• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 6

Words sentences that are offensive

2. 30

Tobbaco

3. 14

Why Does Kamala Harris Disrespect Minorities by Imitating their Accents.?

4. 2

Pickup Truck Driver Falls Asleep, Crashes into 2 Motorcycles, Leaving 1 Dead & 1 Injured

5. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

6. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

7. 1

Fatal Motorcycle Accident Near Pattaya Claims One Life

8. 25

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 105

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

10. 509

Pattaya Bar/Go-Go Death Watch

11. 1,007

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

12. 6

Words sentences that are offensive

Cat Cdma In Mae Jo/Mae Faek

hml367

I am not near you. But I use C.D.M.A. and it works better-faster than landline or satellite.Works off mobile phone towers. If you are within about 4 kms from a tower, you should not need an aerial. Over 4 kms ,you will need an aerial.This may depend on the lie of the land, we are pretty flat, so have no obstruction from hills.(A. Ban Kluat, C. Buriram). I had satellite and am much happier with C.D.M.A.Reliability is very good. Have only had one problem ,we think a massive lightning strike in a primary transmission tower. It is more reliable than landline or satellite.Hope this helps

I am not near you. But I use C.D.M.A. and it works better-faster than landline or satellite.Works off mobile phone towers. If you are within about 4 kms from a tower, you should not need an aerial. Over 4 kms ,you will need an aerial.This may depend on the lie of the land, we are pretty flat, so have no obstruction from hills.(A. Ban Kluat, C. Buriram). I had satellite and am much happier with C.D.M.A.Reliability is very good. Have only had one problem ,we think a massive lightning strike in a primary transmission tower. It is more reliable than landline or satellite.Hope this helps

Thank you for that information,afarang.

MSPain

Whats your speed like? I also I'm thinking of going over to CAT CADMA..

Whats your speed like? I also I'm thinking of going over to CAT CADMA..

Hello, Gotlost.

I live in Chiang Mai. My wife's parents house is in Mae Faek. I have AIS right now. I have both the WiFi router (GSM) and the USB modem (AIS).

I use Super 3G on the WiFi modem in Chiang Mai. I am about 7 kilometers south of Chiang Mai and I get speeds between 2.25 and 3.25 mpbs consistently. Right now there are some problems, but they are not with the speed.

I have never been able to get a 3G signal in Mae Faek, so I swithed that SIM to the GPRS package. I get speeds about 100 - 200 kbps in Mae Faek. However, I cannot reach those speeds in Chiang Mai with the GPRS. Maybe that signal doesn't work as well off whichever tower I am near.

I want to research how CAT's CDMA works in Mae Faek so I can use it when we go there. Since it is unlimited, I can just leave the equipment there and let my niece use it when I am not there. Of course that is depending on the signal, speed, and cost of equipment.

I will let you know what I find out. I am probably going to CAT tomorrow to check. I don't know if they will allow me to "test" some equipment. And if they do and they require it returned by 4 p.m., that could be a problem. Nothing simple for me!

MPSpain

It will be interesting what you get. When I travel AIS 3G flips me to their Edge and I always get 236kbps, so yours is defiantly slow.

I had the same experience when I left the 3G coverage area. However, GPRS packages are way cheaper than 3G. I know I can't get 3G in Mae Faek, so I use the GPRS package there.

If I put my GSM (3G post paid) SIM in the AIS usb modem, I have to pay calling charges when I connect. I was not able to get both GPRS and 3G packages on one SIM. That makes sense to me. I already had the 2 SIM cards so I just put the corresponding package on each one. That way I can lock one to 3G signal only, and the other to GPRS signal only and I don't have signal interruptions.

MSPain

PS I just looked on the CAT site and they show the USB dongle for 2,900. As I said, I am going there tomorrow so I will let you know what I find out. If I can get the modem for that price I may just get it as an additonal backup. Hopefully I will be able to get a better speed in Mae Faek.

MSPain

Today, Tuesday, June 22, I went to the CAT office in Central Airport Plaza. They did not have the 2,900 baht USB modem available. With my very limited Thai skills I do not know if that is forever or if they are just out of stock. They gave me a paper for a Vation MC760 USB Modem which is apparently the promotion they wanted to put me on. The modem is 5,900 baht, which is reduced from the normal 7,250 baht price on the paper. That does include 3 months of unlimited service, so 3 x 790 = 2,370. So the actual price for the modem would be 3,530.

The man was not exactly sure how near a tower is to where I want to use the service in Mae Faek. He was able to pull up a map with their towers pointed out, however, we still could not be absolutely sure. From what I can gather the tower should be within 5 kilometers.

So I did not purchase the equipment today. I did go to the house where I want to use the service and there is a tower nearby with a "CAT cdma" sign on the fence around the tower.

I will think a day or two about this. It does seem better than what I am getting with GPRS at the location. I am not worried too much about inside Chiang Mai because my AIS Super 3G is still working well. There was the glitch that apparently all of their customers had within the last week or so. I emailed the callcenter and received a call back within 2 days and also and email saying the problem is fixed the day after the phone call. And it has been working so far.

MSPain

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates to your purchasing the CAT CDMA? I will be living between San Pa Tong and Lamphun very soon and can not get adsl there except for 128 KB.

Not yet, garyh. I am hoping to go to CAT office today on our way to visit in-laws. Depends how long it takes for my wife to get ready. Hopefully I will be able to report something tomorrow.

I had very slow speeds with AIS GPRS towards the mountain from Sanpatong. AIS 3G worked fine on the road to Hang Dong for me.

MSPain

4 July, 2010

I purchased the Ovation MC760 from CAT shop in Central Airport Plaza. The price was 5,900 baht, VAT included and 3 months free unlimited CDMA package. The monthly fee for unlimited is 790, probably plus VAT.

I am now on the road past Mae Jo and probably 10 kilometers SW of the Royal Chiang Mai Golf Club. There is a CAT CDMA tower about 3 km from where I am right now. I have not tried moving from my Lazy A** Chair.... so the results quite possible could be even better with another location and/or an external antennae.

This is the speed test results with a Dell Inspiron 1318 dual core running Vista 32 bit. I will post the speeds from my home about 7 km south of Chiang Mai when I get back home:

SpeakEasy to Seattle,4Jul2010,4:05pm :

Download Speed: 1546 kbps (193.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 246 kbps (30.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

ThaiVisa Broadband Speed Test, Bangkok Server:

Download Speed: 1662 kbps (207.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 391 kbps (48.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 380 ms

Sunday, July 04, 2010 4:09:51 PM

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Same computer at my house about 7 km south of Chiang Mai I got speed of about .2mb. The first bar of the signal strength barely lights up. It could be where I am in the house. I will try it more and post anything new.

MSPain