Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

As for the issue of adding more escalators to the various ARL stations, I noticed this undated news release on the ARL website... Anyone have any idea if any of these promised improvements have actually been done as yet??

In addition, she also reported progress made in the installation of escalators at Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop and Ramkhamhaeng stations that the installation is expected to be implemented in December this year and shall have been completed by June 2012. Meanwhile, other installations at Hua Mak, Ban Thab Chang and Lard Krabang stations shall have been undertaken following the bidding for its escalators in October 2011. The construction is expected to begin in February 2012, and it shall have been finished by August next year.

http://airportrailli..._detail/32.html

Ignore any dates when it is to do with the SRT - in fact ignore any dates when it is to do with any mass transit issue in Bangkok (and Thailand).

The 3 main improvement projects for the ARL that have been allocated funds are;

1) The installation of extra escalators at stations,

2) The missing ARL to MRT link at Makkasan,

3) Joining the Express and Cityline tracks at the western end of the CAT/Makkasan (30m section of track and signalling) to offer through Express services.

(2) and some of (1) has been contracted but still no clear dates for implementation/installation. (3) I am not sure about any timeframe.

Well, they did manage to build and open the ARL... So you wouldn't think completing a single terminal to terminal walkway would be headed for taking just as long to complete as the entire project! wink.pngBTS, by comparison, seems to be able to build new SkyWalks and BTS to major building connections on their routes with relative speed.

Just a reminder as I have stated earlier in the thread. After the MRT opened, it was after 1 year that the BTS-MRT link at Asoke was installed and 2 years before the elevated BTS-MRT link was built at Silom.

With the SRT, everything takes a little longer and with a touch more pain....

The fact is that an express line is not needed. The Express takes 17mins to get to Phaya Thai and the Cityline takes 30mins. That's all of 13 mins difference! If the aiport was over an hour away then yes a direct train would make sense, but it isn't and it doesn't.

Excactly, stupid planners.

All what's needed is a subway type of service, say one train every 5 minutes, efficiency it's called.

See Singapore.

i

The train to and from the Changi airport doesn't operate at 5 min headways, more like 8-12min at half the east-west line headway times. You have take the shuttle train to Tenah Merah , wait a few mins and then have a 10 station ride into the centre of town on the East-West line.

The MRT network wise though yes much more efficient. That is the key, an integrated NETWORK. Singpore does plan to build an express Harbour line direct to the Airport in the future.

Thanks for the update, LG... So, the MRT to ARL link at Makkasan has been contracted, but still with no clear date for implementation.... Don't contracts usually specify particular times required for completion??? whistling.gif

Hmm.... If I had 10 baht for every announcement I've read the past couple years that the link was going to be built soon, I'd be a very wealthy man... But as you've pointed out above, promises relating to transit here are usually just about worth the paper they're printed on.

But by contrast, just in the past few months, someone has taken out the former escalator-aerial bridge link between the BTS Skywalk near Chidlom BTS and the Gaysorn shopping center, and that happened pretty quick. And likewise, someone has built a new aerial bridge connection between the Surasak Station on the Silom line and a new hotel there. And every time a big new condo goes up near one of the newer stations along BTS, someone seems to be able to build those direct connections...

I guess it just goes to prove that when there's money involved, things can happen pretty quickly. But when it's just a matter of providing good service/convenience to customers, that's when progress bogs down to a snail's pace. That's probably the impediment with the missing Makkasan ARL-Petchburi MRT connection.

The 3 main improvement projects for the ARL that have been allocated funds are;

1) The installation of extra escalators at stations,

2) The missing ARL to MRT link at Makkasan,

3) Joining the Express and Cityline tracks at the western end of the CAT/Makkasan (30m section of track and signalling) to offer through Express services.

(2) and some of (1) has been contracted but still no clear dates for implementation/installation. (3) I am not sure about any timeframe.

As for white elephants, I think if you look up the term in a dictionary you see a picture of Makkasan Station with an Express train pulling up and three people (the driver and two policemen) getting out.

The CAT/Makkasan is not the disaster some 'near sighted' folks like to paint it as. It has many design and operational shortcomings which I, and many others, and posted on. It will take an organisation like the SRT some years to improve it which they will do too slowly and in a typical, dysfunctional SRT manner. We all agree it is currently run very poorly. No one is going to defend any of that. You seeming can't see beyond your own limitations of not imagining future needs for the CAT/Makkasan.

We all need to take a long term view having regard to pax growth, the Makkasan railyards redevelopment and most importantly for the near future, the planned eastern HSR for which the ARL will be the backbone. As I have previously posted, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/369458-airport-rail-link-again-sorry/page__st__150:

There is nothing unique about BKK, all would agree that the Check-in facilities are currently too large for what was always going to be a small demand. It is not like Hong Kong where many check in and then go shopping, have meetings or tour around prior to taking the train to the airport. Also, with only two airlines currently offering the service it severely limits the option for many. Another limitation is that the check in is only for Express Line pax which is currently overpriced at 150 baht. 100 baht would make it much more attractive and increase ridership from the current level of around 700 a day and thus check in rates.

However, it will work for a few & demand will gradually increase in the coming years. The most important thing to understand is that the station was built for the future. In 20 years time there whole Makkasan Railyards will be a virtual mini city with many offices, convention centre and condos. Already a couple of condos are being built adjacent to the station and a few new hotels are planned. The station whilst too large now will also be the terminal for all eastern line trains including the planned HSR line to Chonburi and Rayong. Give it a few years to build up.

Had the SRT commissioned the design of a much smaller station, then in 5 years time some would be whining about the fact that it wasn't big enough and couldn't accommodate pax numbers. Given what the ARL connects to, does that sound familiar?

• Like 1

I took the Airport Link last weekend coming back from the airport and exited Makkasan as I tend to do. I took an earlier flight than usual and arrived there (after traversing the quickly re-devolving immigration situation at BKK that had gotten so much better) sometime around 14:00. The Air Asia tram was actually manned and running. I got on not thinking about where it would terminate, but quickly looked ahead when we got moving, saw the gate blocking the road and realized, "Oh, of course, it's going to go about 100 meters and stop." I appreciate the thought and it was nice to be driven a bit, but it does seem kind of humorous.

Normally I tend to fly in later and arrive there after 18:00, so maybe the tram packs up normally after then? I don't know, I just know that I've seen it there unmanned and never running previously, while this time it was running.

@ emilyb Sorry you've lost me, what's The Air Asia Tram?

There's a post earlier on this thread about it (go back one page, post #262 by teatree)

The Airasia sponsored golf cart is free and is to transport passengers to and from the main station entrance to the main road near the MRT.

It is rarely seen in use....

@ emilyb Sorry you've lost me, what's The Air Asia Tram?

It is an electric golf cart/tuk-tuk-like vehicle, in Air Asia livery, which transports people ~ 200 meters between the CAT at Makkasan and a point sort of close to the Petchaburi MRT station. I guess if you are unable to walk it might be somewhat helpful.

It is rarely seen in use....

I use the ARL very often and the tram is always in use. It's there waiting when we get down from the train, people get on, it sets off. I never use it as I consider it pointless and only for extremely lazy people or people who have heavy bags or difficulty walking. Normally it's just full of lazy people.

• 2 weeks later...

As for white elephants, I think if you look up the term in a dictionary you see a picture of Makkasan Station with an Express train pulling up and three people (the driver and two policemen) getting out.

The CAT/Makkasan is not the disaster some 'near sighted' folks like to paint it as. It has many design and operational shortcomings which I, and many others, and posted on. It will take an organisation like the SRT some years to improve it which they will do too slowly and in a typical, dysfunctional SRT manner. We all agree it is currently run very poorly. No one is going to defend any of that. You seeming can't see beyond your own limitations of not imagining future needs for the CAT/Makkasan.

We all need to take a long term view having regard to pax growth, the Makkasan railyards redevelopment and most importantly for the near future, the planned eastern HSR for which the ARL will be the backbone. As I have previously posted, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/369458-airport-rail-link-again-sorry/page__st__150:

There is nothing unique about BKK, all would agree that the Check-in facilities are currently too large for what was always going to be a small demand. It is not like Hong Kong where many check in and then go shopping, have meetings or tour around prior to taking the train to the airport. Also, with only two airlines currently offering the service it severely limits the option for many. Another limitation is that the check in is only for Express Line pax which is currently overpriced at 150 baht. 100 baht would make it much more attractive and increase ridership from the current level of around 700 a day and thus check in rates.

However, it will work for a few & demand will gradually increase in the coming years. The most important thing to understand is that the station was built for the future. In 20 years time there whole Makkasan Railyards will be a virtual mini city with many offices, convention centre and condos. Already a couple of condos are being built adjacent to the station and a few new hotels are planned. The station whilst too large now will also be the terminal for all eastern line trains including the planned HSR line to Chonburi and Rayong. Give it a few years to build up.

Had the SRT commissioned the design of a much smaller station, then in 5 years time some would be whining about the fact that it wasn't big enough and couldn't accommodate pax numbers. Given what the ARL connects to, does that sound familiar?

The HSR platforms are going to be housed in Makkasan station? Hmmm, not so sure about that. As far as I can tell the station was designed purely for the airport link and the throngs of passengers who were supposed to want to use the check in service.

Are you just assuming that it is going to be based in the same station or has it been already planned?

You are correct about one thing. The whole area around Makkasam will boom in the coming years with shops, condos etc. Lots of people will be using the station so what is needed are wide staircases (that allow more than 2 people to walk down side by side) and staircases across the whole of the platform (not one placed either end, creating bottlenecks) perhaps a lift that allows more than 2 people and their luggage inside. Just a little bit of thought about how people will get down to ground level would have been nice.

What is certainly not needed is a huge, empty airport terminal (I've seen international airports that are smaller).

I guess like the designers of the AL you think a nice shiny station with lovely symmetrical stairs is what is important. As long as everything looks nice that is the main thing...the actual practicalites of how it is used is irrelevant, right?

Edited by teatree

What is certainly not needed is a huge, empty airport terminal (I've seen international airports that are smaller).

I guess like the designers of the AL you think a nice shiny station with lovely symmetrical stairs is what is important. As long as everything looks nice that is the main thing...the actual practicalites of how it is used is irrelevant, right?

It is amusing that the City Air Terminal is absolutely huge-mongous, and completely empty, but fully air-conned, while the platform is enclosed in an aluminum oven with no ventilation. ;)

Any idea when the track re-configuration, allowing Express trains from PTY to stop at MAK, will be started/completed? I looked down the tracks west of MAK but couldn't determine if any work was being done. Express trains from PTY still had to divert to the City Line platform as of last week.

The HSR platforms are going to be housed in Makkasan station? Hmmm, not so sure about that. As far as I can tell the station was designed purely for the airport link and the throngs of passengers who were supposed to want to use the check in service.

Are you just assuming that it is going to be based in the same station or has it been already planned?

no assumption, there has only been numerous announcements by the Minister, MOT and SRT for nearly 2 years now whilst discussing the BKK-Rayong HSR. One could do a quick google search to confirm this.

The station was originally 'over designed' with as we will all readily state numerous design flaws and many incorrect assumptions, eg. the large number of check in counters. However, the station was built on a larger scale to allow for 1) future growth (10 car operation) & expansion of the line, ie. the ext to Don Muang, and 2) modification for possible use for future eastern lines once electrification and standardisation plans were implemented (then, a 20-30 timeframe for the SRT).

Subsequent to construction of the CAT starting the Dems dusted off old HSR plans and put extra money into the SRT. One of the options was to use the ARL as the backbone of the Rayong HSR which was always the most likly outcome in the political context of the SRT. A change og govt. leading to a suspension of the plans followed by a review finally reaffirmed this as the preferred model and it it now policy.

Take for granted that my brief summary leaves out much of the policy confusion, dysfunction and cronyism politics that surrounds any infrastructure project in thailand, especially one involving the SRT!

You are correct about one thing. The whole area around Makkasam will boom in the coming years with shops, condos etc. Lots of people will be using the station so what is needed are wide staircases (that allow more than 2 people to walk down side by side) and staircases across the whole of the platform (not one placed either end, creating bottlenecks) perhaps a lift that allows more than 2 people and their luggage inside. Just a little bit of thought about how people will get down to ground level would have been nice.

I agree with you wholeheartedly in respect of the two sentences I bolded. As we all know in Thailand, appearances are everything and more important than practicality or reality, the new airport was a very good example of that - toilets, seats, runways etc. And can you pls show me anywhere in Bangkok where, "Just a little bit of thought about how people will get down to ground level would have been nice," has been implemented? The city is not exactly pedestrian friendly at all. Planners and designers rarely seem to consider much beyond the shiny facade and car entrance.

I am fine with the scale of the terminal. The platforms can accommodate 20 car trains in the future. What is not fine is all of the improvements that need to happen but which are taking a slower than snails pace of time to start. The link to the MRT (funded and contract signed), the extra escalators (funded), the track configuration (funded) but no clear time frame yet - to answer lomo's query above - for a job which could take all of a few weeks max. Extra LCDs screens with train dep info and more timetables around the station etc (I personally pointed out to the station manager numerous times that simply copying the Cityline and Express timetables and posting them at terminal entrances and at the MRT exit would be of great benefit to pax who don't know dep times - I gave up 6 months ago).

There are plenty of station management issues that require attending at the CAT and at the Airport Station. The bigger problem is turning around the Titanic that is the SRT, not exactly a service orientated organisation. It has been underfunded for 5 decades, gutted and used a political vehicle for national and local pollies alike.

Finally, it is getting the funds it needs, being slowly professionalised and restructured for a new era - still with the political games. However, the changes we all need to see on the ground will still take much time given the systemic level of organisational dysfunctional from top to bottom.

I guess the closing comments of LG's above post raise the interesting question of....

As all these different future rail projects progress, expand and are launched, is there going to be any coordination of the system?

Or, are we going to end up with several lines run by BTS, several more lines run by MRT, and several more run by SRT/ARL??? All doing their own thing with little coordination among their partners.

The only long-promised thing that seems to be taking longer than the ill-fated ARL-Petchburi MRT skywalk is the notion of a dual-use ticketing/pass system between BTS and MRT. There have been promises of implementing that for years, and even as of today, nothing seems to be happening.

The only long-promised thing that seems to be taking longer than the ill-fated ARL-Petchburi MRT skywalk is the notion of a dual-use ticketing/pass system between BTS and MRT. There have been promises of implementing that for years, and even as of today, nothing seems to be happening.

While not on topic, I believe the MRT plans to support the Rabbit card by the end of this year. http://www.rabbitcard.com/en/content/rabbit-mrt-year-end-2012-0

Back on topic, there is an ARL stored value card. Any plans to integrate that with the Rabbit card?

On the other hand, the Huamark ARL Station seems to be stuck pretty much in the middle of nowhere in terms of easy walking access to the nearby major thoroughfares. For who knows what reason, it's set a LONG way off of the adjoining Srinakarin Rd... long, as in, you can't even see one from the other.

That's ever such a slight exaggeration there. From the station entrance (bottom of the escalator) to Srinakarin road is 150 metres. It's pretty clearly visible and is possibly a 90 second walk. I use the station often.

Rather than assuming they plonk these stations randomly I think they are a bit smarter than that. If you'd rather move the station 150 metres to be right on Srinakarin Road can you imagine the congestion as cars and taxis stopped to drop off and pick up passengers? You'd be screaming at how idiotic it was to put it there I'm sure. Hua Mark ARL is an extremely busy station and the soi that it is on gets clogged every day with people picking up and dropping off, but at least the main road keeps moving (sort of).

I think the station was placed very deliberately and for good reason and, like I said, it is 150 metres to the main road. That really isn't far. At all. How close do you want?

From the Hua Mark Station to the main road seems a fair bit longer than 150 meters by my reckoning, and certainly longer than a 90 second walk, though I haven't measured or timed it precisely.

It's a long stretch down a narrow road along the regular rail tracks, and no sidewalks, as best as I recall. And whenever I've been there, I don't see anyone making that walk. Everyone seems to be taking taxis, motorcycle taxis or vans/songtheauws.

From the Hua Mark Station to the main road seems a fair bit longer than 150 meters by my reckoning, and certainly longer than a 90 second walk, though I haven't measured or timed it precisely.

Well that's the kind of spoon I am - I measured it on Sunday: precisely 155 metres. From the other end of the station it's a fair bit longer, obviously, but really it's not that far.

It's a long stretch down a narrow road along the regular rail tracks, and no sidewalks, as best as I recall. And whenever I've been there, I don't see anyone making that walk. Everyone seems to be taking taxis, motorcycle taxis or vans/songtheauws.

You're right about that - it's not a pleasant walk as there are no pavements and the road is clogged with lots of badly parked cars. Most people do indeed take motorbikes, taxis or songtheaws directly from the station but they go to wherever they are going - nobody takes them just to the end of the road I can guarantee that.

While not on topic, I believe the MRT plans to support the Rabbit card by the end of this year. http://www.rabbitcar...year-end-2012-0

Back on topic, there is an ARL stored value card. Any plans to integrate that with the Rabbit card?

Yes the MRT stated back in June that they would be Rabbit reading by Dec. Let's see if that happens on time.

No conformation on the SRT making the ARL Rabbit compatible that I have seen, some specualtion but nothing firm? Mid last year the SRT was stating that one there would be a joint MRT and ARL card but that seems to have been superseded by the Rabbit, thankfully.

On the other hand, the Huamark ARL Station seems to be stuck pretty much in the middle of nowhere in terms of easy walking access to the nearby major thoroughfares. For who knows what reason, it's set a LONG way off of the adjoining Srinakarin Rd... long, as in, you can't even see one from the other.

That's ever such a slight exaggeration there. From the station entrance (bottom of the escalator) to Srinakarin road is 150 metres. It's pretty clearly visible and is possibly a 90 second walk. I use the station often.

Rather than assuming they plonk these stations randomly I think they are a bit smarter than that. If you'd rather move the station 150 metres to be right on Srinakarin Road can you imagine the congestion as cars and taxis stopped to drop off and pick up passengers? You'd be screaming at how idiotic it was to put it there I'm sure. Hua Mark ARL is an extremely busy station and the soi that it is on gets clogged every day with people picking up and dropping off, but at least the main road keeps moving (sort of).

I think the station was placed very deliberately and for good reason and, like I said, it is 150 metres to the main road. That really isn't far. At all. How close do you want?

From what I understand there were a number of factors regarding the siting.

Firstly, the SRT wanted to keep the Hua Mark eastern line station (west side of Sri rd) operational without interference during construction of the ARL station. Secondly, the location of the mosque and muslim community land had some restriction on exactly where the station could be located on the east side of Sri rd. I can't remember the exact details. Also, my what I understand there are some future plans to build a flyer over/underpass on Sri rd and Phattana Kan rd. (Usually there is not a lot of co-ord with the Highways Dept).

Lastly, don't forget that the elevated Yellow line will have station (Y10) will be located just north of the ARL line above Sri rd. Also, the Yellow line depot will be located to the east of Hua Mark ARL station. Of course there will be an interchange link built (eventually) between both stations.

Put all that together and somehow you get the station site decision! ;)

The main issue at the station has been the lack of car parking space and last year the SRT allocated some funds to expand the area. It is still a mess and probably in need of a multi storey parking facility which I suggest may be built once the Yellow line opens.

On the 'OMG I don't believe it' front, you'll be pleased to hear that work has finally started on the MRT - ARL pedestrian link. It is happening around the MRT exit north of Phetchburi rd.

See if I can find a pic to post.

Edited by Lakegeneve

From what I understand there were a number of factors regarding the siting.

Firstly, the SRT wanted to keep the Hua Mark eastern line station (west side of Sri rd) operational without interference during construction of the ARL station. Secondly, the location of the mosque and muslim community land had some restriction on exactly where the station could be located on the east side of Sri rd. I can't remember the exact details. Also, my what I understand there are some future plans to build a flyer over/underpass on Sri rd and Phattana Kan rd. (Usually there is not a lot of co-ord with the Highways Dept).

Lastly, don't forget that the elevated Yellow line will have station (Y10) will be located just north of the ARL line above Sri rd. Also, the Yellow line depot will be located to the east of Hua Mark ARL station. Of course there will be an interchange link built (eventually) between both stations.

Put all that together and somehow you get the station site decision! wink.png

The main issue at the station has been the lack of car parking space and last year the SRT allocated some funds to expand the area. It is still a mess and probably in need of a multi storey parking facility which I suggest may be built once the Yellow line opens.

Thanks for the good info LG - it's interesting to know some of the though processes involved. I must admit it does irk me somewhat when people make comments along the lines of "it's too far from the road [150 metres!], typical Thailand" as if the stations are simply randomly and haphazardly placed. The mass transit systems here do have their faults but generally they are quite well designed and thought out.

I wasn't even aware of the yellow line passing through there but it all goes to show that the system is well planned, never mind what the TV naysayers would have you think.

But yes, the parking situation at Hua Mark is a horrible mess and badly needs a multi storey, although I'm not sure there is space for one?

Yes...tsk tsk on all the naysayers...

It's great to know some of the "thought processes" involved...

Even though the ARL does its work without much coordination with the Highways Dept., the parking situation at Hua Mark is "a horrible mess", the ARL Express Line service has been mis-planned relative to the City Line, something in the design of the ARL system was causing the trains parts to wear out prematurely and they couldn't get enough spares to keep all the trains running, etc etc etc.... The list is vastly longer, but I won't bore everyone with all the other details.

Everything's great, except your rose colored glasses are in desperate need of a new prescription.

On the 'OMG I don't believe it' front, you'll be pleased to hear that work has finally started on the MRT - ARL pedestrian link. It is happening around the MRT exit north of Phetchburi rd.

See if I can find a pic to post.

Somehow, I thought that everyone would be excited to hear this news given that we have all been bemoaning the fact that work had not yet started on this vital link?

The small carpark at this exit has now been closed and the area fenced off so you can't miss it.

Yes...tsk tsk on all the naysayers...

It's great to know some of the "thought processes" involved...

Even though the ARL does its work without much coordination with the Highways Dept., the parking situation at Hua Mark is "a horrible mess", the ARL Express Line service has been mis-planned relative to the City Line, something in the design of the ARL system was causing the trains parts to wear out prematurely and they couldn't get enough spares to keep all the trains running, etc etc etc.... The list is vastly longer, but I won't bore everyone with all the other details.

I do believe LG said the SRT doesn't usually coordinate well with the Highways department but in the case of the ARL it actually had. That parking at Hua Mark is a "horrible mess" is simply because it is full and people park with little consideration for through traffic. They have used all the available space for car parking (it's quite sizeable) but it is still usually full. I don't see how this is their fault - there certainly isn't space to build a multi storey car park at the moment, but as LG once again said, they have allocated funds to increase the parking area (presumably by buying adjacent land) and a multistorey car park may be built in the future. Do you actually read the posts? And let's not forget that this is a free parking service. Sorry if there are houses and roads in the way of it being bigger for you.

And yes, I do remember the issues with brake pads wearing out quickly and them not keeping enough spares, although I haven't heard anything about this for a long time now.

Everything's great, except your rose colored glasses are in desperate need of a new prescription.

Nope, my glasses are nicely balanced thank you. Like I said, the mass transit systems here do have their faults, but generally they are well run and well planned. The SRT is certainly the least competent of the group but if you compare the ARL to what's available in other countries it remains a very good and reliable service. Let's take the Heathrow Express as an example. Similar distance, exactly the same journey time, the same rolling stock (although more pleasantly furnished), the same lack of decent check in facilities at Paddington, a service frequently disrupted, more than ten times the cost of the ARL. Imagine forking out close to 1,000 baht every time you wanted to use it! And do you think there is free parking at Paddington?

Overall, for what is still a fairly new system, it does a good job and it will get better. But there are those that simply love to gripe at things here whether it is justified or not, so please continue if it makes you feel better.

Edited by josephbloggs

Overall, for what is still a fairly new system, it does a good job and it will get better. But there are those that simply love to gripe at things here whether it is justified or not, so please continue if it makes you feel better.

In the case of SRT-ARL, it is most certainly justified to gripe about their obvious failings.

I'm a big fan of rail mass transit in BKK in its various forms, and anyone reading my comments over time here would know that.

But at the same time, apparently unlike you, I'm also not going to be blind to the many mistakes and problems that have plagued SRT's implementation of the ARL.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK