China Airlines Intl From Cnx

JXXXL

I'm looking at flight right now and these are my choices:

CNX-BKK-HKG-YVR (Round Trip) THB 60,000

CNX to BKK on Thai Airways

BKK to HKG on Thai Airways

HKG to YVR on Air Canada (Boeing 777-300ER)

I have done this last year but the price I got was about THB 15k cheaper. The flight from HKG to YVR is a delight. The seats were comfortable, legroom was acceptable and the entertainment system was nothing short of awesome!

Now a much better route is CNX-TPE-YVR (Round Trip) for THB 31,500 on China Airlines - god it's half the price, plus I save time and don't have to go through that terrible airport in Bangkok. It all sounds great but how does it compare in terms of legroom, service, in-flight entertainment and safety to Air Canada?

It is the cheapest flight to YVR bar none. However it has to be one of the worst flights to YVR as they use their older planes (the newer ones fly to the States) and the food has to be the worst I have had in a decade (two round trip flights in the last three months). One flight the in-flight entertainment system wasn't working and the seats are awful. The service staff are friendly and nice but are handicapped with what they have to offer you. As you suffer in your seat just remind yourself of the cash you are saving. Oh and the online check-in system doesn't work for the YVR-TPE leg so get to the airport early.

Two weeks before they are due to fly, a lot of airlines get the 'jitters' that they will be flying with empty seats and in this economic climate they want every penny they can get and therefore sell them off cheaply, rather than fly empty. (see TG super deals as example Super Deals)

It seems that if you can hold your nerve, often you will find a good deal two weeks or sooner before departure.

Not of caution that most of the seats out of Taipei to North America are pretty well booked up for the summer. The only way my wife was recently able to change a return ticket was by paying for an upgrade in class.

I've flown LAX-CNX twice this year, once with return.

Using a large discount ticket broker, I was able to get very reasonable fares, but I did have to fish around for the best date. It was true in the end that an earlier date was much cheaper than advance booking.

The service is superb, but coach seats seemed a little smaller than usual. Meals were excellent, and the employees were top notch.

LAX international facilities are among the worst I've ever encountered. You have to walk an enormous distance with no help from a dedicated transport system, and the check-in headed to TPE is baggage hel_l.

No fault of the airline, of course.

Also, if you're connecting from a Delta domestic flight, be forewarned your forwarding ticket is a dummy. You'll have to go to China Airlines for a reissue. Nobody tells you this, and it's easy to find yourself quite a long ways from the ticketing area before you get turned back. If time is short, it can be exciting.

My first flight out of TPE to CNX was cancelled, but China was very nice about arranging transportation and a free hotel room.

I plan to use them whenever I fly out of Asia to the US.

I can't remember which airline, but if you need to get to the East coast, there is a flight from BKK-Singapore then direct to Washing D.C. That's cool.

Don't need to go to Bangkok for that. Korean Air from CNX to Soul then to the east cost.

During the recent protests in BKK, I decided to try China Air direct from CNX to TPE and return to avoid Suvarnabhumi. While I bought a business class seat (my company reimburses, thank goodness), China Air forced me to pay THB 2,750 additional baggage fee to send my two pieces of luggage. There was a large roll-on suitcase and a set of golf clubs. Normally I use TG for CNX-BKK-TPE and am never asked to pay any additional baggage fees....and when flying business class on TG I am allowed 3 checked items. On the return leg from TPE to CNX, I checked in at Seoul with China Air as my business took me there after my earlier stop in Taiwan. China Air at Seoul never charged me any additional fees, so I suppose this policy is left up to the discretion of the ticket agents at check-in. The flight service in business class was fine, as one would expect. But checking in at CNX was a major hassle as the flight back to TPE was full of returning Taiwanese passengers and the check-in area was a zoo. Would I do this again? Probably not, unless timing was important...the required intermediate stop in BKK aboard TG eats up 3 hours and gets one to TPE late in the evening whereas China Air gets you there around 3 PM.

I know it means going to BKK, but some of the best deals to Taipei can be had with KLM (Economy and business). BKK is a stopover on their Amsterdam - Taipei service, but it's where half the passengers seem to get off so the onward sector to TPE is always half empty.

Flew China Airlines twice in the past month. VERY good prices (21,000B return to Vancouver-WAY cheaper than Cathay). Aircraft AirBus A340-300 from Taipei, good service. All in all, highly recommended (especially since it bypasses BKK with its own set of issues).

21,000 Round trip CNX TPE Vancouver? 21,000 + taxes so around 32,000 you mean??? I assume that's what you mean by "21,000 return"?

Flew China Airlines twice in the past month. VERY good prices (21,000B return to Vancouver-WAY cheaper than Cathay). Aircraft AirBus A340-300 from Taipei, good service. All in all, highly recommended (especially since it bypasses BKK with its own set of issues).

21,000 Round trip CNX TPE Vancouver? 21,000 + taxes so around 32,000 you mean??? I assume that's what you mean by "21,000 return"?

I was thinking the same thing, that seemed ridiculously cheap - never seen it 'all in' at that price.

Anyone know if Korean goes to Toronto, or what's the best deal from CNX to Toronto.....any experiences? :)

Per the OP's question. I have flown China Air many times from CNX to both Honolulu and San Francisco. Really never had any problems. My only complaint is the 747 used on the Taipei-San Fran route hasn't been updated with better seats and personal video screens. Food varies but is edible most of the time. Try to minimize your time in the Taipei airport. I would be open to flying other airlines but I've never found anyone able to come close to their price for those particular routes.