China Airlines Intl From Cnx

JXXXL

I don't know what other cities they fly to from CNX, but they have an excellent fare to LAX and even more compelling given you don't have a stop over at Swampypoom. BUT, I'm not sure about China Airlines.

Last time I went to LA, I flew Eva and while the flight and equipment was ok, it was a nightmare on the return. Eva had two flights departing at the same time to TPE so there were about 700 people trying to check in, at LAX no less. This was right after the underpants bomber fiasco so with the "enhanced" security, it took us about three hours to get checked in.

How much is the fare? I can't load the website.

I flew CNX to LAX on China Airlines and have nothing but praise for them. Great service. Captains flew smooth as silk and landed the planes like a dream

You will also encounter 700 people (each with 5 huge boxes) when you return to Taipei from LAX. Be prepared. I got to LAX 4 hours early or I would have never gotten my baggage on the flight!

I flew CNX to LAX on China Airlines and have nothing but praise for them. Great service. Captains flew smooth as silk and landed the planes like a dream

You will also encounter 700 people (each with 5 huge boxes) when you return to Taipei from LAX. Be prepared. I got to LAX 4 hours early or I would have never gotten my baggage on the flight!

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you had a good experience. Was the plan a newer model?

The price I got for my dates (mid June return mid July) was 32,565 inclusive of taxes and fees.

I've flown them a few times CNX/TPE/HNL and the travel agent arranged my times so that I got a free night's stay in TPE [3 star hotel and 2 meals] which lessens the jet lag somewhat. Price 3 yrs ago was about what you paying to LAX.....good deal.

Used them to SFO via TPE. Was OK. Not sure about their safety record though, I faintly remember there was an issue.

That was a long time ago that they had safety issues. I believe they have a very good safety record now.

As for the type of airplane, I honestly can't remember.

Edited by elektrified

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you had a good experience. Was the plan a newer model?

The price I got for my dates (mid June return mid July) was 32,565 inclusive of taxes and fees.

That's exactly what I paid in June 2008 via the travel agency next to S&P and Icon Plaza.

One way ticket CNX to LAX was 22,000 baht for travel this week. Do be aware the weight restriction on checked luggage is 23 kilo. You may want to check on number of checked pieces you are allowed and total weight.We were first told at check in that only 1 checked allowed and 23 kilo limit. We had 29 kilo as understood that we were allowed up to 30. They finally let us check 2 bags which weighed 29 kilo. This was after getting a supervisor involved.

One way ticket CNX to LAX was 22,000 baht for travel this week. Do be aware the weight restriction on checked luggage is 23 kilo. You may want to check on number of checked pieces you are allowed and total weight.We were first told at check in that only 1 checked allowed and 23 kilo limit. We had 29 kilo as understood that we were allowed up to 30. They finally let us check 2 bags which weighed 29 kilo. This was after getting a supervisor involved.

When I flew back to CNX from LAX in 07/2008 I was allowed 2 pcs. of luggage @ 23 kilos each. I brought a 3rd piece that also weighed 23 kilos and was charged $105.00 USD for the 3rd piece.

Where did you get that idea? It's been 23kg/50lbs for awhile and is clearly posted when purchasing the ticket and in your confirmation/itinerary.

Edited by damian5000

The weight limit (30 kilo) was given 4 months ago by a travel agent, when we purchased ticket. No it was not printed on the travel itinerary received. I am still confused as to number of checked pieces allowed as we were told one at check in, but were eventually allowed to check 2.

I looked all over the China Airlines website and couldn't find any information on the baggage allowance. They didn't show it in the T&C's prior to on-line booking. I didn't advance past that point, so they may show it in subsequent steps in the process.

I did find on China travel website the following:

Check-in Baggage

Adults and children are entitled to a free checked baggage allowance of 40kg, for first class, 30kg, for business class, and 20kg, for economy class while traveling on domestic airlines in China. No free baggage allowance is granted to infants. Groups traveling together are able to combine their baggage allowance if they check in together.

Many airlines have adopted a tolerance of up to 30kg even if the limit is lower. However each piece must generally not exceed about 23kg due to health and safety regs for baggage handlers in US and Australia. Problem is a few airlines charge for everything.

I will be using them to fly from JFK to BKK in July. I am rather upset with EVA, their service has gone to crap IMHO. I have a lot of miles racked up with them too, but their mid class couldn't even power my 15" laptop, the food quality dropped down, and they no longer gave out hot towels and other free stuff. I was saddened when Thaiair stopped their BKK to JFK direct flight, their economy class was far superior to many mid grade seats in other airlines.

Back to china airlines, my one professor has begun to use them and brings over 30 students each year instead of EVA and he is happy by the change as they can skip Bangkok now.

I have used them several times over the years, including last October, CNX or HKT (Phuket) to LAX via Taipei. I've always been happy with their service and not having to make that stop in Bangkok is worth allot.

cr

I think if/when I go back to USA, I will have to find another way of shipping my belongings (no furniture or anything extra heavy) because it will be just too expensive via airline. I'll have to ship it via ship and only carry necessary items on the plane. What a freaking mess this has become. A lot of time it's up to the person at the counter. When I came here, I had about 200 pounds of stuff and the guy (Delta I think) said it would be $450, my face must have turned to a sight of horror (the ticket was only $900), I asked him to help me and he brought it down to $200. My problem is I have to fly to West coast (e.g. LAX or SFO) and THEN fly to either Dallas or Little Rock, that will add a significant amount. It might be cheaper to rent a car and drive it with all the extra poundage.

Where did you get that idea? It's been 23kg/50lbs for awhile and is clearly posted when purchasing the ticket and in your confirmation/itinerary.

That is not anything that I posted. There must be a flaw in the quote system of the new TV website design.

I flew them a couple months ago, round trip cnx to lax in coach. The equipment was in decent enough condition including good, albeit a bit limited, seat-back entertainment. Service was OK in the air but they are really lacking on the ground. The food quality varied from OK to very good with moderately sized portions. When I bought my ticket the checked baggage weight allowance was 30kg but is now 23kg, you are allowed two checked bags at no additional charge in coach.

The only thing I would be wary of is the schedule between Taipei & Chiang Mai. They don't fly that route daily so if you miss a flight you may have to wait a couple days.

I thought it was a very good value overall.

I'm looking at flight right now and these are my choices:

CNX-BKK-HKG-YVR (Round Trip) THB 60,000

CNX to BKK on Thai Airways

BKK to HKG on Thai Airways

HKG to YVR on Air Canada (Boeing 777-300ER)

I have done this last year but the price I got was about THB 15k cheaper. The flight from HKG to YVR is a delight. The seats were comfortable, legroom was acceptable and the entertainment system was nothing short of awesome!

Now a much better route is CNX-TPE-YVR (Round Trip) for THB 31,500 on China Airlines - god it's half the price, plus I save time and don't have to go through that terrible airport in Bangkok. It all sounds great but how does it compare in terms of legroom, service, in-flight entertainment and safety to Air Canada?

Used them to SFO via TPE. Was OK. Not sure about their safety record though, I faintly remember there was an issue.

That was a long time ago that they had safety issues. I believe they have a very good safety record now.

As for the type of airplane, I honestly can't remember.

I doubt relatives of the 225 passengers who were deposited in the South China Sea back in 2002 when CI611, an ageing Boeing 742, disintegrated in mid air, would agree with you about the safety record.

Thinking of dodgy airlines, wonder who had bought it just before it crashed.

Edited by Paagai

From being very lax about the weight of your carry on, they now allow you 7 kilos and they weigh it at check in if they think it is over the limit. The actual flight was fine but, if the price difference between Bangkok an CNX is over $150 round trip for a ticket, I fly into Bangkok an take the train up the next day. At least going from the U.S., the cost seems to be over $200.

Odd that China Airlines doesn't reward their customers any incentive for booking their trips early.

I just checked (online) the price for a round trip flight from CNX - SFO on August 15 with a return date of November 15 and was quoted a fare of 36,500 baht. However, if I booked the same itinerary for June 15th (just 4 days from now) with a return date of August 15, I am quoted a fare of 26,500 -- a savings of 10,000 baht for waiting until until the last minute to book the trip!

I'm certainly not a business major, but that seems counter productive to my reasoning. Also if you note, the cheaper fare is right in the middle of the summer high-travel season.

Edited by Rice_King

Odd that China Airlines doesn't reward their customers any incentive for booking their trips early.

I just checked (online) the price for a round trip flight from CNX - SFO on August 15 with a return date of November 15 and was quoted a fare of 36,500 baht. However, if I booked the same itinerary for June 15th (just 4 days from now) with a return date of August 15, I am quoted a fare of 26,500 -- a savings of 10,000 baht for waiting until until the last minute to book the trip!

I'm certainly not a business major, but that seems counter productive to my reasoning. Also if you note, the cheaper fare is right in the middle of the summer high-travel season.

Two weeks before they are due to fly, a lot of airlines get the 'jitters' that they will be flying with empty seats and in this economic climate they want every penny they can get and therefore sell them off cheaply, rather than fly empty. (see TG super deals as example Super Deals)

It seems that if you can hold your nerve, often you will find a good deal two weeks or sooner before departure.

I will be using them to fly from JFK to BKK in July. I am rather upset with EVA, their service has gone to crap IMHO. I have a lot of miles racked up with them too, but their mid class couldn't even power my 15" laptop, the food quality dropped down, and they no longer gave out hot towels and other free stuff. I was saddened when Thaiair stopped their BKK to JFK direct flight, their economy class was far superior to many mid grade seats in other airlines.

Back to china airlines, my one professor has begun to use them and brings over 30 students each year instead of EVA and he is happy by the change as they can skip Bangkok now.

Unfortunately that doesn't work if flying from JFK to CNX. The layover excruciatingly long layover in Tapei on the return from CNX to JFK is something like 20+ hours. Going CNX - BKK - TPE - JKF is still close to 30 hours total travel time. I've found that Cathay Pacific has equal prices and better scheduling.

But I agree entirely about missing the Thai Air nonstop flight from JFK to BKK.

Flew China Airlines twice in the past month. VERY good prices (21,000B return to Vancouver-WAY cheaper than Cathay). Aircraft AirBus A340-300 from Taipei, good service. All in all, highly recommended (especially since it bypasses BKK with its own set of issues).

Edited by Rotweiler