Fork And Spoon

lazurus

Prefered Utensils  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Constantly amazed at seeing guys (often longterm stayers) who still insist on using a knife and fork for Thai food.. Adapt to the local style and you will find it much easier to eat rice, curries and seperate fish from its bones. If I have a steak I use a knife as it's appropriate but why struggle trying to eat Asian food with Western impliments ? The only thing that makes me laugh harder is seeing somebody try to eat rice with chopsticks from a flat Western plate... :) Each Asian country has it's own 'rules' about what to eat with which implements.. Watch and learn from the locals and it's easy... Surely learning something new is part of the reason to visit foreign countries ?

Where's me fork'n'spoon?

In Thailand I eat Thai food with a fork and spoon or chopsticks whichever is available. Knife and fork is reserved for western food that warrants such implements.

I't a case of whatever is most suited to the task and I can't think of a Thai dish that warrants a knife but I'm sure there must be one somewhere. In the case of chicked or ribs I follow the old rule that if it has a bone in it it is acceptable to use your fingers.

I carry a 'Old Timer' in my pocket for when I need a knife. Opening a beer bottle, cutting the plastic around a sealed bottle when the dang thing breaks, opening a tin of sardines when key is missing, cleaning shrimp that were not purged, etc A spoon will cut most meats if required and the fork can be used to pick bones out of the fish or other dishes. Sticky rice with the fingers, dip, with use of thumb for side dishes even works. Chop sticks are fine with a round robin table, if that is what is presented. I do admit that peanuts with my beer and the chop sticks can be frustrating just due to the quantity consumed (prefer a spoon or fingers) But whatever utensils are presented I do not go hungry.

what Thai food do you need a knife for?

if you order a steak you get a knife otherwise the friendly cook has already chopped / diced and cut the meat into baby size chunks for you....

blender!

but then Som Tam comes already out a "pounder",

and the chicken/dried/grilled meat, fish is ususaly bite size,

living in asia for a long time, i find it very strange to have a

large lump of meat on your plate for your very own... but then...

There is a Tibetan utility that can be carried on a belt - it has two little

carving knives one larger one, chop sticks and there are varieties which do feature spoon and fork as well@!

Another way out of this misery is to just carry a transportable cutlery container around!

I mean there are 5 course dinner table setting - one needs a map to coordinate through all the tableware that has been placed in front...

if you order a steak you get a knife otherwise the friendly cook has already chopped / diced and cut the meat into baby size chunks for you....

But they still give you a fork that bends double when you try to skewer the steak. :)

But they still give you a fork that bends double when you try to skewer the steak. :)

Ever seen a local using the fork to skewer something with it?

It's exceptionally used to help food on to the spoon and 'arrange food stuffson theplate....

while in Rome, do as the Romans do!

.............up to everyone, if you want you can eat your food directly from the floor by mouth while making a head stand :D

But certain people have invented certain tools to eat their food for some reasons. :)

Edited by Birdman

But they still give you a fork that bends double when you try to skewer the steak. :D

:) Yeah you're right...lets start another thread...

Why are Thai soups spoons strong as 'ell and can chop meat using the side but a serrated steak knife just bends and folds and hacks through the meat...

Another <deleted> piece of cutlery is the normal sized dessert or farang looking spoon I think they come from Uri Gellers personal stock... great for spoon benders not for meat eaters..

Me... i love chopsticks and a proper sturdy soup spoon can eat all me dinners with those utensils....