Defense Minister Concerned About Plots To Kill Thai Govt Leaders

webfact

Defense Minister Concerned about Plots to Kill Govt Leaders

BANGKOK: -- The defense minister has expressed concern over possible attempts on the lives of top government leaders, asking those who are campaigning against the government underground to stop their movement and join the peace-building process.

Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan accepted he is worried about possible attempts to assassinate top government figures but he has already coordinated with related agencies to implement safety measures for them.

As for security measures for the prime minister, General Prawit said the readjustment rests on the consideration of the premier and officials concerned.

The minister called on those who are running their political campaign underground to terminate their move and join the national reconciliation campaign.

The general insisted the state of emergency must be kept in place for a while, along with the close watch on armed groups and speedy legal action against suspects who have been issued arrest warrants in response to the recent unrest.

He also cited the consideration of the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation about whether to extend the curfew, which is scheduled to end tomorrow, will rely on information about security in Bangkok and provinces under the emergency rule.

General Prawit added his ministry is ready to coordinate with the Foreign Affairs Ministry, the Department of Special Investigation and the Attorney-General's Office in the legal campaign related to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who has an arrest warrant on terrorism charge out against him.

Defending criticism on the hefty budget for the military in the 2011 fiscal year, the minister insisted 80 percent of the amount is for the salary of its officers, personnel training and development programs while the purchase of weapons will be considered on a year-by-year basis.

He also said the meeting of the National Security Council discussed the national reconciliation efforts.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had several officers tell me their salaries over the years, if 80% of the 2011 budget goes toward officer salaries, personal training and development programs, the latter two must surpass the more modern militaries around the world.

Having had several officers tell me their salaries over the years, if 80% of the 2011 budget goes toward officer salaries, personal training and development programs, the latter two must surpass the more modern militaries around the world.

Ah but which officers, and how many are there?

Having read there are around 700 Generals in Thailand drawing salaries how does this compare on a world ranking I wonder? Any experts out there?

Will Seh daeng be considered top government leader?

Anyway, it is too late.

He is dead.

No. first because he was not in the government and 2nd because he was a crazy, egotistical zealot who let him self become Thaksins rabid dog. You put down rabid dogs.

Edited by thaicbr

Anyway, it is too late.

He is dead.

No. first because he was not in the government and 2nd because he was a crazy, egotistical zealot who let him self become Thaksins rabid dog. You put down rabid dogs.

But he did get a royal funeral.

As though it really matter for him?

Anyway, it is too late.

He is dead.

Did he ?

Can I ask a slightly off topic question: Why are the sentences handed out by the courts so lenient? I mean isn't going to prison supposed to be a deterrent to crime and if you are only sent to prison for a short time, where is the deterrent? So if people get such lenient sentences there is no incentive to give up crime? So if Taksin does return to Thailand and does get prosecuted, will he be able to pay money and not spend any time in prison? What I mean is some terrible acts have occurred and the people who did them get off with such lenient sentences that there is no incentive to give up crime. So why don't we all just become criminals and give up the poorly paid day jobs?

Anyway, it is too late.

He is dead.

Correct me if I am wrong, the royal family paid for his funeral according to news coverage.

Anyway, it is too late.

He is dead.

Correct me if I am wrong, the royal family paid for his funeral according to news coverage.

You are correct.

""Their Majesties sponsor Seh Daeng's funeral

By The Nation

Published on May 18, 2010

Their Majesties the King and Queen will graciously sponsor the funeral of Maj-General Khattiya "Seh Daeng" Sawasdipol who succumbed to brain injuries yesterday morning.""

The Nation

Violent crackdown.

Banning opposition media.

Removing/side-lining non aligned civil servants, police ect.

Censorship.

Spurious charges against opposition figures.

Targeted assassination of opposition figure.

Demonising entire sections of the country.

Demonising foreign media.

Use of LM laws.

SOE and continuing curfews.

I course I could be wrong and Thailand is now headed for a bright future.

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

You are wrong and right. Thaksin addiction creates a lost of perception of reality, but the repressed perception of reality already comes out: "Thailand is now headed for a bright future."

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

lame post

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

Which particular Thai government does this list refer to ?

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

Violent Terrorist activities

Opposition media used to incite violence

Police and civil servants failed to do their jobs, deserve to be removed

censorship is better than allowing hate speech to go unchecked

serious charges against opposition figures are justified

Assassination of a traitor and terrorist, totally understandable

Sections of the country acting like demons

Foreign media seriously uninformed and biased

LM laws aren't new, people should know better

SOE and curfew are a result of protesters causing emergencies

Thailand will have a brighter future without reds rioting in the streets.

It might be wise to monitor some communications between Montenegro and Thailand....Just in case...

They should monitor not just some but all the communication between Thaksin, family and friends.

Not sure what is wrong with this government to act on the evidences they have to put stop on this terrorism acts. I am sure they can get help from US anytime they need and want

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

You are wrong and right. Thaksin addiction creates a lost of perception of reality, but the repressed perception of reality already comes out: "Thailand is now headed for a bright future."

Adiction is a good word for it too.

The sense that someone cares about you can make people act differently.

If in a kow tow society that person is fabulously wealthy and still recognizes you and your neighbors,

could be considered life changing for some, and makes no difference that this uber mensch,

is doing this not for you, but for his own ends, has nothing to do with the good feeling of inclusion he gives.

If this 'attention' is repeated often enough a 'NEED' arises in the recipient for more of this good feeling.

Add to that crowd entrainment and being part of a group that reacts as one, it is a release of energy and

endorphines towards the pleasure synapses of the brain and that can be very addicting in the literal sense.

A body created opioid type compound released during the rush of group concentration on a narrow subject.

Join the crowd, and be at one with the crowd, and react with the crowd; it all creates a mental state,

that often enough repeated becomes a 'need', very akin to addiction to an external substance.

Not dissimilar to 'Adrenalin Junkies'; those that take regular risks because they feed off the rush of danger.

Then in this state a message is delivered over and over again to people at their most receptive,

and to exclusion of all other counter information. Then cut the chord, shut off the light, close the door.

Stop the rally, full reverse. Withdrawals commence and fear and anger and denial and often violent impulses.

The need remains but is unfocused and in search of an outlet.

A dangerous state. Especially if there now is the sense of a righteous crusade involved, and revenge

at an perceived enemy of those that made you 'feel good', and in the process also gave you a focus for

all that you dislike. A bogeyman to blame misfortune on, and that has 'removed the 'good times' from your life.

Then add some weapons, and a narrow focussed group think of revenge...and go underground.

Desperate people, needing to get back the good feeling, and destroy those that

they were led believe took it from them. Bad juju for sure.

Edited by animatic

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

Violent Terrorist activities

Opposition media used to incite violence

Police and civil servants failed to do their jobs, deserve to be removed

censorship is better than allowing hate speech to go unchecked

serious charges against opposition figures are justified

Assassination of a traitor and terrorist, totally understandable

Sections of the country acting like demons

Foreign media seriously uninformed and biased

LM laws aren't new, people should know better

SOE and curfew are a result of protesters causing emergencies

Thailand will have a brighter future without reds rioting in the streets.

There isn't much rioting down south either.

Perception is reality and the red shirts believe there is a double standard

being applied politically and by the courts. People will turn to other means

if they feel alienated enough just like the south.

Edited by asiancup2007

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

1) Violent crackdown in doing their duty to protect the civil rights millions of citizens of Bangkok against armed insurgents holding the center of Bangkok for some 60 days. The same insurgent terrorists who killed 11 security personnel and injured hundreds more. The same terrorists who burned down some 38 buildings causing billions of baht in property damage and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

2) Banning opposition media who acted in contravention of the constitution of Thailand. The same media who would be banned in most western nations for inciting violence and imminent lawlessness.

3) Censorship of the same media as mentioned in number two under the very same laws.

4) Spurious charges? Pure speculation as nobody has seen the evidence. Police show the evidence to prosecutors. Prosecutors determine whether to proceed with a trial. Judges determine the validity of the evidence. Throughout the world the evidence is rarely made public except during the trial phase.

5) Targeted assassination against opposition figures? Nobody knows who killed Seh Daeng. How about the assassination attempt on Abhisit last year, or Sondhi, or the successful assassination of Col. Romklao and the maiming of his aides?

6) Demonizing entire segments of the country? It is my understanding the throughout the protests the government carefully delineated between the average protester and the armed militants mingling with them. There are numerous public statements about this. So what was that you were saying?

7) Demonizing foreign media is correct. The foreign media's diligence throughout the crisis has been subpar, as has domestic media. At least the government didn't actively target media personnel, unlike the reds.

8) LM is the law. Any Thai government has no choice but to prosecute LM charges when there is clear evidence. Would you prefer that the government ignores existing laws?

9) SOE was absolutely necessary. I don't even need to comment about that. Regarding the curfews, I personally think they are warranted. I am not privy to all of the information the government has about existing threats from terrorists. I and my family are more than willing to stay in between the hours of midnight and 4:00 am if it provides greater security and safety for all.

Ah but which officers, and how many are there?

Having read there are around 700 Generals in Thailand drawing salaries how does this compare on a world ranking I wonder? Any experts out there?

From various Googled sources;

"As of February 28, 2009 1,454,515 people are on active duty in the U.S. military with an additional 848,000 people in the seven reserve components."

"There are only 11 generals on active duty in the U.S. Army. Fewer than one-half percent of commissioned officers make it to the top three ranks of Army general. In all, there can be only 302 general officers (generals, lieutenant generals, major generals and brigadier generals) in the U.S. Army. "

Violent crackdown.

Censorship.

Use of LM laws.

1) Violent crackdown in doing their duty to protect the civil rights millions of citizens of Bangkok against armed insurgents holding the center of Bangkok for some 60 days. The same insurgent terrorists who killed 11 security personnel and injured hundreds more. The same terrorists who burned down some 38 buildings causing billions of baht in property damage and tens of thousands of lost jobs.

2) Banning opposition media who acted in contravention of the constitution of Thailand. The same media who would be banned in most western nations for inciting violence and imminent lawlessness.

3) Censorship of the same media as mentioned in number two under the very same laws.

4) Spurious charges? Pure speculation as nobody has seen the evidence. Police show the evidence to prosecutors. Prosecutors determine whether to proceed with a trial. Judges determine the validity of the evidence. Throughout the world the evidence is rarely made public except during the trial phase.

5) Targeted assassination against opposition figures? Nobody knows who killed Seh Daeng. How about the assassination attempt on Abhisit last year, or Sondhi, or the successful assassination of Col. Romklao and the maiming of his aides?

6) Demonizing entire segments of the country? It is my understanding the throughout the protests the government carefully delineated between the average protester and the armed militants mingling with them. There are numerous public statements about this. So what was that you were saying?

7) Demonizing foreign media is correct. The foreign media's diligence throughout the crisis has been subpar, as has domestic media. At least the government didn't actively target media personnel, unlike the reds.

8) LM is the law. Any Thai government has no choice but to prosecute LM charges when there is clear evidence. Would you prefer that the government ignores existing laws?

9) SOE was absolutely necessary. I don't even need to comment about that. Regarding the curfews, I personally think they are warranted. I am not privy to all of the information the government has about existing threats from terrorists. I and my family are more than willing to stay in between the hours of midnight and 4:00 am if it provides greater security and safety for all.

AMEN! , go home to the uk.... or dare you Us and see how long any of this behavior is tolerated.....And do please let us know if your ever let out of gitmo :)

One word: Duh.

Eloquence in thought and speach as a lifestyle choice...

I guess not.

I thought it's a proper post to the initial post, I'm sorry. Every government around the world should be concerned about plots to kill their leaders. Every government around the world has enemies in their own country. There are countless people who would take a shot at Obama, Berlusconi, Sarkozy, etc.

So this "news" is stating nothing more than the obvious. Hence, my "Duh".