Thailand Post

Maejo Man

I had occasion to post a parcel overseas the other week. I checked the weight on the small digital scales I have, and winced. Shit I thought, this is going to be costly. Sure enough, when they told me how much it was twice the cost of the item.

What other options are there I asked. Surface mail he said, with 6-8 weeks delivery, or SAL second class airmail, with 3-4 weeks delivery. This was less than a third of the regular airmail, and I wasn't it that much of a hurry, so I said ok. So for 310 baht off it went.

Yesterday, exactly 10 days later I got an e-mail saying that it had arrived!!! Great service, and great delivery. So for anyone out there looking at posting overseas, consider SAL as an option:)

I ship a lot overseas. SAL can be very unpredictable. I think they wait until the container is full before it gets sent. Sometimes it is a couple weeks to the USA, other times it has taken 5 weeks! For most shipments under 2kg, I use Small Packet registered air. Quick and reliable for substantially less than regular airmail.

ok, great to know thx

btw,ive never had a problem posting from thailand to overseas

its always incoming that ive had problems(tax,theft etc) with,although not always the fault of Thaipost

My wife has a shop and buys regularly in Chiang Mai and Pratunam.

She always uses SAL (or Economy Air as it is sometimes called). She sends mainly clothing clothing and generally the cost of postage comes out at about 15-17% of the value of the consignment. Invariably the boxes are back to Melbourne in about 10-12 days and only once in 4 years have customs taken an interest, then she had to pay Australian GST tax and some import duty. we think that occurred, because about 4 cartons remained together right through the journey, I guess it looked more like a commercial shipment, not that she ever tries to be smart when filling in the customs declaration, she correctly identifies the contents and doesn't put "for personal use".

One last plaudit, the people at the Post office sell the boxes and invariably help you pack them, the first time we went to the big post office near Wororot, they took us to an area behind the main office, we were given coffes whilst they filled the boxes:D, never had a repeat of that though.

Do they have like express mailing? or Will I have to track down Fed Ex or UPS for that? I need to send documents to the US.... my taxes... which are late, even after the 2 month for people overseas. lol

Do they have like express mailing? or Will I have to track down Fed Ex or UPS for that? I need to send documents to the US.... my taxes... which are late, even after the 2 month for people overseas. lol

Yes they do.

and of course they have package tracking. good luck. i sent my taxes by registered mail early february. you get a lovely code number on your receipt that you enter into the thai post tracking system. to track the progress. in the system. unfortunately the code number doesn't actually get entered into the system. at least not in my case. maybe i'm unlucky. maybe the clerk just pocketed the extra fees. whatever, all i get from the thai system is 'item not found.'

and of course they have package tracking. good luck. i sent my taxes by registered mail early february. you get a lovely code number on your receipt that you enter into the thai post tracking system. to track the progress. in the system. unfortunately the code number doesn't actually get entered into the system. at least not in my case. maybe i'm unlucky. maybe the clerk just pocketed the extra fees. whatever, all i get from the thai system is 'item not found.'

International registered rarely shows up in the Thai system. If you sent it to the USA, it will show up in the USPS system when it arrives there (usually).

never showed in the usps system either. i did log onto the irs system, somehow finding the 'where be my refund' page. input my info and got 'your return is currently being processed.' unless that's a default answer, my letter did indeed arrive. but as it was a no-show in both systems, i assume the fee for registered mail, was also a no-show in the register.