the P**s Heads and criminals at night, Shoot them on sight if seen outside in curfew times.

how would you feed :) surely you cant go out in the sunlight :D

On Friday the government said they had just found car bombs in both Chidlom and Ploenchit. Also there was a loud explosion near Rachprasong about 8:45am today, Sunday morning.

This is powers the military will find hard to let go of. Expect the threshold for imposing the curfew in the future to be greatly reduced.

Ohhh, they've relinquished power many times now, so I'm sure they'll be fine. This is getting to be routine for them. :)

Ok, but what about the other provinces? Is the curfew still in effect there, or just Bangkok?

No one is going to bother you about being out after the curfew unless you are trying to get into an area still restricted. The problem is that most businesses will have closed and there is no where to go.

I think it's great that many people here feel they can publicly post their illegal behavior, and even seem to flaunt it. The curfew is there for a reason. If the gov't didn't do what it did when it did, then I think Thailand would have been rapidly moving into a dictatorship. Shouldn't be so hard to just do what they say, regardless of other people's behavior. I fear this attitude that everything the Thai gov't does is stupid comes from lack of respect for who the Thai people are, or ones self fabricated image of being somewhat superior even if by associated through illusion. There is a curfew, respect it. The gov't says do something, do it. become a model citizen, better than your Thai neighbors if you think necessary. Some idiot was flaunting his bad behavior and ended up on YouTube, and everyone called him a dumb ass. I don't see the difference here. :)

Do you guys ever read anything properly-----MTOT---Curfew for BKK AND 23 OTHER PROVINCES----THAT MEANS YOU!!!!!

This is powers the military will find hard to let go of. Expect the threshold for imposing the curfew in the future to be greatly reduced.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on when SOE will be lifted?

Why would the threshold be reduced? It can be imposed whenever the government feels like it anyway. But they would only impose when they feel it is necessary. They are not gaining any local or international support by having a curfew or the SOE. They are doing it because it needs to be done to sort out this mess.

The SOE doesn't effect anyone's ability to live a normal life, but I expect it will be lifted once a few more reds are captured (particularly Arisman) and life gets back to normal around Ratchaprasong.

I vote for a permanent Curfew. stop all the P**s Heads and criminals at night, Shoot them on sight if seen outside in curfew times.

Nah go the whole hog and vote for a permanent 24hours curfew and shoot anyone seen outside, day or night including women and children even if going for food.

:)

Do you guys ever read anything properly-----MTOT---Curfew for BKK AND 23 OTHER PROVINCES----THAT MEANS YOU!!!!!

Mr. Bipolar Bluey ... please look at the time stamps of the posts you are attacking before embarrassing yourself further. CDNMATT posed the question before the 11:45 update.