Queer As Folk Television Series, For Those That Have Seen Both

Jingthing

Yes, this is a very dated topic.

I watched the original UK Queer as Folk series and thought it was fantastic. So I never watched the later USA version.

For those who have seen both, what do you think?

Is the USA version simply an Americanization of the exact same story line? Is the USA version less (or more) racy? Should I bother watching the USA version?

The only real similarity between both versions is the youngster looking for his first shag. The US version has a 17 year old rather than the 15 year old Nathan of the UK version. The US version is longer (5 series versus 2) and is much more sophisticated. It gets a bit 'worthy' in places but I think it's better than the UK version. There's also a lot of shagging in it. It's worth your while watching it.

Wow...it's been awhile since I watched "Queer as Folk", probably more than 5 years. I watched both but preferred the American version better as did a lot of my UK friends. I remember that in the American version the guys were much cuter, though by season 4 as in a lot of American series it had run it's course in my opinion. Remember at the time buying the box set of the US version (original) in Hong Kong as tv series at that time were not found on the streets of Bangkok and it made the rounds of countless friends.

Enjoy...I will look forward to your feedback!

I saw both a few years ago. As a Brit, I found a certain "rawness" about the Brit version. It was also very authentic, and reminded me of my disco haunts in the 80s.

The USA version is more sophisticated and sexual. The guys seemed more interesting, and there were numerous sub-plots. I guess that the budget was larger. It dragged on--a friend lent me all 40 (?) DVDs but I gave up after 28.

The young boy in the Brit version is not gay, AFAIK, in real life. Charlie Hunnan.

The young boy in the USA version (blond twink) is very openly gay in real life and lives with a high society gay NY banker or accountant, as I remember.

Eddy