Worldwide Photo Walk On July 24Th

Greenside

"On Saturday, July 24, 2010, the whole world will be walking again with Scott Kelby, Photoshop guru and best selling technology book author, in the Third Annual Worldwide Photo Walk."

OK, that's directly from the press release so it's a bit OTT, but as Chiang Mai is hosting two walks, one at Wat Umong and the other around the markets of Chiang Moi, I thought there may be some people that don't know about this through the CMPG who might like to join in. The one at Wat Umong has been published for a few weeks and is almost full, but I'm leading another which has just been added to the 700 or so currently planned for July 24th. Ours starts near the US Consulate and ends up at Wat Ket across the river via markets and the Chinese Temple - it's just over a mile and will take a couple of hours, starting at 4:00pm. There is no fee to participate but pre-registration is required. Just go to the Worldwide Photo Walk site , enter Chiang Mai in the search box and join whichever walk takes your fancy - full details of the routes are there plus the usual FAQ's and so on.

The main aim is simply to go out and take pictures in the company of others who share an interest in photography, meet new people and just have fun but there's also the opportunity to submit your best picture, one of which will be entered into the Photo Walk Competition which has a $1000 grand prize plus some other goodies. As it happens, someone from Thailand won it last year so maybe one of you can make it two in a row.

photowalk09_bestinshow.jpg

2009 Best in Show & Grand Prize Winner

"Can't Stop Smiling" by Bossakorn Buena, Amphawa, Thailand – July 18, 2009

Anyone can participate: all you need is a camera and it doesn't even matter what kind. Kelby says that people have showed up with disposables in the past, had a blast, and left with a new appreciation for photography and what can be achieved with even the simplest gear. I believe him.

Edited by Greenside

post-40471-076930200 1276953211_thumb.jp

Thanks for the support Gonzo - sorry we can't make Pun Pun the official ending of the walk but Banrai Steak House is right next to Wat Ked so it makes a natural place to finish up for a drink.

In 2008, they started with 241 walks, and last year, it grew to over 900 walks with more than 32,000 photographers participating. They estimate the average photographer will take upwards of 300 photos during a photo walk which means that nearly 10 million pictures were taken in that one single day that may never had happened otherwise. I once met a guy who claimed to have been working for Kodak in Japan when the first digital cameras got passed the stage of being toys and he told me that the management back in the US maintained a "it'll never happen here" attitude until it was almost too late. Digital really has revived people's appetite for taking pictures: I think it's great.

More than a quarter of the places have been reserved in the first day so if you're interested in coming along don't leave it too long to register as it's limited to 50 people.

Great initiative Greenside. Perhaps give me incentive to finally decide on that dSLR I've been wanting to get. :) Will keep my eye on the registration list as it's difficult for me to plan that far in advance.

Someone from Lanna Photo Club (like the CMPG but pretty much exclusively Thai) has just started a third walk which is in the silver making district so if you fancy a different experience and can speak a bit of Thai that might be a good choice.

With a touch over a month to go the organisers show almost 800 walks and over 14,000 registered participants. Allowing for several people who have yet to sign up, we have 30 places left and, other than here I haven't done any publicity yet, so if you're sitting on the fence please register soon :rolleyes:.

908388127_5arUw-XL.jpg

This picture from my last trip around the market.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update:

There are now 950+ photowalks planned in dozens of countries, with a touch over 20,000 people signed up. We're about half full and would welcome some more participants (although I'll be happy if it's not 100% full, given we'll be in the markets for some of it). If you're interested in the event in general, you can find more details here or if you want to just go and sign up for ours, the registration page is here.

Hoping to welcome some more ThaiVisa members soon.

My boyfriend and I have signed up for this, really looking forward to it. I'll be dusting off my trusty d40x, and will hopefully get some decent portrait shots. I've been a bit lazy here in CM with taking photos, so thanks heaps for organising greenside :-)

We look forward to seeing you on the 24th and I think it's going to be fun.

I found to my disappointment that the museum at Wat Ket closes at the weekend but have written them a pleading letter to ask if they'll open it for a couple of hours when we'll be there. It's a brilliant and eccentric collection ranging from ceremonial drums to china tea services belonging to somewhat obscure dignitaries of long ago, by way of ancient photos showing the conditions for prisoners at the turn of the last century. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive result on that.