Of The Final 16, Which Team Is Your Favorite ...

Jingthing

Your favorite OTHER than your home country  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So we're down the final 16! Aren't we excited? I know I am.

So, OTHER than your home country's team, which is your favorite?

Please do NOT vote for your home country here; that defeats the purpose of this poll.

If you wish you can rank your preferences as I have below. So, for me, other than the US, these are my favorites in order --

1. Argentina

2. Mexico

3. Brazil

4. Holland

5. Uruguay

6. Chile

7. Spain

8. Paraguay

9. Portugal

10. South Korea

11. Ghana

12. England

13. Japan

14. Germany

15. Slovakia

Edited by Jingthing

argentina v brazil final.

outsider chances,japan and s.korea,i like their football.

spain and holland usually choke at the end.

Yes, the Saniards did slip up in their first game, but doubtful that will be repeated.

This Spanish team has gone past the choke it stage when they won the euro championship. They are the best allround team in the tournament with the greatest depth in squad, and baring a very special performance against them will probably win the tournament.

Forgot to mention, aside of England, i ofcourse voted for Brazil.

Edited by carmine

Aha, the poll from JT! Had to be coming.

I voted South Korea. Consistently out perform themselves. Doing it this year, and did it in spades in 2002. So much spirit in the team. They play a clean game too. Hope they go far.

Semi Finals will be Argentina vs Spain and Brazil vs Uruguay

Final will be Brazil vs Spain with the Spaniards winning the WC.

They have already had a bad game in this tournament and learnt from it. What an impressive midfield and attacking they have!!!

The Mrs's fortune teller, Mr Now, has predicted that England will be in the final! He knows I'm English of course, but maybe he's shot his bolt this time.

He was unable to say who the other finalist would be.

But could he be right? The problem would be if it went to penalties. Potential disaster.

My alternative fave. team is Argentina. And I'm increasingly warming to that arrogant, tubby litle git with a beaver stuck on his head.

To be clear, I meant favorite, as in you feel affinity towards them and would LIKE to see them win (usually less than your home country team though). As opposed to PREDICTING who would win. For example, Mexico is my second favorite because I would love for the Mexican people to have that high, but I don't expect them to win in any way.

I didn't need any warming towards Maradona. He's the shit. (That's good.)

Of course, being a good team and liking them for various other reasons is often mixed up. I am sure many people love the Brazil team largely because they have a history of being winners and its fun to cheer for a winning team.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok Jing, my vote would be for South Korea if my country team don't win. But that is not what I voted. I think also many people like Brazil because of their style of play, not just because they win.

I totally agree, sorry if it came off differently. However, you have to admit that even with their style of play if they didn't have such a great history of winners, they would have a lot fewer non-Brazilian supporters.

Ok Jing, my vote would be for South Korea if my country team don't win. But that is not what I voted. I think also many people like Brazil because of their style of play, not just because they win.

I totally agree, sorry if it came off differently. However, you have to admit that even with their style of play if they didn't have such a great history of winners, they would have a lot fewer non-Brazilian supporters.

I agree being a winner makes a difference, maybe the shots of the ladies dancing in the crowd celebrating goals also assists?

Not really the case JT. Reason is that arguably the greatest/most entertaining Brazillian side actually won nothing, but the football was fantastic. i understand your point, but i think football fans the world over love to watch them purely because of the style they play.

If they never made it to the World Cup finals, how many people who even KNOW about the Brazilians? People of course have different reasons for having favorites. Just pointing out again, this is not intended as a prediction poll. Though feel free to mention who you think will win, why not?

Edited by Jingthing

If they never made it to the World Cup finals, how many people who even KNOW about the Brazilians? People of course have different reasons for having favorites. Just pointing out again, this is not intended as a prediction poll. Though feel free to mention who you think will win, why not?

Can't that be said of any country in the world. Fact is they do.

I think as i said before, Spain just might well come through, but the tournament is looking fairly open which is a good thing.

Of course, it is obvious that Brazil is incredibly fun to watch. Well, usually anyway. The Brazil-Portugal game was dreadful.

Yes it was, but maybe a bit predictable due to neither side wanting to pick up injuries and cards, Brazil already through and Portugal also bar the math. Shame really, it could have been a terrific game.

I agree being a winner makes a difference, maybe the shots of the ladies dancing in the crowd celebrating goals also assists?

@Jingthing - people who have watched football for many years know a good style of play when they see one.

@473geo - I don't think dancing ladies would help Jingthing's assessment. :rolleyes:

The two teams I've enjoyed watching most have been Ghana and Chile.There's no holding back with this pair. Plenty of bright,inventive football from two young talented teams that are enjoying their time in South Africa.I can't say the same for the Chilean coach who looks odds on to have a coronary before the end of the tournament.Obviously,with their style of play,they make mistakes and the final ball is a bit erractic but good entertainment. I also like the way they are comfortable with either foot.

@Jingthing - people who have watched football for many years know a good style of play when they see one.

@473geo - I don't think dancing ladies would help Jingthing's assessment

Agreed, except in the sense that actually most anyone who is paying any attention at all can detect something interesting and vibrant about the Brazilian style, in other words in no way does it take years of watching football to see that. You couldn't resist a subtle American bashing dig, could you though? But if you don't see a team, you don't see their style. Duh!

Again, people may like different teams for different reasons. I also like to watch Argentina play, but not as much as Brazil, but for some reason I emotionally bonded with the specific ways Argentinians bond with their football teams (during a long visit there). So my affection for the Argentina team is partly a response to the people there. Of course if they didn't have a great team and a great tradition, there wouldn't be much basis to it. On the contrary, I really cannot relate emotionally to the way U.K. people bond with their football teams. I can't really explain why.

Did someone say something about Brazilian dancing ladies?

post-37101-043009100 1277539873_thumb.jp

(Not sure why this is showing up twice, ha ha.)

post-37101-023172900 1277539920_thumb.jp

Edited by Jingthing

Aha, the poll from JT! Had to be coming.

I voted South Korea. Consistently out perform themselves. Doing it this year, and did it in spades in 2002. So much spirit in the team. They play a clean game too. Hope they go far.

Agree my vote went to South Korea However I hope Germany win I have a £20 Each way bet on Germany so a South korea Germany Final would be nice and thats from a England Man

voted for the dutch.

always been a fan of the dutch, the players they produce and their style of play.

would love to see a repeat of the argentina v holland final, with holland coming out on top( plus it would be great to see that cheating little midget, coke sniffing wanke_r, maradona lose) for obvious reasons, me being english.

RVP hand of god goal would do me.

what do they say "what goes around, comes around"whistling.gif

fairytale team of the tournament, paraguay!

qualified with ease and no push over by any means.

Edited by tigerfish

Again, people may like different teams for different reasons. I also like to watch Argentina play, but not as much as Brazil, but for some reason I emotionally bonded with the specific ways Argentinians bond with their football teams (during a long visit there). So my affection for the Argentina team is partly a response to the people there. Of course if they didn't have a great team and a great tradition, there wouldn't be much basis to it. On the contrary, I really cannot relate emotionally to the way U.K. people bond with their football teams. I can't really explain why.

When it comes to cheering teams besides your home nation, for me the most important factor isn't how well they play but how honestly. Of course no team is whiter than white - they have all cheated at some point in time. But some teams have made it into an art. Argentina is one.

voted for the dutch.

always been a fan of the dutch, the players they produce and their style of play.

would love to see a repeat of the argentina v holland final, with holland coming out on top( plus it would be great to see that cheating little midget, coke sniffing wanke_r, maradona lose) for obvious reasons, me being english.

RVP hand of god goal would do me.

what do they say "what goes around, comes around"whistling.gif

fairytale team of the tournament, paraguay!

qualified with ease and no push over by any means.

How great would that be.....and the joy of seeing the stunted, scumbag midget balling his eyes out and the end of the game.

Would'nt that be fantastic :D :D :D :D :D :D