Nature

soohk

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up some camera gear; a birthday present for myself. These were a camera bag (getting ready to travel to Thailand), and a new lens (Nikon 300mm / f4).

Decided to stop off at the animal sanctuary on the way home; an 1100km round trip, to try out the lens. To say I was happy with the results would be an understatement, if anything it has shown up my and the camera’s shortcomings. So the next couple of weeks will be practice.

Anyway below are some examples, if you don’t find these guys cute, you are a hard man/girl tongue.png. Be warned I have more coming smile.png .

8391618728_09565df7db_b.jpg

Koala & Joey by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8391618524_041fbb7296_b.jpg

Koala by Bill.3173, on Flickr

8391618368_d038f034d9_b.jpg

Koala2 by Bill.3173, on Flickr

(Still trying to ID this bird)

excellent shot Bill.. it's a Bush Thick-knee. Endemic to Australia.

all the world's Stone-curlew's have that distinct, awesome yellow beady eye.

Thanks Goshawk for the compliment and the ID, and you are right about the eyes. You had me staring at that banana leaf that you posted for a whilesmile.png .

The new lens I have is so much better than my other ones I have, though I’m still learning how to get the best out of it (Do you ever stop learning?). It has shown up the weakness of my camera though; that been noise and the auto focus (moving objects).

At the moment I am looking at birding web sites for Thailand; but they don’t give the best time of year or nesting seasons. Would you, or anyone else have any recommendations?

Thanks again. Regards.

At the moment I am looking at birding web sites for Thailand; but they don’t give the best time of year or nesting seasons. Would you, or anyone else have any recommendations?

Due to the large amount of resident species, anytime of the year really can be productive, but all the wintering species are present in Thailand now & for the next month or so.. speciality birds like spoon-billed sandpiper (critically endangered & one of the worlds rarest) can be seen right now at a few places around the northern rim of the gulf of Thailand.

All the info you need for a successful birding trip can be seen here.

Archived