No More Cbr 150S!

Ok, last week I sent an email to Honda asking 3 questions in regards to the future of the CBR's. Are they going to make a 150 F/I, a 200 F/I or bring back a new version of the 250. This morning I received an email from them with a phone number to call. I called, but had to put my wife on the phone since no one there spoke English. She asked them the same questions, and their response was, basically:

They are no longer making the CBR 150. They have no plans to come out with a 150 F/I, 200 or 250. They are only concentrating now on the PCX and Scoopy.

So, there is it straight from the "horse's mouth" so to speak.

The Tiger 200 & 250 seem nice but Tiger is such a weird company. I liked the CBR 150 but think the handle bars are a bit too low for long range, something more upright would be nice, but since they don't make it anymore it doesn't matter.

Nothing in Thailand is straight from the horse's mouth, as the horse will say anything at all in order to not be asked another question.

The end of the Honda CBR150R must be nothing new, and like I said for a long time - they not going to introduce a CBR150R with Fuel-Injection, nor will they come with a CBR200 or CBR250.

Currently Honda Thailand is producing two 250cc class motorcycles in Thailand, one 223cc single-cylinder and a 250cc twin-cylinder motorcycle, both are currently only for the export market (mainly Japan), therefore it is likely that Honda will in a later time introduce those two models on the Thai market.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Nothing in Thailand is straight from the horse's mouth, as the horse will say anything at all in order to not be asked another question.

Dont see many horses in Thailand...especially talking ones...... so not sure how much faith u could put in that answer....... Ok just joking

What I dont understand is, why dont Honda release the CBR 125 in Thailand? Its FI now isnt it?

Not sure I would buy a smaller engined bike, but the local dealer has been selling close to 4 CBR 150 a month from what I can see from stock moving on the showroom floor. From memory Honda sold about 1000 CBR 150 a month in Thailand. ( I could be wrong about that) Surely it cant be good losing that turnover?

I am in the market for another new bike in a month or two, I cant wait forever for Honda.

Maybe Honda have a shareholding in Kawasaki Thailand?? Sure as hel_l Kawa are the winners because of Honda policy here. The 250 and 650 obviously the main beneficaries.

I like the 150s smallness for in and out of traffic lines. One of the main reasons I went for the CBR last time over the 250 kawa..

The jump in performance with the 650 tho over the 250,, not much bigger than the 250,, and for only an extra 100K makes the 650 look attractive to me.

The Tiger 200 & 250 seem nice but Tiger is such a weird company. I liked the CBR 150 but think the handle bars are a bit too low for long range, something more upright would be nice, but since they don't make it anymore it doesn't matter.

Carnac... whats wierd about Tiger?

My response might be regarded on-topic if we think of the Tiger Boxer 250 as an alternative still produced in the realm of the CBR.

Tiger company is unusual, for one thing, in that it is small - with regard to civilian sales in Thailand. It does not have anything akin to the experienced service networks of the majors. Anywhere near Bangkok, they tend to send a "flying team" for service to your house. Also, the company, for marketing at least, is associated with Sachs, a German name which interests some.

And although Tiger manufactures the 200/250 series themselves, here in Thailand, they are not foreign owned (Japanese or Chinese or whatever Harley is). They are Thai.*

Also, my serial number for the 250, while it has letters far ahead, says 00064 - which makes me think that they're not turning out 10 or 100 a day.

Also, they have an on-line purchasing service (an advertiser) which in my experience functions flawlessly for those of us linguistically impaired in Thailand.

As for other matters, I am too new to the bike to say, making me now, so to speak, Neutral. I should know more about the bike specifically soon after I've done the breaking-in (that's one point of commonality - it takes too long to break in a bike!), and I shall be reporting my own delights (mirrors, helmet lock, tires, tracking, low-speed cruise - so far) and any disappointments in the bike, should they appear or sustain themselves in some serious form.

So perhaps different, rather than weird?

Edited by CMX

And although Tiger manufactures the 200/250 series themselves, here in Thailand, they are not foreign owned (Japanese or Chinese or whatever Harley is). They are Thai.*

Due to the pact I made with my soul after about 4 years of living here, this immediately restricts me from buying their product. :)

I actually think someone at Honda has lost their mind. Canceling the CBR and the Phanton with no replacement seems reckless at best, but the styling and colors of their current line up of bikes is downright distasteful. The same old bikes in new horrible colors, the too frequent use of those skinny tires that look like they belong on a bicycle, but on put on vehicles capable of 100KPH and the ugliness of the new PCX.

I expect and hope they lose a substantial portion of their market share then come back to their senses. It seems that arrogance must have set in and clouded thier judgment. I will miss the CBR. Mine has 70,000 trouble free kilometers on it and I've been waiting and hoping they would come out with a more modern fuel injected replacement, and I was going to buy a new one. Now I think I'll wait a little longer and if Honda does not get back to their senses, I'll go to Bangkok and buy a Tiger 250.

I really liked the 150, it had enough performance and power to keep up i traffic, especially when you have to merge into the center lane to make a right turn, but it was slow enough that it was hard to get in trouble on it. I like speed too much and while I can afford a bigger bike, I'm afraid the temptation of too much power would cause me to do something fatal.

Edited by Bobr

I guess they looked at the sales numbers, and at the cost of changing the production line to FI engines, and did the math.

I don't know anything but I imagine it would make a lot of sense for Honda to create some big bike dealerships with imported bikes from Japan, a'la Yamaha. With the FTA making the import duties go down 10% per year, this should become increasingly interesting for them. I don't believe they'll hand over the big bike market to Kawasaki. But moving production lines to Thailand is a very big decision, and the sales numbers in Thailand alone probably do not make it a very attractive proposition for Honda. They'd maybe own a good share of a very small market here but at what cost?

Importing bikes from Japan on the other hand wouldn't cost them anything. Or very little.

I disagree on the Honda lineup, the Scoopy is great, and the PCX too. It's a bit of a mystery why they have so many different other models but all in all the wave and click own the market so they must be doing something right.

I don't know anything but I imagine it would make a lot of sense for Honda to create some big bike dealerships with imported bikes from Japan, a'la Yamaha.

Actually, Honda DID build a big bike showroom here in Thailand- the Honda "Big Wing" showroom was nearing completion when the global financial meltdown prompted Honda to mothball it...

hsb_02_04_07.gif

From the Honda-Bigbike.com page:

สืบ เนื่องจากวิกฤติการเงินสหรัฐฯ Due to U.S. financial crisis. ที่ส่ง ผลกระทบทำให้เกิดการชะลอตัวทางเศรษฐกิจเป็นวงกว้างทั่วโลก The impact caused the economic slowdown is widespread throughout the world. รวมถึง ประเทศไทย Including Thailand. ด้วย เหตุนี้บริษัท เอ.พี. ฮอนด้า จำกัด จึงเตรียมปรับแผนตั้งรับภาวะการถดถอยทางเศรษฐกิจ For this reason, A. P. Honda Company is prepared to adjust the state plan for economic recession. โดยพิจารณาถึงความจำเป็นที่จะต้องมุ่งเน้น Consideration needs to be focused. และ ทุ่มเทในการดำเนินธุรกิจหลักของฮอนด้าในประเทศไทย อันได้แก่ การจำหน่ายรถจักรยานยนต์ฮอนด้าที่ผลิตขึ้นภายในประเทศให้มีประสิทธิภาพสูง สุด And dedicated to the main business of Honda in Thailand, including sales of Honda motorcycles produced by local optimization. ดัง นั้นบริษัทฯ So the company. จึงมี แผนงานชะลอการเปิดโครงการโชว์รูมรถจักรยานยนต์ฮอนด้านำเข้า “Honda Big Wing” จนกว่าสภาพเศรษฐกิจจะดีขึ้น It plans to delay launch of the Honda motorcycle showroom to "Honda Big Wing" until the economy improves. สำหรับ กิจกรรมและการดำเนินงานต่อจากนี้ The activities and operation of this ทาง ฮอนด้าจะยังคงดำเนินการนำเสนอข้อมูลข่าวสารเกี่ยวกับบิ๊กไบค์ The Honda will continue to offer information about the Big Bike. ผ่าน ช่องทาง www.honda-bigbike.com พร้อมจัดกิจกรรมฝึกอบรมขับขี่ปลอดภัยให้แก่กลุ่มผู้ใช้รถบิ๊กไบค์อย่างต่อ เนื่อง Channels. Www.honda-Bigbike.com. with driving safety training activities for users Big Bike Car continuing. ซึ่ง นับเป็นหนึ่งในกิจกรรมที่มีความสำคัญ This is one of the events that are important. และโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งเป็นกิจกรรมที่มีความเกี่ยว เนื่องในด้านสังคม And especially the activities that are relevant in society. แต่สำหรับในด้านการจำหน่าย การให้บริการ และการขายอะไหล่ของผลิตภัณฑ์บิ๊กไบค์นั้น ทางบริษัทฯ จำเป็นต้องพิจารณาเลื่อนการดำเนินงานออกไป But for in sales service and parts sales of Big Bike products that the company needed to consider moving operations away. พร้อมกันนั้นได้เตรียมการสำรวจสภาพตลาด At the same time be prepared to explore market conditions. เพื่อ ประเมินสถานการณ์สำหรับดำเนินการในอนาคตต่อไป To assess the situation for action in future. อย่าง ไรก็ตาม สำหรับแฟนๆ ชาวฮอนด้าบิ๊กไบค์ However, for fans, people, Honda, Big Bike. และผู้ที่สนใจ And the like. ฮอนด้า ยังเปิดโอกาสให้รวบรวมสมาชิก และเพื่อนๆ ในกลุ่มของท่าน Honda also open to members and friends gathered in your เพื่อ ขอจัดกลุ่มอบรมในหลักสูตร HBB BigBike Training ตลอดจนอัพเดตข่าวสาร For group training in HBB BigBike Training Program as well as news updates. และ ร่วมแสดงความคิดเห็น พูดคุย หรือบอกเล่าเรื่องราวประสบการณ์ต่างๆ Comment and discuss experiences or tell the story. กับคอม มูนิวตี้ชาวบิ๊กไบค์ในเว็บบอร์ดของเว็บไซท์ www.honda-bigbike.com Communication with people Duty Bike the Big Board's Web site. Www.honda-Bigbike.com. เรา หวังว่าทุกท่านจะยังคงติดตาม We hope you will continue to track. และคง เป็นหนึ่งเดียวกับฮอนด้าบิ๊กไบค์ต่อไป And would be one with Honda Big Bike next

Honda-Bigbike.com

This hasn't been updated in the last 2 years or so... Seems to me Thailand just isn't on Honda's map as far as big bikes are concerned...

The 2010 Honda catalogue I am looking at in front of me has a CBR125R which is a liquid cooled 4 stroke with PGM-F1 efi. That would be a very close relative to the 150? Where is it made?

094742.jpg

The 2010 Honda catalogue I am looking at in front of me has a CBR125R which is a liquid cooled 4 stroke with PGM-F1 efi. That would be a very close relative to the 150? Where is it made?

The very same production line that the 150 came from...in Thailand. and the 125 continues in production/ Basicly exactly the same bike. . But the 125 is for export only. I cannot understand why it isnt released here? But the performance is down slightly from the 150. Has nicer front fairings and more powerful lights than the 150.

Seems Honda Thailand have attended a Thailand business school.... on how to make a small business...........Start off with a big one!!

The European version of our 150. Don't know where it's made.

And Bobr, don't believe or take anything here as fact. Especially when spoken by a Thai over the phone when asked a question. Then posted on the internet by an anonymous internet poster.

. But the 125 is for export only. I cannot understand why it isnt released here? But the performance is down slightly from the 150. Has nicer front fairings and more powerful lights than the 150.

Seems Honda Thailand have attended a Thailand business school.... on how to make a small business...........Start off with a big one!!

Or perhaps they know the market better than you.

I'd hazard a guess that due to the Thai boys style, releasing a 4 stroke 125, in a market dominated by nippy little 2 strokes, they'd be far from in demand.

And yes, Honda Thailand is a very small business. :lol:

I went to Honda Dealer last week..

They have a new 250 Honda VTR250 V-Twin, much more expensive the the CBR was

and the 250 Honda Forza Z but @ 342,000 baht, very nice but way out of what I was looking to pay.

All the others were 110 or 125, or special order if you wanted something bigger and expensive, sort of 700k - 1.5 million !!

Saying that also went into Yamaha they have nothing in the 150 - 200 cc range

As both are close to where I live, if I buy new, looks like the Yamaha 135 Nouvo Elegance @ 56,000 baht with all paperwork done, plates, tax and 1st class Insurance, or the Honda 125 PCX @ 70,000 with all paperwork done, plates, tax and 1st class Insurance.

. But the 125 is for export only. I cannot understand why it isnt released here? But the performance is down slightly from the 150. Has nicer front fairings and more powerful lights than the 150.

Or perhaps they know the market better than you.

I'd hazard a guess that due to the Thai boys style, releasing a 4 stroke 125, in a market dominated by nippy little 2 strokes, they'd be far from in demand.

And yes, Honda Thailand is a very small business. :lol:

Please tell me of any 'nippy little 2 strokes' currently manufactured and sold in Thailand.

They have a new 250 Honda VTR250 V-Twin,

Eh? Are you saying that Honda is selling the VTR250 in Thailand?! At the Bangkok motor show in April the Honda staff knew nothing about possible release of this bike in Thailand (but the folks manning the Honda booth were incredibly clueless...) More info please!

Been to Thailand recently? They stopped selling 2-strokes here how many years ago... :rolleyes:

Yes, there's absolutely no 125cc 2 strokes in Thailand, and they certainly aren't the rice-rocket of choice for the local racers. :rolleyes:

If you think that a sizeable segment of that specific Thai market are going to go for a new 4 stroke 125 bike over a second hand rice-rocket (maybe with extra thin tyres and day-glow pink paint) than I believe Honda certainly knows more than you.

As for the market that has mentally matured past the age of twelve, they'd probably stick to the wave/dream before going for a less convenient and more expensive 125cc 'bike'.

Edited by thomo

I'm seconding Bob R.'s view. Every day, every hour I see some CBR 150 and a Phantom.

Make no mistake, the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is a very capable bike. With cheap parts. (I just spent hundreds of Dollars on air filters and brake pads & stuff for my 2 big bikes alone this week). And then there are those who may get a Green Book for more than a new 250 cc Boxer with a good warranty costs. Makes sense, right?

Kawasaki will keep hogging the Thai big bike market. Some "accomplishment" for Honda's marketing guy. Why not make a 250 cc and sell it at a competitive price and maybe both CBR 150 and Phantom rider can ride a VTR 250?

Chris

post-7704-046526400 1277012275_thumb.jpg

Where is that dealer??

How much was the VTR?

About 15km past Bang Yai, no she did not have one in the showroom only the picture, forget price think about 140 or 150,000 baht, sorry did not take much notice after hearing the price.

Where is that dealer??

How much was the VTR?

About 15km past Bang Yai, no she did not have one in the showroom only the picture...

Which means it doesn't exist... :rolleyes: Bet she was willing to take a deposit though, huh? :lol:

Where is that dealer??

How much was the VTR?

About 15km past Bang Yai, no she did not have one in the showroom only the picture...

Which means it doesn't exist... :rolleyes: Bet she was willing to take a deposit though, huh? :lol:

No idea, she said it was new this month and it was in some showroom, did not listen as it was not what I was looking for

post-42643-033198300 1277021022_thumb.jp

and the 250 Honda Forza Z but @ 342,000 baht, very nice but way out of what I was looking to pay.

All the others were 110 or 125, or special order if you wanted something bigger and expensive, sort of 700k - 1.5 million !!

Saying that also went into Yamaha they have nothing in the 150 - 200 cc range

As both are close to where I live, if I buy new, looks like the Yamaha 135 Nouvo Elegance @ 56,000 baht with all paperwork done, plates, tax and 1st class Insurance, or the Honda 125 PCX @ 70,000 with all paperwork done, plates, tax and 1st class Insurance.

Interesting. Could you tell us the name of this Honda dealer?

Interesting. Could you tell us the name of this Honda dealer?

As I said I did not listen to the address of the showroom as this was not what I was looking for, I drive past weekly, so next week will go in and ask her to write it down then scan the address and post it. [went yesterday to the new DIY superstore between the 2 Motorbike buildings]

Another odd thing I have noticed in Thailand if and when a dealer gives you a Brochure, the white box on the back never has there Dealer Stamp [name and address] I was given a Brochure from Honda and 2nd building on - Yamaha, both Brochures they wrote the price of the bike I was interested in, in the the address box !! :(

Just find it odd... over the years maybe 50% will give you a card.. Rubber name and address stamps are very cheap here

Where is that dealer??

How much was the VTR?

About 15km past Bang Yai, no she did not have one in the showroom only the picture, forget price think about 140 or 150,000 baht, sorry did not take much notice after hearing the price.

This post is suspicious to me also. Actually the whole thread is. For a couple of reasons. As mentioned previously there's a plethora of CBR 150s out there. And I keep seeing more (even being pressed into duty as a work vehicle). Wether or not it can pass emissions standards is unknown (but I'd assume likely) and can be discussed by others who give a dam_n, I just don't see it dying off. I've been wrong before however.

And I'd like to echo the 'unless you have eyes on it it ain't there' sentiment of others. As much as I'd love to see the VTR here, it's being built in the wrong area for it to meet the price that was relayed to you (and is inline with the Ninja 250 which is made in the right area).