General World Cup Discussion Thread

sharecropper

Reigning World Champs Italy have now drawn both their two opening games, against Paraguay and New Zealand. Wonder if they are being booed by their fans?

italian fans tend less to boo, more to break into the training camp en masse and confront the players. or in christian vieri's case, set fire to the bar that he owned.

:lol:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game by NZ. Hey Donnyboy, I am from across the Tasman. Oz team needs Italy' drama coach. I just thought they fell over to much without sufficent contact.

The NZ and Oz appear not to play out the potential of the penalty; this appears to be an art in itself.

I usually follow the rugby leauge; but the game tonight was great to see.

NZ is ranked 78 and Italy is ranked 5. How much did they pay for the Italy team? And how much is the NZ team worth? :blink:

They should do the Harka after that. Go the Kiwi's :D

quite funny to see all the fake injuries take place and see them get up 5 secs later

i dont usually follow the football but the WC is an exception

Rugbys my game ;)

11 skinny white men doing the haka? no it just dont look right!! :D

Reigning World Champs Italy have now drawn both their two opening games, against Paraguay and New Zealand. Wonder if they are being booed by their fans?

NZ has drawn both of their games too, and im stoked

Great game by NZ. Hey Donnyboy, I am from across the Tasman. Oz team needs Italy' drama coach. I just thought they fell over to much without sufficent contact.

The NZ and Oz appear not to play out the potential of the penalty; this appears to be an art in itself.

I usually follow the rugby leauge; but the game tonight was great to see.

NZ is ranked 78 and Italy is ranked 5. How much did they pay for the Italy team? And how much is the NZ team worth? :blink:

They should do the Harka after that. Go the Kiwi's :D

quite funny to see all the fake injuries take place and see them get up 5 secs later

Rugbys my game ;)

11 skinny white men doing the haka? no it just dont look right!! :D

Unless you're a Kiwi, it doesn't look right ANY time!

I've always been for video replay and always will be. The human error element of refereeing any sport should be taken out as much as possible especially in something that comes along only once every four years. Countries will always have a chance to participate over the decades but the same can't be said for the athletes themselves. One ref that is either incompetent, corrupt or both, can ruin it for a team of hardworking, deserving athletes - whether they be millionaire professionals or not. A chance to compete in something like the World Cup is amazing and to have it ruined by incompetence is bad enough, but to have it end so someone can line their pockets should be a crime everywhere.

Well said, the few times it would/should be required to review a call would not be a serious detriment to the speed of the game being played anymore so then the occasional injury and certainly would not outweigh the benefits and credibility it would bring.. Seriously most officials can make the judgment every bit as quickly as the ref on the field and decide whether or not to even make a review without stopping play at all on a preponderance of the calls in question.

I mean let's just embrace performance enhancing drugs as well and forget anything that might allow for an uneven playing field :rolleyes: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Who is the drama coach for Italy.

I see by the way they play they are very good at acting out their parts.

I was watching one Italian player actually look up to see if the ref was watching his performance; when he saw it no use got up and kept going.

Honestly, that type of action needs a yellow card.

Just my thoughts. :jap: B):D

You're right it should by rule and it's happened all too often this year as the rule is beginning to be taken advantage of after several years and being complacent about not enforcing it..

I was watching one Italian player actually look up to see if the ref was watching his performance; when he saw it no use got up and kept going.

You're right it should by rule and it's happened all too often this year as the rule is beginning to be taken advantage of after several years and being complacent about not enforcing it..

The same teams and the same tricks each World Cup. You'd think the refs would become wise to it by now....:coffee1:

The same teams and the same tricks each World Cup. You'd think the refs would become wise to it by now....:coffee1:

and while blatter and platini are pulling the strings, things aint gonna change!

and while blatter and platini are pulling the strings, things aint gonna change!

Except that if I'm not mistaken this rule was instituted under Blatters tenure..... Kind of a contradiction ain't it?

Do you think the Brazilian Kaka who got the red card last night will only be out for the one game against Portugal. Kaka is too pretty to keep in the locker room, let me tell you. Did people see the acting job of the Ivory Coaster who pretending he was hit in the face by Kaka, and wasn't? What a sham!

Do you think the Brazilian Kaka who got the red card last night will only be out for the one game against Portugal. Kaka is too pretty to keep in the locker room, let me tell you. Did people see the acting job of the Ivory Coaster who pretending he was hit in the face by Kaka, and wasn't? What a sham!

Yes disgraceful JT,FIFA has there chance now,lets hope they go by what they say about fair play eh!

yes a contradiction, especially when you think about irelands world cup knockout qualification match against the french.although not the same ruling, it was still cheating when henry hand balled and then helped the ball on its way for france to score and go on and qualify for the world cup.

Yes disgraceful JT,FIFA has there chance now,lets hope they go by what they say about fair play eh!

i bet it would be an odds on cert that kakas red card would get overturned if it was at any other stage of the competition!

never mind the fact that we are talking about fair play here and that it should never have been a red card in the first place.

as i seem to remember the refs decision is final. i wonder if he will get to referee another game in this world cup.

Edited by tigerfish

I think it amazing that people like myself (American) who cannot stand soccer, are actually actively reading this thread. Such is the World Cup. It brings all nations together for one sporting event. The World Cup is probably the greatest single international sporting event there is. I just wish you had video replay.

Laws of the Game 2010/2011 FIFA

http://www.fifa.com/...e_2010_11_e.pdf

LAW 12 – FOULS AND MISCONDUCT Page 115 (pdf page 117)

Cautions for unsporting behaviour

* attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have

been fouled (simulation)

I wish the cameras would always stay on these cheaters of the game to witness the speed of their recovery from collapsing in agony, writhing about on the floor, to jumping up and sprinting off. They sicken me. Last night i thought both teams, Brazil and Ivory Coast, were equally guilty of the amateur dramatics.

god, can you imagine if the yanks actually did get their grubby little mitts on the world of football and governed it.

not saying that some of the things dont already happen, but please!

this match has been brought to you by budweiser.(sponsorship and advertising)

time outs.

expert analaysis from.

yellow flags or objections over calls. instant replays, calls over ruled.

fuc_k knows how many referees and linesman.

defensive, offensive and special teams with coaches to call the plays.

resettting the clock after each play and waiting another minute and a half for the next play call from a throw in, free kick, penalty etc...............

sin binns.fowl counts and your out of the game.

national anthems being sung by the latest winner of pop idol or even worse cylene dion. pre match and half-time entertainment that seems to go on for and eternity.

padding and shoulder pads.

cheerleaders!(maybe not such a bad idea)

games being split into 4 quarters.

do i need to go on?

theres already enough wrong with the game as it is and from what ive seen of some americans having a say in what happens back in the u.k. as far as club sides go.

NO THANKS!

god, can you imagine if the yanks actually did get their grubby little mitts on the world of football and governed it.

American Budweiser was the offical beer of the 2006 WC in Germany and from what I was told the only beer they sold in the stadiums. :)

theres already enough wrong with the game as it is and from what ive seen of some americans having a say in what happens back in the u.k. as far as club sides go.

Why shoudn't they get a say when they either own or partly own most of the top clubs anyway; Man U, Liverpool, Aston Villa, & Arsenal. Where are all the rich Brits? Don't they think their own clubs are a good investment?

swiss were outstanding. that'll be the hitzfeld factor. so, so organised and every player did their job. first game i've really enjoyed this world cup.

First game i haven't fallen asleep!

OK, bit of an exaggeration, but most of the games the passing has been sloppy, the finishing lousey, and the pace so slow.

Lowest number of goals for a World Cup in 80 years.

Hope these supposedly top teams start getting their shit together and start actually playing.

Must have missed the US Slovenia game too then?

Portugal up 7 -0 over PDRK why is Rinaldo still on the pitch?

I also think it's was poor form for Portugal to keep pushing forward now as they were doing , should have backed off and gone defensive slowed play down to take time off the clock they obviously dominated.

By the way someone mentioned the ball being the primary cause for the low goal count and high shots etc. well obviously while it isn't helping it isn't the entire problem either as it is obviously being overlooked that these games are in higher elevation as well thus making the ball take off more..

Edited by WarpSpeed

time outs.

expert analaysis from.

yellow flags or objections over calls. instant replays, calls over ruled.

fuc_k knows how many referees and linesman.

defensive, offensive and special teams with coaches to call the plays.

resettting the clock after each play and waiting another minute and a half for the next play call from a throw in, free kick, penalty etc...............

sin binns.fowl counts and your out of the game.

national anthems being sung by the latest winner of pop idol or even worse cylene dion. pre match and half-time entertainment that seems to go on for and eternity.

padding and shoulder pads.

cheerleaders!(maybe not such a bad idea)

games being split into 4 quarters.

do i need to go on?

NO THANKS!

You forgot about renaming it to the World Bowl.... :ph34r::whistling:

American Budweiser was the offical beer of the 2006 WC in Germany and from what I was told the only beer they sold in the stadiums. :)

Why shoudn't they get a say when they either own or partly own most of the top clubs anyway; Man U, Liverpool, Aston Villa, & Arsenal. Where are all the rich Brits? Don't they think their own clubs are a good investment?

budweiser may have been the official beer of germany 2006, but it doent mean to say that any was consumed. who in their right mind would touch that excuse for piss water!

yes and i am sure that if you spoke to any man u. or liverpool fan right now they would tell them what they could with their say to.wink.gif

as for the statement about investment. what have the glazers and the gillette fella done as far as investing in the clubs? sod all!

as far as im aware they bought the clubs to to get themselves out of the mess they had got themselves into back in the states and now man u. and liverpool are both riddled in debt.

Edited by tigerfish

budweiser may have been the official beer of germany 2006, but it doent mean to say that any was consumed. who in their right mind would touch that excuse for piss water!

yes and i am sure that if you spoke to any man u. or liverpool fan right now they would tell them what they could with their say to.wink.gif

as for the statement about investment. what have the glazers and the gillette fella done as far as investing in the clubs? sod all!

as far as im aware they bought the clubs to to get themselves out of the mess they had got themselves into back in the states and now man u. and liverpool are both riddled in debt.

Glazer: Under his ownership has brought more trophies to Man U than the previous few years. He is also the owner of my American football team and he has gotten cheap since he bought Man U.. So why don't you get together about 1,000,000 of your friends and buy him out so his money can concentrate more back home?

Budweiser: I'm not a big beer drinker myself so I couldn't care less if drinking Bud was like being in a canoe, but when I was in London last I was surprised how many people were drinking it. At least it isn't warm. :bah::) btw - it's now BELGIAN owned!

^ 1. i aint a manc im a gooner! if you know what that is.wink.gif

2. im sure in time there will be a few man u fans along to put you in your place, about the fact that they are trying to do just that(buy the glazers out and send them packing). after all there enough of them on this forum

3. dont know what part of london you stayed in. probably somewhere like s.kensington, seeing as thats the only place youll find anyone A. mug enough to pay 2 quid for bottle of piss water and B the only place you will find a lardy dar knob that gets drunk on 3 bottles of the stuff.

certainly not in my manor thoughwhistling.gif

Edited by tigerfish

^ Agree

^^ That's the least informed post I've ever seen from you.....Budweiser is on sale in my local in England at a special rate of 5 for £8 and they have currently sold 10 bottles for the promotion period.

This is because we all know its piss.

I'll leave the rest to the Man U fans.....I'm sure they will enjoy carving you up..... :whistling:

^ Agree

^^ That's the least informed post I've ever seen from you.....Budweiser is on sale in my local in England at a special rate of 5 for £8 and they have currently sold 10 bottles for the promotion period.

I'll leave the rest to the Man U fans.....I'm sure they will enjoy carving you up..... :whistling:

Talk about coincidence, a Manc friend of mine currently in Kuala Lumpur posted a pic on Facebook about an hour ago of them drinking Budweiser.

Back to the topic...

Portugal 7, North Korea 0!

Is that rubbing it in? Don't they know that they may have just given a death sentence to the remaining North Korean players who haven't defected already for embarrassing their homeland?

^ Agree

Talk about coincidence, a Manc friend of mine currently in Kuala Lumpur posted a pic on Facebook about an hour ago of them drinking Budweiser.

Back to the topic...

Is that rubbing it in? Don't they know that they may have just given a death sentence to the remaining North Korean players who haven't defected already for embarrassing their homeland?

Funny I made the same comment in the pub today about the North Koreans.....only England have tighter security to stop them leaving the compound!!! :lol:

^ Agree

Back to the topic...

Funny I made the same comment in the pub today about the North Koreans.....only England have tighter security to stop them leaving the compound!!! :lol:

North Korean Defectors Return to Squad | Attacking Soccer

Four North Korean players who tried to defect from North Korea were back training with the squad today.

Kim Myong-won, Kim Kyong-il, An Choi-hyok and Pak Sung-hyok tried to defect before their opening group game against Brazil, but the players mysteriously turned up for training Friday much to the surprise of the World Cup Journalists.

Manager Jong-hun also revealed how he regularly receives tactical advice during matches from North Korean Dictator Kim Jong-il, and said they plan to use mobile phones that are not visible to the naked eye to keep in contact with his leader Kim Jong-il.

The four players accused of defecting will have to wait till their return to North Korea tofind out their punishment for trying to defect, which could mean a lot of torture.

-------

So the players were so worried over what will happen to them next week that they gave up 7 goals. Too bad they can't blame it on the adivce given by their Glorius Leader over the invisible mobile phone.

Well, Italy did draw all the group matches in 1982 against Cameroon, Peru and Poland. Who won the WC on that year???

Never rule out the Italian team till they are really out.