Thaksin Puts The Battle On World Stage

webfact

ASK THE EDITOR

Thaksin puts the battle on world stage

By Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin Shinawatra and his lawyer Robert Amsterdam were a busy couple this week. Their barrage of media interviews unveiled their lines of defence in the face of an arrest warrant approved by the Thai Criminal Court in connection with "terrorism" charges levelled against the former prime minister by the Thai government.

Here's what they are telling the world: Government agents burnt down the CentralWorld in a well-planned and professionally executed operation to frame the protesters; Thaksin did not fund the red shirts' rally; and seized weapons were a set-up.

With that, our speculation that the battles now have shifted from Bangkok streets to the international stage is confirmed. The wide-ranging media war, first fuelled by the CNN controversy, will very likely become more heated.

We had heard the other side's version of the story. The government insisted the seized weapons, the M79 attacks on Silom, and the Army casualties on April 10 pointed to the red shirts being backed by an armed element. The apparently systematic arson attacks on May 19 followed open, if not outrageous, threats by protest leaders that Bangkok could be hit by fiery rioting.

Few people believe Thaksin will be apprehended and extradited to Thailand that easily. But the terrorism warrant will make his life harder. In fact, various governments that have been able to look the other way as Thaksin popped up on their soil will also find their lives more difficult. Charges that Thaksin was behind an arson spree in the Thai capital are a far cry from his role in his ex-wife's purchase of a piece of land.

The Abhisit government, however, faces the burden of proof. It has shown video clips of red-shirt leaders threatening to burn, loot and wreak havoc in Bangkok - but Thaksin did not say anything of that sort during his video-link addresses to the protesters. This is where financial evidence or secret communications that we never knew about must come in to prove his guilt.

Thaksin, or his video-link to be exact, conspicuously disappeared from the red shirts' stage once they completely moved the rally site to Rajprasong. As with many things about the Thai political crisis, the disappearance could be interpreted two ways. Either he sincerely wanted the movement to move "beyond" him and turn into a real pro-democracy campaign, or he knew the legal implications of his continued presence as the de facto red leader.

Thaksin amended the Criminal Code while he was in power, purportedly to make it easier to deal with the yellow shirts' controversial anti-government activities. The new law listed action that affects state properties, disrupts public transport or causes serious damage to the economy, among others, as acts of terrorism. This means whereas the red shirts might be able to get away with the rally at Phan Fa Bridge, the occupation of the Rajprasong intersection borders on an act of terrorism itself, with or without the arson.

The Rajprasong seizure caused massive economic damage, evident in the closure of big malls and first-class hotels. In addition to that, M79 bombs rained on Silom one night, disrupting the BTS and MRT and causing casualties. And just a few days before the tragic day of May 19, grenades were fired at the Dusit Thani Hotel, further nailing the Thai tourism industry.

Thanks largely to the law he effected, and additional threats of civil suits, Thaksin can't be linked with Rajprasong and he and his lawyer know that. How much weight his "disappearance" - which sparked his "death" rumours - will have on the international stage remains to be seen. And that disappearance will be weighed against such messages as the one he said to the red shirts just before he went missing: "Are you tired now of trying to bring me home?"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin amended the Criminal Code while he was in power, purportedly to make it easier to deal with the yellow shirts' controversial anti-government activities. The new law listed action that affects state properties, disrupts public transport or causes serious damage to the economy, among others, as acts of terrorism. This means whereas the red shirts might be able to get away with the rally at Phan Fa Bridge, the occupation of the Rajprasong intersection borders on an act of terrorism itself, with or without the arson.

So it's completely Thaksin's fault that the red leaders are charged as terrorists. :D:)

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin Shinawatra and his lawyer Robert Amsterdam were a busy couple this week. Their barrage of media interviews unveiled their lines of defence in the face of an arrest warrant approved by the Thai Criminal Court in connection with "terrorism" charges levelled against the former prime minister by the Thai government.

Here's what they are telling the world: Government agents burnt down the CentralWorld in a well-planned and professionally executed operation to frame the protesters; Thaksin did not fund the red shirts' rally; and seized weapons were a set-up.

Telling these outrageous lies does nothing but strongly suggest guilt. :)

The funny thing about putting it onto the world stage is that a global audience gets to judge.

Yesterday the reds riots were replaced on the news with the Jamaican government declaring an SOE with multiple deaths caused in order to arrest Christopher Coke (no that is his real name) at the request of the American arrest warrant. This man is wanted on drugs and arms smuggling charges in the US.

Small country trying to clear up drugs under pressure from the US.

Meanwhile, we have the BBC stating "And the Thai government has issued an arrest warrant on charges of terrorism against Mr. Thaksin Shinawat. He was deposed in a coup in 2006".

Small country with very serious interior problems with its democracy and an overactive army.

So tell me, which story do you think the worlds media is finding it easier to get behind?

After the reds last escapade, I would say that politically the Dems are now standing about well above Thaksin in the moral high ground stakes. The reds screwed the pooch 2 weeks ago, and finally after getting put in by army intervention and the such, the dems finally can point the finger at the outrageous reds behaviour.

They still have to get rid of Kasit though.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The funny thing about putting it onto the world stage is that a global audience gets to judge.

Yesterday the reds riots were replaced on the news with the Jamaican government declaring an SOE with multiple deaths caused in order to arrest Christopher Coke (no that is his real name) at the request of the American arrest warrant. This man is wanted on drugs and arms smuggling charges in the US.

Meanwhile, we have the BBC stating "And the Thai government has issued an arrest warrant on charges of terrorism against Mr. Thaksin Shinawat. He was deposed in a coup in 2006".

Small country with very serious interior problems with its democracy and an overactive army.

So tell me, which story do you think the worlds media is finding it easier to get behind?

After the reds last escapade, I would say that politically the Dems are now standing about well above Thaksin in the moral high ground stakes. The reds screwed the pooch 2 weeks ago, and finally after getting put in by army intervention and the such, the dems finally can point the finger at the outrageous reds behaviour.

"And the Thai government has issued an arrest warrant on charges of terrorism against Mr. Thaksin Shinawat. He was deposed in a coup in 2006"

Hahaha. I like the front bit better.

"And the Thai government has issued an arrest warrant on charges of terrorism against Mr. Thaksin Shinawat. He was deposed in a coup in 2006"

Hahaha. I like the front bit better.

That was the line they had until a day or so ago. I am not surprised that the Beeb is taking this line, what with Jonathan Head being up on lese majeste charges. Journalists tend to stick together.

Global audience doesn't give a rats ass about Thaksin or his claims. In case you guys haven't noticed, there is a major environmental catastrophe in progress, and two nuclear powers seem determined to start shooting at each other. Thaksin doesn't even merit a blip on the radar. He is Thailand's problem, and they would be better off ignoring him completely.

sure he is "innocent" like a stillborn baby....

but he has his points and always say's what he thinks and in every bit of his statements there is a part of the truth, he is just a very bad storyteller:

In his interview with The Globe and Mail ("Fugitive Former Thai Leader Warns of Further Violence", also published yesterday),
"The protesters, they were very angry. They were ready to die because they feel the injustice against them. They want to fight," Thaksin was quoted as saying. "Those who survived are very angry. It's not a good sign. I am very worried, I worry about the anger and I worry the government has cornered them instead of talking to them."

How come he knows all this so well... stying away from it all?

The government uses the word reconciliation, then creates more conflict."

who came with more request's on the very day the agreement about the "Road map" was supposed to happen...

is it the government who set's the deadlines or is it up to the "protesters"?

If it's up to the protesters, then who holds whom hostage?

"In my mind I always advocate peaceful protest and I always support my own people that we, Thailand, needs reconciliation. I'm always saying that and I always be."

Well, how about the YouTube VDO from last years "black Songkran" where he calls for a "peoples Revolution"?

Time will show.... there are plenty, plenty of indicators that point into his direction - way too many!

For that he took his image and fingers "off the board" way too late!

But it's his nature - he might still believe that, with the stars, the spirits and loads of money, some good acquaintances in the right positions.. he can win and make his come back - one never knows - TiT!

it's by far not over yet - he won't stop at nothing!

Edited by Samuian

Does anyone else on this forum see a striking resemblance of events in the past in the Middle East? A tourist haven there by the name of Beirut, Lebanon, reaped the benefits of the money and power of the tourist trade and being a central hub of economic and financial dealings, when lo and behold, internal strife took her down off her perch as a central figure of the region. Looks like it may have found its way to the Land of Smiles.

How much weight his "disappearance" - which sparked his "death" rumours - will have on the international stage remains to be seen.

Hello?

Wasn't there a lot of photos of Thaksin posted on his facebook page, twitter comments and even a video with reporters in Montenegro. Thaksin telling the public where he is and what he does at the moment.

But the photos where declared to be products of photoshop, the video must have been from long time ago, twitter statements fake and so on and so on. you could read about it in The Nation.

So it's completely Thaksin's fault that the red leaders are charged as terrorists. :D:)

Yes it is, he is the head terrorist

let the world see what these man has done by ordering the Red Shirt to do. What he paid, what he said through his phone calls, videos, etc. etc.

How much weight his "disappearance" - which sparked his "death" rumours - will have on the international stage remains to be seen.

Hello?

Wasn't there a lot of photos of Thaksin posted on his facebook page, twitter comments and even a video with reporters in Montenegro. Thaksin telling the public where he is and what he does at the moment.

But the photos where declared to be products of photoshop, the video must have been from long time ago, twitter statements fake and so on and so on. you could read about it in The Nation.

Why do you think Thaksin was doing that? Quite an effort. Especially taking a shopping trip to Paris precisely before the burning of Bangkok began. Now he's telling the international community "See, I was in Paris shopping, so, I'm innocent". Less than one in a million Westerners will buy such arguments.

Telling these outrageous lies does nothing but strongly suggest guilt. :D

Taksin must think all of us in the world are stupid and he is above us all... It annoys me that he always turns things around and accuses the opossition of the exact acts that he does- it has been his way for over a decade.

Many saw this man coming a mile away and long ago- his ambition reaks of greed, corruption and arrogance towards all of us. :D

Money can buy substancial power in developing countries. The sooner people like Taksin ared done and dusted, Thailand can emerge from its corrupt and developing world status. :)

Thailand needs leadership for the 'People', not for themselves... :D

Taksin is not your man... He is for himself.

Hello?

Why do you think Thaksin was doing that? Quite an effort. Especially taking a shopping trip to Paris precisely before the burning of Bangkok began. Now he's telling the international community "See, I was in Paris shopping, so, I'm innocent". Less than one in a million Westerners will buy such arguments.

Yes, it is not really an alibi.

Telling these outrageous lies does nothing but strongly suggest guilt. :D

Taksin must think all of us in the world are stupid and he is above us all... It annoys me that he always turns things around and accuses the opossition of the exact acts that he does- it has been his way for over a decade.

Many saw this man coming a mile away and long ago- his ambition reaks of greed, corruption and arrogance towards all of us. :D

Money can buy substancial power in developing countries. The sooner people like Taksin ared done and dusted, Thailand can emerge from its corrupt and developing world status. :)

Thailand needs leadership for the 'People', not for themselves... :D

Taksin is not your man... He is for himself.

Just being a little pedantic here...can we all spell the despot's name correctly...it is Thaksin

Taksin was a great King who defeated Burma and is held in high reverance by many Thai people

Hello?

The photo shopping in Paris where taken by another customer in the store. than it made it to the frontpages in Thailand. 'Thaksin exposed'. Do you think that was a set up by Thaksin, 'leaked' by his PR team? same as the death rumours and so on? so hat the evil master mind has an alibi?

The "international community" of patrons of the beer bars in thailand maybe think it is proven that he is the terrorist. for them Thaksin could do whatever, they always will twisted somehow that he is guilty of everythink.

But the real international community, the sober state official, diplomats and media dudes aren't so easily convinced by this silly logic of the arguments and conspiracy theories and bar talks of the true thailand 'experts'.

get real.

edit: added PS

PS. please follow this board rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Edited by mazeltov

Hello?

The photo shopping in Paris where taken by another customer in the store. than it made it to the frontpages in Thailand. 'Thaksin exposed'. Do you think that was a set up by Thaksin, 'leaked' by his PR team? same as the death rumours and so on? so hat the evil master mind has an alibi?

The "international community" of patrons of the beer bars in thailand maybe think it is proven that he is the terrorist. for them Thaksin could do whatever, they always will twisted somehow that he is guilty of everythink.

But the real international community, the sober state official, diplomats and media dudes aren't so easily convinced by this silly logic of the arguments and conspiracy theories and bar talks of the true thailand 'experts'.

get real.

Am real, but not invested in the story.

If you believe such trite, oh, just a passer by snapping a photo that now becomes his lawyer's main line of defense, then I have some websites for you to read.

Edit: bold portions of quotation highlighted by poster for emphasis and to maintain quotation in context.

Edited by rabo

Hello?

get real.

edit: added PS

PS. please follow this board rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Yes but he is now exploiting this photo, taken by 'another customer' & usuing it in his interviews to the world press.

The definition of terrorism in this article makes it pretty clear that PAD's seizure was an act of terrorism. 18 months and still not one arrest warrant has been issued. The investigation has been almost 100% complete for more than a year now.

The definition of terrorism in this article makes it pretty clear that PAD's seizure was an act of terrorism. 18 months and still not one arrest warrant has been issued. The investigation has been almost 100% complete for more than a year now.

I thought many of the yellow shirt leaders have already turned themselves into the police. Cases are in progress.

. The sooner people like Taksin ared done and dusted, Thailand can emerge from its corrupt and developing world status. :)

This comment is truly idiot.

Thailand has always been a broken state for a century. Majority of Thais suffer in poor living condition.

Thaksin's success leading the country result in landslide victory ( twice). His proxies also won, His another prox IS also going to win.

That must be hard to digest. And the insulting claim such as vote-buying is surely not enough to drag him down.

Thailand in Thaksin era is substantial better off in many ways comparing to any other Govs in decades.

Now there are truths and facts behind the cover.

Thaksin doesnt believe in democracy shit. While he was in office, he severed the eliles well.. very well.

Even his war on drug ( 2000+ dead @#$ ) got 95%+ approval from every single poll.

Killings in southern didnt make BKK hate him.

Why ?

Because BKK benefits at the time allied with Thaksin.

The thing is when his share was too big til the elite colony got jealous. And finally teamming up to kick him out.

The Red and yellow both are turned into some sorts of human tools in this game.

Now, with stupid terrorist charges, international community will look at Thailand as a kid school where immature kids fighting each other - which no country should pay attention to.

Edited by shrekroma

get real.

If you believe such trite, oh, just a passer by snapping a photo that now becomes his lawyer's main line of defense, then I have some websites for you to read.

Edit: bold portions of quotation highlighted by poster for emphasis and to maintain quotation in context.

his lawyers main line of defense? where did you get that from?

about the photo:

A Thai residing in Paris was quoted as saying that on 15 May, her Malaysian friend had caught and taken a few photographs of Mr Thaksin while shopping with one of his daughter, Ms Paethongtan, in the mentioned shop in a relaxing mood. The lady said her friend was trying to take more photos of the ex-premier but had been obstructed by his guards.

18 May 2010 (NNT)

Cybercitizens have attacked former ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatara on web boards as photos of him shopping in France spread like wildfire on the internet.

The pictures, taken by a Thai expat residing in France showed Mr Thaksin shopping in a Louis Vuitton shop in France’s upscale shopping avenue, Champs-Élysées. Mr Thaksin was seen to be smiling, in the store with his daughter Praethongtan Shinawatara. The photos were taken on 15 May 2010 and the National Broadcasting of Thailand (NBT) was the first to retrieve the images.

19 May 2010 (NNT)

and you are now saying that the photo and the 'news' about his shopping tour in Paris made it to the Thai TV, the newspapers and the internet 10 days ago was all well planned by Thaksin himself so that he has an alibi for the upcoming terrorism charges?

and you have websites? cool!!! have a link too? please post, i like lunatic conspiracy theories.

All those in PAD liable to be charged have had their warrants issued,

and they went to police and acknowledged the charges.

What hasn't happened is anything past preliminary court appearances.

I mean really,

try and have some actual commonly known facts before you sound off.

Yes, justice has been on the standard 2 year slow framework of Thai justice,

but that ALSO went for much of Thaksin's cases too.

"almost 100% complete" the almost is the big point.

It must be 100% complete and done in the usual neurotic fashion before the court moves on it.

get real.

his lawyers main line of defense? where did you get that from?

about the photo:

A Thai residing in Paris was quoted as saying that on 15 May, her Malaysian friend had caught and taken a few photographs of Mr Thaksin while shopping with one of his daughter, Ms Paethongtan, in the mentioned shop in a relaxing mood. The lady said her friend was trying to take more photos of the ex-premier but had been obstructed by his guards.

18 May 2010 (NNT)

Cybercitizens have attacked former ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatara on web boards as photos of him shopping in France spread like wildfire on the internet.

The pictures, taken by a Thai expat residing in France showed Mr Thaksin shopping in a Louis Vuitton shop in France's upscale shopping avenue, Champs-Élysées. Mr Thaksin was seen to be smiling, in the store with his daughter Praethongtan Shinawatara. The photos were taken on 15 May 2010 and the National Broadcasting of Thailand (NBT) was the first to retrieve the images.

19 May 2010 (NNT)

and you are now saying that the photo and the 'news' about his shopping tour in Paris made it to the Thai TV, the newspapers and the internet 10 days ago was all well planned by Thaksin himself so that he has an alibi for the upcoming terrorism charges?

and you have websites? cool!!! have a link too? please post, i like lunatic conspiracy theories.

That is obvious to all.

So it's completely Thaksin's fault that the red leaders are charged as terrorists. :D:D

Lets not forget the Yellow Shirts shut down the airport in 2008, This disrupted the economy and also the transportation system. Where are the mass arrests from this. :)

What is good for one is good for the other.

It isn't too hard to see where the world's media will turn its gaze to, I download the ABC Radio Australia's Asia Pacific & the BBC Newspod programmes neither have mentioned Thailand since the bullets stopped flying despite both counties having citizens arrested in the wake.

Edited by Stjohnm