No Need To Turn Off The Television In Thailand

george

Sorry Thanh, I like watching TV and I don't get a lot of time to do. I prefer to decide when and what to watch. I don't think I need the gov't trying to tell me when I can or can't.

We all need to cut back on energy usage, but I think it's up to everyone to do what THEY can to save it. For myself, I've slowed down while driving, try to drive at a steady pace (very difficult here) and I managed to almost double my gas mileage. I also plan trips more carefully and offer others rides (as well as catching a ride with friends). It saves energy, saves money and it's more enjoyable to spend time with friends.

I don't mind using public transport. I often park and use the BTS because it saves a lot of time if I have different places to go.

The point is people here don't want to give up their cars. A lot of it is status. I was recently talking with a group of people and they all plan to buy a new car in the next year--most with bigger engines, like a Mercedes, 4 Wheel Drives etc. None of them need one.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<

I know ###### well that petrol is not subsidised in the US.>>

It is indirectly subsidized through super-low gas taxes.

Gas taxes that are much lower than they should be encourage consumption.

Much lower than they should be?

Who says what the US taxes should be? - Greenpeace, OPEC, Shell, maybe the US should allow Thai Rak Thai party determine what our taxes should be?

<<

I know ###### well that petrol is not subsidised in the US.>>

It is indirectly subsidized through super-low gas taxes.

Gas taxes that are much lower than they should be encourage consumption.

Much lower than they should be?

Who says what the US taxes should be? - Greenpeace, OPEC, Shell, maybe the US should allow Thai Rak Thai party determine what our taxes should be?

We already have Bush thank you.

So, kicked out of the bars at midnight and now no TV either.  Looks like there might be a baby-boom in Thailand shortly!

Ruritania.

No, no Rumpole I think you must have missread the original post. It is an energy saving initiative and as such all baby making is about to become highly regulated.We can't have all that energy being wasted willy nilly.

There will be set hours for sex and you will have an alloted number of times per week you may indulge. It's all in the name of progress. :o

This is beggining to become a new Romania before 1989 :o . I used to fight with my grandfather when i was a child once every 2 weeks, because only 2 weekends/month you was able to take your car for a ride, the Tv was only working from 5pm to 7 pm and in those 2 hours you could only see the president and sometime a review on the country's agriculture and industrial progress :D .

So what about all of the massive construction projects going on in Phuket 24/7? That's using up a tremendous amount of energy. The many new malls certainly aren't cutting back on the air-con or lights... How about all of the electronic shops with dozens of TVs on all the time?

Find a blank channel with white noise (snow). ... That is theorectically legacy noise from the big bang. I could watch it for hours... :o

UBC is run by the CP Group! They will be getting a boost in sales if this policy goes ahead! Typical Thai logic, turn off the terestrial transmitters! There would be a greater power saving if the TV was turned off on the switch and not just the remote, the standby consumption is almost as much as the normal with a normal screen!

Isn't Mr Charoen a very close friend from Mr.T?First they traded chicken for arms now they shut all the tv stations except one.Do I smell something????

Find a blank channel with white noise (snow). ... That is theorectically legacy noise from the big bang. I could watch it for hours... :o

UBC is run by the CP Group! They will be getting a boost in sales if this policy goes ahead! Typical Thai logic, turn off the terestrial transmitters! There would be a greater power saving if the TV was turned off on the switch and not just the remote, the standby consumption is almost as much as the normal with a normal screen!

Isn't Mr Charoen a very close friend from Mr.T?First they traded chicken for arms now they shut all the tv stations except one.Do I smell something????

Yeah, dead chickens.

"There would be a greater power saving if the TV was turned off on the switch and not just the remote, the standby consumption is almost as much as the normal with a normal screen!"

No idea where you got the idea that a TV in standby uses the same amount of power as one in operating mode - they are very definitely nowhere near the same consumption. A TV in full operation is powering the receive electronics, the audio power amplifiers, the video processing circuitry, and the high voltage supply for the CRT or the plasma system supply, as well as any required deflection circuits (if CRT) - but in standby, none of these are powered up - the difference is an order of magnitude or more.

Having said that,it is true to say that there are a lot of people out there saving power by turning things off rather than to standby, and then wondering why the life expectancy falls - MTBF reduces drastically under certain circumstances.

:o