Thailand National Anti Human Trafficking Day

webfact

Special Report : National Anti Human Trafficking Day

BANGKOK: -- 5 June is observed as the National Anti Human Trafficking Day since the cabinet on 15 July 2008 has agreed to suppress the human trafficking in Thailand. The official designation of the day is aimed at encouraging all social sectors to show commitment in getting rid of human trafficking, practically and sustainably.

This year, a campaign to raise human trafficking awareness in Thailand has been introduced by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security as the annual event organized to declare the ministry’s commitment against the trafficking trade on 10 June 2010 from 14.00-16.00 hrs at Hua Lamphong Railway Station, with featured activities including concert by Thai famous artists and an human trafficking exhibition.

Meanwhile, the Mirror Foundation had collaborated with Labor Rights Promotion and Network Foundation (LPN) and Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit Northern Thailand (TRAFCORD) for the launch of an annual report to mark the National Anti Human Trafficking Day. The declaration of an annual report was held on 4 June 2010 at the Mirror Foundation’s headquarter in Bangkok.

The 2010 declaration cited the United States’ critical concerns over human trafficking in Thailand as a number of victims tended to increase in the trade, especially in the fishery industry. Trafficking in Thailand's fishery industry has worsened with the number of victims soaring. Most victims were lured from Burma and only 700,000 out of 3-4 million workers were able to work in the Kingdom legally.

The Labor Promotion Network (LPN) has warned that the prolonged issue of human trafficking in fishery industry is on potential boycott by international community. In addition, the most concerning problem was a sluggish remedial action taken against trafficking victims by state authorities. The LPN suggested the Ministry of Labor to adopt a subdivision to take direct responsibility on the issue.

TRAFCORD has conducted a statistical report showing 35 human trafficking claims made since January 2010. Twenty two labors of four cases have received help, while prosecutions of 11 suspects who were charged for violating human trafficking have been held; with aids given to its 10 victims.

Regarding the north of Thailand, sex slaves from Thailand, Burma and other ethnic groups were claimed being lured into prostitution. Children from the migrant camp in Tak were forced to work as housemaids in the central area unwillingly, without payment and some recruitment firms had sent local workers to work in a depressing environment overseas.

Even though a new comprehensive anti-trafficking law has been enforced since 2008, unclear definition in term of “sufferer” has brought injustice to the trial as some victims were not legally considered as victims of human trafficking. The working agencies, however, will propose beneficial suggestions to the state agency in a bid to prevent further escalation of the issue.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-06-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It was common practice that girls from 12 years up were sold into prostitution by their parents and/or care-takers. It was controlled by influencial Phu Wahs (kind of provincial governeurs) and MPs who paid a lumpsum to the parents and the girls had to work it off for years.

Once I had nearly a serious fight with a Northern Puh-Wah (refered as higher than police by locals), when I didn't know what Puh-Wah means. Fortunately I could stop him without any incidence of violent nature and a Royal project was initiated shortly after this happened and 600 girls were sent back to their families at once.

Even the locals where after the money from the Puh-Wah and many considered it as a blessing they were not quite happy with the way they had to go for paying it back.

I opened their eyes.

One time a man came to me and said: "you're not looking with your eyes but your heart, we believe what you say". - This may have saved my life.

When human trafficking is raised most people just think female prostitution but it goes so much deeper. I really hope that the powers that be tackle this with the seriousness they should.

You're right. The same Puh-Wah as mentioned in my previous post above switched to big time scams. He hired poor villagers with a little bit of land to work in Japan. He'd pay the expenses, but keep the land-sheets as security, in case they couldn't pay back he would be the legal owner of the land. After the men were shipped to Japan they had a job for one month and 2 months without, so they couldn't pay back their expenses. - It went on like this.

I stopped him on that too and informed the villagers. Still some believed him and lost everything they had.

Edited by elcent