Backpackers Hotels

counrikke

Have a butcher's hook at the Budget section in Wikiravel CM.

I stayed at SP during my flashpacker days in the '90s, which is within the old town at the top end of Moon Muang; CC Teak House along Bumrungrad out towards the bus station; Ben's, not far east of the river; and Gap's House in the old town. SP was well placed but all geared to getting you on a tour; CC was a Franco-centric place full of French people, although not bad apart from the obnoxious Thai tosser on the door; while Ben's was a bit grubby. The best was Gap's House, which is just up from Thapae Gate within the old town. Nice little garden setting, rooms ok, food good and nice folks. Perhaps a little pricey for the average backpacker, though.

Gap's House

gapshouse3.jpg

gaps_map.gif

Hey thanks, I will look into it.

I'm not a dirty cheap backpacker, but I'm looking for the experience more then anything.

:)

Hello not dirty cheap backpacker,,,,,, give some consideration to ThePunPun Guest House and restaurant..... its on the river....ANNNNNdddd the food....... click on the Pun Pun yellow banner on the top of the page.

Some people come to stay and eat, and eat and eat....... I'm one of them

add.... if you know who Victor Kiam is/was..... well I'm the same....... I went to Pun PUn years ago and was so impressed,,,,, I bought the place.

Edited by ThePunPun

How can you say people are dirty or cheap just because they dont stay in a star rated hotel .The back packer my friend is the one who is responsible for you even knowing the place exists . They are the first to go new places which are later built up with big hotels by which point the place has usually lost the charm that lured people there in the first place .

there are dozens of small places in the general area of the map that Jackr posted. All you need to do is walk up and down any narrow soi coming off the main roads of the inner city. As a general rule, the cheaper places tend to be a little further away from the central area of the city. For most rooms, you usually have to pay about 200 to 500 baht per night. The larger hotels usually charge from 800 to 1500 baht per night, but that will include a breakfast, and use of the pool. Just rent a room in a hotel of your choice for one night and then go for a walk to find something that suits you better.. There are usually maps of the city at the airport arrival lounge. I stay in a Thai hotel that charges 350 baht a night, but it's about 2 km from the heart of the city. However my monthly rental is only 4000 baht.

There's hundreds of guest houses in the old city. As to whether they're good or not depends mostly on the age of the building, not so much on price. Guest houses, backpacker or not, are generally very cheap. Best to drop off at Tapae Gate, then wander around the old city until you find something you like

I like Tri Gong residence, we always used to stay there. See on tripadvisor. The area is great up there, a little corner in the north-east of the old city, many little restaurants and guest houses. The old city is generally great for walking everywhere, even the night market is only a 15 minute walk away down Loi Kroh.

Years ago we also tried to stay at the GAP about 3 times, and it was fully booked every time, so we always ended up at the Rendezvous GH or another one in a little soi off of Ratchadamnoen. There's also many GHs on Ta Pae road - going away from the old city from Tapae Gate, walk down the 3 lane one way and take a right at the first, second, or third soi, nice little guest houses there.

Edited by nikster

Check out spicy thai backpackers it was voted best hostel in Thailand when i was there 2 years ago. Its set in a beautiful village where i know a lot of locals want to live called nantawan opposite amari rincome hotel. I think their website is spicyhostels.com.

How can you say people are dirty or cheap just because they dont stay in a star rated hotel .The back packer my friend is the one who is responsible for you even knowing the place exists . They are the first to go new places which are later built up with big hotels by which point the place has usually lost the charm that lured people there in the first place .

Oh yeah, sorry mate. I meant dirt cheap, as in you know stereotypical backpackers, I want the experience as a backpacker but I do have money, It shall be good fun!

and thanks for all the good suggestions, I will take them all into consideration, I'm pretty easy so it's good

Have a look at Darets House near tapei gate, its in the lonely planet, decent cheap food also.

Yep, can't be beat for locale and cheap on food and beer, too. Stayed there many moons ago @ 120 baht. They padlocked us in the room thinking there was no-one in there. :blink: It's on the 'a' in 'Tha' of Tha Pae Gate on the map above.

As nikster says, the northeast of the old town (within the moat) is where most of the cheapies tend to congregate... interesting network of alleyways up there.

I'm not a dirty cheap backpacker, but I'm looking for the experience more then anything.

There's nothing wrong with being bit frugal when travelling the continents on a budget. The only difference between a backpacking traveller and a common tourist is that the travellers stay longer, see more, and have experiences that the package tourist miss out on due to time restrictions and tour operators organising their itinerary.

However, there is a difference between stretching the dollar and being a free-loader. Back packing parasites are ten a penny and a pain in the bloody backside, just like anyone else who's all take and no give! It's the spongers that give backpacking a bad name.

You're right Counrikke, you will have a better experience in a smart little guest house. Fellow travellers telling tales of where they've been, where they're heading to next, and all the stories in between, have got to be a dam sight more interesting than tourist banter, which goes along the lines of "what do you do for a living", and "how many days have you got off work....."

Aitch

Hey thanks, I will look into it.

:)

Hello not dirty cheap backpacker,,,,,, give some consideration to ThePunPun Guest House and restaurant..... its on the river....ANNNNNdddd the food....... click on the Pun Pun yellow banner on the top of the page.

Some people come to stay and eat, and eat and eat....... I'm one of them

add.... if you know who Victor Kiam is/was..... well I'm the same....... I went to Pun PUn years ago and was so impressed,,,,, I bought the place.

You must be a well trimmed sort of person then?