Fiber Cement

rijb

Great stuff for enviornment......have used some of the siding material, shiplapped and the only complaint I have is that it is extremely brittle and won't take a bang like real wood. It'll crack. have to pre drill holes too, but can be attached with revets. Best thing is that it doesn't rot and bugs don't eat it.

I've used it a lot, the last job I used it on was a swimming pool deck and the sun slats over it, cost for the heavy planks was just about the same as wood but it lasts for ever. Easy to fix with the special screws that drill through the cement board then tap straight into a steel batten. You can easily cut it with an angle cutter then shape it with ordinary wood tools. Does not warp or rot, I like it a lot.

post-22250-005903800 1277738978_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
... and the only complaint I have is that it is extremely brittle and won't take a bang like real wood. It'll crack. have to pre drill holes too, but can be attached with revets. Best thing is that it doesn't rot and bugs don't eat it.

I like the idea of using it for skirting/molding/coving (take your pick), but wonder how it would be attached to a typical rendered brick wall. The way the guys did the wood molding at my current place was nailing it via a compressed-air hammer. I presume that would shatter this stuff? Would you have to glue it to the wall? (I'm just thinking ahead to renovating my next place, though not sure how imminent it will be.)

I used contact cement for mine. I tried regular construction adhesive first but that wasn't tacky enough to hold the base molding in place while it set. The contact cement works well but, as always with contact cement, you do have to position things right the first time.